rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Jessica Jones Doubles Down on Girl Power

Quote:Quote:

Friday, executive producer Melissa Rosenberg confirmed that all 13 episodes of the Netflix original’s second season will be directed by women. Only three of the nine directors for season one of the show were women.

Season two of Jessica Jones, which Rosenberg confirmed was halfway through the writing process in September, won’t premiere until 2018 at the earliest. However, fans will get a chance to see Jones kick ass when she joins The Defenders in 2017.

In the 2015-2016 season, only 17 percent of television episodes had female directors — up from 16 percent the year before. Director Ava DuVernay — who passed on directing Marvel’s Black Panther movie — made news earlier this year when she announced her show, Queen of Sugar, would be helmed entirely by female directors

Jessica Jones won a Peabody Award and gained Marvel praise for taking on challenging themes like sexual assault and mental illness. It proved that a show with a female superhero could be just as appealing to men and women as the rest of the heavily-male Marvel canon.

But despite having strong female characters, Marvel still has a lot of catching up to do with rival DC Comics behind the scenes. So far none of the Marvel films have had female directors. There’s a chance that might change when the director for Captain Marvel, the first female-led movie for Marvel, is announced. In an October interview with IGN, Kevin Feige, head of Marvel Studios, expressed a commitment to finding a female director for the movie.

If Marvel really wants to show it’s committed to diversity, it needs to expand its film universe to focus more on films that are led by women in front of and behind the camera. Season two of Jessica Jones hopefully shows just the first of many efforts by Marvel to get more women behind the camera.

This decision came straight from the show runner Melissa Rosenberg. While I actually liked Jessica Jones I will probably skip the next season because of all the "you go gurl" nonsense being associated with it. I don't get how an all female directorial staff is suppose to make the quality of the show better, but the hamster keeps on spinning I guess. On a side note, WYB Kristen Ritter?

Quote: (10-24-2016 10:08 AM)Mochihunter Wrote:  

On a side note, WYB Kristen Ritter?

[Image: th?id=OIP.M27ddb4a083f7e24818eb5f253b13e...=274&h=156]

Is this a trick question?

[Image: kermit.gif]

As for the "we need to get more female directors behind the camera to support women" blah, that is a great way to kill what used to be a good show.

[Image: mah-nigga.jpg]

Quote: (10-24-2016 10:18 AM)eradicator Wrote:  

As for the "we need to get more female directors behind the camera to support women" blah, that is a great way to kill what used to be a good show.

Correction: It was never a good show.

I genuinely could not stand it, despite giving it a solid effort: I think I watched 5 or 6 episodes before giving up.

I agree below with MocHihunter: David Tennant was superb. That is what carried me through the first 5 episodes, after which, the girl power/sex-and-city attitude bullshit made me press the eject button.

What really sold the show for me was David Tenant's performance.

So far I definitely haven't been universally thrilled with the Netflix Marvel series.
Daredevil ranges from good to great (I'm keeping my fingers crossed Karen gets too snoopy or pigheaded for her own good and gets killed off in season 3. Probably too much to hope for.)
Jessica Jones is a selfish bitch. Although I did sit through the entire season. David Tenant was better as Doctor Who.
Luke Cage might be good but I still haven't made it past the fourth or fifth episode, just too difficult for me to identify with an almost entirely black cast.

No idea who the Iron Fist guy is who's set to be the next hero to get a Netflix series (though I also hadn't heard of Jessica Jones or Luke Cage). Keeping my hopes high for The Punisher some time next year - he was awesome in Daredevil season 2.

I remember seeing Krysten Ritter in print advertisements for Banana Republic back around 2009 or so, I was immediately in love. Hard for me to resist the dark hair/light skin look. She's aged pretty well even though she's deep in her thirties, but she used to be really cute.

However, she seems to have doubled down on the feminist rhetoric and I've paid no attention to this Jessica Jones business as a result - I expected things to go this way.

Quote: (10-24-2016 08:42 PM)MikeS Wrote:  

David Tenant was better as Doctor Who.

Played Casanova well too.

Im interested to see how Iron Fist will turn out. Hope they don't fuck up the martial art cheography. I hope Karen bites the dust too.

For an industry like show business, which prides itself on its "diversity", they're sure being fucking hypocritical by hiring only women to direct an entire season. We all know Hollywood doesn't give a shit about white men anymore, but what about all those non-white and gay directors that miss out? Where are the bleeding liberal hearts for their lost opportunities?

Hypocrisy just comes part and parcel with being a leftist.

JJ is a decent 1.5 hour movie stretched out to over 13 hours. Naturally, most of it is boring filler. Luke Cage was even worse.

I can't resist:

Quote:Quote:

This decision came straight from the show runner Melissa (((Rosenberg))).

Ms. Ritter is good enough to bang and not kick out of the bed the next morning.
I'm heavily into comics and jessica jones has no business getting a marvel series. She has a very thin back story so there isn't much to pull from to create a great story. It really shows. The show is a 2hr lifetime movie spread out into 13hrs...
Don't waste your time watching Jessica Jones... It's 13 hrs you cannot get back.
The story is god awful. In the end she just ends up doing the thing she says she never wants to do. Kills the villain but spends 13hrs trying to save him and put him in jail or some other bullshit.
There really is way too much girl power non-sense along with the semi-abusive boyfriend who has a drug problem cliche' for 13 episodes.
The best part of all of this will be when Jessica Jones is apart of the defenders tv show, her character wont be the emotional mess that she was in the solo series.

I'll watch only because i'm a comic book fan but i have pretty low expectations of it matching the quality of Daredevil, Luke Cage or Iron Fist.

It was certainly an overrated show.

Episode 7 or 8 is the tipping point of the series - something happens in the plot that really brought out how bad the show was right from the beginning; Like how Spider-Man 3 revealed the flaws of the movie series that were masked in the first two movies.

Tenant's performance is what got me interested, but I hated the protagonist's annoying bitchy attitude so much that I started against her and for him - although he doesn't truly become The Purple Man until the end.

Not going to bother with season 2. Punisher looks promising however.

Karen Page hopefully gets in too over her head and becomes a prostitute to cope with her drug addiction like in Daredevil: Born Again.