rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Ashwagandha for Insomnia?

I've been having insomnia issue for a while now. Some nights i sleep deeper then others and some nights i just can't sleep at all. The nights i sleep the most are the nights where i get a couple of drinks (not often). I really need help here but do not want to get on some sleeping pills. I train about 5-6 times a week heavy workouts and my caffeine levels are limited. I also try to go to bed at the same time every week day.
Here are some things i've tried that did not do anything:

-Melatonin
-Sleeping Teas
-ZMA (Had a couple of good nights at first)
-Blocking all lights in my room

Now im thinking about trying Ashwagandha. I've read a couple of study about it and its been proven to lower cortisol level, help relax, anti-anxiety and a good sleep aid.

Anyone tried this herb?

I haven't tried that to be honest, but I had pretty sever insomnia at one point and Valerian root is what cured me.

It dates back to the Romans and is really cheap and readily available. Within one night I was getting decent sleep. Within a few weeks I was pretty much back to normal. If the other one doesnt work give Valerian Root a try.

I occasionally take Ashwaganda, it does a good job of getting me to fall asleep but I often wake up a couple of hours later and have trouble getting back to sleep.

I tried Valerian root and discovered that I'm one of the rare people who reacts badly to it. My skin was crawling for 36 hours and horrible anxiety.

Personally, I sleep with a small towel over my eyes. It help tremendously. I'm considering building a sleeping pod that can be pitch black and climate controlled.

Have you tried Bright Light Therapy?

Americans are dreamers too

Ashwaganda is awesome but not for sleeping, I take 500 mg pills it releases stress very well and also great to stack with caffiene as a preworkout. Im off of it for now as you build up tolerance after a while and have to cycle it, but overall great adaptagen highly recommended. Ive tried a powder and it sucked (from india and suspect its a sham) I recommend planetary herbals ashwaganda.

For sleep I have 3 recommendations::

1) a legit sleeping mask, read amazon reviews but buy one where you can open your eyes inside the mask, slightly rounded. Its awesome! Just lay there with eyes open and its pitch black as if your eyes are closed, youll get awesome sleep
2) if your bed is like 10 years old, upgrade your bed. I couldnt afford a $400 matress so I got a hammock (not recommended) but it its great at helping me wake up early due to it being less comfortable than a bed, the more comfortable the bed is the easier and longer youll want to sleep. Look on amazon you can buy a 3000 matress for 3-400 these days.
3) eat a big meal!!! Just gorge at night, heavy carbs. I recommend a heavy protein shake, peanut butter, oatmeal, 1-2 eggs. protein powder, coconut oil or olive oil. Just load the damn thing up to 600+ calories and youll fall asleep quick.

I am having the same issue.

Do you guys use the internet or watch TV before you go to bed?

Do you drink a lot of coffee?

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

Ashwandha is a great herb. I have taken it before but not for insomnia. I was under a lot of stress and was suffering from health issues that caused me to have low energy and libido, it helped with those issues.

The reason it is marketed as a sleep aid is because it has a sedative effect on your body. However, in Ayurveda its original use was for nourishment and is thus considered as a rasayana.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasayana
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3252722/

As someone has already pointed out, you need to be careful about the quality of the Ashwagandha. Most of the studies are done on potent varieties and KSM 66 is a type that falls under that category. Anything else and you will be most likely wasting your money.

I now take Ashwagandha on workout days in the morning (Brewers yeast + bee pollen + Ashwagandha in a fruits smoothie).

As for the insomnia I had suffered from it most of my adult life. I had tried everything until a few years ago (diet, herbs, exercise) but the only thing that helped me was yoga and meditation. I personally believe that insomnia is more of a deep seated emotional problem and looking for the "pill" is a fool's pursuit. This is why anything that releases emotional and physical stress which ultimately leads to your hormones and body organs functioning properly will help you to get better sleep.

I used to have some problems sleeping, not anymore. I believe my problems were related to a Magnesium deficiency. So I now take 400mg before bed, and sometimes 1mg of Melatonin.

You could also look into Lavender. It's used in aromoatherapy and is supposed to relax you.

I've never heard of or tried Ashwagandha.

Another thing to try is a long hot shower. The cooling down afterward helps make you tired.

If you've been lying in bed for a while and can't sleep, don't stay in bed. Get up, go to another room if possible, and read a book or something similar until you feel sleepy, then go back to bed (don't get on the computer or watch TV).

This thread:

thread-46677.html

If you're still having issues, there's nothing like going Full Mormon for a while (hat tip n/a). No caffeine, booze, tobacco, no stimulants, nootropics. Food and water, exercise, sleep.

Everybody underestimates the power of coffee. I used to say the same thing, "it's just a little bit in the morning." I didn't recognize coffee's power until I removed it completely, and I suggest you do the same.

Support group here:

thread-55047.html

I suffer from insomnia sometimes but it's always the same old things that cause it. Good sleep hygiene is very important;

Quit Caffine - you don't need it, it's a scam
Get a good mattress
Limit screen time or lower the brightness
Camomile tea in the evenings
Don't count sleep. You can't bank sleep hours, so only go to bed when you are actually tired. It literally doesn't matter if you only get 4 hours one night, 8 the next.

Personally, I have a routine that works. I wind down from screens an hour or two out from sleep time, I drink camomile tea, I go to bed at roughly the same time, usually I will have taken a hot bath. Finally, I get into bed, and read until I'm falling asleep in my book. Light off.

I also try to wake up naturally, with the rise of the sun. Getting in tune with your circadian rhythms is important.

Also, potentially stressful events the following day or having to get up at certain times for the airport for example can also cause worry. Insomnia is caused by this worrying. Just knowing this can help.

Good luck op

The problem is if I regulate my circadian rythyms by waking up at or before dawn, which I am OK with, it means you are tired and in bed between 9 and 10 o'clock PM. I am OK with that but it rules out nightime entertainment which is where the pussy is at. Even if you have good old man game like myself, young hoes are just not cool with a guy that goes to sleep at the same time as her parents and grandparents.

I took ashwaganda once and i had the wildest nightmare of my life
Woke up in a pool of sweat
Watch your dosage

Thanks for the great suggestions guys! I will definitely try a couple of them. I went to the store and got a memory foam pillow. Will report soon!