rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Appropriate use/inclusion of professional designations

I'm just curious if people have thoughts on when exactly it's appropriate to include and use professional suffixes such as MD, CFA, P.Eng, JD, RN, MP etc. While certainly these are things people have worked very hard for and should be recognized as such, at what point does it just turn into an eye rolling, "all right, lets get serious" situation?

I've seen some people with multiple sets of letters after their names, and all of them are bullshit: Ms. Useless Cunt; BA, HR Certified, Six Sigma Rainbow Belt. The fact you got through a 3 year English degree with a C average doesn't make you special. Kind of along the same line as someone referring to themselves as "President and CEO" when it's really just a one-man show reselling phone cases.

Is there any sort of cutoff as to what constitutes a noteworthy suffix?

Secondly, I had a friend who's dad was a doctor, and my friend got a kick out of the fact that his dad signed permission slips as "so and so; MD" Yes you're a doctor, yes you worked hard, but are you now just trying to show off now?

For one, it varies by country. For instance, in Czech Republic they write their education on their stationery and front doors.

In the west, I'd use a title in writing when it is a professional conversation and your designations give you credibility to the subject matter. Especially when the certification is widely known in your field and takes sacrifice to get.

It's OK to include on letterhead (something in a template style, like your email signature), but gauche in personal correspondence.

If the designation came from a diploma mill, anyone experienced with your field will laugh at you behind your back. These are only good for impressing laypeople - hang them as office wallpaper, but don't use in correspondence with other professionals.

Be able to clearly explain why your designation is special and what it takes to get it.

Finally, if you write "John Doe, MBA" - you're a douche.

Data Sheet Maps | On Musical Chicks | Rep Point Changes | Au Pairs on a Boat
Captainstabbin: "girls get more attractive with your dick in their mouth. It's science."
Spaniard88: "The "believe anything" crew contributes: "She's probably a good girl, maybe she lost her virginity to someone with AIDS and only had sex once before you met her...give her a chance.""

I use a CPA designation when I'm selling to clients. It builds some credibility and makes saying what I will say to them afterwards much easier.

In social situations, like when I'm meeting people, I no longer use it because it can come off as a bit gay and nerdy frankly. Using MD after your name serves the same purpose (or not) in similar situations.

I'm proud of the work I did but prefer not to socially fuck myself over because of a designation because I'm socially calibrated and understand what works and what doesn't.

And yes, it's different for every culture.

Use designation when appropriate:
Potential customers, industry networking and the likes.

Do not use MBA, unless it proves a point or helps the cause.

"I love a fulfilling and sexual relationship. That is why I make the effort to have many of those" - TheMaleBrain
"Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb." - Spaceballs
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine" - Obi-Wan Kenobi