rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Going back to school to get my CPA

I just turned 30, and tentatively decided to go back to school and get my CPA. I have a pretty worthless degree in international studies with a minor in Spanish. My professional resume is pretty limited. I briefly taught English in Japan and lived in South America for a couple years where I also taught English on a limited basis. My last 5 years of travel have been funded primarily by playing poker as well as working part time jobs no more than 15 hours a week. I have spent the last 5 years just getting by and failing to decide on a career path. I consulted some friends who advised me to look into a bilingual sales job, which I considered, but didn't take any action on. Instead, I registered to go back to school to get my CPA. School starts in about two weeks.

My current life consists of a new job working security at a strip club which my friend, the owner, hooked me up with (15-20 hrs/week) and poker playing (also 15-20 hours. The strip club gig pays $15-$18/hour depending on tips and number of girls working. The poker has averaged about $24/hr over the last 3 years that I still have records. I am also dabbling in importing now. I have just received samples for some products that I am taking to local stores to try to sell wholesale, but which I ultimately plan to sell online. So far I haven't made

I'm going to list the pros and cons of getting my CPA and ask for advice on this plan, whether to do it or ditch it for another path. By the way my plan isn't is to be a managerial accountant or possibly get into auditing which will allow for travelling.

Cons:

1. 2 years of school.
2. Tuition of 14k for which I will require loans.
3. The uncomfortable feeling of being in school with kids 10 years younger than me.
4. It is supposedly one of the most difficult majors, which doesn't concern me except for the fact that it could cost me an extra semester if the workload is too much or I fuck up a class.
5. Wasting time when I could be doing something more profitable.
6. Bullshit bureaucracy that accompanies the white collar world.
7. Limited time to travel and visit my kid.

Pros:

1. Business is something that I haven't studied, but I think I would enjoy and thrive at.
2. Clear and direct career path.
3. Potential to work either remotely for a company or start my own business after a few years experience
4. Job security. Accountants are always in demand.
5. High pay
6. Ability to keep my current job at the strip club and continue playing poker as much as my time allows.
7. Being in class with girls 10 years younger than me.

Given the info I provided, does going back to school seem like a good idea? If not, what other paths should I consider. Is there anything I am overlooking? Thanks guys. Oh and I am in the good old USA now.

I know Cobra has posted some quality information on related topics, so in case you haven't read his work I highly recommend it.

My advice - do it.

I took a more direct route to my CPA and had it in the bag when I was 23. I get the impression one of your hang ups is that you'll be the old guy, which in my mind shouldn't be a concern. There were a couple of guys I went through school with, went on to Big 4 with, and am in touch with to this day, who started down this path around your age, and their level of maturity and perspective in my mind gave them a distinct advantage, which I would ballpark at effectively worth two to three years of experience, and they're all working in industry now at the VP level making $150k - $200k within 10 years of graduating with an accounting degree.

I strongly recommend continuing school, participating in Big 4 networking and recruiting, spend 4 years with a Big 4 firm ( which will pay for your CPA review and potentially a bonus for passing the exam in your first year or two), then see where you want to go from there.

As long as you fit in with your classmates and then with your peers at the firm of your choosing (I.e, go out drinking with them and the like) and aren't a pussy in terms of putting in hours and traveling (i.e. Do not give the appearance of using your kid as leverage to get out of doing work, or you will be resented), you will win big league.

Thanks, never heard of Big 4 before. Maybe I'll look into doing my internship next summer with them.

Is Big 4 networking and recruiting something I can participate while in school? I live about 2 hours from the nearest Big 4 firm, and the schmoozing sounds like not too much fun, but I'm sure I can tolerate it. I asked someone I know in the accounting program where I will be going about recruiting and all she said was, "you can join accounting club."

Great decision, one of the most secure careers out there.

I'm not an accountant (I just work with them) but just a heads up -- make sure you get on creating a profile on your school Career Services site ASAP, many big companies hire interns in Sept and Oct. Troll the job posting board hard. There also may be a career fair. If you suit up and just meander around meeting recruiters I promise that you will stand out, they will meet tons of 20 year olds with no experience besides raking bunkers at the golf course over the summer so your background will leave an impression.

Good luck!

Getting into one of the big 4 firms is competitive and they usually hire fresh accounting/business majors from legitimate and reputable universities, not from 2 year community colleges. (most of these kids that get hired usually have done an internship at their respective firm during their college years before getting their offer) and mind you that these firms will work you to death the first 2-3 years. (during tax season, be ready for 70-80 hrs/wk doing audits and visiting clients. A lot of people do get burned out and move onto a different industry. But having worked at Big 4 is invaluable and a huge boost on your resume. Passing all the CPA exams takes a lot of time and serious effort. The bottom line is, if you are serious about getting into accounting, go to the right school and get into the right firm if you want to make a lot of money later down the road. But in my opinion, the accounting field just like the legal field is over saturated, sure there is a lot of jobs for mediocre pay and the work is going to be boring and repetitive.

Quote: (08-27-2016 01:25 PM)komatiite Wrote:  

Great decision, one of the most secure careers out there.

I'm not an accountant (I just work with them) but just a heads up -- make sure you get on creating a profile on your school Career Services site ASAP, many big companies hire interns in Sept and Oct. Troll the job posting board hard. There also may be a career fair. If you suit up and just meander around meeting recruiters I promise that you will stand out, they will meet tons of 20 year olds with no experience besides raking bunkers at the golf course over the summer so your background will leave an impression.

Good luck!

I disagree with respect to the field being oversaturated. Certain markets, maybe, but in the markets in familiar with (and have recently tried to hire from) there's a definite shortage of high energy, qualified CPAs in the 3-5 years experience tier.

I should add that, like any career, being willing to relocate for the right gig opens a lot of opportunities.

OP, what town is the nearest Big 4 firm you mentioned being 2 hours away?

Pollito that city is Milwaukee. I'm fine with going to Chicago or anywhere else, frankly. I am open to being an auditor for a big multi national which would require travelling.

I don't want to do taxes as a career, but I'll do them to get my feet wet. Like someone said, its boring and repetitive and busy as fuck during tax season. The ceiling also would be low in terms of advancement and opportunities, I imagine. I want to be a managerial accountant. From what I understand, the work won't be so monotonous, it will require creativity, and the ceiling is high.

I'll learn more soon, but I want to decide exactly what path I want to take ASAP. I read some study of Harvard students that were in a certain major. That group was broken down into people that knew what career they wanted, those that didn't, and those that knew what they wanted and wrote it down. The study followed the subjects 10 years later and those that knew what hey wanted to be earned 3x more than those that didnt, and those that wrote down their goals earned 10x as much. I probably massacred that, but the point is I want to clearly define my goals for myself.

Thanks for the help and support guys

To clarify, CPA does not equal taxes-- and taxes does not equal cranking out tax returns a la H&R block.

You can work in the tax practice of a firm for a few years and develop a valuable skill set, which you might leverage and use to start your own firm later on or jump to Fortune 500, where your knowledge of tax strategy can save an international organization and its owners millions or billions of dollars. In the latter case, you will likely cap out as VP of Tax, if you're highly intelligent and creative.

Or, start out in audit, which affords literally exponential possibilities in terms of career path (if you're highly intelligent and creative) and caps out at Chief Accounting Officer or CFO.

I can ramble on about the second point further, feel free to PM me after you've done some more research (including reading Cobra's thread about public accounting, I'd link to it if I knew how to on my phone), or post up here, if you have specific questions.

To the OP:

You registered for school already. Your in. What you are experiencing is essentially buyer's remorse. The "what if?".

Every single con you listed is either irrelevant financially in the long run or you will deal with it because it lets you do what you want. And if you didn't deal with it, you don't want those things that badly anyways.

So suck it up buttercup. In < 3 years you'll be better off for it and have a better idea of where you are in life.

Getting a CPA is a lot more than just going back to school for a few years. It does vary by state though.

I have a bachelors in accounting and I'm glad I never went the CPA route. Personally I find accounting to be very dry and boring, but there are some that find it fascinating.

The key thing with your age will be to avoid showing it as a bad thing when compared to younger classmates. You'll need to show willingness to travel and work long hours if need be.

Time for you to figure out what you want to do.

1. Do your research on typical and less typical things to do with your degree (in general). Read a bunch of stuff, including data sheets referenced above
2. Look up people who got the same degree as you from any school on LinkedIn
3. Look up people who got the same degree as you from your school on LinkedIn
4. Look up people who got other but related degrees from your school on LinkedIn
5. Start reaching out to people who looked interesting to talk and get a better idea of what they do and how to break in
6. Follow up with them later and keep them updated on your progress
7. Filter down your interests then use this network to help find yourself an internship and job

Data Sheet Maps | On Musical Chicks | Rep Point Changes | Au Pairs on a Boat
Captainstabbin: "girls get more attractive with your dick in their mouth. It's science."
Spaniard88: "The "believe anything" crew contributes: "She's probably a good girl, maybe she lost her virginity to someone with AIDS and only had sex once before you met her...give her a chance.""

Quote: (08-27-2016 04:52 PM)Dickerstaff1 Wrote:  

Pollito that city is Milwaukee. I'm fine with going to Chicago or anywhere else, frankly. I am open to being an auditor for a big multi national which would require travelling.

I don't want to do taxes as a career, but I'll do them to get my feet wet. Like someone said, its boring and repetitive and busy as fuck during tax season. The ceiling also would be low in terms of advancement and opportunities, I imagine. I want to be a managerial accountant. From what I understand, the work won't be so monotonous, it will require creativity, and the ceiling is high.

I'll learn more soon, but I want to decide exactly what path I want to take ASAP. I read some study of Harvard students that were in a certain major. That group was broken down into people that knew what career they wanted, those that didn't, and those that knew what they wanted and wrote it down. The study followed the subjects 10 years later and those that knew what hey wanted to be earned 3x more than those that didnt, and those that wrote down their goals earned 10x as much. I probably massacred that, but the point is I want to clearly define my goals for myself.

Thanks for the help and support guys

Big4 wants someone young and fresh out of school. You will be at a disadvantage, but it isn't impossible. You can make it if you have the right mindset, namely-

1) you know you are making up for lost time and are willing to sacrifice to get "back on track", and
2) you are willing to make the firm and the job your #1 priority and focus.

Family, life, and overall balance take the back seat. If that isn't your mindset, Big4 will chew you up and spit you out. Some of the best employees we had were new hires around your age. They had life experiences that a 23 year old lacks, they had depth in relationships and could manage the conflicting personalities of a diverse team. They were in it to make it.

Some of the worst hires were new hires around your age. They had kids and were in way over their heads and either quit or were pushed out after the first busy season.

If you really want to go Big4, try and get into one of the big markets. They are always looking for new hires- Chicago, LA, SF, Silicon Valley, NYC. Your best bet will probably be Chicago since that is your closest market. It will be awful. I hated every minute of it, and burned out hard. To get the full experience, go set a chair in the corner of a room and stare at the wall for 16 hours. That's what it will be like. If you can handle that, you'll make it! I wanted to be a manager. So did everyone else in my start class of 70. Only 5 made it. It was a bum time, I don't even like thinking about it. Imagine working until 1AM every night on a regular basis, sometimes later. Imagine having no days off, and every day being "Monday". Imagine going weeks and weeks without a day off, and not even having time to shop for groceries or do laundry, let along go to the gym. You'll gain weight, age quickly, and get some gray hairs for sure.

As a career path, audit has the most possibilities. You will understand accounting and "get it" in a way that non-auditors never will. There will be an understanding that someone with an audit background knows what they are doing, and you will be a more competitive hire. It is best if you have Big4 on your resume, because those are recognized worldwide. A regional firm will be discounted. You can go into corporate accounting, finance, technical accounting, external reporting, systems, internal audit...really it becomes endless. You cap out as either a director of accounting or CFO if lucky. There's a saying in the industry, and it is VERY true- an accountant will understand finance, but someone in finance won't understand accounting. An audit background will make you very valuable, especially as those around you just don't "get it".

Don't be so quick to write off tax. It is very interesting and always changing. There are many different specializations too, not just the standard income tax return for every Sally and Joe off the street. I had a friend who worked exclusively with high net worth individuals. You are dealing with professional athletes, trust fund babies, Silicon Valley cashouts, movie stars, and business owners / titans of industry. All have very complex tax situations, and essentially you help them structure their lives and business assets as to minimize taxes.

Tax is very powerful in the corporate world. The CEO wants to make a deal, who is right by his side? Tax. The CFO wants to engage in a complex transaction, who is there to make it even more complex? Tax. The sales team is trying to win a new customer and the contract has unfavorable language. Who puts a stop to it? Tax. You can get into SALT- state and local tax, transfer pricing- the manufacture of goods (or services) in one location (usually low or no tax) and transfer them at a "fair" price to another jurisdiction, US corporate tax, and international tax. With international tax, you work closely with local lawyers and tax experts in local countries when setting up new companies, helping with tax filings, or understanding tax compliance. With tax, you are essentially a specialized lawyer.

Imagine working at a giant multinational, with a giant organization chart on the wall with lines which parent entity owns the child entities. It's a war board, and you are the general. Your goal is to minimize taxes, but also to get cash back into the US (as your sales will most likely be routed through a low tax jurisdiction abroad). You have to be very creative. The complex intercompany transactions will make your head spin.

As stated before, you cap out at VP of tax or partner if you stay at an accounting firm. I've seen VPs of tax pull down $450K a year (including stock and bonuses). Tax has longer tenure and stability. The tax VPs will outlast the CEOs and CFOs (which are political positions and can fall out of favor with investors).

Summary-

Tax is better for the family man. Better hours, less travel. With tax, you will always be in tax and nothing else. Audit has more career options (meaning more areas you can go into). Apply for Big4, but don't be crushed if you don't get it. Many things will be outside of your control (the local market at the time you apply, how bad they need people, how much the recruiter likes you). You can always start in audit and transfer to tax or another branch. Had some friends do that. No one ever transfers from another branch into audit. Apply for everything, and take what you can get.

The CPA license will open doors. Pretty much every accounting and finance job you get from here on out will give preference to a CPA. I've seen people get "stuck" because they don't have the CPA license. Also, know that having the CPA license makes you somewhat of a "public" figure. Your name (and address depending on state) will be of public record, and anything you do will result in public shaming. I get the quarterly newsletters from my state and half the pamphlet is about who beat their wife, who engaged in fraudulent activity, who solicited sex from an undercover cop, who solicited sex from an undercover cop (again), and the worst sin a CPA can commit- who got a DUI. The state boards hate DUIs, so don't do anything stupid.

While I don't have any experience in the field per say, I am currently getting a masters in finance and my school has a similar Masters in accountancy program. I would recommend this over a lesser degree because it will be more marketable for a Big 4 role, and you'll also get access to on campus recruiting and a career center that can help you land an offer. Also, given your age an MBA could be better option for you as well.

Come, my friends, ‘Tis not too late to seek a newer world.

-Alfred, Lord Tenyson

Thanks for all the info guys. I start next week and have classes in intro to accounting, operations management, marketing, organizational behavior, and one other class. To sit for the CPA I need 150 credits (check), and 24 credits of accounting classes and 24 credits of business classes and maybe some econ but I already have those. I see no need in getting an additional degree in accounting.

It sounds like I should aim for audit and start working on getting a good internship for next summer as well as manhandling my way to prez of the accounting club. The only problem is my school is kind of shitty. As far as I know we don't have any Big 4 recruiters, but I plan on travelling to go to various events. I have a good friend who is in this same program who is also willing to do all this shit too, so that should help. I'll update this as I start classes.

Great news OP, looking forward to the data sheet on how to leverage an accounting club leadership post for banging out these hoes using a double entry system.

Damn, all this helping corps/HNWI avoid taxes sounds like my kind of deal.

I regret not going into accounting during undergrad. I'd be the Pablo Escobar or Johnny Cochran of tax avoidance.

Cattle 5000 Rustlings #RustleHouseRecords #5000Posts
Houston (Montrose), Texas

"May get ugly at times. But we get by. Real Niggas never die." - cdr

Follow the Rustler on Twitter | Telegram: CattleRustler

Game is the difference between a broke average looking dude in a 2nd tier city turning bad bitch feminists into maids and fucktoys and a well to do lawyer with 50x the dough taking 3 dates to bang broads in philly.

Quote: (08-29-2016 04:43 AM)frozen-ace Wrote:  

If you really want to go Big4, try and get into one of the big markets. They are always looking for new hires- Chicago, LA, SF, Silicon Valley, NYC. Your best bet will probably be Chicago since that is your closest market. It will be awful. I hated every minute of it, and burned out hard. To get the full experience, go set a chair in the corner of a room and stare at the wall for 16 hours. That's what it will be like. If you can handle that, you'll make it! I wanted to be a manager. So did everyone else in my start class of 70. Only 5 made it. It was a bum time, I don't even like thinking about it. Imagine working until 1AM every night on a regular basis, sometimes later. Imagine having no days off, and every day being "Monday". Imagine going weeks and weeks without a day off, and not even having time to shop for groceries or do laundry, let along go to the gym. You'll gain weight, age quickly, and get some gray hairs for sure.

Why must this be so extreme? Is that typical of working in Big4 in the US? Or more a typical US thing? I know it is the case in investment banks and hedge funds, but these work weeks are just extreme.

In Amsterdam Big4 people also work hard but nothing like this. Maybe 55-70 hours. Heck, 70 hours is extreme already if its not for your own business.

A friend of mine works for E&Y in Germany and clocks in 70+ hours easily. Towards the end of the year its more like 80+ hours. Dude has no life...

Quote: (08-29-2016 06:19 PM)BoiBoi Wrote:  

A friend of mine works for E&Y in Germany and clocks in 70+ hours easily. Towards the end of the year its more like 80+ hours. Dude has no life...

I did some quick research and apparently the PEAK Work loads at Big 4 in the Netherlands are 8:00 Am - 9 PM in the period when the annual reports are made, so 65 hours a week (assuming 5 working days). 65 hours as peak working week.

Anglosaxon and German working weeks are slavery!

I would only do this route only if you like dealing with numbers. I have an Accounting degree and a MBA. I decided not to get into Accounting because while it is a stable job it's boring and your putting in a lot of work for little money. Entry level accountants make around 40k and during tax time work crazy hours. Just wasn't too appealing to me even though I do like numbers.

(this is not a judgment against anyone)

If you're reading carefully between the lines, you might notice two camps:
1. "average job, average pay at no name firm" and
2. "top brand name with kill yourself hours and great potential."

There isn't much in-between, and this exists in many, if not all industries.

You can always leave the prestigious position for a less stressful one. It's harder to break into the top of the line if you don't get your ducks in a row from the start.

Choose your own adventure.

Data Sheet Maps | On Musical Chicks | Rep Point Changes | Au Pairs on a Boat
Captainstabbin: "girls get more attractive with your dick in their mouth. It's science."
Spaniard88: "The "believe anything" crew contributes: "She's probably a good girl, maybe she lost her virginity to someone with AIDS and only had sex once before you met her...give her a chance.""

Quote: (08-29-2016 06:15 PM)Lime Wrote:  

Quote: (08-29-2016 04:43 AM)frozen-ace Wrote:  

Why must this be so extreme? Is that typical of working in Big4 in the US? Or more a typical US thing? I know it is the case in investment banks and hedge funds, but these work weeks are just extreme.

In Amsterdam Big4 people also work hard but nothing like this. Maybe 55-70 hours. Heck, 70 hours is extreme already if its not for your own business.

The main reason for the hours is due diligence. Things are getting more complex, and the stakes are higher. It's all about showing you did everything you could in the event of a lawsuit. It's not in the US where you work a lot of hours- it's bad all over. India is awful. Brazil. Singapore. China. The list goes on and on. Smaller cities are more chill because the clients are smaller and generally are not publicly traded entities, so you don't have to do as much work and the deadlines aren't as aggressive. The only place I heard in the US that was really chill was Hawaii. And even if you work in a smaller market (or even a big market), you can get pulled anywhere there is a need. We had people going to NYC to work on the bank audits, and when our times were bad we pulled people from the midwest to help get the work done. You also have other "one off" items that increase workload- like issuing a "comfort letter" for a debt issuance, or working on a startup that is going public through the IPO process. An IPO is generally the worst in terms of hours because it is nonstop due diligence and there are other players in the house- the underwriters (i.e. Goldman Sachs) and the lawyers.

1) Internal controls. It started in 1992 with the Committee of Sponsoring Organizations of the Treadway Commission which established the internal control framework (this is referred to as "COSO"). Then when the Enron and WorldCom accounting scandals came to light, the public demanded action and confidence from the capital markets. Congress answered with the Sarbanes- Oxley Act, specifically Section 404 and the assessment of internal control over financial reporting. This is what is referred to as "Sox". It is a mind-numbing waste of time, but has to be done. Essentially every process (treasury, revenue, fixed assets, cash, payroll....an so on) has to have a giant flowchart outlining how things work, identify controls and what could go wrong, and then the company will keep records (usually in binders) documenting the controls being performed. Large companies can literally have thousands of controls and binders that take up entire ROOMS. As the auditor, you have to assess the effectiveness of the company's internal controls by reviewing all of those binders, and also performing your own walkthroughs (taking a process from start to finish and asking questions) and independent testwork, performing interviews of key and non-key entity personnel, and in general being a giant pain in the ass. As a rough estimate, about 50% of an audit is spend just on internal controls.

2) The Public Company Accounting Oversight Board- this regulatory body was formed out of the Sarbanes- Oxley Act, and it regulates the accounting firms that perform audit services to issuers (companies traded on the public exchange). The PCAOB is a vicious and over-zealous entity, and they have the authority to audit the audits, review audit workpapers, and issue scathing reports and deficiency notices. They can fine you, and if the deficiencies are particularly egregious, they can even ban specific individuals from practicing public accounting. The PCAOB strikes the fear of God in all the accounting firms. So think about every little workpaper you produce- it can and will be looked at by someone from the PCAOB. Is your documentation clear enough? Is there anything on there that might lead one to question your conclusions? So it becomes a giant exercise in CYA (cover your ass). There will even be boxes and boxes of banker boxes labled "CYA" that aren't part of the audit working papers and are not required to be saved but were used as support/ backup to come to audit conclusions. These CYA papers were what Arthur Anderson shredded in the fallout of the Enron scandal, and the accounting firm was found guilty of obstructing justice. This was later overturned by the US Supreme Court, but by then the firm was already destroyed, turning the "Big5" into the monopolistic "Big4", creating even less competition in the major markets.

3) Employees are exempt from overtime. If you have someone on salary, and you have to have an audit done by xx date, why not work them to death? They are going to leave after two years anyway, and there's no shortage of fresh, high energy college grads ready and willing to take their place. Some countries have different overtime laws, but you still work like a dog regardless.

4) The rules get tougher and tougher every year. The AICPA issues new guidance. The PCAOB issues new guidance. The Securities and Exchange Commission issues new guidance. The Financial Accounting Standards Board changes the accounting literature or issues a major new pronouncement. The Firm issues new internal guidance around certain audit procedures. Every year more and more things get added on. And there is constant downward pressure to do more with less, become more efficient. It creates the perfect storm for lots of work in a compressed amount of time.

5) With the new rules after the Enron and WorldCom scandals, all of the audit documentation has to be completed and signed off BEFORE an entity releases its filed financial statements to the SEC. This means all your work needs to be done by a certain date. To give you some ideas on what this means for deadlines-

Large Accelerated Filer ($700M of public stock float or more)
60 days for annual form 10-K, 40 days for quarterly form 10-Q

Accelerated Filer ($75M to $700M of public stock float)
75 days for annual form 10-K, 40 days for quarterly form 10-Q

Non-Accelerated Filer (less than $75M of public stock float)
90 days for annual form 10-K, 45 days for quarterly form 10-Q

Imagine working in a major market where all the clients are large accelerated filers. Then imagine your buddy working on a smaller client that is a non-accelerated filer. Which of you two will have time to do laundry and go to the store to buy food?? Then imagine another friend who works on a private company where none of those deadlines even apply. Now who has the best life balance?

Another thing to note about those deadlines and "busy season". On average a company will have a 12/31 year end, which makes for a busy Jan-Feb. However, a company can have any year end it wants. So you have 3/31, 6/30, 9/30, and some random ones where they have a 52 Friday's in a fiscal year (which means the year end jumps around a little bit every year). If you are in a big market, you go from one busy season to the next. It is busy season year round. There is never down time.

If you don't get an internship your the summer before your final year, don't beat yourself up too hard. I wasn't good enough to get an internship, but the next year I got the job, which is what matters. The internships are just PR stunts to lure you in anyway. They are always pulling you out of work to do fun "volunteer" work, and they limit you to a STRICT 8 hour day. You don't feel the burn of a late night, not even once, while working as an intern. Once you get 3 months or 6 months into the job, you can't tell who did an internship and who didn't. The playing field will become equal.

Big4 doesn't recruit at your school? Your chances of getting in will be seriously diminished. How far is the nearest school where they do recruit? The recruiting events are generally in the evenings, you should suit up and boot up, and hit those up, even if you don't attend the school. You better have A's in your accounting classes (I've seen people turned down because they got a C in intermediate accounting, the core and most important accounting class you will ever take). And you better bring your A-game. Stay in shape, dress sharp, and be an interesting person. You want to be "that guy" they want on their team. You will be older, so you will stand out. Use it to your advantage. The strange older guys, quiet and introverted, they didn't have a shot in hell. Who wants to work with someone who "missed the boat", is quiet, and has the personality of a slug?? The older guys who beamed confidence and had a commanding presence had no problem getting hired.

Even if you miss the big hiring and the start class, there is always turnover, and the recruiters are under pressure to find talent. Each firm has an office in every major market (and some minor markets), look up their phone number on google, cold call, and ask to speak to a recruiter. Then sell yourself. Have your resume polished and ready to email. Hard to do during the major hiring season, but as soon as that is over it is easier to get their attention.

One other thing that is cool about the Big4- after a couple years (generally 3+), you can do an international rotation to a location of your choosing, if there is a need. I had coworkers who did Singapore, Brazil, Germany, and Ireland. Most people burn out before that becomes a reality though, myself included.

Polar, you brought up a very good point about the two camps.

Is there any in-between or exit strategy?

Some guy wrote in Cobras accounting data sheet that working as an accountant for a hedge fund is a pretty cushy job with decent pay and reasonable hours.

Regarding exit strategies, I would be willing to bust ass for a few years in order to gain skills which would help me transition to my own business. It is my understanding that accounting, more so than most other business fields, will prepare someone to start their own business.

Also, is working remotely possible as an accountant? This would be the preferable end game. In this case high income wouldn't be as important because I could live cheaply wherever in the world.

These are the realities I want to consider embarking on this path.

Quote: (08-30-2016 03:01 AM)Dickerstaff1 Wrote:  

Polar, you brought up a very good point about the two camps.

Is there any in-between or exit strategy?

Some guy wrote in Cobras accounting data sheet that working as an accountant for a hedge fund is a pretty cushy job with decent pay and reasonable hours.

Regarding exit strategies, I would be willing to bust ass for a few years in order to gain skills which would help me transition to my own business. It is my understanding that accounting, more so than most other business fields, will prepare someone to start their own business.

Also, is working remotely possible as an accountant? This would be the preferable end game. In this case high income wouldn't be as important because I could live cheaply wherever in the world.

These are the realities I want to consider embarking on this path.

Exit strategy-

Leave as first year or second year- you wasted your time. You show the world you can't hack it as an accountant. You should really find another career, this just isn't for you.

Leave right after making senior (2+ to 3 years)- you have enough experience to get your CPA license, you have the coveted "senior" title, and you are a badass at the Friday happy hours. A wide spectrum of jobs will open up, this is a great time to jump. You have a lot of flexibility here and can decide to take your career in a different direction if you wish. Salary on the outside will vary wildly by market, generally you'll be in the $60-$80K range.

Leave right before making manager (5-6 years)- You wasted your time. You should have stayed until you made manager, or left right after making senior. With some exceptions, the jobs you can get are the same jobs your friends got when they left two years ago. You will command a decent salary because of your work experience.

Leave after making manager (6-7 years)- Congratulations, you made it to the exalted manager status. At the start everyone says they want to be a manager, but few make it. You will be pulling down a decent salary, and you will get constant job offers from headhunters or contacts in the industry. You can be really picky when deciding what to take. You will be eligible for jobs that those who left at senior simply cannot obtain. Harder to change your career direction at this point, you are a committed accountant. Your work will be very technical in nature.

Leave after making senior manager (8-10 years)- Pretty much same as manager, except even higher level jobs and status. You are looking at director and VP roles at this point.

Working remote- I haven't seen this done except for entry level jobs (like booking cash entries or something), or couple days at home and a couple days at the office. At big companies, many of the jobs where you could work remote are simply farmed out to low-cost shared service centers in India, Malay, China, Phils, or wherever. As you get higher up, it becomes more about your soft skills and interacting with other people who don't understand the technical and rely on your expertise. Hard to do that being remote over email, especially when you are dealing with non-accountants. If your end goal is to go into accounting to work remote and be independent, you will probably be disappointed with the results. That said, I think specialized tax would give you the most options to be self-employed while living abroad. If your goal is to be abroad and secure a job in the local economy, an audit background would be better as tax would be too specialized for the United States.

I'm a bit late to the thread so I won't rehash what's been already said (which is GREAT advice, by the way), but I did something similar to what you're planning to do. I went back to school in my late 20's to pursue my MBA full-time and specifically loaded it with Accounting courses so I'd qualify to sit for the CPA exam upon graduation (my long-term goal was to start my own practice). I want to respond to your pros and cons since I had similar hopes/concerns before I started this path myself a few years ago:

Cons:

1. 2 years of school. -
Think of it as a break from the real world, which you'll be spending the rest of your life in after graduation.

2. Tuition of 14k for which I will require loans. -
It could be a LOT worse, mine certainly was. That $14K of tuition (plus living expenses) is, in my opinion, a small investment for something that WILL pay off big time once you complete the journey. It'll motivate you to keep working hard and stick it out as well.

3. The uncomfortable feeling of being in school with kids 10 years younger than me. -
I was concerned about this too, but it ended up not bothering me at all since I looked at school as a means to an end. I also suspect there will be a few people around your age (there always are), and even if you're the oldest one in the class, all the more reason for the younger ladies to want to chat with you [Image: smile.gif]

4. It is supposedly one of the most difficult majors, which doesn't concern me except for the fact that it could cost me an extra semester if the workload is too much or I fuck up a class. -
It's hard but not THAT hard. As long as you put in the work you'll get through it just fine. Now, the CPA exams - THOSE are pretty damn hard, but once again - it's just a matter of putting in the time.

5. Wasting time when I could be doing something more profitable. -
I didn't really consider opportunity cost all that much when I decided to do this, because I knew it was something I really, really wanted to do. I'd say make sure you feel the same way should you decide to pursue this path.

6. Bullshit bureaucracy that accompanies the white collar world. -
Sure, like most corporate/office jobs this is unavoidable. But, once you get your CPA and have a couple of years of experience, the world is your oyster and you can write your own ticket or start your own business.

7. Limited time to travel and visit my kid. -
You'll have just as much, if not more time to do this while in school compared to working a full-time job in my opinion.

Pros:

1. Business is something that I haven't studied, but I think I would enjoy and thrive at. -
If you want to be successful in business I strongly believe that mastering Accounting is one of the biggest ways to set yourself up for it. I don't think you can go wrong here.

2. Clear and direct career path. -
Plenty of flexibility and options as well, that others have covered above. It's not always exciting but it does significantly decrease your odds of ever going hungry.

3. Potential to work either remotely for a company or start my own business after a few years experience -
Yes sir. That's what ultimately sold me on it after a few years in the real world. I have my own practice today and I couldn't be happier.

4. Job security. Accountants are always in demand. -
I would qualify this one with CERTIFIED PUBLIC ACCOUNTANTS are always in demand. It's been covered already, but there is definitely a big difference between the benefits of being a regular Accountant vs. a CPA, so definitely make passing those exams priority #1 after graduating.

5. High pay -
It certainly has that potential. It won't necessarily be the case right out of school, but it's still higher than average and can increase exponentially as your certifications and experiences increase.

6. Ability to keep my current job at the strip club and continue playing poker as much as my time allows. -
I can't see why it wouldn't allow for this, though if you end up in public accounting or start your own business there will definitely be busy seasons throughout the year.

7. Being in class with girls 10 years younger than me. -
Now we're talking!!

The last piece of advice I'd like to mention is to always keep getting your CPA License in mind throughout this entire process, because it truly opens doors and creates job security in incredible ways once you obtain it. Set yourself up so that you can take and pass those exams as quickly as possible for as cheaply as possible and you'll soar. It was my plan and I'm really glad I was able to carry it out, because the view from the other side is a great one indeed.

Best of luck, and keep the questions coming if you have any. Lots of smart guys in here!!