rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Where to live in NYC?

Where to live in NYC?

I'm moving up soon and will be working downtown Manhattan. I'd like to keep rent around 2k.

I'm looking for some up-to-date info (NYC changes fast). Basically, convince me why I should or shouldn't live in LES or EV (Brooklyn pros and cons also appreciated).

I'm a regular v-neck wearing kind of dude with a hint of hipster on some days and North Face guy on other days. Team no basesball caps and team no buying bottles or getting tables. Leather jacket and jeans are my go to but also wouldn't mind suiting up, so that should tell you enough about where I'd want to live or go out as far as archetypes go.

Also, if you're a rep'd member in NYC, drop me a PM. Want to start networking some now.

Thanks [Image: banana.gif]

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

Where to live in NYC?

You have the right areas in mind but you're going to have a hard time finding anywhere within that budget nowadays, assuming you don't want to live with other people. I'd also recommend checking out Williamsburg/Greenpoint, although those areas are very pricey too. Getting to downtown Manhattan from those two neighborhoods won't be a problem until 2019 when they shut down the L train. There are plenty of guys actually in New York right now who know more than I do.

Where to live in NYC?

Shit, I'd still live in those places, the only major downside is price still.

Where to live in NYC?

2k is way out of Manhattan budget. I'd take a look at for Astoria.

Where to live in NYC?

Quote: (11-28-2016 10:27 PM)MCMV Wrote:  

Yeah? Am I missing something here? When I go to any of the apt search sites and set max to 2k, I get lots of results, especially in LES/EV. And not rat holes - small yes but clean looking and often have newly renovated kitchens or bathrooms as well as room for bed and small couch etc. I realize there will be other fees, security, etc. but as a monthly rent, 2k is generating ample results for studio apts.

Again, am I missing something here?

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

Where to live in NYC?

You're not getting anything reasonable in Manhattan for 2k or less unless you're willing to live in a walk up with room mates. I mean maybe you can find a place in Harlem or Washington Heights for that price, but even there it'll be difficult. For $2k you're better of looking in Brooklyn. If you're lucky you can find a place in Williamsburg for $2k but even that's doubtable unless you're willing to have room mates and a walkup. I'm moving out of Manhattan in January. I pay $3,325 for rent by Union Square and it's ridiculous (granted, I have a really nice place). 1 month of rent here can get me 6 months of rent overseas.

I'd be legitimately shocked if you were able to find a furnished studio for $2k or less anywhere in Manhattan, unless it's a walkup AND has room mates.

Where to live in NYC?

Thanks travolta.

I guess I'm still a little perplexed on what I'm seeing vs. what some people are telling me. For example, this place in the pic is 2k in LES. 600 sq ft, walk-up (which I don't mind and am used to and I also want unfurnished). Everyone's got a different standard for "anything reasonable" but for me this place pictured is ample enough to place myself in the city at a 2k price point. And there are dozens if not 100+ similar places in search results with prices ranging from 1750-2200.

Maybe people consider 1000 sq ft one bedrooms the minimum of what they will accept, so that's why they're saying look elsewhere - I'm not sure.

Any more color on this would be appreciated.

I should also probably add that I've lived in Northern NJ and Connecticut and the "bridge and tunnel" life is something I really want to avoid.

[Image: NjRA4Co.png]

Where to live in NYC?

Personally I wouldn't live or do anything in LES because I think it's disgusting but that's just me (prettyboy)

EV is all right. Lots of NYU kids running around. A little cleaner than LES which is a ratchet shithole IMO.

If I had the money to choose, I'd live in West Village/Greenwich Village - nice area, some young NYU pussy running around, etc. But that's definitely not gonna be in the 2k budget

If you can, up your budget. IMO downtown Manhattan or nothing - don't listen to people who say live in Brooklyn or Jersey City, etc. Your experience will be vastly different (worse) unless you don't mind staying in those neighborhoods and like them

Also, I don't know what apartment sites you're using, but it's mostly bait and switch by real estate agents. I would recommend trying to find something by yourself first to avoid broker fees and general bullshit agents who all have the same listings anyway (direct with landlord or some rare deal on craigslist preferable though lower probability)

Edit: I would also consider looking in the dead of winter when real estate is slow and you might have a little more wiggle room on rent (not much talking maybe 100 a month or so but depends)

PM me if you would like some more help via housing and I'll do what I can

New Post:
Men’s Style Guide: For Guys Who Want to Get Laid

You aren't getting laid because you still believe in "game".

Here's how I went from being a 21-year-old, videogame-addicted, Asian virgin to banging too many girls to count (no PUA bs):

https://whiteknightrises.com/start-here

BTC: 1A5WUGDNGnsxGJ62CXadV6T2oapKfFu4T3
ETH: 0x9019d135dD1FFA06f0CC53C5942cBce806a943dd

(If I miss your reply PM me)

Where to live in NYC?

Is it absolutely essential for you to live alone? You would get a massively better quality of life if you moved into a shared apartment. Specially considering your price range which is quite generous for a shared apartment but mediocre anywhere else. There probably will be no privacy concerns and in fact you might get a pretty baller spot.

Where to live in NYC?

Quote: (11-28-2016 10:46 PM)presidentcarter Wrote:  

Quote: (11-28-2016 10:27 PM)MCMV Wrote:  

Yeah? Am I missing something here? When I go to any of the apt search sites and set max to 2k, I get lots of results, especially in LES/EV. And not rat holes - small yes but clean looking and often have newly renovated kitchens or bathrooms as well as room for bed and small couch etc. I realize there will be other fees, security, etc. but as a monthly rent, 2k is generating ample results for studio apts.

Again, am I missing something here?

Yes, you're missing something there. I've been living in Manhattan for past 16 years. You won't get any place in Manhattan for yourself without a roommate in Manhattan for $2k per month. I mean, you can get something if you're ready to go above 110th street.

Forget about what you read at real estate websites. Experience is talking in here, I changed 7 apt's in the city in past 16 years.

Where to live in NYC?

Quote: (11-29-2016 01:57 AM)MCMV Wrote:  

Yes, you're missing something there. I've been living in Manhattan for past 16 years. You won't get any place in Manhattan for yourself without a roommate in Manhattan for $2k per month. I mean, you can get something if you're ready to go above 110th street.

Forget about what you read at real estate websites. Experience is talking in here, I changed 7 apt's in the city in past 16 years.

Elaborate for me then instead of saying "just trust me, I know".

What's the deal with there being dozens of listings of decent looking studios for ~2k? Aside from a broker's fee, what could be the catch or the hidden cost?

I appreciate the advice, but need some more concrete info. I know seasonality is a big issue, so could it be that I'm seeing rates that are hundreds less than they would be in peak season (May or so?)?

I'm looking at streeteasy, nakedapartments, etc etc.

Where to live in NYC?

It's because they are bullshit sites where any real estate agent can set a bullshit price to get someone to come see them. Especially Nakedapartments and Renthop which are probably the two main ones
- Also, most rental agents have been in the game maybe a few months tops given the low barrier to entry and will quit within the year given the difficult nature of succeeding just to give you an idea of who you're dealing with

Streeteasy might be more legit but I'm not sure as I think the site has changed a lot in the past couple of years - used to be great. Usually Streeteasy has only exclusive listings, that is one person is assigned the listing by the landlord. For other ones, like those where the address isn't listed, it usually means it is an open listing - that is not exclusive to the agent - and that you can probably just find where the apartment is and go to the landlord/leasing office directly to avoid dealing with an agent. Many of the nicer places will have leasing offices in the building or near it but those probably won't be in the 2k budget range.

New Post:
Men’s Style Guide: For Guys Who Want to Get Laid

You aren't getting laid because you still believe in "game".

Here's how I went from being a 21-year-old, videogame-addicted, Asian virgin to banging too many girls to count (no PUA bs):

https://whiteknightrises.com/start-here

BTC: 1A5WUGDNGnsxGJ62CXadV6T2oapKfFu4T3
ETH: 0x9019d135dD1FFA06f0CC53C5942cBce806a943dd

(If I miss your reply PM me)

Where to live in NYC?

Quote: (11-29-2016 02:30 AM)presidentcarter Wrote:  

Quote: (11-29-2016 01:57 AM)MCMV Wrote:  

Elaborate for me then instead of saying "just trust me, I know".

What's the deal with there being dozens of listings of decent looking studios for ~2k? Aside from a broker's fee, what could be the catch or the hidden cost?

I appreciate the advice, but need some more concrete info. I know seasonality is a big issue, so could it be that I'm seeing rates that are hundreds less than they would be in peak season (May or so?)?

I'm looking at streeteasy, nakedapartments, etc etc.

Don't believe to anything you read on websites, to begin with. Their trap is to get you there, just like car dealers. I've worked at a car dealer and %99,9 of the car commercials you see on tv is a lie.

If you see a commercial about any car that says $299 per month, that usually comes with a lot of hidden fees. You'll end up paying $450 per month.

You need to be extremely lucky to get a decent apt for $2000, because market is this way. Rentals are few and demand is big. When they do open house for an apt, especially on weekend, over 50 people see it in one day. I was living in West Village for $2400, around 6 years ago and apt was nothing special.

Go see the apt yourself, get the price and learn every detail. Don't tell me that you saw bunch of online listings for $2000 because %99 are lie.

Where to live in NYC?

You can get a nice apartment in Westchester County with 2k. But the trade off is that you will have to commute 30-45min everyday.

Where to live in NYC?

I was born and raised in NYC..... Use the 2K and get a baller place with a roommate ON THE ISLAND OF MANHATTAN.

Ive lived in Manhattan and outside of Manhattan. If I EVER moved back to NYC again I would never live outside of Manhattan again unless I was in a super stable LTR.

Logistics is a KEY Point when meeting women and social circle in NYC.

/Thread

Resident Germany Expert. See my Datasheet:
thread-59335.html

Mini Datasheets: Antwerp / Rotterdam / Lille

Where to live in NYC?

For $2k you can get a newly renovated / new construction 1 to 3 bedroom in the Journal Square area of Jersey City. The subway ride to Manhattan (PATH train) is actually a shorter and more convenient commute than many areas in Queens, Brooklyn, and the Bronx.

Where to live in NYC?

Quote: (11-28-2016 09:03 PM)Rang off the Pipe Wrote:  

You have the right areas in mind but you're going to have a hard time finding anywhere within that budget nowadays, assuming you don't want to live with other people. I'd also recommend checking out Williamsburg/Greenpoint, although those areas are very pricey too. Getting to downtown Manhattan from those two neighborhoods won't be a problem until 2019 when they shut down the L train. There are plenty of guys actually in New York right now who know more than I do.

FWIW found a 1 bedroom for $2050 in East Village. But, had to go through a broker... so add $200 to that in effective price if I stay in same place for a year, $100 for 2 years. And, of course, that's a EV "1 bedroom", so it's small.

Where to live in NYC?

Damn, I personally say go for the shitholes in LEV since it's closer to Soho. I'm personally a day gamer and soho, for me at least, had the most fine ass foot traffic I ever saw and with only a 20 min walk, establish your same day pull venue/tour changes to extract from Soho.

Don't know too much about NYU foot traffic but I would guess you could still day game there and just set up dates after but for the same day pull factor, go as close as possible to the traffic flows

Where to live in NYC?

I don't know what your tolerance for old apartments is, but chinatown is your best bet for a studio in manhattan. The rooms can be beat up, but if you manage to snag one, they are majorly cheap and walkable to everything.

Where to live in NYC?

I just did a search on StreetEasy for UES under 2k and I got 208 matches. Who says their aren't places in Manhattan for under $2k?

Granted, they will be small 4th floor walk-ups that are mostly close to York Ave, but it seems there are others that are not.

Here's a 4th floor walkup in a good location for $1,650 with an 11% fee. http://streeteasy.com/building/308-east-...nhattan/4b

Just use StreetEasy or do a Google for "No Fee NYC" and you will also get management companies that are listing places as well.

To Pay a Fee or Not Pay a Fee, that is the question? Depends, be open to both if you have the up-front cash. A "No-Fee" apt might be more expensive than paying a fee.

If you're working in downtown then you can also consider living in Brooklyn along the 4/5 train. Lot of action in BK. I personally would avoid the L train. It's overcrowded now and if there is an issue you're fucked.

Where to live in NYC?

From Queens.. I'll suggest places in Queens, downside will be your commute will be at least 30 mins via E, F, 7, R, trains

like a poster above said, Astoria is a good start.

Forest Hills, Woodside, Flushing, Sunnyside will probably be in your budget as well..

Where to live in NYC?

Screw Astoria and the Upper East Side. The nightlife is really limited. Plus, in Astoria nearly 95% of the time you have to go through an agent.

Are you willing to use roommates? If so you get some amazing deals on Gypsy Housing Facebook group.

For 2k you have plenty of options. LES, East Village, Williamburg and Bushwich are all possible.
Lower East Side would be my first choice.

I was staying with one other guy in a beautiful doorman apartment on Broadway and 150th (Dominican Harlem) for just 800e, so there are deals out there in Manhattan. There's nothing like living on the island. Brooklyn trains generally suck (nightlife is badass though) and most of Queens feels like a village.

Where to live in NYC?

Manhattan or bust. If you're some artsy hipster guy then Brooklyn

Where to live in NYC?

duped, others commented on "bait and switch"

Where to live in NYC?

For under 2k I'd suggest looking off the L train, Bushwick (north of Myrtle Broadway has amazing nightlife) or crown heights. These areas you'll have your own spot, have bars to hop around and are 30 minute commutes to the island.

Off the jmz lines you can use your phone as the train runs above ground. Feel free to PM me as I'm looking for roommates as well.