rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How to be better at cooking - some useful tips

If there's one thing I've learned from years of working in restaurant kitchens, it is that THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES. Cooking, especially from recipes, is not a foolproof process. It took me years of tinkering and experimenting (and lots of yelling from great chefs) to finally understand how to season, flavor, and make food more palatable. I am now at the point where I use recipes as a guide, but never as a straightforward instruction manual. I'm not saying this to brag, but just to point out that a recipe can only do so much if you're lacking the understanding and the technique. There are many nuances in cooking that can make your food taste 10x better.

Hopefully some of you guys will find the following tips helpful, and feel free to add your own. I didn't want to get too technical and tried to keep these as direct and simple as possible. I'm sure Veloce will chime in with his expert opinion as well.

1) Pre-heat the pan - Now here's the thing. A lot of recipes will call for heating the pan on high and adding the oil until it's shimmering. Wrong. This will guarantee that you will burn the shit out of whatever you're frying/searing. The pan will get too hot, too fast. If you're using an electric stove, add about 2 tbsp of oil to a COLD pan and start heating on medium-low, which is about 4. Heat it for about 4 minutes. 4 for 4 is how I remember it. At that point, it will be hot enough, but not overwhelmingly so.

2) Make sure the meat/fish can slide in the pan - this is a check to see if your pan was hot enough when you placed the meat on it. As soon as you put down the product on the hot pan, give the pan a quick shake (back and forth motion) to see if the meat will slide - if it doesn't move from its position, the pan wasn't hot enough. This isn't the end of the world, particularly if you're cooking something like steak. But if it's a delicate fish, like tilapia for instance, it will stick to the pan and you will tear it apart when you flip it over to cook on the other side.

3) Start cooking garlic in a COLD pan - a lot of recipes call for minced garlic and to cook it on medium-high for 5 or more minutes. Big mistake. Minced garlic is extremely delicate and will burn quickly if your pan is too hot. Always add minced garlic to a COLD pan with COLD oil and let it heat up slowly - using the 4 setting on an electric stove. This will not only bring out the wonderful smell of garlic but also give you time to work on other prep for your meal without worrying that it's going to burn. Do not cook garlic for more than 2-3 minutes. You want to bring out the flavor, but not necessarily the color. A bit brown around the edges is OK, but no more than that - as soon as I can smell the garlic I add the next round of veggies or whatever it is that you're cooking with it.

Wrong:

[Image: 2a975fk.jpg]

Right:

[Image: i3di8p.jpg]

4) Season from above - this one you're probably more familiar with. And I don't mean that Instagram whore chef, who sprinkles salt from eye level. However, you do want a good distance from your fingertips to the actual food - 12 inches should suffice. The reason for this is the seasoning will be spread more evenly if it's done this way. You also don't just want to drop the salt or pepper directly onto the product - shuffle it between your fingers as you're letting it go.

This is good representation of proper seasoning technique:

[Image: 14o3tjb.jpg]

5) Secure your cutting board - this one's easy. Sometimes when I watch other people cook, their cutting board is sliding all over the place and I'm shocked that they aren't constantly nipping themselves with the knife. Simply moisten a paper towel or a rag and place it directly under the board. Press the board down and it now should be held in place. This is the foundation of your cooking [Image: lol.gif]

This is all for today folks. I will be adding more tips as time goes on. Let me know if you have any questions [Image: biggrin.gif]

Good info.

What are your thoughts on letting meat/fish sit out for an hour to normalize towards room temp?

Quote: (03-21-2017 09:56 AM)greekgod Wrote:  

Good info.

What are your thoughts on letting meat/fish sit out for an hour to normalize towards room temp?

Definitely! Not only that, but pat down the meat with a paper towel to make it dry and THEN season it. This will ensure that you will get a nice sear on it without draining liquid into the pan.

Awesome info, a lot of this stuff I wish I was taught at a young age. I had to learn by trial and error.

Here's a bit of advice I have too:

1. Indiscriminate use of spice. I always add way more spice (and garlic) to my meals than the recipe calls for. This took my meals from good to great. Of course, certain spices you don't follow this rule with such as salt and pepper. Those I use to finish with and round out what flavor is there. If you need baking soda/powder or anything that is a chemical or if you're baking use exact measurements!

2. High quality ingredients: don't skimp on meat and produce. I thought it was bullshit but it makes a huge difference. Find the happy medium between an aldi's and whole foods. I generally prefer to go to local produce and meat markets as the quality to price ratio is good.

3. Find a good recipe online that you like? Save it, especially if you're not one to whip something together.

+1 rep left for OP!

OP - Great info, thanks... What pan do you use as your go-to? Do you use any particular one? Link?

Never used a recipe book in my life. To me cooking is like playing instruments. Some people just 'get' it, it's instinctive. Others will always struggle. I can look at a pile of random ingredients and just know what will go and what won't.

I'm a big fan of £15 electric frying pans and woks. They last about two months being used daily then the non stick starts to go. Bin them and get a new one. Wipe them out with paper towel rather than wash them up.

@thebeast- Aldi and especially Lidl have some of the best quality meat and veg in the UK. They also source a huge percentage from the UK, which as a proud Brit I support wholeheartedly. Even Waitrose was caught recently selling New Zealand lamb in a pie as 'British lamb pie' They protested that the 'British' in big letters on the box related to the recipe. Tossers.

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...

Quote: (03-21-2017 10:44 AM)Slam Wrote:  

OP - Great info, thanks... What pan do you use as your go-to? Do you use any particular one? Link?

Pans should have some weight to them. I use stainless steel pans for frying and a non-stick for eggs, omelettes, and sometimes fish.

For stocks, stews or soups I have a Cuisinart 8-quart pot, though I'm looking to replace it.

The top row are my go-to frying pans, they are Kenmore stainless steel. The bottow row is my 8 inch non-stick pan and the Cuisinart pot:

[Image: 263jwyf.jpg]

Quality equipment is really important and probably deserves a separate thread. Another thing I should mention are tools. Most people just have a chef's knife and a cutting board. You should invest a little more and get some nice kitchen gadgets that can save you a lot of time and effort.

Here's what I currently have:

[Image: 28u39uc.jpg]

The thing on the bottom right is a potato ricer - excellent for making creamy mashed puree. You can boil potatoes in their skins and throw em directly into the ricer. My chef's knife is an 8-inch Victorinox, I think you can get it for about $75 on Amazon. Nothing fancy, but it maintains a sharp edge for quite a while. I only sharpen every two weeks or so.

I love this guy. I've learned lots from Chef John.

And if you don't know this guy, you've been living under a rock. I've never had a bad recipe from Emeril.

You mention alterations in technique when cooking on an electric stove. There's nothing in the kitchen I hate more than cooking on electric but nonetheless do so from time to time when I'm not in my own kitchen. I can never gauge the heat level appropriately without the visual cue from a flame. Do you have any other advice for electric stove cooking in general, or is it just something you get used to as you gain familiarity with a particular appliance's character?

Also, how about broiling? I've started using a broiler more and more, pretty much any time I'm doing a standalone vegetable outside of a stewed or sautéed sort of preparation. For example, love breaking a head of broccoli down into florets, microwaving a couple of minutes, then tossing in olive oil, salt, and pepper and throwing it under a 450 deg broil on a baking sheet for about 15 min. But maybe you have some other good ideas for other types of dishes that lend themselves well to a broiler?

For the broilers I suggest using Medettirenean pimientos and asparagus. Just throw some olive oil on it, pepper, big chunks of salt, let it cook for 20 min..and add lemon juice on the asparagus when down.

Tiger, I'd be interested in your thoughts on fish pairings.

I can cook the basics and then some with meats very well. Chicken, lamb, beef, steaks, roasts, duck, etc, etc I feel very confident with.

When it comes to fish and seafood, I basically have two dishes, Shrimp Fra Diavlo, Blackened Salmon, and I'll dable with some seared scallops or monk fish from time to time.

BUT I have no idea what to pair these with many times.

Do you have any recommendations for fish based dishes?

Quote: (03-21-2017 08:43 PM)MrRoundtree Wrote:  

For the broilers I suggest using Medettirenean pimientos and asparagus. Just throw some olive oil on it, pepper, big chunks of salt, let it cook for 20 min..and add lemon juice on the asparagus when down.

I can dig that. Finishing with lemon should brighten up a lot of broiled vegetables, come to think of it.

I'm thinking big now. I've done a few cool things with a broiler, like broiling halved tomatillos, jalapeños, and limes with whole cloves of garlic, all on one baking sheet til the tomatillos start getting blackened and roasty, to form the basis for a salsa verde and then dump the whole mess into a blender with some toasted ancho chilis and blend to a nice consistency. Or cherry/grape tomatoes again with garlic cloves, broiled and then tossed with angel hair and finished with parmigiano reggiano and basil or parsley.

I'm thinking whole meals of seafood or meat, vegetables, maybe some starchy tubers, all broken down to size based on respective cooking times, all thrown under the broiler together where their juices can meld and commingle and then served on a freaking massive baking sheet on the dinner table.

How's that sound? There's got to be a precedent for this out there somewhere.

Quote: (03-21-2017 08:58 PM)greekgod Wrote:  

I often have trouble pairing fish too. Many times I just eat the cooked fish by itself lol. Veggies are your best option though.

My go-to for fish are sauteed carrots and green beans. Absolutely delicious pairing and very light.

1) Cut carrots into small strips.
2) Parboil the green beans in salted water for 2 minutes.
3) Heat a pan with some olive oil and garlic, add the carrots and green beans, toss them with a little bit of butter and you're good to go.

Potato wedges work well for me too. You want to use red potatoes, and you want to make sure you par-boil them BEFORE you put them in the oven to bake.

Use quality oil for cooking. i'm from the mediterranean so I use a LOT of Olive Oil (i will call it just oil).
I'm also Portuguese, which means that my base for food is generally oil, garlic, onion. It adds a special good flavor. Don't over do on the garlic though. One or two small pieces, chopped, from a head are enough.

Make sure the ingredients you put in a pan are not wet. They will not fry and will boil instead. And they will taste like shit.
There are some plastic bowls that use centrifugal force to remove the water. These devices are good to remove water from salad/tomatoes and whatever else you need to put in a pan.

Different foods taste/feel better on certain times of the year. For example Pumpkin, chestnuts and cloves are better for Autumn, winter. Citrus and some herbs (like basil) are better for spring and summer.
It's important to know how spices go with food. Which combinations are good and which are an absolute no. Also do not overseason. You may put a bit more, but not a handful more. Remember that some spices are VERY intense.

Learn to marinate. Marinating is super easy and marinated meat or fish is very good and simple to do. And will go great on a pan.

Use season ingredients instead of the exported. Avoid frozen stuff and prepacked stuff like burgers or meatballs.
When you want ground meat, ask the butcher to do it. Never buy it packed as it has soy protein, sugar, flour and other shit.

Some meats and fishes are naturally fatty. When doing those, either use no oil or use a small amount. Make sure you take them out of the fridge 30-60 mins before you start to cook them.
When doing steaks learn how to sear it. Don't overcook it (rare - medium rare is the way to go). And when finished LET IT REST for 2-5 minutes.

Regarding different meats:
Chicken is a bit like soy. It absorves the taste of the seasoning.
Some bullet proof recipes are:
Chicken marinated in lemon juice and Rosemary (fried in a pan)
Chicken and green pesto (fried in a pan. Pesto added at the end)
Chicken with curry (done in a pot). Season chicken with salt and curry. Fry in oil (with garlic), add yogurt and a bit more curry and top it with a bit of coconut milk. let it simmer for a while.
Chicken meat should be served well done. No pink.

Turkey is a "low fat bigger chicken". I do like steaks of the chest, but i don't see many other applications for it.
Turkey leg goes well in the oven (with some sausage filling).
Meat should be served well done. No pinks.

Duck is, IMO the king of birds. And is expensive. If Turkey was low fat, duck is NO FAT. It generally goes into two categories:
Breast: A good duck breast is very good. If it comes with the skin then pan fry in "duck Magret" style. Skin side down, no added oil, flip, serve. Should be served Rare-medium rare. If they ever give you in a restaurant not rare-medium rare, turn it back.
Legs: Never cooked them.

Lamb is a fattier meat with a very peculiar taste. Somewhat expensive.
Lamb chops are great in a pan. Marinate them beforehand.
The rest of the lamb can go to the oven.

Beef is trickier than chicken. Different cuts have different uses. Apologies, but i do not know the english names.
Some cuts are good for steaks. Loin, sirloin, ribs.
Some cuts are good for minced meat (burgers, meatloafs, meatballs). Heat a pan (no oil. level 7/10). When hot place burger on pan. Flip After two-three minutes. Wait one-two minutes then top burger with a cheese slice. Add a bit(5cl) of water/beer/white wine to the pan and cover the pan with a lid for 1 minute. Reduce heat for a minute. Remove the burger from the pan. Let rest.
Some cuts are good for stews. They get so hard in a pan or oven that they really need to be boiled.

Pork:
I prefer pork done in an oven. I think that pork is more versatile than beef. Almost all pork can go to a grill and taste good.
Ribs, loin are both good in an oven or in a pan.
Pork belly is good in an oven, and thinly sliced is good in a grill.
In Portugal we also use the feet, ears and intestines, but I will leave this to some other day.

Regarding fishes:
There is a huge amount of fishes.
Grilling/"ovening" whole fishes does not require much effort as long as they are clean. No scales, no intestines. Salt on both sides, some herbs inside, slash 2-3 cuts, some lemon juice on top and a bit of herbs on top.
Oven 180ºC for 15-20 mins.
Tuna: I like tuna steaks. Treat them like a beef steak. Serve rare-medium rare. No need to "rest".
Salmon steaks/slices: Season with salt and pepper and either put it in the oven for 5-10mins or fry (low amount of oil) it for 3-4 mins on each side. Add lemon juice at the end.

Rice:
There are several types of rice grains. And each has their own uses. Basmati is easy to do and less likely to stick. Wash it and then boil it with a cardamom or an anis star inside. It will be looser.
Good Risotto is difficult to do, so if you don't master normal rice, don't try it.

Before trying a recipe, read it several times to make sure you know the whole steps of the process. When trying to cook to impress, make sure you've done the recipe before, even if in a smaller amount.

Other than that, practice makes perfect, so just Cook Cook Cook. And read/watch videos from good chefs/cooks like Ramsey and Oliver.

I can cook the basics and then some with meats very well. Chicken, lamb, beef, steaks, roasts, duck, etc, etc I feel very confident with.

When it comes to fish and seafood, I basically have two dishes, Shrimp Fra Diavlo, Blackened Salmon, and I'll dable with some seared scallops or monk fish from time to time.

For your monkfish, I will do this in a couple of days. It is very good.
https://easyportugueserecipes.com/monkfi...om-gambas/

Each fish has a different taste. Some of them you could make a stew, others like salmon only fry, grill or bake(is that the term). If you have just the meaty parts and not the whole fish you can make some with curry, or tomato sauce.
You can even make a gratin or fricassee.

My go to salmon preparation is side of salmon marinated for 1 hour in soy sauce, brown sugar, and lime. Cook on 350 degrees until just done.

Quote: (03-21-2017 11:04 PM)Pollito Wrote:  

Quote: (03-21-2017 08:43 PM)MrRoundtree Wrote:  

I can dig that. Finishing with lemon should brighten up a lot of broiled vegetables, come to think of it.

I'm thinking big now. I've done a few cool things with a broiler, like broiling halved tomatillos, jalapeños, and limes with whole cloves of garlic, all on one baking sheet til the tomatillos start getting blackened and roasty, to form the basis for a salsa verde and then dump the whole mess into a blender with some toasted ancho chilis and blend to a nice consistency. Or cherry/grape tomatoes again with garlic cloves, broiled and then tossed with angel hair and finished with parmigiano reggiano and basil or parsley.

I'm thinking whole meals of seafood or meat, vegetables, maybe some starchy tubers, all broken down to size based on respective cooking times, all thrown under the broiler together where their juices can meld and commingle and then served on a freaking massive baking sheet on the dinner table.

How's that sound? There's got to be a precedent for this out there somewhere.

Yeah 20 min at like 400..or when yourbpimiemtos are starting to lose volume. In Spain that's how they cook the limientos..or on the BBQ in aluminium.

Look for the bigger pimientos mallorquines too..these are great

Ok here's a question. I'm on a real cold streak right now -- I've been braising short ribs and briskets periodically and I've fucked up the last three or four batches. They are always too tough. I can't figure out that sweet spot where you can tear them apart and they are melt in your mouth juicy.

I have a big LeCruset Dutch oven. I brown the meat up, deglaze with some onion and then cover the meat with stock. I put in the oven for 3-4 hours at 250F (120ish C). Has anyone got a foolproof method for braised tough cuts of beef?

Quote: (03-24-2017 08:25 PM)komatiite Wrote:  

Ok here's a question. I'm on a real cold streak right now -- I've been braising short ribs and briskets periodically and I've fucked up the last three or four batches. They are always too tough. I can't figure out that sweet spot where you can tear them apart and they are melt in your mouth juicy.

I have a big LeCruset Dutch oven. I brown the meat up, deglaze with some onion and then cover the meat with stock. I put in the oven for 3-4 hours at 250F (120ish C). Has anyone got a foolproof method for braised tough cuts of beef?

Either raise your oven temperature or let them roast longer. 250 is a very low heat and you need all day if you're gonna go that low. A big brisket will take a very long time if you're on just 250.

And how much stock are you talking? Ribs and briskets have a LOT of fat and juice in them that will come out. The more liquid in the pan, the longer it takes to roast the meat. Don't use a stock but rather do a beef base rub. Beef base is a dry version of beef stock. Or chicken base is fine, too.

Here's how I do the most delicious, tender ribs you'll ever have... Rub them with beef base or cajun spice. Put foil tightly over the pan and roast them for 3 to 4 hours on 350F. The foil keeps in the moisture so the pork doesn't dry out. Take off the foil, discard the juice, and use your broiler to charr the tops of the ribs. (or save that fat juice and put it into some beans) Then brush on some BBQ sauce and put them back into the oven once again to caramelize the sauce onto the meat.

That sounds like a lot of steps but it's not. And it's easy as hell. I don't even sear the meat up front but I agree that would add depth of flavor if you wanna take that step. My technique is charring the tops at the end with the broiler instead of up front in a pan.

Also try using sweet and sour sauce on ribs instead of BBQ. Sweet and Sour pork is great!

And here's something I found out by complete accident... add a bit of sesame seed oil to your BBQ sauce and it makes a world of difference. Very delicious.

Fuck, I always leave the lid cracked and yeah almost fully submerged briskets or short ribs in liquid. I will try with the elevated temperature with less liquid and the rub. Thanks man, +1

Ok BrewDog I bought a 10 pound brisket today. Gonna rub it tonight with some spices, then try the dry roast tomorrow. I feel like I have a new lease on life now that I have realized everything I thought about oven cooked briskets is wrong. Your logic makes sense because I let briskets go overnight on the big green eggs dry environment etc but I just assmumed that since I was cooking in liquid I would be faster due to the high specific heat capacity of water.

Quote: (03-25-2017 07:08 PM)komatiite Wrote:  

Ok BrewDog I bought a 10 pound brisket today. Gonna rub it tonight with some spices, then try the dry roast tomorrow. I feel like I have a new lease on life now that I have realized everything I thought about oven cooked briskets is wrong. Your logic makes sense because I let briskets go overnight on the big green eggs dry environment etc but I just assmumed that since I was cooking in liquid I would be faster due to the high specific heat capacity of water.
Brisket is always a good idea. There's many times I'd rather have brisket than steak.

Put it in the pan with the fatty layer on top and no liquid at all. All that fat will melt down into the meat. And at the end, you'll have a tray full of juice and fat surrounding the brisket. With the foil enclosure, no evaporation will occur so it's not gonna burn into a little cinder.

That thing is gonna take a while, though, depending on how you like it. Some people want slices of brisket. But me being Southern, I like to let it get so tender you can shred it and put it on a bun for a BBQ sandwich.

Start out pretty hot with a brisket to get it going. I usually go for 400F for the first hour before I turn the heat down a bit. The foil over it will prevent it from burning on top. Then turn the heat down to 325ish and let it go for a few hours. I like to let my briskets go overnight. If you get worried about it then pull it out and poke it with a knife and then stick it back in; no harm.

Tell us how it turns out! Damn, now I want brisket.

BrewDog here are the results. Had to make a couple adaptations to your suggestion but close enough.

-Rinse off brisket. I didn't trim it of excess fat. Pat dry with paper towel
-apply rub. I used a mix of Smoked paprika, yellow dried mustard, Braggs all purpose seasoning (dried herbs like thyme and rosemary), salt, brown sugar, pepper, and an Onion Base-- my store didn't carry a beef base so the onion one sufficed. It's not onion powder, but a dehydrated powder derived from onion stock, same logic as a beef bullion product
-I put a bed of celery, onion and carrot at the base of the Dutch oven to ensure that the rendered fat wouldn't totally poach the bottom of the Brisket
-I didn't brown or sear the brisket because I figured the charred surface would get all soggy during the long cook. So directly into the pot, heavy lid on tight, into the oven
-I pussied out on the 300+ oven because I actually saw your post last night about doing the briskets all night long. I agreed but put it in at 240F in case I slept in. This was at 9pm
-11 hours later: woke up at 8 to a delightful aroma. Rushed to the oven and put in the meat thermometer probe and it registered 197F. That seemed fair so I pulled it out and covered it in foil.
-Rest for one hour
-The rest allowed it to firm up, I nearly broke it apart when I removed it from the pot
-However it was sort of slimy looking. So I figured a Reverse Sear was in order to get a bit of a crust going. What to do -- Propane BBQ grill, or broiler? I elected broiler in the oven-- grill is superior but I was worried that the meat would stick to the grill and fall apart. So I put it on a roast rack in a roast pan and blitzed it with heat, charred up nice but spattered a bit in the oven, had to wipe it down a bit after.
-Gravy with the fat removed drippings and some corn starch

It was pretty good and yielded 6 meals for my freezer, but I definitely will trim the fat next time, since the fat doesn't render out too much in the low oven it was just too fatty up top. This brisket had like an inch thick fat cap so that's on me, should have foreseen that.

Either way the actual meat was awesome and I'll definitely add this one to the arsenal. Sucks that I moved into an apartment that won't allow BBQ smoking on balconies and have to cook briskets in the oven at all but such is life. Thanks!

Quote: (03-26-2017 10:35 PM)komatiite Wrote:  

It was pretty good and yielded 6 meals for my freezer, but I definitely will trim the fat next time, since the fat doesn't render out too much in the low oven it was just too fatty up top. This brisket had like an inch thick fat cap so that's on me, should have foreseen that.
Some people trim the fat up front. I like to let that shit ride over the top and roast into the meat. If you thought it was "slimy" and had a bad texture because of it, then surely trim it next time to make it more lean. I like all that fatty goodness.

And I love your idea to use the fat to make a gravy. I always just put it into some white beans or something. I may try the beef gravy with the fat next time. I normally cook brisket at least once a month, so it won't be long before I try it. I use flour for my gravies instead of corn starch. Never tried the corn starch but I suppose it's the same. I would saute some diced onion and it would turn out into a nice Au Jus.

EDIT: Did you eat it like a roast with veggies, or did you make sandwiches?