rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Sales People That Started Their Own Business

I'm in the beginning of my sales career.

I work in Cybersecurity sales and just finished my first year cold calling as a lead generator.

Have a long way to go but eventually want to move into inside sales position and eventually outside sales.

The goal is to start my own business with the skills I will develop.

My question is to guys that have done sales as a career and left to start their own business. What type of business did you start?

Given that my only skill set will be knowing how to sell a product or service. I feel as though I will have to learn how to create the product or provide the service or hire someone that knows how to do it.

Thanks a lot!

Interested x2.

Quote: (12-25-2016 01:52 PM)colblionel Wrote:  

I feel as though I will have to learn how to create the product or provide the service or hire someone that knows how to do it.

It sounds like you already know what you need to do.

I'm the King of Beijing!

Quote: (12-25-2016 07:31 PM)Suits Wrote:  

I feel as though I will have to learn how to create the product or provide the service or hire someone that knows how to do it.

lol I'll have to hire someone than

Quote: (12-25-2016 08:29 PM)colblionel Wrote:  

Quote: (12-25-2016 07:31 PM)Suits Wrote:  

lol I'll have to hire someone than

While knowing that you'd like to move in the direction of having your own business will be useful in decision making, simply deciding that you'd like to do so is not especially helpful.

Desire is different than ability.

The first step is the interest.
The second step is having an actual idea for a product (or line of products). This step is challenging if an idea doesn't simply occur to you naturally.
The third step is determining if that idea is actually viable as a business.
The fourth step is following through with actually creating that product(s), selling them and growing your business.

If you desire to have viable products, simply hiring someone to create them is not an easy fix. Any with the talent to create viable products is not going to do so for a set paycheck if they can avoid it. Doing so will prevent them from cashing on the real potential of their product.

If you have a solid idea of your own, you can hire people to create aspects of it (and you'll probably have to), but the idea still needs to be yours.

If you cannot create an idea for a viable product yourself, your best bet is to find someone who has a great idea, but no capital and then invest (financially) in their idea with a mind to sell it personally in the future.

I'd recommend watching a couple seasons of Shark Tank. Watching people go on this show and get torn to shreds by the potential investors for believing in (or overvaluing) an idea that they (the pitchers) unrealistically think is amazing will open your eyes to the need to subject yourself to strict personal scrutiny in this journey (and to always get valuable feedback from other people).

I'm the King of Beijing!

I started off selling shoes and ipods at 15. I sell internet software for direct response information marketers.
In high technology, the biggest paradox is that the best technology may not sell. But the buyers want the best at the right price.
But in the same breath, the real breakthroughs in the 80s-90s that accumulated 80% of that profits were sales oriented companies Microsoft and Oracle come to mind.

It depends on where you are on the high tech totem pole are and where your ambitions are. I will include a good e-book below after this:
There are plenty of sales centered cyber tech companies. No real breakthroughs just big and relatively competent sales force.

Ideas are very overrated. Find things that are already selling and improve exponentially on that. ex) Tesla has four wheels like any car. It's the first electric car. But it's business model is radically different from competitors.

Know your market infrastructure inside and out. Know the CEOs and marketers by name in your industry.

Goto Trade shows

Get smart, smarter than anyone who is in your industry!

I am a Product AND Sales guy. Being the market leader is the supreme ideal. So creating a breakthrough and being able to capture the profits through a solid distribution strategy is essential. Most technologists make a huge mistake with this. They don't know how to create a profitable business model.
On the other hand there are tons of SaaS businesses out there with no real differentiation and that's where commoditization and competition comes in.
Long story short. Welcome to to Discount City. and there goes your commissions.

My experience has been:
I learned how to code! I bought every book on the subject and locked myself in my room and learning everything there is about technology.
I already know how to sell. So, hitting two birds with one stone. This is KEY: When managing and hiring programmers it is very hard for a sales guy to tell if an engineer is any good
I know how to code and sell. So employees can't bullshit me. Above all, the respect me. They can't sink my company with technical debt and fuck ups. Yet, work harder because I'm working hard
Delegation is good but if you are not leading from the front. Your troops will bail. Morale is everything in business.

Contrary to common belief all the big guys are technologists that learned how to sell. Not the other way around.

There's a book(I mentioned above) you may enjoy: 10 Pillars of Wealth by Alex Becker
I don't agree with him being so sales centered and being in the tech space. But, it seems to work with what he wants.
He hangs out with Tai Lopez if you're into that. I'm not, but his info is really good for beginners...

In summary. Work for a market leader with a reputable product or Start by becoming a market leader with a stellar product.
Everyone else silently suffers... Buyers as with women want to be with the Champ.

PS: Get started as soon as you can. Don't Waste Your Youth.
PPS: Always pay for dinner as a vendor. Relationships are the backbone of a company.

Required Reading:
REWORK by Jason Fried
Purple Cow by Seth Godin
All Marketers are Liars by Seth Godin
How to Get Rich by Felix Dennis (founder of Maxim)
... If you're a big dog--> High Technology Marketing by William Davidow

Thanks for the info from both you guys. Definetely something to think about.

I thought this was a good article recently;

Mark Cuban: If I lost everything and had to start over, here's what I would do

Sales is very important of course. Cuban is a natural born salesman. Love him or hate him now after the election, he put the holy trinity together;

Product
Salesmanship
Risk

He created a product(s), sold the hell out of them, and took the risk to go out without a net and put it all on the line to make his business work.

You'll only create loyal customers, fans and good vibes with a good product/service. You will only get that product to market with good salesmanship and marketing. And you have to risk financing and resources to launch.

This is also a good benchmark for any company you decide to go work for as well.

Quote: (12-26-2016 11:12 AM)Vaun Wrote:  

I thought this was a good article recently;

Mark Cuban: If I lost everything and had to start over, here's what I would do

Sales is very important of course. Cuban is a natural born salesman. Love him or hate him now after the election, he put the holy trinity together;

Product
Salesmanship
Risk

He created a product(s), sold the hell out of them, and took the risk to go out without a net and put it all on the line to make his business work.

You'll only create loyal customers, fans and good vibes with a good product/service. You will only get that product to market with good salesmanship and marketing. And you have to risk financing and resources to launch.

This is also a good benchmark for any company you decide to go work for as well.

Mark is a pretty overrated guy in my opinion.
Major, major one hit wonder. He is famous for saying "You only have to be right once."
His investment portfolio so far has no real hits.

I rather be influential and have a quarter of his money than become who he is.
In those circles it's about coming up with the next game changing idea...
He hasn't.

Take away his money he has no real ideas.
I just have a feeling he is not as respected in his circles as he comes off as.
Personally I wouldn't take advice from a guy who won the lottery back to back. (Stock Option Baby)
It's tempting, he's an entertainer, but I just don't buy him. Nor would I ever want to meet him.

Product
Salesmanship
Strategic Ruthlessness aka Power

Risk doesn't exist if you know what you're doing.

Those are the three I would work on...

Ruthlessness is a faux pas yet prerequisite trait that these big shots fail to tell the public.
Although he is right that you can be a multi-millionaire with hustle.
But there are much better memorable thought leaders in life to follow than him... Most billionaires write shit books.
Which matters much more than money.

When Cuban dies he won't be remembered...

Nice thread OP! I would like to chime in as I have been thinking about these issues the last couple of days. I am in the same boat as you, my intentions are clear (launch my own business) but the step right after, which is really the first step in becoming an entrepreneur, is a complete blur. I know I want to go compete in the Olympics but I still have to choose the sport, train really hard, find a good coach and avoid all the injuries. It's a long journey but we will get there [Image: smile.gif]

Now, I will answer your question. I know 3 individuals who went from sales to entrepreneurs and they all followed the exact same path. They started working as salesman for several years in a specific industry, they accumulated the expertise then they created their own business. The key here is that they stayed in the same industry for several years (Advertising, Real Estate and Garment). The prior experience in the industry coupled with the solid network they had built helped them both, in spotting the opportunity and in opening/running their business. This is what I am planning to do, work in a sales job within my specialization then see if I can leverage that knowledge and find an opportunity.

I think the danger is to change industry every now and then (industry hopping) you will for sure become a great salesman but you will not gather enough expertise in any specialized market (product). Maybe if your goal is to open a sales firm / marketing service firm this might benefit you. You will still be able to do that. Personally, this is what I want to avoid. In your case, maybe you can continue in the same industry cyber security/software if you have enough knowledge about that.

Now I would like to help you a little more. I know, I know… I am not entrepreneur yet but just hear me out [Image: smile.gif]

Suits said something interesting about desire and ability. Abilities are basically things in which you are good at. Felix Dennis explains this very well in his book (I second the recommendation). Hopefully, by next year you will be a good salesman and you will have a good knowledge about Cyber security and software although I believe you are more focused in the sales side in this case you follow what Car Michael said. As you pointed out sales is not enough but a year from now your abilities will be as follow: strong sales skills, expertise in your industry and other technical skills (coding...).

You will be better suited at finding an opportunity this way. Car Michael raised a good point and I strongly agree with him, ideas are overrated. You can’t even protect them, it’s the execution / expression of the idea that counts. They call this the idea-expression dichotomy in business. You do not need an idea what you need is an OPPORTUNITY! An idea may not meet the criteria of an opportunity. Many people make this mistake and I hope I will not make it. You can have the best idea in the world if it doesn’t meet an opportunity you will not make any money. Now, we need to be clear on the definition of an opportunity. Google defines it as follows: “a time or set of circumstances that makes it possible to do something.” In business it's slightly different, an opportunity is a set of circumstances that create a need for a product, business or service.

Before jumping in the different ways to identify an opportunity you need to know what are the qualities of an opportunity. The perfect opportunity has to be attractive, durable, timely and most importantly anchored to a business, product or service. Keep in mind these four qualities when you have your potential candidate and assess it accordingly. You assess the potential opportunity just like you would assess a potential wife. She needs to be feminine, knows how to cook, faithful and she wants kids. Your potential wife might not have all these qualities but she might still be a good wife. Same thing with an opportunity, it might not have all of qualities but it can still be a good opportunity to seize. Now, if your potential wife has all the qualities but is not faithful. You pass and find something else. Same thing with a potential opportunity that cannot be anchored to a business / a product or service.

How can you identify an opportunity?

There are generally three ways to identify an opportunity and you want to think about all three.

First, you observe the trends (Macro-level) and see how they will impact your industry. There are four main trends you want to follow and see if they create an opportunity you can seize (Political, Economic, Social and Technological). When assessing each macro trend, you keep asking yourself these questions: What does a change in this trend mean for your industry? Does it create business opportunities? If yes, is there any money to be made (Attractive)? Is it a good time to launch this (Timely)? Is it sustainable (Durable)? What kind of business product or service can I create? (Is it anchored to something)

You have the political trends, when observing this trend you want to follow the changes in politics, change in presidency, a party that is increasing in popularity, new bilateral agreements… For example, if we take a change in president. What are the opportunities that will arise under the new president? Maybe there will be more environmental laws, more opportunities for renewable products… Maybe there are new laws that were voted, against men? Neo-masculinity products. Maybe there are new pro-immigration laws, opportunities for more immigration services (Legal, counselling... ). New trade agreements? Import-Export opportunities… Second, you want to observe the economical trends. What kind of opportunities do I have in this booming economy? Discretionary products… In this shitty economy? Discount products… Unemployment rate, interest rates... Maybe the consumer spending pattern in different market within an industry, maybe you notice that people are spending more money in this product. There is an opportunity to be seized. Third, you want to observe the social trends. What does an aging in population mean? More elderly products needed, retiring home, granny game [Image: smile.gif] A high divorce rate? Refugees? You think about these things. The last factor is technological, how does this new technology affect the industry? What are the opportunities I can benefit from? Maybe more important now than ever.

The second way to identify an opportunity is by solving a problem. Maybe you encounter a problem in your life accidentally and find that a lot of people have the same problem. You go and solve it and create a business. For instance, several men had problems with women. Then, a group of individual3 went and solved this problem then created their business (Roosh, RSD…)This is also how Dropbox was created, the guy lost one day his USB key in the bus and then he went and created Dropbox.

Third way to sport an opportunity is to find a gap in the marketplace. This is often created when a product or service is needed by a specific group of people but doesn’t represent a large enough market for traditional firms. Niche products, you basically copy the general business model and cater it to a niche. Mexican fast food, Ethnicity game (Black, Asian)...

I hope this helps!

Tagged for future reading.

Quote: (12-26-2016 04:15 PM)Nater Wrote:  

Nice thread OP! I would like to chime in as I have been thinking about these issues the last couple of days. I am in the same boat as you, my intentions are clear (launch my own business) but the step right after, which is really the first step in becoming an entrepreneur, is a complete blur. I know I want to go compete in the Olympics but I still have to choose the sport, train really hard, find a good coach and avoid all the injuries. It's a long journey but we will get there [Image: smile.gif]

Now, I will answer your question. I know 3 individuals who went from sales to entrepreneurs and they all followed the exact same path. They started working as salesman for several years in a specific industry, they accumulated the expertise then they created their own business. The key here is that they stayed in the same industry for several years (Advertising, Real Estate and Garment). The prior experience in the industry coupled with the solid network they had built helped them both, in spotting the opportunity and in opening/running their business. This is what I am planning to do, work in a sales job within my specialization then see if I can leverage that knowledge and find an opportunity.

I think the danger is to change industry every now and then (industry hopping) you will for sure become a great salesman but you will not gather enough expertise in any specialized market (product). Maybe if your goal is to open a sales firm / marketing service firm this might benefit you. You will still be able to do that. Personally, this is what I want to avoid. In your case, maybe you can continue in the same industry cyber security/software if you have enough knowledge about that.

Now I would like to help you a little more. I know, I know… I am not entrepreneur yet but just hear me out [Image: smile.gif]

Suits said something interesting about desire and ability. Abilities are basically things in which you are good at. Felix Dennis explains this very well in his book (I second the recommendation). Hopefully, by next year you will be a good salesman and you will have a good knowledge about Cyber security and software although I believe you are more focused in the sales side in this case you follow what Car Michael said. As you pointed out sales is not enough but a year from now your abilities will be as follow: strong sales skills, expertise in your industry and other technical skills (coding...).

You will be better suited at finding an opportunity this way. Car Michael raised a good point and I strongly agree with him, ideas are overrated. You can’t even protect them, it’s the execution / expression of the idea that counts. They call this the idea-expression dichotomy in business. You do not need an idea what you need is an OPPORTUNITY! An idea may not meet the criteria of an opportunity. Many people make this mistake and I hope I will not make it. You can have the best idea in the world if it doesn’t meet an opportunity you will not make any money. Now, we need to be clear on the definition of an opportunity. Google defines it as follows: “a time or set of circumstances that makes it possible to do something.” In business it's slightly different, an opportunity is a set of circumstances that create a need for a product, business or service.

Before jumping in the different ways to identify an opportunity you need to know what are the qualities of an opportunity. The perfect opportunity has to be attractive, durable, timely and most importantly anchored to a business, product or service. Keep in mind these four qualities when you have your potential candidate and assess it accordingly. You assess the potential opportunity just like you would assess a potential wife. She needs to be feminine, knows how to cook, faithful and she wants kids. Your potential wife might not have all these qualities but she might still be a good wife. Same thing with an opportunity, it might not have all of qualities but it can still be a good opportunity to seize. Now, if your potential wife has all the qualities but is not faithful. You pass and find something else. Same thing with a potential opportunity that cannot be anchored to a business / a product or service.

There are generally three ways to identify an opportunity and you want to think about all three.

First, you observe the trends (Macro-level) and see how they will impact your industry. There are four main trends you want to follow and see if they create an opportunity you can seize (Political, Economic, Social and Technological). When assessing each macro trend, you keep asking yourself these questions: What does a change in this trend mean for your industry? Does it create business opportunities? If yes, is there any money to be made (Attractive)? Is it a good time to launch this (Timely)? Is it sustainable (Durable)? What kind of business product or service can I create? (Is it anchored to something)

You have the political trends, when observing this trend you want to follow the changes in politics, change in presidency, a party that is increasing in popularity, new bilateral agreements… For example, if we take a change in president. What are the opportunities that will arise under the new president? Maybe there will be more environmental laws, more opportunities for renewable products… Maybe there are new laws that were voted, against men? Neo-masculinity products. Maybe there are new pro-immigration laws, opportunities for more immigration services (Legal, counselling... ). New trade agreements? Import-Export opportunities… Second, you want to observe the economical trends. What kind of opportunities do I have in this booming economy? Discretionary products… In this shitty economy? Discount products… Unemployment rate, interest rates... Maybe the consumer spending pattern in different market within an industry, maybe you notice that people are spending more money in this product. There is an opportunity to be seized. Third, you want to observe the social trends. What does an aging in population mean? More elderly products needed, retiring home, granny game [Image: smile.gif] A high divorce rate? Refugees? You think about these things. The last factor is technological, how does this new technology affect the industry? What are the opportunities I can benefit from? Maybe more important now than ever.

The second way to identify an opportunity is by solving a problem. Maybe you encounter a problem in your life accidentally and find that a lot of people have the same problem. You go and solve it and create a business. For instance, several men had problems with women. Then, a group of individual3 went and solved this problem then created their business (Roosh, RSD…)This is also how Dropbox was created, the guy lost one day his USB key in the bus and then he went and created Dropbox.

Third way to sport an opportunity is to find a gap in the marketplace. This is often created when a product or service is needed by a specific group of people but doesn’t represent a large enough market for traditional firms. Niche products, you basically copy the general business model and cater it to a niche. Mexican fast food, Ethnicity game (Black, Asian)...

I hope this helps!

Interesting. I may have to switch industries as I have no real interest in tech besides selling the product. I have more of an interest in supplements, working out, and being healthy in general. I don't think there is b2b consumer sales as I hate b2c cold calling.

Reality is that the money is in tech though as that's where the future is heading.

I may just become an independent reseller of technology. They call it channel sales and my company sales strictly to partners not direct.

Why go through all the hassle of product creation and pulling ur hair out when you can just have someone else create the product and you sell it for them.

At the end of the day I was never a smart guy. I wanted to do computer science in college but I failed calc 2 twice. Forget being a doctor or lawyer.

I chose to do sales because I didn't have a choice. It was chosen out of necessity. there's no other profession which such a low barrier to entry where you could be potentially making $200k a year if you're good. Emphasis on good.

Being reseller might not be bad idea. If I start out as a one man shop I can sell to mid size businesses and see where it goes from there.

That's a couple years down the road as I'm still learning sales. I'm not even at the point of my career where I'm closing my own deals.

Quote: (12-26-2016 07:35 PM)colblionel Wrote:  

Quote: (12-26-2016 04:15 PM)Nater Wrote:  

I hope this helps!

Interesting. I may have to switch industries as I have no real interest in tech besides selling the product. I have more of an interest in supplements, working out, and being healthy in general. I don't think there is b2b consumer sales as I hate b2c cold calling.

Reality is that the money is in tech though as that's where the future is heading.

I may just become an independent reseller of technology. They call it channel sales and my company sales strictly through partners not direct.

Why go through all the hassle of product creation and pulling ur hair out when you can just have someone else create the product and you sell it for them.

At the end of the day I was never a smart guy. I wanted to do computer science in college but I failed calc 2 twice. Forget being a doctor or lawyer.

I chose to do sales because I didn't have a choice. It was chosen out of necessity. there's no other profession which such a low barrier to entry where you could be potentially making $200k a year if you're good. Emphasis on good.

Being reseller might not be bad idea. If I start out as a one man shop I can sell to mid size businesses and see where it goes from there.

That's a couple years down the road as I'm still learning sales. I'm not even at the point of my career where I'm closing my own deals.

Quote: (12-26-2016 07:35 PM)colblionel Wrote:  

Because you may have to compete with others to sell it. If you create a product, you have 100% control over who sells it. If it sells easily, you can sit back and collect cash while you work on the next innovation.

If it doesn't sell well, you can let salespeople sweat it out trying to push a product that no one thinks they need and sit back and collect a good chunk of the proceeds while you work on the next innovation.

Either way, it is the ideal position to be in, unless you end up creating something that simply doesn't sell at all and you never recoup your development costs.

Unless a solid plan pops into your head tomorrow, I think you are years away from being in the position to even consider starting a business. You should be focused on becoming the best salesperson you can be.

There's also absolutely nothing stopping you from becoming skilled in a second area by doing some copyrighting on the side (do it for cheap just to learn the skill and then see if there is viable demand for your services) or selling $10 watches in a $25 watch case door to door.

Experiment with getting a website up that sells a line of private label goods from China just for the hell of it. At your age, in your position, you should be trying as many things and learning as many skills as possible. Even if you lose money on selling private label goods, you'll learn how to handle the technology required to set up an online store, etc.

I'm the King of Beijing!

If you want to sell supplements. Especially someone else's supplements. Affiliate Marketing or SEO is your best bet.