rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Working two jobs in two different cities? DC & NY!

Fellow centipedes,

Would anyone be able to share their experiences as a single male working full-time in one metro city and working part-time on weekends in another city multiple times larger than the metro city they work full-time in?

I have been in DC 10 years and wonder what options there are for a person who works full-time in DC who wants to also post a flag in NYC and swing from one branch of the tree to the other while being mindful of costs. I think it would be helpful for me to start building a network of new people I have met while in NYC.

Long-term, graduate school leading to a professional education is the obvious option to help me move from DC to NYC. But that requires a giant school loan. I'm still exploring my options here before making that plunge.

I wondered about the time invested and what the costs would be for such a venture if someone has already tried this move (e.g., maintaining two living spaces in two different cities with a studio in a centrally-located spot in DC and a room in a group house situation in a lower-priced area of Manhattan with the lowest reported crime activity, commute costs between both cities, and time mapped out for the weekends with food and miscellaneous expenses).

Let's say you still don't quite make six figures, but you are near it within 5 years or so. You work in some kind of white collar office job, and you don't quite want to be a service or hospitality worker in the larger city during these weekends. You want to do side work that would be much more profitable on Friday, Saturday and possibly the morning or afternoon of Sunday. Then you'd have to bus/drive/train/fly back to your home city to work the full grind again during the week.

Can anyone share their experiences with this scenario?

Working one job Monday to Friday and another for the weekend would exhausting if done in only one city.

Factor in how tiring travel will be and you've got a recipe for working yourself to an early death.

I'm the King of Beijing!

More curious about why you called us centipedes!

Commuting and working between two cities sounds exhausting. How long is the acela train between dc and nyc?

Are you a workaholic that doesn't care for downtime? Just curious here.

Well what industry exactly are you looking to make connections in, and why do you think getting a weekend job is the best way to make these connections? I think your post requires much more info before anyone can provide any meaningful help.

I'm considering doing the same thing, but for a part time (weekend) MBA. The flights are ~1 hour. And drive would be about 4 hours. Train ride would be 5, but means travelling for 10 hours every weekend.

David took his men with him and went out and killed two hundred Philistines and brought back their foreskins. They counted out the full number to the king so that David might become the king's son-in-law. Then Saul gave him his daughter Michal in marriage. 1 Samuel 18:27

Acela train is 3+ hours and expensive. Bus can be cheap but minimum 4 hours almost always longer. That plus rent in NYC even in a cheap spot will ruin your whole profit margin for the two days of work.

If your purpose is to make money do it all in one city. If you want to get out of DC to game in NYC just find an Airbnb room that you can stick with, pay the guy cash off the books and take 1-2 weekends a month there.

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.

A true friend is the most precious of all possessions and the one we take the least thought about acquiring.

Quote: (09-26-2016 11:18 AM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

More curious about why you called us centipedes!

The centipede is a nimble navigator

Team visible roots
"The Carousel Stops For No Man" - Tuthmosis
Quote: (02-11-2019 05:10 PM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  
I take pussy how it comes -but I do now prefer it shaved low at least-you cannot eat what you cannot see.