rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Going back to the US: Final thoughts on Spain and Europe in general

I've lived in Spain for over a decade and have also lived (briefly and many years ago, in France and the UK).

As some of you already know, I have decided to go back to the US since I am a firm believer that Europe is definitely overrated (and Spain even more so). I'm not returning to the US because I think it is some paradise - far from it, but I definitely agree with what several people have said here time and time again that if you are really ambitious and "alpha" style, US is still a much better place in many respects. After living in European countries for so long, I just don't agree with all the fantasies people have about this place.

You can disagree with me, obviously, because I am not going to take it personally like many Europeans do when you even dare give a different opinion. These are obviously MY observations but many people who have lived here can agree with me:

1. "Spanish people sleep siesta". Err, not really. At least, not in any major city. I don't know many people here, old or young, who actively have a siesta time. In fact, most Spanish people I have met tell me that it's an old thing, but not really the done thing anymore.

2. "Food in Spain is very good". OK, this is quite controversial and I've been through this many times on here with people who take this way too personally. On the whole, I find Spanish people are EXTREMELY PROUD of their food (almost to a fault). Personally, I think the food is OK, but nothing spectacular and it can be very repetitive. Almost all menus carry the same dishes on a frequent basis. Now me personally, I'm not a foodie...how can I be? I'm old school Protestant...food just isn't on my agenda as a lifestyle. I see Lunch as a chore, a way to get me to my next step and I'm relieved when I finish because I want to get back to work.Spanish, like their Italian and French cousins, on the other hand, LIVE TO EAT. Meals are long and there is way too much "table talk" (sobremesa as they call it) for my liking. I like to finish my meal and LEAVE. I don't really have a favorite dish and can eat anything depending on where I am -- adaptability, but I still prefer things like meat pies or buttered vegetables which are not so easy to get in Spain. A lot of their food is drenched in oil and don't even think about having lots of choice in supermarkets.

3. Related to #2 -- NOT ALL FOOD IS FRESH in Europe. I'm tired of hearing Americans and others idolize Europe and say "ohh they love to eat fresh". You can find canned vegetables and ready made meals just as you would in the US. But on the whole, it is true that they do make meals much more of a SOCIAL or family event. I just can't figure out how they tolerate so many family members or extended social circles all enjoying the meal. I could never enjoy a meal in a crowded table, let alone with extended family! Not all things are fresh here - you can also get chicken injected with antibiotics and the meat is crap for the most part unless you go specifically to a butcher shop and pay higher prices (which is also the SAME as in the US). If you buy a "regular" steak here in any supermarket, it's basically water and shrinks when you fry it. So no, dear Americans, stop idolizing the food. You can eat well ANYWHERE in the Western world today if you know where to look and have the time to make the right foods or use the right ingredients. Many Spaniards will even think that we don't have olive oil in the US and comments like "ohh here we eat very well unlike you Americans who eat junk food" get old REAL FAST. They all seem to have the same opinion about things in life and are quite smug and content in their ignorance.

4. Wine -- nope. In fact, most Spanish people drink WATER with their meals and wine is usually had on special dinner or lunch occasions. Likewise, more tourists ask for sangria than Spanish people, who drink more beer if they go out.

5. I don't find Europe (and I have traveled extensively throughout the continent) to be "more intellectual" than the US. Not at all. You can find intelligent and dumb people in every country...and not all Europeans know "a lot about geography and other countries". I've met French, Italians and Spanish who couldn't even tell me what the correct US capital is. Ignorance, unfortunately, is universal.

6. I also don't think that the quality of European democracies are better than the US. In the US, for all its major problems (And we have many), there is still much more representative democracy than in Europe and I would never trade the American political system for ANYTHING in Europe. Sorry. Most European "democracies" are basically run like a low-cost comedy service. Lots of useless Parliamentary banter and people who have nothing to lose because they have no stake in anything making important decisions. They call that "multiparty system" but that enables lots of clowns like Podemos Pablo Iglesias or Syriza in Greece to be in politics. The US sucks too, politically, but next to most European systems it is still a much more functioning, well-oiled machine.

7. "Europeans get more holidays and free healthcare". Nope..nothing in life is free. Europeans pay higher taxes, true, in exchange for single payer health system. The health system in Spain is very good, actually, but I honestly don't see most Americans tolerating having to go on waiting lists or being told what doctor they must visit or being seen for just 5 minutes for minor things (doctors in Spain's public system are timed with each patient, just as the NHS in the UK). As for holidays/vacation, yes, many Europeans have a lot more vacation than Americans, but it comes at a price: generally much lower salaries, lower productivity and anyway, what good is having so many holidays if so many people are broke? That's not to say the American middle or lower classes are in great shape, but to think ALL Europeans have paid holidays and live a great lifestyle is an exaggeration.
All in all (I don't want to write longer than this since I could write a book), I don't think any place on earth is a paradise and I don't think living in European countries is more "culturally enriching". Traveling is enriching, but if you are curious, there are hundreds of ways to get culture that don't involve living in Europe. I will retain great memories of my experiences living in Spain, France and the UK...but I'm not easily impressed and I do think the US is a much more dynamic place to be. It may not be so charming or historical, but if you are a "go getter" and are passionate about your work (and I love my work and love TO WORK) then there is no better place to be.

Walkable? Yes and No. There are places in Spain and other Euro countries that are NOT walkable. If you live outside major city centers...for example, Valencian towns...not having a car is not really an option. There are dozens of US cities, on the other hand, where having a car is not necessary and even if it is, the COSTS are much LOWER than in Euroland.

Living here for so long and speaking the language fluently gives me an insight into how things really are. Spain gets old, believe me. MOST SPANIARDS will say the SAME. When they find out I am from the US, most ask me, "what the hell are you doing here?" And they're right! I am grateful for the experience gained here, because it has given me a whole new perspective on life, but I feel like I have wasted many years in this country since there is NO possibility to get a decent high paying job in any field unless you "know the right people" and come from the "right family". Now, you get that in the US too but not as bad as here.

Do move to Spain if you:

Love skinny but rude, dark haired smoker women, are not ambitious, are not motivated, want public transportation, like soccer, like late nightlife(they are the best in the world when it comes to late night options, I'll give them that), like fried food, the beaches aren't great for surfing but hey they are topless! Want to escape a society filled with violent crime, want to learn the language, like to argue with Brits over which language is better American or English(I stopped hanging with these types of people because it gets annoying and is juvenile), want less social pressure to get a career get married have a family etc, would like to teach English, there is so much work here if you are motivated and resourceful you'll never have to worry about not having work in the teaching English field...but it is low pay and soul-destroying.

No matter where you are from, if you are very serious about things and like things to be done properly, Spain will eventually annoy you. But if you have a "happy go lucky" attitude you'll do very well in this country.

As for me, I actually agree with the Spaniards: come here to visit often, have a damn good time enjoying cheap alcohol and historical cities...but don't live here and don't raise your kids here. The education IS TERRIBLE. Now, the US has nothing to brag about in most public schools but AT LEAST there are truly brilliant people living in the US and contributing. Here? Nope. This isn't a country for ambitious people or brilliant minds. Never was, never will be. If you're ok with that, by all means, come! If not, it's a great place to visit for a brief spell.

Quote: (05-21-2017 02:14 PM)Baldrich Wrote:  

if you have a "happy go lucky" attitude you'll do very well in this country.

I *AM* doing quite well, actually!
[Image: moshpit.gif]

We move between light and shadow, mutually influencing and being influenced through shades of gray...

Thanks for the post.

It reminded me of the recent Joe Rogan podcast with Jordan Peterson, with Professor Peterson talking about Canada: it's not a place that deals very well with excellence. Spain seems like a place where excellence is not really understood. I can see how some people would go crazy in Europe, and I can also see how some people would feel right at home.

The U.S. is no paradise, but really, the whole world is fucked up in different ways. The everyday struggle is to feel like you belong and make the best of what you have. But life is hard, man, no matter where you go.

Quote: (05-21-2017 02:31 PM)Yeti Wrote:  

Thanks for the post.

It reminded me of the recent Joe Rogan podcast with Jordan Peterson, with Professor Peterson talking about Canada: it's not a place that deals very well with excellence. Spain seems like a place where excellence is not really understood. I can see how some people would go crazy in Europe, and I can also see how some people would feel right at home.

The U.S. is no paradise, but really, the whole world is fucked up in different ways. The everyday struggle is to feel like you belong and make the best of what you have. But life is hard, man, no matter where you go.

Exactly...and you learn quickly (I have European background) that even if that is the case, they will still always see you as "the American" so you know what? True...and let's make the best of it. Struggles will be a reality no matter where we live and there are no earthly paradises.

And yes, when it comes to excellence...that's not really the done thing here. In the US, on the other hand, you may get terrible schools but you also get excellent preparatory/boarding schools that simply are unheard of here. I've tested students here and most don't have a clue about many things that US kids now are forced to learn because of new state and federal standards.

Baldrich.

That was an honest and awesome post. I have some questions.

It seems like Spain, in addition to its shortcomings, just didn't match your temperament.

You don't care about food, and yet food is a big part of the culture, so even if the trains ran on time and the girls didn't smoke, you still wouldn't care about something that was extremely culturally important in Spain.

One question is, would you advise a young person planning on moving to a foreign country to take a lot of time to see what is important to them, and research the country to see if the culture matches up to the values of the traveler? Or is it something you just have to learn by going there?

Or, in your situation, do you think that there is a country you would have been happier in as an expat because it matches your values better?

Last question: Why did you choose Spain in the first place?

Wait. One more. I was under the impression that Spain is a pretty Catholic country, and you didn't mention the church at all. Is my impression wrong? And if not, did the influence of the church have any effect on your experiences in Spain?

“The greatest burden a child must bear is the unlived life of its parents.”

Carl Jung

Quote: (05-21-2017 02:48 PM)debeguiled Wrote:  

Baldrich.

That was an honest and awesome post. I have some questions.

It seems like Spain, in addition to its shortcomings, just didn't match your temperament.

You don't care about food, and yet food is a big part of the culture, so even if the trains ran on time and the girls didn't smoke, you still wouldn't care about something that was extremely culturally important in Spain.

One question is, would you advise a young person planning on moving to a foreign country to take a lot of time to see what is important to them, and research the country to see if the culture matches up to the values of the traveler? Or is it something you just have to learn by going there?

Or, in your situation, do you think that there is a country you would have been happier in as an expat because it matches your values better?

Last question: Why did you choose Spain in the first place?

Thank you for your response!

Yes, Spain and I have very different temperaments. They are, on the whole, more into family-social life, I am more into business and getting things done...eg: cutting all the BS. I can definitely see how many people who love social life and being buzzy and happy all the time can love it here, but that just isn't how I roll.

With regard to your questions -- it really is something you have to learn by living it and experiencing it for yourself. No amount of advice (positive or negative) will ever teach you anything unless you learn the hard way. I was told by many people YEARS ago that eventually I would return to the US and I was very stubborn refusing to even contemplate that since Spain and I had a pretty long honeymoon going -- why? That leads me to answer your other question:

In the mid-90s I traveled solo to Spain for the first time since my parents had family here and wanted me to experience traveling by myself. At that time, I was a teenager and Spain truly shocked me in a good way since it was SO DIFFERENT from the US: I fell in love with just how easy everything seemed -- easy to get tobacco, alcohol, go out to party, people on the whole were (and are, to a degree) less judgmental than in the US...easier to make friends (this is true) so coming as a teenager that really impressed me since my school in the US was grim, serious and students and teachers were mean to each other. After finishing college I decided to move to Spain because that memory always stuck with me...and the first several years were truly carefree. In fact I would even laugh at how stressed out people in the US were...but you can only laugh so long and lounge about before you realize that you are wasting your time here and need to get back on track. After several recent trips in recent years back to the US, I realized there were many things I missed and that due to my interests/character, I'd be better off over there, despite my youthful days when I thought the honeymoon in Spain would last forever.

As for Catholicism...no, most Spanish people don't ever go to Church anymore but I do feel the most negative parts of Catholic culture: wallowing in guilt, the ceremonialism, the humanism and expecting others to do things for you, as well as superstitious attitudes, is still a big part of the Spanish culture.

*I forgot to mention -- back in the 90s Spain was truly a fun place since they at least had the peseta rather than the euro so if you brought dollars the returns were much, much higher, prices were a lot cheaper and there weren't any of the absurd European Union regulations in place today. So, even in that sense, if Spain had something going for it was that it was a fun place...but it is becoming more and more "Western" today in that it closes earlier and earlier, expensive, feminism everywhere, lots of red tape and what's worse, one of the most corrupt governments of Europe. I know Madrid from its 90s/early 2000s days and now it has become a boring, overrated city that smells of urine and is a cesspool with the Carmena government. So that's another thing: if you come to Spain for the nightlife, fine...but you don't have to cross the Atlantic for bars to close at 2 am as they are starting to do more and more in Madrid and other Spanish cities are following suit. There is no reason (for ambitious people) to live in Spain.

So President Trump gave you a new, fresh hope for the USA. Or are you saying the timing of your return is coincidental?

I'm just saying, I'm noticing since D. Trump's victory, many Americans abroad getting ready to return to the US... some of these Americans were not on the Trump train though; I guess they hated Trump (for all the wrong reasons), but hey, they love the security, pride and wealth, and more than anything, hope, that President Trump is already bringing to the USA... I just wish they would admit it.

About your analysis of Spain, well, parts of it are, in my opinion, true; for example, as you noted Spanish food is nothing exceptional, and indeed is repetitive; but they do have good fresh products, smoked hams, fruits, some cheeses and even wines.

One thing anyway: you didn't integrate in Spain because you dislike the excellent senor Rajoy and Conservative (more than you'd guess) societies. Myself, I understand and like the soul of traditional Spain and Spaniards (I used to live in Spain, not Catalonia mind you), because like many of them I am traditionalist (and say, quite serious). Even tattooed Spaniards sometimes are secret Conservatives, and dislike migrants and gitanos. Also, respect for Franco's policies still runs deep in many, many Spanish families and souls, and yes, memories of the glorious Reconquista too.

Believe me: to live long-term in EE or even Spain, you better be a right-winger. If not, you'll feel bad at some point, and leave, and no local will miss you. They'll think, "Good riddance, Liberal dude, see ya".

Quote: (05-21-2017 03:19 PM)Going strong Wrote:  

So President Trump gave you a new, fresh hope for the USA. Or are you saying the timing of your return is coincidental?

I'm just saying, I'm noticing since D. Trump's victory, many Americans abroad getting ready to return to the US... some of these Americans were not on the Trump train though; I guess they hated Trump (for all the wrong reasons), but hey, they love the security, pride and wealth, and more than anything, hope, that President Trump is already bringing to the USA... I just wish they would admit it.

About your analysis of Spain, well, parts of it are, in my opinion, true; for example, as you noted Spanish food is nothing exceptional, and indeed is repetitive; but they do have good fresh products, smoked hams, fruits, some cheeses and even wines.

One thing anyway: you didn't integrate in Spain because you dislike the excellent senor Rajoy and Conservative (more than you'd guess) societies. Myself, I understand and like the soul of traditional Spain and Spaniards (I used to live in Spain, not Catalonia mind you), because like many of them I am traditionalist (and say, quite serious). Even tattooed Spaniards sometimes are secret Conservatives, and dislike migrants and gitanos. Also, respect for Franco's policies still runs deep in many, many Spanish families and souls, and yes, memories of the glorious Reconquista too.

Believe me: to live long-term in EE or even Spain, you better be a right-winger. If not, you'll feel bad at some point, and leave, and no local will miss you. They'll think, "Good riddance, Liberal dude, see ya".

No, my decision has nothing to do with Trump at all. I won't discuss the Presidential election here though, but my decision was from way before Trump.

I don't think Spaniards are "conservative" at all if by Conservative you mean small government, low taxation, freedom of religion, freedom of speech. FAR from it. They have a very fascist, Catholic past and the "alternative" they offer has always been either Communism or Anarchism...hardly the sort of place a freedom lover could really like.

Seriously though, have you even met the loads of young Spanish people who are totally left wing? I disagree - I think even a US liberal would come across as Conservative in Spain, since even liberals like Bill Maher are proud of the flag...whereas no self-respecting Spaniard would be caught dead flag waving in the American sense. Also, I do agree with you SLIGHTLY...on one point: most Spaniards are TRADITIONALIST, but that is not Conservative at all. I have noticed that what that really means is that they don't have a personality of their own and dare not break from the mold. My neighbor is a young Spaniard and he hates young people here calling them cowards and all. I think what you really should say is that even that rastafarian smelly guy smoking pot wearing a tattoo still secretly goes home to mama to wash his clothes and make his lunch or put his lunch in a tupper (even though he is probably well into his 40s). That's terrible and is not the society I wish to have.

What can you say about the girls in Spain compared to USA, UK or any other place you've been?

Interesting. Like you I traveled to Europe when I was young and had a honeymoon view that persisted and eventually I moved there.

And, like you, I wouldn't listen to advice from anyone and had the overly optimistic view that whatever the obstacle was, I would somehow dig deep and do what it took to make things work out how I wanted them to.

Also, like you, I found that there were some values that were important to me that were definitely not shared in the country I moved to (UK). I also found that it wasn't until I went somewhere that I even realized that these values were important to me. So, in a way, even though things didn't work out how I had envisioned, the whole experience was valuable because I learned two things.

First I learned what some of my deeper values were, and I never would have consciously learned that if I hadn't moved. Second, I learned that some differences are intractable, and no amount of positive thinking and self improvement will benefit you if you aren't in a place where you feel you belong.

I found myself to be pretty isolated in the U.K., and while I paid attention to how people acted, and tried to a degree to fit in, I was still being basically myself, and that wasn't good enough to fit into society. That is why I appreciated H1N1's post about the manners and protocols of the upper classes in Britain in another thread.

He made the point that people who aren't born into a culture may feel and think they are getting along fine, when people who have spent their whole lives there, and soaked the culture into their bones, may watching you and thinking, man he doesn't get it, for something as simple as what tie you chose to wear with what collar at what event.

The Americans I saw who found a place in the UK community where I lived were pretty hard core anglophiles, and loved nothing more than jettisoning their American social protocols for the new and (as they saw it) superior British ones. They may have always been just the American, but they really loved the English way of doing things, so they were just grateful to be there.

I found the upper class English to be completely inscrutable, and their ways were often, to my eyes, eccentric and nonsensical, so I was probably making all sorts of faux pas that I didn't even comprehend and, unlike my fawning fellow expats, wouldn't have cared about if I had known. Luckily one of the kinder parents at my kid's school was willing to be an anthropologist and explain why people did what they did.

It just wasn't my nature to follow along when I realized what was up. I would instead think, "that's lame." This is not a recipe for success, even in a place where most people share your ethnic background and you speak the same language.

Also, like you, on several occasions I heard, "Why the hell did you move here?'

Meaning, who would want to move to this place.

I have a lot of respect for guys who have moved to and succeeded in truly alien places like China. Takes a lot.

(Last point. I am not speaking of the UK in general. I was in a fairly small and insular city in a region of England that has a rep for being snotty. I didn't find the same attitudes in other parts of the country and for sure not in London. I am only talking about my experiences with a small segment of the population of an insignificant town, no matter how they seemed to view their own place in the great scheme of things. And Baldrich is right, it was the negativity.)

Carl Jung

Quote: (05-21-2017 03:33 PM)the-dream Wrote:  

What can you say about the girls in Spain compared to USA, UK or any other place you've been?

Well, I've written other posts about the women here but basically:

Most have an impressive BITCH SHIELD and are not generally pleasant to get along with. They can be extremely clingy/demanding and obnoxiously loud. Most smoke and have feminist attitudes...not much different to US women except that they aren't as obviously trashy in public (here public image and "what others will say" is still extremely important). Me personally, I'm not a fan at all of Spain's women and would never date one. The women I've had here have always been Northern European...who have personalities more to my liking than the loud dependent average Spanish woman. There's a reason you see so many fat balding guys here when they are in their 40s/50s. Women here are very stressful on the whole.

Quote: (05-21-2017 03:34 PM)debeguiled Wrote:  

Interesting. Like you I traveled to Europe when I was young and had a honeymoon view that persisted and eventually I moved there.

And, like you, I wouldn't listen to advice from anyone and had the overly optimistic view that whatever the obstacle was, I would somehow dig deep and do what it took to make things work out how I wanted them to.

Also, like you, I found that there were some values that were important to me that were definitely not shared in the country I moved to (UK). I also found that it wasn't until I went somewhere that I even realized that these values were important to me. So, in a way, even though things didn't work out how I had envisioned, the whole experience was valuable because I learned two things.

First I learned what some of my deeper values were, and I never would have consciously learned that if I hadn't moved. Second, I learned that some differences are intractable, and no amount of positive thinking and self improvement will benefit you if you aren't in a place where you feel you belong.

I found myself to be pretty isolated in the U.K., and while I paid attention to how people acted, and tried to a degree to fit in, I was still being basically myself, and that wasn't good enough to fit into society. That is why I appreciated H1N1's post about the manners and protocols of the upper classes in Britain in another thread.

He made the point that people who aren't born into a culture may feel and think they are getting along fine, when people who have spent their whole lives there, and soaked the culture into their bones, may watching you and thinking, man he doesn't get it, for something as simple as what tie you chose to wear with what collar at what event.

The Americans I saw who found a place in the UK community where I lived were pretty hard core anglophiles, and loved nothing more than jettisoning their American social protocols for the new and (as they saw it) superior British ones. They may have always been just the American, but they really loved the English way of doing things, so they were just grateful to be there.

I found the upper class English to be completely inscrutable, and their ways were often, to my eyes, eccentric and nonsensical, so I was probably making all sorts of faux pas that I didn't even comprehend and, unlike my fawning fellow expats, wouldn't have cared about if I had known. Luckily one of the kinder parents at my kid's school was willing to be an anthropologist and explain why people did what they did.

It just wasn't my nature to follow along when I realized what was up. I would instead think, "that's lame." This is not a recipe for success, even in a place where most people share your ethnic background and you speak the same language.

Also, like you, on several occasions I heard, "Why the hell did you move here?'

Meaning, who would want to move to this place.

I have a lot of respect for guys who have moved to and succeeded in truly alien places like China. Takes a lot.

Interesting! Something similar happened to me in England (although coming from the Northeast of the US and being a generally aloof person, I didn't have any social issues) but I found their system on the whole leaving a lot to be desired (although still better than the Spanish system). Living in Europe has really given me an appreciation for the American Founding Fathers. I always admired them, but now I fiercely understand their reasoning and they were right: America is best when we are independent from Europe and after meeting so many negative people in England, I thought to myself: the hell with them and long live the spirit of the Boston Tea Party. America was founded as a land for the daring, for the dissidents who wouldn't just "go with the flow" a la European way and know we can improve and make things better. I'll take American optimism any day over European negativity and envy.

Quote: (05-21-2017 03:27 PM)Baldrich Wrote:  

I do agree with you SLIGHTLY...on one point: most Spaniards are TRADITIONALIST, but that is not Conservative at all. I have noticed that what that really means is that they don't have a personality of their own and dare not break from the mold. My neighbor is a young Spaniard and he hates young people here calling them cowards and all. I think what you really should say is that even that rastafarian smelly guy smoking pot wearing a tattoo still secretly goes home to mama to wash his clothes and make his lunch or put his lunch in a tupper (even though he is probably well into his 40s). That's terrible and is not the society I wish to have.

even that rastafarian smelly guy smoking pot wearing a tattoo still secretly goes home to mama to wash his clothes and make his lunch or put his lunch in a tupper

[Image: clap2.gif]

I have to say, you've quite well described a huge chunk of Spanish young (or not so young) dudes here! False rebels, pampered by their families (and for the chicks, the same, only worse, adding lesbianism). The kind who vote for the Venezuelan rastafari party, Podefuckinmos.

[Image: podemos-pablo-iglesias-575x323.jpg]
^rastafarian smelly guy smoking pot wearing a tattoo still secretly goes home to mama to wash his clothes and make his lunch or put his lunch in a tupper... got fucked by Rajoy right in the pussy, by the way[Image: smile.gif]

Quote: (05-21-2017 03:58 PM)Going strong Wrote:  

Quote: (05-21-2017 03:27 PM)Baldrich Wrote:  

I do agree with you SLIGHTLY...on one point: most Spaniards are TRADITIONALIST, but that is not Conservative at all. I have noticed that what that really means is that they don't have a personality of their own and dare not break from the mold. My neighbor is a young Spaniard and he hates young people here calling them cowards and all. I think what you really should say is that even that rastafarian smelly guy smoking pot wearing a tattoo still secretly goes home to mama to wash his clothes and make his lunch or put his lunch in a tupper (even though he is probably well into his 40s). That's terrible and is not the society I wish to have.

even that rastafarian smelly guy smoking pot wearing a tattoo still secretly goes home to mama to wash his clothes and make his lunch or put his lunch in a tupper

[Image: clap2.gif]

I have to say, you've quite well described a huge chunk of Spanish young (or not so young) dudes here! False rebels, pampered by their families (and for the chicks, the same, only worse, adding lesbianism). The kind who vote for the Venezuelan rastafari party, Podefuckinmos.

[Image: podemos-pablo-iglesias-575x323.jpg]
^rastafarian smelly guy smoking pot wearing a tattoo still secretly goes home to mama to wash his clothes and make his lunch or put his lunch in a tupper... got fucked by Rajoy right in the pussy, by the way[Image: smile.gif]

I totally agree but that's because they are so utterly useless that they don't even vote! (THANKFULLY) although Rajoy is totally a tool as well and a coward for European Union interests.

Yep, lots of false rebels here but they're all usually comfortably middle to upper middle class and the mediocrity is stifling. Most of them went to a "concertado" school, daddy and mommy work in the civil service, they have "el chalet en el pueblo de abuela" and the "piso". Ugh!! I just get exasperated with the mediocrity here and the lack of imagination of people.

I don't have too much input but I think you chose the wrong country for sure. I am not being negative at all and have really enjoyed your posts but Germany would have suited you much better.

-You can be as ambitious as you want and people here respect that shit.

-I think eventually here you might have found a woman to your liking.

-There isn't so much pressure to adhere to social norms you can be more of an individual. If you are fed up with German shit you could always move to Berlin.

But all in all I am on your side. I am approaching year 7 here and Germany is wearing on me as well...

I will be dead fucking honest.. Only thing keeping me here is WORK and access to women. Otherwise the US is better.

Good luck bro!

Resident Germany Expert. See my Datasheet:
thread-59335.html

Mini Datasheets: Antwerp / Rotterdam / Lille

Quote: (05-21-2017 03:11 PM)Baldrich Wrote:  

*I forgot to mention -- back in the 90s Spain was truly a fun place since they at least had the peseta rather than the euro so if you brought dollars the returns were much, much higher

Were the seeds of discontent sown around the time when you had to begin living on locally-earned income? That's a familiar pattern.

[Image: 1pgriw.jpg]

Carl Jung

How did you manage to not get laid with Spanish women again?

We move between light and shadow, mutually influencing and being influenced through shades of gray...

Quote: (05-21-2017 04:28 PM)kirdiesel Wrote:  

I don't have too much input but I think you chose the wrong country for sure. I am not being negative at all and have really enjoyed your posts but Germany would have suited you much better.

-You can be as ambitious as you want and people here respect that shit.

-I think eventually here you might have found a woman to your liking.

-There isn't so much pressure to adhere to social norms you can be more of an individual. If you are fed up with German shit you could always move to Berlin.

But all in all I am on your side. I am approaching year 7 here and Germany is wearing on me as well...

I will be dead fucking honest.. Only thing keeping me here is WORK and access to women. Otherwise the US is better.

Good luck bro!

Thanks! I honestly really liked Germany to be honest...it would be the only one of the few countries I would enjoy on the continent...especially due to most of the people.

Quote: (05-21-2017 05:02 PM)El_Gostro Wrote:  

How did you manage to not get laid with Spanish women again?

Oh I just never looked for any to get laid with...they're not my type at all (they never were).

@Flaco:

Not really since I was actually making WAY ABOVE the average salary in Spain...so comfort was not an issue.

So what's the ganja situation like over there, are those rastas smoking decent weed in Spain?

I'd say it's mostly Moroccan stuff, hash for the greater part.

Cattle 5000 Rustlings #RustleHouseRecords #5000Posts
Houston (Montrose), Texas

"May get ugly at times. But we get by. Real Niggas never die." - cdr

Follow the Rustler on Twitter | Telegram: CattleRustler

Game is the difference between a broke average looking dude in a 2nd tier city turning bad bitch feminists into maids and fucktoys and a well to do lawyer with 50x the dough taking 3 dates to bang broads in philly.

I concur with Baldrich. Even in Scandanavia there is a similar lack of imagination and blandness. Things are so regulated by the massive euro nanny state governments that people become very uncreative and cookie cutter. All of the stores tend to have the same limited selection and no variety in any particular item like pastas or shampoo or whatever. The people are also reflexively leftist everywhere all the time always. There are few free thinking 'rational' people and individual rights and limited government is on the mind of .01% of the people.

The US has its downsides but I can imagine how long term life in Europe would suck. People just dont have the can-do attitude and don't value quick efficient transactions. We have so much more of an optimistic and individualist cowboy mentality. I woudn't mind owning a home in europe but I don't think I could livr there permanently.

Quote: (05-21-2017 08:02 PM)Cattle Rustler Wrote:  

I'd say it's mostly Moroccan stuff, hash for the greater part.

Yep, hashish.

On the picture below on the top left is plaques of Kif hashish with a granulated texture and yellowish color on the inside, or how do we say in Portugal "Pólen de hashish".

The oval ones are a more pure type of hashish, oily and darker, similar to Plasticine in terms of texture, it is done in oval shape of around 5 to 10 grams each for it to be easily swallowed by the drug mules who get them in the Atlas Mountains in Morocco. More stronger effects.

[Image: attachment.jpg36718]