rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How long and where to last with 300k

HI everyone, I apologize if this is not the correct section to post mods please move this to the right place.

I have 300k (sold my house and received money from a will) how can i make this money last or where can I live with this money for at least 25 years(dreamy thinking),,i dont drink alcohol and i eat mostly fruits,vegetables and go out 3 times a week,,,also would love to be in a country where i can access to nearby countries to visit.
i have an EU passport.

thank you

edit: specially countries with warm weather as I cant stand the snow or cold.

Come to Balkan and live as an upper middle class with that money lol

Come to Africa, and live as a billionaire buy houses and lands for future investment or invest in estate business is booming in my country presently...

ee,europe,southeast asia would be my choices

In some countries, with three quarters of that money, you can secure your financial future forever.

Like, take 240,000 USD, which are four times 60,000.

Buy 4 (middle-class suitable) apartments in a place without terrorism, with no civil war looming, and where urban security and rule of law are very satisfactory. In a country where people will not resent you as a foreigner, of course. Offer on rent these 4 apartments, thus securing twice the salary-equivalent of a middle-class engineer...

With the remaining 60K, buy an apartment for yourself close to a sunny beach with thin local women or tourists, and affordable cocktails year-long. Live off the money from your four rented apartments. Game chicks on the beach, publish a book a la Hemingway, learn capoeira or muay thai, occasionally post on RVF for the common good, and enjoy life. Voila...

Quote: (04-08-2017 04:38 PM)Going strong Wrote:  

In some countries, with three quarters of that money, you can secure your financial future forever.

Like, take 240,000 USD, which are four times 60,000.

Buy 4 (middle-class suitable) apartments in a place without terrorism, with no civil war looming, and where urban security and rule of law are very satisfactory. In a country where people will not resent you as a foreigner, of course. Offer on rent these 4 apartments, thus securing twice the salary-equivalent of a middle-class engineer...

With the remaining 60K, buy an apartment for yourself close to a sunny beach with thin local women or tourists, and affordable cocktails year-long. Live off the money from your four rented apartments. Game chicks on the beach, publish a book a la Hemingway, learn capoeira or muay thai, occasionally post on RVF for the common good, and enjoy life. Voila...

thank you goingstrong,,,can you please tell me whichs countries would these be ?

throw it in investments that generate 1500-3000USD/mo and you can live anywhere in the world outside 1st tier western countries. That's good $ in places like montreal and ridiculous $ in eastern europe or anywhere in asia outside seoul, tokyo, shanghai, beijing.

Even a savings account with a 1% interest rate gets you $3,000 a month.

Of course you might be able to do better than that with other kinds of investments (albeit riskier).

I don't know if the apartment thing is the best idea simply because you are not factoring several negatives such as the cost of paying someone to manage the place, wear and tear, cost of taxes and insurance, and the time which your apartment may sit empty because no tenant is in there, which means no income. Also in terms of appreciation, real estate in general barely appreciates past the point of inflation. Unless, you already have experience working in real estate and know how to find deals or depressed property and fix them up, in which case real estate would be the best place to deploy your capital.

If I were you I would consider buying quality dividend paying stocks which have a history on increasing their dividend payment every year. http://www.simplysafedividends.com/divid...istocrats/ Unfortunately, now stock evaluations are very high so it is hard to buy good companies like Coke or Procter and Gamble that pay above 4 percent in dividends. You could probably still make a portfolio of a mix of utility, energy, food, consumer staples, consumer discretionary, telecoms, and technology which could get you close to a 4% dividend. At that point you would have 1,000 usd a month of income from 4% of your portfolio. You would have truly passive income, be well diversified and experience far greater capital appreciation over the long term than owning real estate.

Game/red pill article links

"Chicks dig power, men dig beauty, eggs are expensive, sperm is cheap, men are expendable, women are perishable." - Heartiste

thank you all for your replies, it seems very complicated as i have never had a dividends account,,,or even a savings account.

what is i was to use the whole money each month?,,lets say 1500$ per month,,where and for long long would the 300k last? im looking at eastern europe,se asia and so on,,not north america or rich european countries,,

thanks again for your replies,,i really appreciate it

Quote: (04-08-2017 09:41 PM)CleanSlate Wrote:  

You have a savings account that pays 1% a month? Which bank? I wanna join.

Quote: (04-08-2017 10:22 PM)elrubionordan Wrote:  

thank you all for your replies, it seems very complicated as i have never had a dividends account,,,or even a savings account.

what is i was to use the whole money each month?,,lets say 1500$ per month,,where and for long long would the 300k last? im looking at eastern europe,se asia and so on,,not north america or rich european countries,,

thanks again for your replies,,i really appreciate it

My advise would be to not spend this money for at least 6 months to a year or even invest it in that time frame. You should read as many finance books as you can and maybe meet with a financial advisor that you can pay an hourly rate to for a consultation.

Do not waste this windfall or you will end up like the majority of lottery winners who shortly after winning are back to being broke.

There are several threads on this forum about cost of living for different countries members are living in. You will find that long term rentals abroad can be very cheap compared to Anglosphere countries and that transportation, food, and nightlife costs are usually much lower as well.

Game/red pill article links

"Chicks dig power, men dig beauty, eggs are expensive, sperm is cheap, men are expendable, women are perishable." - Heartiste

20 yr old Guy in Australia received a fully paid off house in Melbourne worth 400k (at the time) from his father. His father was marrying a new woman and starting a new family. He entrusted it to his son and said "good luck with your life.

Young man sells the house, takes the cash with him to Thailand where he learned to kickbox with the intention to go pro. Ten years pass, the young man is now 30 with a battered body, nothing to show for it. He returned to Australia with no skills, no cash and now works under my sister and makes 45k/year in Melbourne (which is not good) and rents living paycheck to paycheck.

Had this guy just kept the paid off house and got a job delivering pizzas his house would have appreciated in value easily over 1.5 million dollars in 2017. He would have been able to sell off the house and retire anywhere he wanted.

Guess it is time to drop some real advice and not cat pics.

Don't do anything immediately. And don't tell too many people. Read that again and again.

Seriously. Read that again and again.

Unless you have experience in controlling yourself while having access to large sums of money, it is very easy to see that money slowly erode away through little purchases and Impulsive investments.

I have noticed most people blow windfalls away because they just get carried away with themselves. It is different if someone made all money through struggle, late hours at work, invested wisely (made conscious investment choices no offense but a primary house is not a sign of investment prowess), been fired, etc. That person knows how hard it was to make that money and that person would be not so eager to lose it.

So I would just be reading and researching right now. If you are thinkng about moving somewhere make a trip and try to live on a budget. When you go to some of these places you will be a target for scammers if you don't find the right support. Less so in western countries. But you need to be careful regardless.

Everything has risk. Nothing is guaranteed. Real estate is not headache free.

Don't be in a rush. Seriously, take your time.

Edit: do some searching on the forum.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Quote: (04-08-2017 10:36 PM)BrewDog Wrote:  

Oops, 1% a year. Yeah, that won't do it for location independence. My bad for the mix up. In my defense, I posted this before I had my morning coffee [Image: biggrin.gif]

Buy a condo in the Philippines for $50k, conservatively invest the remaining $250k and skim off 4% per annum which is $10k or around $800/month. You will preserve or hopefully grow your capital, and be able to enjoy a basic lifestyle for the rest of your life. If you are minimalistic and don't care about travel, stuff, or status, it's enough money. Then just make a bit of money online, without risking anything, and you will be doing great.

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

Of course you might be able to do better than that with other kinds of investments (albeit riskier).

Can I hire you as my financial advisor?

I want you to do accounting tricks with my money too.

I'm the King of Beijing!

Given all the political instability going on right now, I think a lot of people are scratching their heads about what would be considered a good country for a stable investment/good property protections for foreigners and cheap standard of living.

Also given the impending automation apocalypse, the owners of capital are going to rule the world, so how to make sure to use this money to put one's self in the best position for mass automation and political instability?

How old are you ?

Quote: (04-09-2017 05:24 AM)LINUX Wrote:  

How old are you ?

Exactly. How old are you and what experience do you have? What are your life goals?

I am 32 and after working a good few years and getting redundancy I saved about 50K GBP and then it took my about 2 years to get a furniture shop open and I am now out of money (two years expenses, blowing money while bored, product development). I dont know if the business will work but my point is it depends on what you want out of life. People I know would use that as a down-payment on a house.

300K is really not enough to be able to retire on at an early age. You will easily get bored in a nice sunny 'holiday' destination and want to go back to your home country. I would suggest put 250K or whatever away in a safe long-term investment and then figure out what you want to do with your life/career and then plan how to use that money most wisely. With that money in ENgland you can have multiple gos at starting a small business and you have the means to fund any business in the early states without too much stress.

Going to Thailand or whatever is a dream that many talk about on here but from reading peoples experiences it seems to get old fast. Most people return to their country of birth where they have family and friends and a real life and want to be set up there in the long term.

thank you all for your time and replies, i am 26 yrs old.

i dont want a career, life is very short and to me a career means nothing,anyways im going to die one day with no money,no career so,i just want to live life day by day.I know eventually everything gets old so,thats the reason why id like to be in a place where i can travel to diff countries nearby.
i come from a poor country,so money never meant anything for me,i dont want a car,or a house with pool or a lux life,,just a safe place with SUN yes lots of sun and sea nearby,,i am currently in canada so,go figure how much i dont like this hhahaha

Quote: (04-09-2017 01:39 AM)CleanSlate Wrote:  

Oops, 1% a year. Yeah, that won't do it for location independence. My bad for the mix up. In my defense, I posted this before I had my morning coffee [Image: biggrin.gif]

Which ones offer 1% a year? Mine doesn't, I know that much.

Quote: (04-09-2017 07:40 AM)elrubionordan Wrote:  

just a safe place with SUN yes lots of sun and sea nearby,,i am currently in canada so,go figure how much i dont like this hhahaha

Seriously, come to a Dalmatia, region of Croatia on Adriatic sea. With 300k you could easily rent for cheap or even buy small apartment on the seaside / couple of kilometers away from sea and enjoy our country.

Split comes to my mind. You could find place to live in villages and small cities around it. For Game and experiencing social life you could go to Split with public transport.

@sterling archer i had read here that croatia is quite expensive no? what about flights out of there? and how safe is it? (safe meaning are there kidnappings often and stuff like that or is mostly a quite place?) i guess with mirco cro cop the country must be really quite hahahah

Quote: (04-09-2017 08:32 AM)churros Wrote:  

Quote: (04-09-2017 01:39 AM)CleanSlate Wrote:  

Which ones offer 1% a year? Mine doesn't, I know that much.

Some do. It's not that hard to find. E.g. Ally