rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Late Christmas Card - An Easy Hack to Build Workplace Connections

I’m relatively new to the Roosh V Forum, but I would like to share an easy tip which can help create better business relations, and help move you up the corporate ladder with little to no effort what so ever.

In the advent of the digital age, human connection is becoming more and more distant. With Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and a variety of other platforms, we can be in someone’s life without ever being physically present.

Year after year, millennials are entering the workforce with no understanding of the value of human contact. Social media has failed to teach them the value of human interaction, and I'm here to tell you guys, this area is ripe for the picking, and one simple hack can kick start your professional career this coming New Year.

We've been in the digital age for a long time now, but who remembers when you had to call a landline to speak with a friend, and usually their mum picked up the phone and you had to say "Hey Mrs G, is Guile there?"... These small things brought people closer. Remember when you had to go to a friends house to listen to a new Blink 182 CD instead of just sending a file over the internet? Remember when Christmas came, and your best friend sent a card wishing you all the best? Remember how they would scribble their message in pen, usually say some crude joke and finish with "All the best man"... Remember how good that felt? Well, I do, and that's why I brought it back.

The concept is simple: You're at work, Christmas is fast approaching, you've spent all year building connections, holidays come, you have a two week break, come back to work in January and it feels like you're starting all over again...

[Image: Mark_Corrigan.jpg]

Well not anymore.

How do I fix this? Easy. The Christmas card. More specifically the late Christmas card. Why late? Well two reasons:

1.) When the Christmas period approaches, most people have already switched off. They're thinking about holidays. Anything they receive now will be forgotten over the craziness that is the holiday period and...

2.) When it arrives, preferably on your first day back at work, your hand written message is both a reminder of who you are, an ice breaker and a strong relationship builder. It's the perfect way to start the new year off with a bang and put yourself in pole position amongst your peers.

I know, I know... By know you’re probably thinking, what’s this guy on? Crack? Well maybe a little but what I’m about to tell you has boosted my career at every new job I’ve worked at.

Now I bet you’re saying… Come on. That’s stupid. They will just think you’ve been lazy and posted them after Christmas, in fact, the date will probably confirm this right? Wrong. There are ways around this and I’ll walk you through them step by step.

Step 1: Go to your nearest two dollar store and buy a cheap pack of cards:

In my experience, the card isn’t important, it’s the content, so once you’ve picked them out, you move onto step two…

[Image: 1374232177-33192200.jpg]

Step 2: The most important step. Filling out the cards:

This step is all about building connections and to build a connection you need to get personal. What is considered socially acceptable in a work place environment? Well, lets start with what isn’t…

“Merry Christmas Jenny, I just want to let you know that you’ve been an amazing boss with an even more amazing rack. Here’s hoping I can motor boat those titties in the New Year. Love Guile”.

No lol. Instead, what you want to do is recall an interest, hobby, or moment that they have shown pride in over the course of the year. The message doesn’t have to be long, it merely needs to show that you have been paying attention. For instance [If he enjoys fishing]:

“Merry Christmas John, it’s been a pleasure working with you this year. Here’s hoping you catch a mackerel or two over Christmas. Guile”.

Personal and non-intrusive. The gesture will hit. Believe me.

[Image: 21942.jpg]

Step 3: Postage:

Fresh out of high school, I had the misfortune of spending a year working at the post office. It was a tough job in customer service with very little gratitude from the customers. Most people were office types, typically in a rush, and in no mood for manners. Over the course of an eight-hour day, you can imagine how pleasant it was when someone finally smiled at you.

Why do I say this, well, in this step, the counter clerk will be your best friend, and in this instance, your best friend will have to back date the mail to around the 20th of December… Why? Because as stated previously, you want a fool proof explanation as to why the mail arrived late, and when it’s date stamped, the proof is in the pudding, SO… Is this possible? Of course it is, and here’s how you do it.

One: Prepare to go to the post office between the hours of 9-11am or 2-3pm. These are the down periods where it isn’t likely to be busy and tensions aren’t likely to be high. You also want to send the mail via express post, the day before work goes back. This will ensure they are there the following day.

Two: Pick out the youngest employee, and if possible, pick out a female. From experience, a younger worker isn’t there for a career and they are less likely to be a ‘stickler’ for the rules.

Three: Have your story ready. Usually something along the lines of... “Also, could I please get these stamped for the 20th of December? I was supposed to send these out and I totally forgot”… As long as it’s said with a smile, you should have no trouble what so ever.

Finally... Step 4: [The Reaction]:

When you’re sitting in your office, some time before lunch, the post will inevitably arrive and the staff will invariably receive your letters and as such, there is a temptation to portray the ‘faux’ embarrassment card I.E: “Oh wow, this is embarrassing, these were supposed to arrive before Christmas”… While this may work in a social context, it is also a subtle display of weakness. Instead, you need to own it. “The cards arrived late. Oh well, lets move on”. Let the gesture do the work for you.

[Image: B5o_9VfCEAAxXMf.jpg]

So to surmise: The Christmas break is tough. Forging connections at work is tougher. Give yourself a fighting chance and create an organic moment for that relationship to develop.

1.Buy Cards.
2.Fill them in.
3.Send them.
4.Profit.

I call it the late Christmas card. I’ve used it countless times to put myself on the winning foot heading into the New Year, and hopefully you can too.

Cheers, Guile.

There was a post recently about being the guy with doughnuts at the office. This is basically an extension of that.

If you're going to have them stamped for the 20th, you'd need to change the tense in your example. ie. 'here's hoping you catch a mackerel or two over Christmas.

I'm not convinced personally. If I was a stereotypical HR bitch in an office I'd rather have doughnuts to beat the January blues than a late Christmas card.

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...

Quote: (12-23-2016 04:36 AM)roberto Wrote:  

There was a post recently about being the guy with doughnuts at the office. This is basically an extension of that.

If you're going to have them stamped for the 20th, you'd need to change the tense in your example. ie. 'here's hoping you catch a mackerel or two over Christmas.

I'm not convinced personally. If I was a stereotypical HR bitch in an office I'd rather have doughnuts to beat the January blues than a late Christmas card.

Typo. Good catch. Haven't read the donuts idea, but it sounds solid.