rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Is time linear or cyclical?

I wanted to know what your opinions on this guys. I'm not sure about this myself.

Linear. But sometimes the line moves forward; sometimes back.

History, now: that's cyclical. Not in terms of events repeating, but conditions cropping up again and again.

"The woman most eager to jump out of her petticoat to assert her rights is the first to jump back into it when threatened with a switching for misusing them,"
-Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

I'm somewhat convinced that time is a cognitive illusion created by our brains. Time could be moving back and forth; it might even be stopping at times; but our brains are only able to pick up the forward movement.

Kind of like the way humans cannot hear dog whistles, even though a sound is emitted. In the same way, we can't see all forms of time, only one particular type of time that is the most useful to our survival.

I sometimes think about how little of the universe we perceive. We only perceive those aspects of reality that are related to survival.

Entire dimensions could be unfolding right next to you, but you won't see it because humans have evolve only to interact with one particular type of reality.

What we know we don't know will always be dwarfed by what we don't know that we don't know.

Time is linear.

For example, can you be born twice?

Can you die twice?

Can you graduate High School twice?

No.

History, on the other hand, is cyclical .

For example, each nation will experience ascent, crisis and demise.

Look at Rome. Ottoman empire. And, right now, America.

It has always been like that, and always will, despite everything people say.

I think it depends entirely on how you define time.

We measure days, weeks, months, etc in cycles. For instance It is midnight every 24 hours, Monday every 7 days, January 1st every 365.25 days etc. So time is a cycle in that sense.

However spacetime is a different beast. Whilst it might be midnight every 24 hours, Monday every 7 days, January 1st every 365.25 days, etc, we will never experience the same instance of those events again. Unless of course the universe itself is cyclical, and it will eventually collapse into a singularity only to explode out to repeat itself over and over again ad infinitum.

I believe time becomes faster as its goes on (faster now then lets say 3rd century BC). This is one of the topics that is talked about in some circles. Also I believe in separate timelines.

I suggest reading material written by Damanhur Federation. Its a almost independent state within Italy, situated in the North, in Italian Alps. People there live in large communities and adopt animal and plant names. It all sounds like a hippie, new age wackos, but things become interesting when you hear how this people speak and about what. Time travel and manipulation of time are one of these things. Community was founded by Oberto Airaudi called Falco who was allegedly time traveler, together with his inner circle. In their description, time travel is done in mind, not in "body" and in some fixed positions.
Damanhur is situated in unique location in the world, only one place exists, in Tibet that is similar in properties to Damanhur location. It is situated on the crossing of 4 energetic lines that cross Earth and also Alps are full of quartz crystals. That properties give interesting experiences to visitors of Damanhur and gives access to time travel.

The older you get, the faster time goes.

You have more days behind you the older you are, so a single day/month/year is a smaller fraction of the overall time you've spent alive.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Yeah, Terence McKenna was a super interesting dude. I've listened to almost all of his stuff on YouTube several times

Pussy ain't for pussies...

on the cyclicality of time/history, there is a good book called the Fourth Turning. Its about demographic cycles of roughly 20-25 years apart and how this generation has strong similarities to a generation 80/160/240 years ago.

on time, some people think we are not only living in a simulation but an infinite number of simulations, like a Monte Carlo simulation, in an infinite number of parallel universes. i can admit i can't get my mind around that but will acknowledge its possible.

Quote: (12-14-2016 12:07 PM)Hannibal Wrote:  

You have more days behind you the older you are, so a single day/month/year is a smaller fraction of the overall time you've spent alive.

I'm trying to understand this.

I'm not very good at this physics stuff. Bear with me.

What does the relationship of time and life expectancy have to do with time speeding up? I understand the fractions, in terms of mortality and time you have left in regards to overall days spent alive but can't understand how this relates to time acceleration.

There is 24 hours in a day when you're 5 and also 24 hours in a day when you're 70.

Not arguing with you, just asking you to dummifiy it so I can understand from a time acceleration standpoint.

Quote: (12-14-2016 04:09 PM)LINUX Wrote:  

I'm trying to understand this.

I'm not very good at this physics stuff. Bear with me.

What does the relationship of time and life expectancy have to do with time speeding up? I understand the fractions, in terms of mortality and time you have left in regards to overall days spent a alive but can't understand how this relates to time acceleration.

There is 24 hours in a day when you're 5 and also 24 hours in a day when you're 70.

Not arguing with you, just asking you to dummifiy it so I can understand.

He's referring to human perception of time, not time itself as a physical concept. A lot of people, myself included, have this impression that life somehow goes faster the older you get. It makes sense. Think about it - when you were a kid, the two-month summer school break seemed like an eternity. Now, a two months time-span is something you don't even think about. It passes in an instant.

Ok. I see.

I can agree with that.

Yeah but thats just because time blends together more when you havw the same routines, and older people are more likely to have set routines than younger people. For example as a kid every grade is a nrw experience, but as an adult if you work at the same place 10 years it will blur together. Banging new chicks, traveling to new places, and trying new things is the answer.

Im of the belief that time would best be described metaphorically as a river. From a "macro" view or distance it appears to be "flowing" lineally (and is..generally) but when viewed at a "micro" level there are anomalies (eddies, swirls and whirlpools metaphorically).

It's these anomalies, I believe, that cause us to experience phenomena such as "deja-vu" ( the feeling that we've seen something before) and "déjà vécu" (the feeling of having lived through something before)

Quote: (12-14-2016 09:31 AM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

I'm somewhat convinced that time is a cognitive illusion created by our brains. Time could be moving back and forth; it might even be stopping at times; but our brains are only able to pick up the forward movement.

Kind of like the way humans cannot hear dog whistles, even though a sound is emitted. In the same way, we can't see all forms of time, only one particular type of time that is the most useful to our survival.

I sometimes think about how little of the universe we perceive. We only perceive those aspects of reality that are related to survival.

Entire dimensions could be unfolding right next to you, but you won't see it because humans have evolve only to interact with one particular type of reality.

What we know we don't know will always be dwarfed by what we don't know that we don't know.

Read anything in recent physics regarding "super string" theory and you'll know you are correct

"Leap, and the net will appear". John Burroughs

"The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure."
Joseph Campbell

I am experiencing the opposite. Time feels like its slowing down for me as I get older. I get more stuff done in a set amount of time than I used to get done when I was younger. My increased productivity has made time stretch out more.

My years seem to get longer and longer as I get older. I no longer understand people who say, 'Wow, the year just flew by'. Years have started to drag on and on for me.

^
Teach me your systems.

Great thread; really enjoying the contributions from everyone here.

The great Russian filmmaker Tarkovsky was obsessed with time, passing of time, and the representation of time in cinema. He wrote a book called Sculpting In Time, as he believed that cinema was a unique art to depict time and space.

I'd say time was linear, with different perspectives possible. And by that I don't mean "that's, like, your opinion, man". I mean that some people are capable of zooming out on the linear line to get a much better sense (than their peers) of what is coming next.

Quote: (12-14-2016 08:22 PM)PapayaTapper Wrote:  

Im of the belief that time would best be described metaphorically as a river. From a "macro" view or distance it appears to be "flowing" lineally (and is..generally) but when viewed at a "micro" level there are anomalies (eddies, swirls and whirlpools metaphorically).

It's these anomalies, I believe, that cause us to experience phenomena such as "deja-vu" ( the feeling that we've seen something before) and "déjà vécu" (the feeling of having lived through something before)

Quote: (12-14-2016 09:31 AM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

Read anything in recent physics regarding "super string" theory and you'll know you are correct

Coyote Cardo wrote book "Occult Physics" in which he describes concept of time as river, like you said. These swirls and branches of rivers are allegedly used by Damanhur Federation for their experiments with time.

Time is just the rate of change of the physical world. If nothing changes then we cannot measure time. If we somehow put everything back how it was in 1000bc then we have travelled back in time.

It doesnt make sense to talk about time independently of change in the physical world. People have a habit of overcomplicating simple things.

There is no 'time', only the physical world which changes at a rate we perceive to be uniform. If for instance time sped up or slowed (a nonesense idea btw) we would still perceive it the same as we are subject to the same rate of change of the universe.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

Quote: (12-14-2016 10:58 PM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

I am experiencing the opposite. Time feels like its slowing down for me as I get older. I get more stuff done in a set amount of time than I used to get done when I was younger. My increased productivity has made time stretch out more.

My years seem to get longer and longer as I get older. I no longer understand people who say, 'Wow, the year just flew by'. Years have started to drag on and on for me.

I see the world from Hannibal's view. I used to the formula 1/t to dictate one's sense of time. As t, in time we have lived, diminishes the quantitative amount of time we have lived would make it seem like the amount of time we are experiencing is insignificant.

Quote: (12-15-2016 11:23 AM)PolymathGuru Wrote:  

Quote: (12-14-2016 10:58 PM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

I see the world from Hannibal's view. I used to the formula 1/t to dictate one's sense of time. As t, in time we have lived, diminishes the quantitative amount of time we have lived would make it seem like the amount of time we are experiencing is insignificant.

When I consider how my actions are impacting the future, and that the more actions I take the more the future is expanded, then my concept of time just expands as my actions echo down the corridors of eternity.

In other words, time^action, whereby the immensity of time expands the more actions one undertakes.

When I spent life in inaction as a video game addict, time sped past. I was not useful, I had no actions, and therefore time was small and sped quickly by.

Now that I try to be useful every day, in my own little way changing the world for the better, I can feel how every action is having knock-on effects on the future. The more I do the more I influence the future. I own a piece of that future, although I may not be around to experience it; nevertheless, my perception of time is that time just seems to be getting bigger and bigger.

Very cool thread, thanks for starting it, PolymathGuru.

Thomas the Rhymer, I identify with your explanation for your experience of the relationship between time and action. I believe there also may be a connection to stimulating more and different neural connections by engaging in activities that are new, challenging, unfamiliar. When we 'go on autopilot' (like can happen with playing a video game) we lose track of the mind/body (let alone soul) connection and our reality becomes hyper-compressed. This isn't always a bad thing, but often as we age we realize that we may have less 'time to spend' in a purely quantitative sense, so we'd best make it the highest Quality time we can. We imbue Quality into anything by putting our heart, attention, passion, intelligence, genius, unique imprimatur onto it. At the very least I greatly enjoy the activity at a level of selfishness but also when I am doing something that can bring joy and happiness to another then the impact of my actions is compounded as Thomas eloquently said:

Quote:Quote:

When I consider how my actions are impacting the future, and that the more actions I take the more the future is expanded, then my concept of time just expands as my actions echo down the corridors of eternity.

When I am crafting something physical for my business, I often go into a trance-like (let me say meditative) state that is 100% focused on what I am doing. A wrong move and something will break or be out of spec by 0.001 inch. A lapse in attention or letting my mind wander is expensive in both wasted money and wasted time to duplicate the effort. So whether or not time actually moves more slowly, by making Quality actions I do my best to ensure my time was well-spent, and I can feel that satisfaction naturally arise in my body.

"Mmmhmmm!"

===

Some examples:

-Usually sitting at a laptop engaged in writing or search gives an impression of time speeding by - the next occasion I note the clock time seem like 'whoah, how'd it get to be XX o'clock?' say double the passage I would have expected. Depending upon what I was doing, it can be uncomfortable feeling of having 'wasted time.'

-When out in Nature, there is a much more (ahem) natural sense of the movement of time and actions, both mine and those all around. Walking along a beach, watching waves, observing children and animals playing, seeing the movement of a distant boat, feeling the waves tickling my feet and occasionally soaking my pants! That always feel restorative and worthwhile even if 2+ hours have gone by.

-One time, I was making love to a lovely and feisty woman and felt my climax arising rather quickly. I worked with my breath and moved the sensations around to extend our experience much longer than I had expected to last.

===

So I have experienced that tuning into one's breath and making it rhythmic is a key aspect of this overall shift in the experiencing of time. See the TEDx talk 'Being Brilliant Every Single Day' for scientific explanations of the varying levels of connection between breath and emotional state and intelligence and your life span. Working with our breath is the most intimate and accessible 'time-keeper' we have (in most cases the 10x faster heart beat is not readily perceptible, especially if you're moving around). An expression 'hey man, you're pretty uptight - calm down, take a breath!' is familiar. We can feel a sense of being out-of-control which is nearly 100% of the time tied to LOSING connection to our natural time-keeper.

For the sense of historical time, it does run in cycles as The Fourth Turning beautifully lays out. The ancients were very aware of the cycle of precession, and also the movement of the Earth above and below the galactic plane which may cause different cyclical long-scale phenomenon. Lots of work around this, I suggest checking out speakers / authors from CPAK (Conference on Precession and Ancient Knowledge), Graham Hancock, John Anthony West, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxge3_UdMCc]Professor Robert Schoch, and Walter Cruttenden.

I have experienced intuitive insights throughout my life (I believe we all have, whether we call it by different names). I would describe intuition as a future-self passing information backward through time. Since there is no limit to the speed or direction at which the non-physical can move, experience such as deja vu, past life recollection, intuition, remote viewing, distant communication, etc. as absolutely possible and demonstrable. I suggest reading the works of Dean Radin's 'The Conscious Universe' and Claude Swanson's 'The Synchronistic Universe' for many examples. When I hear / feel a quite small voice, usually as a momentary 'thought-packet' I have learned to take notice. To distinguish this inner sense from something mind-made is very subtle and I won't pretend I can do this 100% accurately. But especially in situations where my survival is at risk (such as driving, where I push to the limit as relates to my business and primary hobby), the times I have ignored that small voice ('slow down') have nearly always resulted in crashes shortly after. You can say it's just common sense and that may be true - so perhaps what we call common sense is actually a future-to-present transmission of insight from that aspect of ourselves that is outside of and not defined by time (what I and others call the soul). Either way, by making ourselves available to the future-self's insights (through slowing down our perception of present-time), we can stretch out the perception of present-time. This stretching-out is true even if we are taking no direct physical action but are expanding our senses, taking in everything going on around us, letting it all into our consciousness like the music of a symphony. You don't need to 'understand' what notes are being played, the experience of the music is more important. The less the mind is 'in charge' from moment to moment, the more natural our actions become. The mind has its place, yes, but usually in the role of analysis or providing options, not as a guidance system.

I used to experience time as being something out of my control; something I ignored as a young child then dreaded as a young adult. Through one particular experience that seemed connected to the conclusion of a 5 day silent retreat with Adyashanti (which I'll describe in another post (titled 'The Meaning of Life, fundamental question #1: Who am I'), I had a powerful experience of timelessness. For what would turn out to be nearly a week, I was thrown out of identification with thoughts and thinking, into an ever-present unchanging awareness of Now. I believe the word satori in Japanese Zen and samadhi in Advaita Vedanta are descriptions of this state of being. The utter clarity of time being a construct of the mind became perfectly clear and true. And this state, which isn't a temporary state, or a 'special state', but the underlying bedrock upon which everything else is perceived. It's called the awaken state of consciousness described in spiritual traditions. There are different levels you can ascribe to varying layers of awareness which aren't important and I don't know them all by heart. But stepping out of a sense of purely linear / directional time, blown open and into a sense of timelessness, is a tremendous shift! I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do much of anything for a while unless something naturally arose. If I was tired, I would sleep. If I was hungry, I got some food. From waking moment to waking moment, there was a beautiful, joyful, peaceful sense of being at one with all things. Just watching the leaves sway in the trees was poetry... spending time with my sweet girlfriend was particularly delightful. And for much of the several days the strongest sense of this shift lasted, it felt natural to be quiet most of the time. Like speaking at a sunset or describing a kiss, no words could add more to the sense of timeless joy, of this cresting wave of quiet bliss that simply kept building and building, tantalizingly out of reach and yet totally surfable! It was like surfing a wave that never broke but you're on the ride and totally there and there's no need for anything to have to be different than it was. All was well. Life went on but with more vibrance even though nothing external was really different. But I felt more connected to everything and also less attached to any particular thing. It was so unusual, yet... so comfortable. It felt like heaven on earth (which is really what nirvana means). Although when more self-identified thoughts ('I am doing this', 'wow, look at me being so spiritual!') arose, that one-ness and timelessness faded which felt like tripping and stumbling into a dark hole. My body would sense the clenching and closing of my mind and usually a few deep breaths would help move out of the confused state.

The experience of timelessness did fade into a sense of more background body understanding that something had shifted.

A few years later I came across a fascinating website called olduniverse.com which I highly encourage anyone scientifically-oriented to explore. Some of the conclusions of this Dr. Yilmaz's reformulation of Einstein field equations of general relativity pointed to the universe being infinitely old, essentially constantly creating itself. From the studying I've done on electrogravitics and extracting energy from the vacuum, the fact of an abundance of available energy plus the sense of the universe being inifinitely old also points to time being only a construct. It may certainly be the case that with electrogravitic or other 'motors' that manipulate gravity wells, time travel is indeed possible. At the very least faster-than-light propulsion seems a certainty once you've done the studying (I recommend the works of Paul LaViolette and Thomas Valone to start).

You'd be amazed at how your perception of time shifts when you loosen and release identification with thought. I really like your equation Time^Action (equaling Perceiving or Useful time). I find more getting done with less effort, and with more joy. I also find activities that keep my body locked in one position too long very unnatural. I still enjoy video games, but my body helps remind me when to stop, so it's 1, 2, or 3 hours instead of 6!

This would make a wonderful signature (at the least a daily affirmation)!

Quote:Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:

Now that I try to be useful every day, in my own little way changing the world for the better, I can feel how every action is having knock-on effects on the future. The more I do the more I influence the future. I own a piece of that future, although I may not be around to experience it; nevertheless, my perception of time is that time just seems to be getting bigger and bigger.

===

It's cruel if you look on Facebook the bitchez you went to HS with.

Take care of those titties for me.

Quote: (12-15-2016 02:20 PM)Truth Tiger Wrote:  

But especially in situations where my survival is at risk (such as driving, where I push to the limit as relates to my business and primary hobby), the times I have ignored that small voice ('slow down') have nearly always resulted in crashes shortly after. You can say it's just common sense and that may be true - so perhaps what we call common sense is actually a future-to-present transmission of insight from that aspect of ourselves that is outside of and not defined by time (what I and others call the soul).

Couldn't agree more.