rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Business Intelligence Careers

Got a question regarding this career and if anyone is currently working as a BI Developer.

I went to a networking event and got picked up by a company to get into this line of work. My previous experience is with Digital Marketing - SEO Engineer and I've got a Bachelors in Aerospace Engineering.

Looking at the job requirements, I am confident that I do not have 90% of the skillset required, however, the gist of the job responsibilities sounds pretty simple.

The gig is in Toronto, wondering what the entry level salary is like and also wondering if the learning curve is steep, and what a typical work environment is like at these type of positions.

Is this a new name for the old BA job title? (business analyst) someone who improves business systems and management?

BAs work with BI developers, the developer is the more technical and is developing the technology, the BA speaks with clients/ users and specs out requirements for the developer.

Don't know what entry salary would be prob around £35-40k. Most bi developers here in London are contractors and the going rate is about £500 per day.

BI is the process of converting a company's data into useful information that can be used to analyze trends, produce statistics, make forecasts, and find behaviors and patterns. Imagine a sales director using data from thousands of past invoices and accounting records to figure out which products they should spent more time promoting.

It's more or less an emerging career field that's gotten a lot more popular recently, with all the progress currently being made in big data, artificial intelligence, and the such.

On top of a solid math and statistics background, (which you prob have being an aerospace engineer), If you want to go the BI route, you also need to be quite familiar with databases, SQL and reporting tools such as SSRS.

Depending on your seniority, expect to make around the same as a software developer with equivalent experience.

PM'd.