rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Does being hungry increase Approach Anxiety?

I'm on a relatively strict diet and often the food available to buy is varying levels of junk. When I go out I generally just fast for a few hours and eat at home later.

I suspect it's hurting me because I've been daygaming a bit now and I feel after being out for a few hours and being hungry, I just can't think straight to focus on the opener and the approach. It also seems to increase AA as I start being more and more worried about what the girl and onlookers would think of me and/or how "weird" I'm perceived as being.

Noticing the pattern, I think the smart thing to do is to bite the bullet and buy something semi-healthy at least so I don't feel hungry and mentally drained. So I'll probably do that from now on. It feels really bad because food here is not only not that healthy but also quite a bit more expensive than supermarket food.

Just thought I'd post this and see if anyone else had a similar experience and/or if I'm on the right track. I suppose in the past I thought I could "barrel through" being hungry but realistically speaking for me I don't feel I can. I also don't know if I'm using being hungry as an excuse.

Yes. There's a relationship between Glucose and Willpower. Ego Depletion can be countered by consuming carbs.

However: Getting anxious from being hungry means that your metabolism isn't conditioned to use fat as a fuel. You can train your metabolism to become more independent by doing intermittent fasting, temporary caloric restriction, cardio, ice baths, low-carb-paleo diets... everything that activates AMPK/PGC1a Pathways.

In the long term you should be able to approach withouth using much willpower. This can be done by making approaches a regular thing until it becomes ingrained as a habit. If you are not an naturally extroverted person, it literally requires drilling it in until it becomes second nature.

Sometimes fasting and socializing gets me anxious, but that's usually due to the coffee or not being in a social mood (yet). Other than that, I generally feel awake by being "hungry" (which mostly just means that your body cant use its own reserves. Real hunger starts after 2 days in my experience).

Everything is more difficult to do on an empty stomach. Hunger messes with your focus, your thoughts and can make you nervous.
I'm always much more relaxed after eating - however, you are already aware that this is a dangerous stimulus/reward path that can quickly turn you into a sloth.

What I suggest is to prepare a healthy meal at home and bring it with you. A high protein sandwich made with whole grain (true whole grain) bread and some veggies on the side should be it.

Eating too little or too much will throw you off when trying to game. I know I've thrown away approaches because I've been a shitty mood due to hunger. I also get really sleepy and anti social if I eat too much.

Like all social reactions, your mood plays a huge role, and being hungry is one of the fastest ways to get in a bad/anti social mood.

Quote: (01-17-2017 06:50 AM)reciproke Wrote:  

Yes. There's a relationship between Glucose and Willpower. Ego Depletion can be countered by consuming carbs.

However: Getting anxious from being hungry means that your metabolism isn't conditioned to use fat as a fuel. You can train your metabolism to become more independent by doing intermittent fasting, temporary caloric restriction, cardio, ice baths, low-carb-paleo diets... everything that activates AMPK/PGC1a Pathways.

In the long term you should be able to approach withouth using much willpower. This can be done by making approaches a regular thing until it becomes ingrained as a habit. If you are not an naturally extroverted person, it literally requires drilling it in until it becomes second nature.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I think the most reliable is to keep approaching until I get good enough and comfortable doing it subconsciously.

I'm 20 so I have a really big appetite as I'm still growing. I've also read teenagers may need carbs to actually function, so I'm not sure I can do low-carb. I actually do moderate carb paleo(rice, potatoes), which is also quite a bit cheaper than meat/vegetables/fats of similar calories.

Perhaps in the future when my hunger drops I'll consider trying to become fully fat adapted. It feels like the ideal.

I dont think it does. I mean, dont be starving and go approach, but a little hunger is a good. Youre a fucking hungry pussy hunting predator.

Food causes satiety. Not what you want when approaching.

There is a post meal bounce of dopamine I noticed that I theorized (because I was so acutely aware of it) ... and it was true. Any task if you eat you'l feel better and less anxious or demotivated in doing it

Amazing you posted this, I found this out a while back, mostly because I cycle throughout the year with very subtle changes in what I perceive to be mental acuity and motivation, which is neurotransmitter related. Is it seasonal affective on some level? Possibly, but it's real.

Quote: (01-18-2017 10:00 AM)lapalco Wrote:  

I dont think it does. I mean, dont be starving and go approach, but a little hunger is a good. Youre a fucking hungry pussy hunting predator.

Food causes satiety. Not what you want when approaching.

Totally agree.
I get the best results not on a full or empty stomach.

If you are full - you want to nap.
If you are hungry - you are distracted by thoughts on food.

"I love a fulfilling and sexual relationship. That is why I make the effort to have many of those" - TheMaleBrain
"Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb." - Spaceballs
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine" - Obi-Wan Kenobi