rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

When do you obtain the Schengen Visa during transit on a multi-leg flight

I'm in the process of purchasing a flight ( with miles ) for someone that involves a shit load of layovers. This person will need a Schengen Visa. The itinerary looks like this:

Cali Colombia to Bogota Colombia
Bogota to Madrid
Madrid to Brussels
Brussels to Budapest.

At what point would the Schengen Visa need to be applied for during transit to Budapest. It's important because I need to shuffle the flights around to give enough time during the layovers.

You guys know more about Europe than I do. I'm hoping the answer is not until they get to Budapest as some layovers are 50 min, but I can shuffle things around to make it happen.

thanks

If the person in question is of Colombian nationality there is no need for a Schengen visa anymore (has been changed approx. 1 year ago). Immigration into the Schengen zone will happen at Madrid. I guess you are looking at Avianca flights for Cali-Bogota-Madrid. There is also a 3-4 times a week direct flight from Cali-Madrid with them. The airport in Madrid is efficient, a stopover of 2h should be enough for immigration and transit.

Ok. Thanks, So no visa is needed nor is anything needed to be purchased at the airport. So what do they do, just stamp your passport with something and mark it, "you have 180 days which you can't overstay 90 days of those in the Schengen zone"?

Exactly like that. The officer may ask 2-3 questions (where staying, purpose of travel) stamp the passport and that's it.

I see, what about this,

If I have a 90 day limit in Schengen zone. Say I have a roundtrip ticket which has a 4 month timeframe on it, coming to budapest and leaving from budapest -- April, May, June, and July. Do I need to prove via another airline ticket that I will leave the Schengen zone for at least 30 days in between -- not to overstay the 90 day limit?

Usually you should just be fine by saying where you want to go.

LINUX,

Don't know if you have seen this thread, but it might offer some answers.

(Start around post #143)

thread-31412-page-6.html

Is she leaving the airport at madrid?

She would need the visa or stamp at the first airport she gets out of, no?

Quote: (02-20-2017 03:07 PM)LINUX Wrote:  

I see, what about this,

If I have a 90 day limit in Schengen zone. Say I have a roundtrip ticket which has a 4 month timeframe on it, coming to budapest and leaving from budapest -- April, May, June, and July. Do I need to prove via another airline ticket that I will leave the Schengen zone for at least 30 days in between -- not to overstay the 90 day limit?

I'd say if she was American it would be no problem just to state that you planned to leave to Ukraine or somewhere outside of Schengen.

Given that she's Colombian (right?) it might not be a bad idea for her to have a bit of story behind it.