rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Meryl Street makes brave/heroic speech attacking Trump, Hollywood cheers

At the Golden Globes last night...

Quote:Quote:

Thank you very much. Thank you very much. Thank you. Please sit down. Please sit down. Thank you. I love you all. You'll have to forgive me. I've lost my voice in screaming and lamentation this weekend. And I have lost my mind sometime earlier this year. So I have to read.

Thank you, Hollywood foreign press. Just to pick up on what Hugh Laurie said. You and all of us in this room, really, belong to the most vilified segments in American society right now. Think about it. Hollywood, foreigners, and the press. But who are we? And, you know, what is Hollywood anyway? It's just a bunch of people from other places.

I was born and raised and created in the public schools of New Jersey. Viola [Davis] was born in a sharecropper's cabin in South Carolina, and grew up in Central falls, Long Island. Sarah Paulson was raised by a single mom in Brooklyn. Sarah Jessica Parker was one of seven or eight kids from Ohio. Amy Adams was born in Italy. Natalie Portman was born in Jerusalem. Where are their birth certificates? And the beautiful Ruth Negga was born in Ethiopia, raised in―no, in Ireland, I do believe. And she's here nominated for playing a small town girl from Virginia. Ryan Gosling, like all the nicest people, is Canadian. And Dev Patel was born in Kenya, raised in London, is here for playing an Indian raised in Tasmania.

Hollywood is crawling with outsiders and foreigners. If you kick 'em all out, you'll have nothing to watch but football and mixed martial arts, which are not the arts. They gave me three seconds to say this. An actor's only job is to enter the lives of people who are different from us and let you feel what that feels like. And there were many, many, many powerful performances this year that did exactly that, breathtaking, passionate work.

There was one performance this year that stunned me. It sank its hooks in my heart. Not because it was good. There was nothing good about it. But it was effective and it did its job. It made its intended audience laugh and show their teeth. It was that moment when the person asking to sit in the most respected seat in our country imitated a disabled reporter, someone he outranked in privilege, power, and the capacity to fight back. It kind of broke my heart when I saw it. I still can't get it out of my head because it wasn't in a movie. It was real life.

And this instinct to humiliate, when it's modelled by someone in the public platform, by someone powerful, it filters down into everybody's life, because it kind of gives permission for other people to do the same thing. Disrespect invites disrespect. Violence incites violence. And when the powerful use their position to bully others, we all lose.

This brings me to the press. We need the principled press to hold power to account, to call them on the carpet for every outrage.That's why our founders enshrined the press and its freedoms in our constitution. So I only ask the famously well-heeled Hollywood Foreign Press and all of us in our community to join me in supporting the committee to protect journalists. Because we're going to need them going forward. And they'll need us to safeguard the truth.

One more thing. Once when I was standing around on the set one day whining about something, we were going to work through supper, or the long hours or whatever, Tommy Lee Jones said to me, isn't it such a privilege, Meryl, just to be an actor. Yeah, it is. And we have to remind each other of the privilege and the responsibility of the act of empathy. We should all be very proud of the work Hollywood honors here tonight.

As my friend, the dear departed Princess Leia, said to me once, take your broken heart, make it into art. Thank you.

Quote:[url=htttps://twitter.com/goldenglobes/status/818295979182960640][/url]

So brave!

So if you replaced every word except for the word "I" with "me" you would have the same meaning.

Quote:[/url]

Quote:

Quote:

Trump is hitting back hard with twitter. I love it [Image: lol.gif].

On another note, [url=https://www.quora.com/Should-Trump-stay-off-of-Twitter/answer/Mike-Kayser]here is an interesting discussion of Trump's use of twitter from a game-theoretic perspective:

Brevity Constraint as Game-Theoretic Advantage: POTUS can utilize brevity as a negotiating advantage — since he cannot fully contextualize his comments on Twitter due to length constraint, he can make ambiguous comments and judge reaction before clarifying. Game-theoretically this enriches his possible space of moves.

Trump is still punching...this is going to be an interesting 4 years.

This was the biggest takeaway from me to show how out of touch Hollywood truly is...

Quote: (01-09-2017 08:09 AM)Roosh Wrote:  

Hollywood is crawling with outsiders and foreigners. If you kick 'em all out, you'll have nothing to watch but football and mixed martial arts, which are not the arts. They gave me three seconds to say this. An actor's only job is to enter the lives of people who are different from us and let you feel what that feels like. And there were many, many, many powerful performances this year that did exactly that, breathtaking, passionate work.

Tell that to all the people here in Tampa Bay flying in, renting cars, using accommodations, and spending money for the College Football Playoff this week.

Last time I watched a Hollywood flick, my girlfriend downloaded a torrent for free.

In response Kellyanne Conway appearing on Fox News gives Streep a roasting.

[Image: C1u2z_RXUAALta7.jpg]

This video is the sound of Hollywood celebrities' opinions in 2017.

Hollywood is crawling with outsiders and foreigners. If you kick 'em all out, you'll have nothing to watch but football and mixed martial arts, which are not the arts.

That's weird. I don't remember Trump ever threatening to deport all immigrants and foreigners en masse. Meryl Streep must be confused. Which is strange, because before giving a speech like this you'd think she'd have done some research.

All Trump needs to do is force the break up of the Hollywood creation and distribution cartels using the anti trust frameworks we have in place.

Make them pay for their hubris.

Quote:[url=https://twitter.com/neontaster/status/818454237856284672][/url]

[Image: RFNh04.gif]

Quote: (01-09-2017 08:54 AM)dicknixon72 Wrote:  

This was the biggest takeaway from me to show how out of touch Hollywood truly is...

Tell that to all the people here in Tampa Bay flying in, renting cars, using accommodations, and spending money for the College Football Playoff this week.

Last time I watched a Hollywood flick, my girlfriend downloaded a torrent for free.

Someone needs to build alt-Hollywood to prove that it would actually be possible to have entertainment media without leftist indoctrination. Seriously, if someone put some real investment into that ... couple of new studios, new streaming media service, all free of left-wing political propaganda and propagandists ... couldn't they take away about half of Hollywood's business in a heartbeat?

Quote: (01-09-2017 09:41 AM)Roosh Wrote:  

Quote:[url=https://twitter.com/neontaster/status/818454237856284672][/url]

Well, she DID have a prominent role in the 2004 remake of The Manchurian Candidate so I guess this can be the sequel.

"In America we don't worship government, we worship God." - President Donald J. Trump

Lesbo

[Image: U2VcVgL.png]

The public will judge a man by what he lifts, but those close to him will judge him by what he carries.

Reactions of some of the more based audience members:

[Image: kSnKU47.jpg]

On the Rogan podcast, Jordan Peterson was saying how in ancient Greece/Rome, actors were seen as a similar thing to prostitutes - they provide entertainment and pleasure but why else would you seek their counsel? Hopefully we are genuinely witnessing their influence waning.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H L Mencken

I think her rant last night just goes to show how out of touch the liberal elite are with main stream america. I happened to turn on the broadcast last night during someone elses rant it it immediately made me turn that off. Get over it,you lost, move on.

[Image: death-becomes-her-falling-the-stairs-o.gif]

Quote: (01-09-2017 09:44 AM)Edmund Ironside Wrote:  

Quote: (01-09-2017 08:54 AM)dicknixon72 Wrote:  

Someone needs to build alt-Hollywood to prove that it would actually be possible to have entertainment media without leftist indoctrination. Seriously, if someone put some real investment into that ... couple of new studios, new streaming media service, all free of left-wing political propaganda and propagandists ... couldn't they take away about half of Hollywood's business in a heartbeat?

I've long held the belief Meryl Streep is overrated. I don't know how much dick she had to take to get where she is today -- but she's reached a point in her career where she could be filmed taking a shit in a paint bucket and people would say "That was the most beautiful, poignant shit ever taken." Fuck Meryl Streep and all of her ass-kissing sycophants.

Also, I'm not sure what constitutes "the arts" to Streep, but mixed martial arts are very much an art form. Her snobbish elitism kind of came through on that comment, in my opinion.

There absolutely needs to be an alt-Hollywood. I've mentioned that same idea in many different threads on RVF -- in the "Feminist Ghostbusters" thread, "Star Wars: Rogue One" thread, etc. Can you imagine what great content could be produced by a studio that didn't have to tow the bullshit SJW party line?!

If they keep hanging on to that narrative/attitude, they're in danger of losing more than the election...

“As long as you are going to be thinking anyway, think big.” - Donald J. Trump

"I don't get all the women I want, I get all the women who want me." - David Lee Roth

Thanks for posting this. Many of us tuned out Hollywood, not to mention actors' political opinions, a long time ago. Without this thread, we would be unaware. I didn't even know the Golden Globes were on last night.

I watched this for the first 30 minutes and had to turn it off. Nearly every joke, speech and monologue was a slight towards Trump, his so called ignorant voters, and general sour attitudes about 2016. Fallon had one comment to the effect of 'game of thrones is here with multiple nominations, I know many of you wondered what the show would be like if King Jauffrey wasn't killed, well we're going to find out in 2017.' Every award was given to the most PC nominee, a bunch of shows I had barely heard of and had no interest in. Clearly our demographic is not the target market, good riddance.

Its so condescending to have Hollywood talking down to the masses as if they know what regular people's lives are like. It was all cringe worthy Hollywood circle jerk. We already have redpill news outlets cropping up, it wouldn't hurt to get some art and entertainment going as well. What are some good recent non-hollywood shows and movies that you like? I was already an MMA fan, I might have to become an even bigger MMA fan just to spite them.

Quote: (01-09-2017 09:33 AM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

All Trump needs to do is force the break up of the Hollywood creation and distribution cartels using the anti trust frameworks we have in place.

The solution was proposed five years ago:

Repeal the Hollywood tax cuts!

I am afraid that women appreciate cruelty, downright cruelty, more than anything else. They have wonderfully primitive instincts. We have emancipated them, but they remain slaves looking for their masters all the same. They love being dominated.
--Oscar Wilde

Quote: (01-09-2017 11:28 AM)durangotang Wrote:  

Reactions of some of the more based audience members:

[Image: 4D5s7qD.png?1]

A few of them are smart enough to realize that she was further alienating most of their target market.

Quote: (01-09-2017 01:31 PM)MOVSM Wrote:  

Quote: (01-09-2017 09:33 AM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

The solution was proposed five years ago:

Repeal the Hollywood tax cuts!

That would just send even more production to Canada or England and piss off the grunt workers who make 99.9% of the industry work. The way to hit Hollywood is to not see the movies. That way, they don't have one person to blame for ruining an industry, they have to keep screaming about uneducated, racist Americans until they're insanity is exposed.

Quote: (01-09-2017 01:41 PM)Captainstabbin Wrote:  

That would just send even more production to Canada or England and piss off the grunt workers who make 99.9% of the industry work.

It would give them some skin in the game and make them pause for thought whenever they lobby for more regulation and taxes. Right now they are immune to it.

I am afraid that women appreciate cruelty, downright cruelty, more than anything else. They have wonderfully primitive instincts. We have emancipated them, but they remain slaves looking for their masters all the same. They love being dominated.
--Oscar Wilde