rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Strava Premium - is it worth it?

I had created a free Strava account because I both run and bicycle. I run twice a week (Wednesday and Sunday evening) and go with my bike on Sunday morning, while the weather is warm. Right now, I am freestyling it, without any specific training, warm-up and so forth.

I looked over the Premium content and it looks sweet. Goal setting, training videos, training plans, etc. 60 bucks a year is very affordable, but I am not sure if, right now, it will be any use for me, since I just began and I am freestyling it. I am still trying to figure out how to interpret the data I get in the free version - for both running and cycling. Will I need Premium in the future, when I'll be more advanced, maybe?

Sure, I can activate the free Premium month, but I'd like some opinions first, because I don't want to waste it, if the Premium package is too advanced for me now.

Make Romania Great Again

I have Strava Premium mostly for the advanced analytics. Is it worth it? To me, yes, because I do very detailed analysis in all the sports I practice.
But it doesn't sound like you need that, so it might not be worth it for you right now.
I'd do this, stay on the free plan. When you are racing and using a HRM and want to go to the next level and see your Suffer Score, then upgrade.

im a cyclist and wouldnt bother. would rather put the money towards a power meter

Thank you for your answers!

Quote: (09-19-2016 12:27 AM)britabroad Wrote:  

im a cyclist and wouldnt bother. would rather put the money towards a power meter

I heard about power meters, but how can I interpret the results they give me? On my last bike ride the average power was 97W over 34.5 km. Is it good? Is it bad? Will I win Tour de France with that power?

Make Romania Great Again

you just need to remember what powers you can sustain for how long and use your meter during rides to get the maximum effort

97W is very low but strava underestimates a lot - it depends on road quality and wind speed massively (my average is around 150W on strava but is actually 200W)

to win tour de france you need 6W/kg so around 400W at 66kg

Quote: (09-19-2016 12:27 AM)britabroad Wrote:  

It isn't a mutually exclusive choice. And the power meter is useless while running as he asks about in his post.

Strava will map your power over your entire ride if you have a power meter. Get a garmin edge bike bundle. Sync it with Strava and you can see your power profile vs your ride.

I know many marathoners, professional cyclists, and ironmen. Everyone uses Strava.