rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Should I put effort into a used car with a lot of miles?

Paid $1500 for a used honda civic 2005, the body is in great condition and it drives well, the interior is also in tact and in great condition, I cleaned it up real nice, got some new mats, got a new radio for it and little stuff like a steering wheel cover, so whats the issue?

It has 260,000 miles...that is a LOT of miles and the person who sold it said it has no issues, Im gonna take it to a mechanic I know to check it out, so if he says its a ok, should I invest money into it such as new rims and other miscellaneous expenses, lets say a few parts go bad and need fixed, worth thr trouble of fixing a part here and there?

Overall I really like the car and I plan on using it for a while hoping it doesnt break down, should I be worried that it has so many miles or is it all in the care you take of it?

Does it have a full service history?? If so, being a honda ( applies to Toyota too) and if the engine sounds good, no smoke and no oil usage then I would keep driving it and change the oil and filter every 5,000 miles. Have the cam belt ( and tensioner and water pump) done too if it is due.

Don't spend any money on vanity parts for a 12 year old car with 260K miles. You ain't pimping shit on a beat ass civic.

I have an old Toyota with almost 400,000 miles on it and it's literally had zero problems other than the routine stuff that needs to be replaced periodically and routine maintenance. I think it's absolutely worth putting money in to and honestly 260 thousand isn't all that many miles for a civic as long as it was decently taken care of. Fuck a car payment man but yea, buying rims is gay in general especially for an old car.

I bought an old Honda with about that many miles a few years ago just so I didn't have to drive a truck every day. It was a 1987 model and it was incredible that everything still worked. Power windows and sunroof, pop up headlights, air-con, everything, even though it was almost 30 years old.

If you don't know when the timing belt (cam belt) was last done then have it checked or changed to be safe. Would also pay to check or change transmission oil/fluid. When mine finally did stop, was when the gearbox said "Enough!" and blew itself to bits. Used parts are so common and cheap that I could've got another one and swapped it out for beer money, but I've got enough projects so I retired it then.

Quote: (01-19-2016 11:26 PM)ordinaryleastsquared Wrote:  
I stand by my analysis.

Thanks guys, Im getting it checked next week and making sure its all fine, it definetly drives very good and no crazy noises or noticeable issues driving, as for the rims I wasnt planning on getting anything crazy to make it stand out, just something nicer since the ones it has are pretty beat up.

Definitely don't pimp any honda civic

OP, don't listen to any of these jealous fuckers who are telling you not to pimp your ride.

This is the direction you want to go in.

[Image: Honda_CivicFake_Kopie.jpg]

Guaranteed pussy.

I'm the King of Beijing!

Lmao

Funnily enough, the rims that mine came with are considered "old school" and very desirable to that crowd ^. They were top quality and worth more than I payed for the whole car.

Edit: If you do want to upgrade your rims... remember, what you are looking for is what everyone else is looking to get rid of. Check the classifieds and you'll soon find a set that will improve the look of your ride for next to nothing.

Quote: (01-19-2016 11:26 PM)ordinaryleastsquared Wrote:  
I stand by my analysis.

the way to think about this is your annual cost of ownership.

for most cars, like a new car, even if you pay cash there is a cost because a $40,000 car is worth only $25,000 after about 2 years, so while you may have zero repairs you have $7500 a year in depreciation. the first 30,000 are the most expensive for any car.

with a car like yours, i would invest in only necessary repairs to keep it running. some civics look pretty good and yeah 400,000 miles is possilble. If the inside is ratted out, maybe buy some black seat covers, floor mats. But no I wouldn't buy rims, etc.

realize there are things that will fail on a car due to age, not milage. Knobs will fall off. AC will crap out. For some things, you can go to pick and pull junkyards and get replacement parts for a tenth of the new cost.

But honda civic is a well made car and has better odds of getting to 400K than most cars.

May be of interest:

http://www.bangernomics.com/

Quote: (03-30-2017 04:21 AM)Suits Wrote:  

OP, don't listen to any of these jealous fuckers who are telling you not to pimp your ride.

This is the direction you want to go in.

[Image: Honda_CivicFake_Kopie.jpg]

Guaranteed pussy.

And don't stop with the expenditure.

[Image: golf-getunt.jpg?w=584&h=444]

It is especially impressive when men are dedicated enough to put in 150.000$ into a car that cost originally 20.000$.

Have someone start the car from dead-cold overnight while you're watching the tailpipe. Any smoke = next. Mechanic won't necessarily see that on the inspection since the car will be warmed up. It checks for valve guide wear which is expensive to fix.

Bugatti Civic is the way to go.

[Image: honda-civic-bugatti-veyron.jpg]

Quote: (11-15-2014 09:06 AM)Little Dark Wrote:  
This thread is not going in the direction I was hoping for.

[Image: tuning_18.jpg]

Would you put a lot of effort into a high mileage woman?

Thought so.

We suffer more in our own minds than we do in reality.
-Seneca

^^^What the fuck is that?

Don't spend money on rims, they will only add weight and look gay as fuck. Actually, if you go with rims, get some spinners so they can't see you stop.

It's a shame you didn't go for a 1994 civic, those fuckers look clean. These are from the OG Fast and the Furious movie. The only civics a man should get are these ones.

[Image: 75e1b19375af611ab76fa7372bc9f55c.jpg]

[Image: latest?cb=20160121044358]

Actually Honda's 90s lineup was clean as fuck. The Prelude, the CRX, Civic, Acura Legend, even the Accord. First car I bought out of Gran Turismo 2 was a fucking accord, and put a turbo on it.

Cattle 5000 Rustlings #RustleHouseRecords #5000Posts
Houston (Montrose), Texas

"May get ugly at times. But we get by. Real Niggas never die." - cdr

Follow the Rustler on Twitter | Telegram: CattleRustler

Game is the difference between a broke average looking dude in a 2nd tier city turning bad bitch feminists into maids and fucktoys and a well to do lawyer with 50x the dough taking 3 dates to bang broads in philly.

I'll take the proto-Acura. 1985 Accord SE-i

[Image: 4b693cd0b2fbd_147484b.jpg]

"A happy man is a happy everybody else in his life."

"Ladies if you want to make your man happy, think about what makes you happy and do exactly the opposite."

"Hey how you doin' and I hope you know that I'm an upgrade for your stupid daughter." - Patrice O'Neal

Cars are designed to be driven and if adequately serviced and maintained will go for hundreds of thousands, if not millions of miles.

This dude put 1M miles on a Porsche 356. Guy is interviewed and says he just had regular services with the same mechanic every time.

Mobil 1 took a 1990 BME 325i and ran it on a dunk at 85mph for 4 years straight and clock 1M miles no engine chances, just regular oil changes. Engine had same tolerance as a brand new engine.

http://www.mobil1.com.au/performance/miles.aspx

Don't shy away from a high mile car. Cars if looked after can last a very long time.

Quote: (03-30-2017 07:12 AM)Nordwand Wrote:  

May be of interest:

http://www.bangernomics.com/

interesting.

in the U.S. among some small groups there is anti-consumerism ethic that is taking hold, so having a car like this may be in indirect status symbol. Personally I drive a 10+ year old Honda even though I can afford much more. There is a certain freedom that comes from living below your means; you don't sweat your next purchase. If you want to splurge on a trip or something, you have the ability to do so because you have both the financial capacity to do so and the emotional capacity.

If you just want a commuter car, don't count it out. My Toyota DD just went over 300k, and it still runs like a Swiss watch. Everything works, too.

Лучше поздно, чем никогда

...life begins at "70% Warning Level."....

Quote: (03-30-2017 12:47 PM)Ethan Hunt Wrote:  

Cars are designed to be driven and if adequately serviced and maintained will go for hundreds of thousands, if not millions of miles.

This dude put 1M miles on a Porsche 356. Guy is interviewed and says he just had regular services with the same mechanic every time.

Mobil 1 took a 1990 BME 325i and ran it on a dunk at 85mph for 4 years straight and clock 1M miles no engine chances, just regular oil changes. Engine had same tolerance as a brand new engine.

http://www.mobil1.com.au/performance/miles.aspx

Don't shy away from a high mile car. Cars if looked after can last a very long time.

Yes - there are some old Porsches, Mercedes as well as a few American cars that were built to drive 500.000 miles or more with little maintenance.

There is plenty of data out there to find out whether yours belongs to that group.

Don't waste money on tons. Save it for any parts you may need in the future. Cars with high mileage can run into repairs ranging from needing a new serpentine belt and brakes to new struts and springs.

Chances are higher with all of mileage. You did buy a good car though.

I just bought a 2003 Ford Tarusus Ses with 87k miles on it for 2250$ . Will have to out some maintenance into it.

It looks like you could do better than 3k with the civic on Craigslist:

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/search/c...2005+civic

I'm going against the rest of the folks and say say the thing, take the cash and put a down payment on a brand new Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LTZ.

I get the consumerism and blah blah blah, but there's something to be said for a truck you can pass on to your grandson. Plus, imagine the confidence that comes from knowing you can pick up a giant cattle and go about your day like this guy does at 0:15:

When I get in mine in the morning, I crank the Bob Seeger and know its gonna be a good day.

Aloha!