rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Relocating out of NYC at 39

Hello everyone. I've always enjoyed reading this forum, and there is more accurate information here on locations than anywhere else I have found.

Here is my situation. I'm 39 and live in New York. For a variety of reasons, my career (and industry) hasn't really recovered from the 2008 financial crisis and I've decided it is time to cut my losses and move elsewhere. NYC is great, don't get me wrong. I'm past the stage of caring THAT much about chasing women. I've slammed quite a few models, dancers, and other assorted beautiful women and at this stage, I prefer comfort and financial security over a wide variety of women. I do want to date regularly and perhaps settle down, so abundance of notches is no longer a priority for me.

My line of work is somewhat odd where I can make between $120K and $150K pretty much anywhere in the country and up to $200K under certain circumstances.

I am white, 6'-2", and fit.

Locations I am considering:

Washington, DC: I have a job offer there, friends, and go there frequently so I know a lot of people. It's easy to establish a life there. I know the city is hated here, but I'm well aware of the drawbacks. The cost of living is not as low as I would like, but it's not horrible like New York.

Miami: I also have a job offer here, and potentially could make even more than DC as there is somewhat of a shortage of qualified people in my field. The major drawback is the fact I am white and not at all hispanic. I also do not have many friends there. It is unknown to me how hard it would be to restart my life, but the much lower cost of living and no state income tax is alluring. There are hot women there, and I scored an 8-9 college girl just a few weeks ago.

Dallas: I've got some ties there and an opportunity, but no offer. The cost of living is very low, which is attractive.

Other cities include Atlanta, Louisville, Indianapolis, and even Birmingham, AL. I've been to all four, and they are fine but with the exception of Atlanta, could be limiting. I've long desired to live on the West Coast of Florida, but my job prospects there are a little more dicey.

Anyway, I'm open to any reactions to to the above, or even alternatives! I'm particularly interested in the opinions of white guys who live or have lived in Miami. I read a couple other threads, and the city seems hated by many even more so than DC.

Cheers!

Personally, I think you should pick Miami or Dallas. Frankly, I think Miami has more to offer in terms of lifestyle. You can't beat the beaches.

Being white in Miami isn't a negative and it isn't a hispanic city in the same vein that Mexico City is. There are many white people there and you'll do fine. It obviously has a spanish influence like much of the sunny south, but I chalk that up to history (Florida being a spanish colony for a long time and Cubans immigrating). Adds some flair.

I would pick Miami over DC in a heart beat if the price point was right.

Why would you leave NYC in the first place? Just living costs?

I'm familiar with Indy and wouldn't recommend it. It's a fairly dirty, disorganized city without much in the way of that kind of job.

How about Denver? It's relatively clean with a nice climate and there's a decent finance scene there....plus great women.

Quote: (04-11-2017 07:33 PM)Cheetah Wrote:  

Why would you leave NYC in the first place? Just living costs?

At some point, you have start thinking about the future. While the income I have may seem high to you, I assure you it is barely enough to live a reasonably decent life in New York City. This is especially true if you want to constantly be chasing women.

The goal here is to find someplace that is a reasonable compromise.

Quote: (04-11-2017 07:52 PM)Easy_C Wrote:  

I'm familiar with Indy and wouldn't recommend it. It's a fairly dirty, disorganized city without much in the way of that kind of job.

How about Denver? It's relatively clean with a nice climate and there's a decent finance scene there....plus great women.

Thank you for the feedback on Indy. I just have a random guy I used to work with who moved out there with his wife.

Denver is actually a city where my biz is a bit oversaturated. I did look into it, but it seems like it would be a bit more tough for me. I do like that city though!

Quote: (04-11-2017 05:55 PM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

Personally, I think you should pick Miami or Dallas. Frankly, I think Miami has more to offer in terms of lifestyle. You can't beat the beaches.

Being white in Miami isn't a negative and it isn't a hispanic city in the same vein that Mexico City is. There are many white people there and you'll do fine. It obviously has a spanish influence like much of the sunny south, but I chalk that up to history (Florida being a spanish colony for a long time and Cubans immigrating). Adds some flair.

Thank you for the comment about Miami. I keep hearing so many mixed things about Miami. It's a really tough decision!

Quote: (04-11-2017 08:12 PM)helmutschmidt31 Wrote:  

Quote: (04-11-2017 05:55 PM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

Thank you for the comment about Miami. I keep hearing so many mixed things about Miami. It's a really tough decision!

Why don't you take a vacation there and see what it is like?

Find an Airbnb in a neighborhood that people live in and scope out the places that would fit into your new routine. Go to a grocery store, check out a few bars nearby, see what weekly activities would interest you.

In my own experience, you really have to visit a place to really take in what it is like to live there. I know people who love Boston and I think it is the world's ultimate shit hole of stuck up and miserable people. I was only back for one night and had some cunt at the airport yell at me for cutting her off with my bags. It took 5 minutes for me to realize why I left New England!

People on this site rag about Los Angeles and how terrible and fake it is. In my experience, people here have been astoundingly friendly. I'm married, but women have been very receptive to me. When I was here last, my experience was roughly the same. I never understood the fakeness claim and I think people who make this claim are projecting something. People are always friendly to me even though I may not see them again.

To each their own. Fly out and spend a week or two and see what it is like.

Personally, weather is probably the most important aspect of a city and Miami has it in spades.

Phoenix/Scottsdale Area.

Strongly consider buying a raptor too.

Quote: (04-11-2017 08:50 PM)ms224 Wrote:  

Phoenix/Scottsdale Area.

What's good about Phoenix/Scottsdale area?

I liked the heat ( I know lots of people don't). Cool modern architecture, nice girls, I want a cactus too.

Its a huge metropolis as well.

Lots of defense/aerospace/high tech (as opposed to tech) industry if you are in that field.

Agreed you need to do some targeted visits. I've done a lot of research on potential relocations spots (am in Norcal) and Dallas / FTW is top of my list. I'm also considering Florida which has some great niches. Maybe you really need that proximity to water after being in NYC! You never know where you'll feel good and fit in, so check things out.

Do you have to restrict yourself to the US? Could your work be as easily managed from a beach in Thailand or an Austrian after ski lodge?

when you live in south florida, you get tired of it quick. people are very superficial and materialistic. it may work out for you if you are doing better than most but I would spend a week there.

Tampa/Clearwater is nice, don't know about employment or what industry you are in.

Atlanta is nice but half non-white. Dallas is like Atlanta but all white.

Tampa/Phoenix/Atlanta/Dallas your money will go much farther than miami/DC

Quote: (04-12-2017 01:00 AM)Vicious Wrote:  

Do you have to restrict yourself to the US? Could your work be as easily managed from a beach in Thailand or an Austrian after ski lodge?

No, unfortunately. It's commercial real estate related and location dependent. I definitely wish I could swing it though!

Quote: (04-11-2017 08:45 PM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

Why don't you take a vacation there and see what it is like?

Find an Airbnb in a neighborhood that people live in and scope out the places that would fit into your new routine. Go to a grocery store, check out a few bars nearby, see what weekly activities would interest you.

I actually just spent a week there, but almost entirely on South Beach with 2 nights in Brickell. It's easy for me to party there if I so desire - I have enough friends and connections. My time there before was crazy, but I did score a college girl who was there on spring break. Probably an 8 or 9 too.

But, the world outside of Miami Beach is less known to me. Honestly, may main concern is making normal friends who don't want to hit it up on South Beach every weekend. I am definitely too old for that, even if I can swing it occasionally. I've scored a number of girls there in my time, but looking back none are exactly suitable for a relationship. There are hot women in Miami, but there is something off about many of them or they are tourists.

There are definitely things I like about Miami, but it seems to provoke a serious visceral, negative reaction in many people. Thus I seek advice from folks who see the world as we do!

Miami all the way - great lifestyle and with your income, you're fine.

How much are you able to sock away making $200K a year?

Quote: (04-11-2017 09:38 PM)Truth Tiger Wrote:  

Agreed you need to do some targeted visits. I've done a lot of research on potential relocations spots (am in Norcal) and Dallas / FTW is top of my list. I'm also considering Florida which has some great niches. Maybe you really need that proximity to water after being in NYC! You never know where you'll feel good and fit in, so check things out.

I don't know if I *need* proximity to water. This is good to know someone else is considering that area. For me, it would be the biggest stretch is I think I only have one friend there from college.

Quote: (04-12-2017 07:30 AM)SunW Wrote:  

Well, this is the major reason I am looking to move. I would easily be able to max out my 401K, and put an additional $2000 per month away. So, I appreciate your affirmation that you can live well on that income.

It looks like you can get a sweet 1-bedroom in a doorman building in Brickell for $1,800, or a crappy old one for $1,400 or less. Going out is always expensive anywhere it's worth going out, so I know that going in. But, I feel like there are more options that don't involve partying. I'd like to spend my Saturdays playing golf for example, instead of recovering from a hangover. But, the option is there to party if you want.

Quote: (04-12-2017 07:39 AM)helmutschmidt31 Wrote:  

Quote: (04-12-2017 07:30 AM)SunW Wrote:  

Well, this is the major reason I am looking to move. I would easily be able to max out my 401K, and put an additional $2000 per month away. So, I appreciate your affirmation that you can live well on that income.

It looks like you can get a sweet 1-bedroom in a doorman building in Brickell for $1,800, or a crappy old one for $1,400 or less. Going out is always expensive anywhere it's worth going out, so I know that going in. But, I feel like there are more options that don't involve partying. I'd like to spend my Saturdays playing golf for example, instead of recovering from a hangover. But, the option is there to party if you want.

This helps to make it easy to answer - you're looking to put away about $42,000 a year (18K for retirement, 24K extra saving).

You know what you like, so pick a place that is near where you want to go (if you don't want to have a car) and that extra saving from no car can be added to a nicer place. On Miami Beach, it's possible to not own a car and just use Uber to get where you want to go if you make a occasional trip to the city.

Quote: (04-11-2017 08:50 PM)ms224 Wrote:  

Phoenix/Scottsdale Area.

I would second this. It is my top choice for leaving the northeast.

Fair cost of living, relatively low crime, relatively low taxes, brilliant scenery, plenty of 'big city' amenities and nightlife with resorts and outdoor activity, and an astounding mix of talent in the Tempe and Scottsdale areas as long as you like blonds with big tits. Easy access to Vegas, San Diego, and the mountains. The healthcare and technology corridor near the Scottsdale Airpark is thriving.

The summer heat is brutal, but you can swim in the morning and never sweat all day, and then sit outside by a fire pit almost all winter.

Hidey-ho, RVFerinos!

Quote: (04-11-2017 08:07 PM)helmutschmidt31 Wrote:  

Quote: (04-11-2017 07:52 PM)Easy_C Wrote:  

Thank you for the feedback on Indy. I just have a random guy I used to work with who moved out there with his wife.

Denver is actually a city where my biz is a bit oversaturated. I did look into it, but it seems like it would be a bit more tough for me. I do like that city though!

In that case what about Salt Lake City or Boise?

Both cities have a couple factors going for them if you're interested in long term living
  1. Relatively friendly tax environment
  2. low cost of living
  3. Areas are dominated by more conservative cultures
  4. If SHTF these states are largely self sustaining
  5. To support point #2: We are likely to see considerable racial violence if there's any further economic collapse. Both areas are racially homogenous
  6. Climates are...a bit on the cold side, but reasonably amenable to self sufficiency

Re: Indy The local economy is dominated by Eli Lilly which is something I forget to mention before. There are some good points to the city. First one is that COL is very low (but salaries are lower as well). There are also some nice areas mostly concentrated in the Carmel region, but it's an odd city because there isn't a clear "good" and "bad" side of town aside from the area near the Southern belt being almost universally shitty. You'll have an upscale area (like the area called "Keystone" for the high end mall nearby) that's literally a mile north of a ghetto area where Walmart and Dollar Tree are your good shopping options.

I like this thread. Helmut, tell me what you decide on.

I think this is a tough call, and there are no easy answers. DC is actually ok provided that 1) you make decent money, and 2) you don't expect to get tons of new cute girls all the time (DC is a good place for being in a LTR) without significant investment.

Miami is Miami, a whole different world. However, the only thing I worry about Miami is the CR factor: how good is the market there vs. other places you mentioned? Of course Grant Cardone is living there and has his HQ in Miami, so maybe it ain't all bad. DC has lots of cranes in the sky all over the place.

I think women should not be too high on your list of priorities. You need to think about your job, the lifestyle you want, and the vibe of the place. I love visiting Miami, but would never want to live there. I like the DC area, but many/most hate it. You mention that you have social contacts in DC, and that cannot be underestimated. It is significantly more difficult to make friends when you're older, although this forum helps with this immensely.

I've heard great things about Dallas, including the women (relatively speaking), but never been myself.

Quote: (04-11-2017 08:45 PM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

People on this site rag about Los Angeles and how terrible and fake it is. In my experience, people here have been astoundingly friendly. I'm married, but women have been very receptive to me. When I was here last, my experience was roughly the same. I never understood the fakeness claim and I think people who make this claim are projecting something. People are always friendly to me even though I may not see them again.

To each their own. Fly out and spend a week or two and see what it is like.

Personally, weather is probably the most important aspect of a city and Miami has it in spades.

Friendly =/= genuine. It's true that people are friendly in LA, but those friendly people often tend to be flaky and insincere. It can be very difficult to forge deeper connections with people, even if they're superficially pleasant. They might be laid back and nice to your face, but that doesn't mean that they actually like you and, in my experience, a lot of those "nice" people won't hesitate to shit on you behind your back. To that end, I totally get where the perception of fakeness comes from regarding LA because I've experienced it as well.

Still, as you said, It's easier to be around people who are generally pleasant, even if they don't give a shit about you, than those who are openly miserable and obnoxious like so many are in Boston. You're also right about weather and the effect it has on peoples' wellbeing.

Quote: (04-12-2017 10:26 AM)Easy_C Wrote:  

In that case what about Salt Lake City or Boise?

Both cities have a couple factors going for them if you're interested in long term living
  1. Relatively friendly tax environment
  2. low cost of living
  3. Areas are dominated by more conservative cultures
  4. If SHTF these states are largely self sustaining
  5. To support point #2: We are likely to see considerable racial violence if there's any further economic collapse. Both areas are racially homogenous
  6. Climates are...a bit on the cold side, but reasonably amenable to self sufficiency

These are good points and are some of the major considerations I have as well in my own plans for moving.

I've never been to SLC so I can't comment on that, but I will say that Boise seems rough if you're in your 30s/40s and single.

It's a small dating market compared to the other areas mentioned in this thread, and it's the type of place where good girls get snatched up young and are typically married with a kid or two by the time they're mid-20s. That isn't to say you can't still pull one, but it will be tougher with so few options. It seems like the leftovers are mostly undesirables.

Now take what I say about Boise with a grain of salt because I've only visited a few times. However, I do have close friends who live there and this has been their experience as well. The research I've done online also seems to back up these claims. SLC seems like it could be a similar situation due to the strong LDS influence, but I have no firsthand experience there. Both Boise and SLC do seem like good places to live under the right circumstances though.

OP, I'd also second the PHX suggestions if you aren't concerned with the potential SHTF issues Easy_C mentioned. I'm from AZ and have lived all over the state. The years I spent in Tempe/Scottsdale were definitely the most fun, and I still consider moving back there sometimes. The low cost of living, great outdoors/nightlife, and tons of hot women all make for a very attractive combo.

I just hate the brutal summers that last forever, and the area is fucked for multiple reasons if the SHTF. You'll also need a car because "the valley" is incredibly spread out and has generally poor public transit, although I'm not sure if that's important to you or not.

I do have limited experience with Dallas and it seems to have a lot of the same things going for it that the Phoenix area has, minus the access to a wide variety of incredible outdoors activities.

Have you looked into places like Minneapolis or Nashville? Minneapolis, in particular, might suit your needs if you can handle the extreme winters.