rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Obama giving away control of internet

I was originally going to post this in the Is Obama that bad? thread.

However, I think that the consequences of this decision merit its own thread.

Two Months Left Until Obama Gives Dictators Cotrol of Internet

Quote:Quote:

President Barack Obama is determined to give away control of the Internet within two months — one of the worst blunders in the history of national security, economic policy, and the fight for liberty generally.
In the wake of the embarrassing revelation that the National Security Agency (NSA) was spying on foreign leaders, the Obama administration announced plans in 2014 to shift control of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) from the U.S. to a multilateral body.

Under the supervision of Obama crony and Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker — a billionaire heiress and campaign bundler with no technological experience, and a history of failure in the subprime loans industry — the administration has ignored critics of the plan. They point out that transferring control of domain names to a body like the UN’s International Telecommunication Union (ITU) could leave autocratic nations like Russia, China, and even Iran in charge of the world’s most important free medium.

Breitbart News noted in 2014:

U.S. control of domain names has guaranteed freedom of speech and commerce across the Internet, against the strenuous efforts of countries like China and Iran to suppress Internet traffic and content. In addition, victims of international terror have found potential relief in U.S. courts by suing to seize the domain names of countries like Iran in lieu of direct compensation. Without U.S. control, those victims would have no possible recourse.

The Republican-controlled House passed legislation in 2014 to defund the ICANN transfer, and in 2015 to provide Congress with a 30-day period to review it when it happens. Earlier this year, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) and Rep. Sean Duffy (R-WI) introduced the Protecting Internet Freedom Act to prevent the transfer without Congressional approval.

But while the bills have been debated, the administration has moved ahead, the Washington Examiner reports, with transfer scheduled Oct. 1.

Black Pigeon Speaks video on the topic:

Trump is playing chess while Soros is playing checkers, and the other cucks are off playing Candyland at Jeb's house. - iop890

This subject seems really interesting.
Has someone any deeper knowledge about the potential outcomes?

Will it impact:
- webmasters?
- anonymity on the web?
- the number of websites we can access via mainstream search engines?
- the ability of SJW to control social websites?
- other?

This is arguably the biggest news of the year by far. We should get this out to people who can influence things.

Read my Latest at Return of Kings: 11 Lessons in Leadership from Julius Caesar
My Blog | Twitter

Time to do massive development on the darknet.

What does this actually mean? The UN will be in charge of website names and ip addresses?
Like, they can allow or not certain websites to be accessed? Would they deny my website name of 'allsomaliansaredishonest.com' ?

"A stripper last night brought up "Rich Dad Poor Dad" when I mentioned, "Think and Grow Rich""

Quote: (08-19-2016 04:44 PM)spokepoker Wrote:  

What does this actually mean? The UN will be in charge of website names and ip addresses?
Like, they can allow or not certain websites to be accessed? Would they deny my website name of 'allsomaliansaredishonest.com' ?

That seems to be the case. It also means they could remove the DNS mapping of hostname -> IP. So for example, if feminists gain too much power, this website could be effectively removed from the internet due to "misogyny". You would need a raw IP to access it.

The internet is a strategic asset. This is akin to removing the nuclear arsenal.

Obama is a traitorous scum bag.

This is something Trump should bring up as a disaster.

Goodbye free speech on the Internet. [Image: sad.gif]

A panel in Europe will decide who can have a voice and who is "dangerous" and "hateful." Fucking worse thing Obama has done/will do.

Quote: (08-19-2016 05:39 PM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

The internet is a strategic asset. This is akin to removing the nuclear arsenal.

Obama is a traitorous scum bag.

This is something Trump should bring up as a disaster.

What do you expect from a C student, who got into an elite score via playing the race card. He was an average guy who hustle his was into these jobs, the dude was raise by white people, and lived majority of his life in an Asian community (Hawaii).

Furthermore, he never really held a high level job, before being Senator. He seems to know how to get paid, and is a totally inept leader.

The dude doesn't even know economics probably, why? He is a history major

If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of.
– Bruce Lee

One must give value, but one must profit from it too, life is about balance

Quote: (08-19-2016 04:49 PM)redonion Wrote:  

Quote: (08-19-2016 04:44 PM)spokepoker Wrote:  

That seems to be the case. It also means they could remove the DNS mapping of hostname -> IP. So for example, if feminists gain too much power, this website could be effectively removed from the internet due to "misogyny". You would need a raw IP to access it.

Yes exactly.
There are far worse things that can be done.
The theoretically could push "us" underground.
Like the darkweb accessible by only using Tor...and even that is not as anonymous as we are lead to believe.
There would be almost no way to spread the thoughts and ideas in our corner of the internet. You'd already have to know how to find the site to see it.
Potentially they could erase or prevent certain ideas from even being seen in the internet.

For example, in the normal internet finding kiddie stuff is extremely difficult and probably a trap by the FBI if you search through google. On the dark web it's available if you want to find it.
Now, how many people have even heard of the darkweb before all the exposure of Silk Road being taken down and the feds arresting Ross Ulbricht last year.
And to make things worse most people regular people think everything on the darkweb is illegal.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/an-internet-...1472421165

When the Obama administration announced its plan to give up U.S. protection of the internet, it promised the United Nations would never take control. But because of the administration’s naiveté or arrogance, U.N. control is the likely result if the U.S. gives up internet stewardship as planned at midnight on Sept. 30.

On Friday Americans for Limited Government received a response to its Freedom of Information Act request for “all records relating to legal and policy analysis . . . concerning antitrust issues for the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers” if the U.S. gives up oversight. The administration replied it had “conducted a thorough search for responsive records within its possession and control and found no records responsive to your request.”

It’s shocking the administration admits it has no plan for how Icann retains its antitrust exemption. The reason Icann can operate the entire World Wide Web root zone is that it has the status of a legal monopolist, stemming from its contract with the Commerce Department that makes Icann an “instrumentality” of government.

Antitrust rules don’t apply to governments or organizations operating under government control. In a 1999 case, the Second U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the monopoly on internet domains because the Commerce Department had set “explicit terms” of the contract relating to the “government’s policies regarding the proper administration” of the domain system.

Without the U.S. contract, Icann would seek to be overseen by another governmental group so as to keep its antitrust exemption. Authoritarian regimes have already proposed Icann become part of the U.N. to make it easier for them to censor the internet globally. So much for the Obama pledge that the U.S. would never be replaced by a “government-led or an inter-governmental organization solution.”

Rick Manning, president of Americans for Limited Government, called it “simply stunning” that the “politically blinded Obama administration missed the obvious point that Icann loses its antitrust shield should the government relinquish control.”

The administration might not have considered the antitrust issue, which would have been naive. Or perhaps in its arrogance the administration knew all along Icann would lose its antitrust immunity and look to the U.N. as an alternative. Congress could have voted to give Icann an antitrust exemption, but the internet giveaway plan is too flawed for legislative approval.

As the administration spent the past two years preparing to give up the contract with Icann, it also stopped actively overseeing the group. That allowed Icann to abuse its monopoly over internet domains, which earns it hundreds of millions of dollars a year.

Earlier this month, an independent review within Icann called the organization “simply not credible” in how it handled the application for the .inc, .llc and .llp domains. The independent review found Icann staffers were “intimately involved” in evaluating their own work. A company called Dot Registry had worked with officials of U.S. states to create a system ensuring anyone using these Web addresses was a legitimate registered company. Icann rejected Dot Registry’s application as a community, which would have resulted in lowered fees to Icann.

Delaware’s secretary of state objected: “Legitimate policy concerns have been systematically brushed to the curb by Icann staffers well-skilled at manufacturing bureaucratic processes to disguise pre-determined decisions.” Dot Registry’s lawyer, Arif Ali of the Dechert firm, told me last week his experience made clear “Icann is not ready to govern itself.”

Icann also refuses to award the .gay domain to community groups representing gay people around the world. Icann’s ombudsman recently urged his group to “put an end to this long and difficult issue” by granting the domain. Icann prefers to earn larger fees by putting the .gay domain up for auction among for-profit domain companies.

And Icann rejects the community application for the .cpa domain made by the American Institute of CPAs, which along with other accounting groups argues consumers should expect the .cpa address only to be used by legitimate accountants, not by the highest bidder. An AICPA spokesman told me he has a pile of paperwork three feet high on the five-year quest for the .cpa domain. The professional group objected in a recent appeal: “The process seems skewed toward a financial outcome that benefits Icann itself.”

The only thing worse than a monopoly overseen by the U.S. government is a monopoly overseen by no one—or by a Web-censoring U.N. Congress still has time to extend its ban on the Obama administration giving up protection of the internet. Icann has given it every reason to do so.

I really hope Trump makes this an issue.

Contributor at Return of Kings.  I got banned from twatter, which is run by little bitches and weaklings. You can follow me on Gab.

Be sure to check out the easiest mining program around, FreedomXMR.

Quote: (08-28-2016 10:48 PM)Samseau Wrote:  

http://www.wsj.com/articles/an-internet-...1472421165

When the Obama administration announced its plan to give up U.S. protection of the internet, it promised the United Nations would never take control. But because of the administration’s naiveté or arrogance,

The only thing worse than a monopoly overseen by the U.S. government is a monopoly overseen by no one—or by a Web-censoring U.N. Congress still has time to extend its ban on the Obama administration giving up protection of the internet. Icann has given it every reason to do so.

I really hope Trump makes this an issue.

Obama is a history major, what do you expect, he probably didn't even read the memo, ICAHN was probably too boring to deal with, he probably thought it was for nerds.

The dude probably never took a business or an Econ class in his life, he probably felt those courses were for losers.

The fool doesn't even recognize what black lives matters is about. He probably thinks BLM movement is about civil rights, its more about violence.

If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of.
– Bruce Lee

One must give value, but one must profit from it too, life is about balance

You need to realize that the United States of America is the ONLY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD which has freedom of speech and press. They have laws prohibiting the prosecution of even things labeled as hate speech.

It is almost guaranteed that ICANN will deny domain name registrations to for example RVF on grounds of them being listed as a hate group on SLPC. Websites such as wordpress.com will be required to police blogs for hate or risk having their domain pulled.

It needs to be in the USA because the USA is the only country with militant free speech laws and culture. Having ICANN slip out of the USA will be an absolutely crushing blow to the free internet.

If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It's the only good fight there is.

Disable "Click here to Continue"

My Testosterone Adventure: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V

if it happened to you it’s your fault, I got no sympathy and I don’t believe your version of events.

Thanks Obama!

The GOPe is the Vichy French regime. They are welcoming in their new masters. They are feeding the crocodile in the hopes that it will eat them last.

Pat Caddell Calls Out ‘Stupidity of Republicans’ in Internet Takeover Debate: ‘It’s Another Sign of America Selling Out’

Pollster and political analyst Pat Caddell spoke with Breitbart News Daily SiriusXM host Alex Marlow on Wednesday, discussing the state of the presidential race, as well as the looming United Nations’ “Internet takeover” being discussed in Congress, as Breitbart News reported.

Breitbart News highlighted:

Donald J. Trump, the Republican nominee for president, has sided with the sovereignty of the American people against international elites yet again by coming out in public opposition to President Barack Obama’s internet giveaway to a United Nations globalist body.

Caddell said, “We polled on this weeks ago, and it is overwhelming. The people who knew about it were against it because they mean it is another sign of America selling out. I just do not understand the stupidity of Republicans, frankly.”

“They do not understand the issues that they have that we are showing in our polling, like on Iran – that they’re cheating, or already cheating. Why this is not like the Internet – a giveaway, going at Obama on those things,” he pondered, before adding:

These are major questions. Voters should be animated, and it is just frustrating beyond belief to me that it has not come up yet, and they, apparently, the leadership of the Republican Party, caved in on that, again. But the Democrats want to do that. Why aren’t the Republicans making that an issue?

Because they're cucks.

"If we took away women's right to vote, we'd never have to worry about another Democrat president."

- Ann Coulter

Team ∞D Chess

What is the status of this? Is it close to going through? What can we do to stop it?

Quote: (09-28-2016 01:31 PM)Enigma Wrote:  

What is the status of this? Is it close to going through? What can we do to stop it?

Go Galt. Build a new internet. Seriously, I think that is what will end up happening. Then they will ruin the old internet and beg to join the new one. I will put forward a motion right now to say no.

"If we took away women's right to vote, we'd never have to worry about another Democrat president."

- Ann Coulter

Team ∞D Chess

Worst case scenario and this does go ahead we still can never be censored.

Namecoin is a viable alternative to ICANN for decentralised DNS. Or we might have to move to darknets with Tor onions, I2P, Freenet etc. Or something as simple as torrents or as complex as the InterPlanetary File System.

Truth can never be censored in this day and age.

But it can be made much harder to find.

I'm an European and I think Obama relinquishing the US's control of the internet is not only treason but will severely harm not just the US but the rest of the world as well. His race antics, his feminist empowering bullshit, his muslim sympathies and this, Obama is scum and should be put on trial for engaging in treason against the US and the west.

This - Think about now, when you're telling others that get their news only from MSM and you tell them what you hear from Alternative Media. Most times, people are not going to take you seriously or conspiracy theorist. If you think that is bad, wait till you get a load of what's to come when a globalist cabal gets their hand on the internet...

Quote: (09-28-2016 03:18 PM)Teutatis Wrote:  

I'm an European and I think Obama relinquishing the US's control of the internet is not only treason but will severely harm not just the US but the rest of the world as well. His race antics, his feminist empowering bullshit, his muslim sympathies and this, Obama is scum and should be put on trial for engaging in treason against the US and the west.

Quote: (09-28-2016 03:18 PM)Teutatis Wrote:  

But not impossible.

- Ann Coulter

Team ∞D Chess

[Image: Cs9hS-bWYAE1gq-.jpg]

Contributor at Return of Kings.  I got banned from twatter, which is run by little bitches and weaklings. You can follow me on Gab.

Be sure to check out the easiest mining program around, FreedomXMR.

Quote: (09-28-2016 01:50 PM)Ghost Tiger Wrote:  

Go Galt. Build a new internet. Seriously, I think that is what will end up happening. Then they will ruin the old internet and beg to join the new one. I will put forward a motion right now to say no.

I'm on it - been working on plans for this for a bit, but accelerating it now.

Quote: (09-28-2016 08:22 PM)netguy68 Wrote:  

Quote: (09-28-2016 01:50 PM)Ghost Tiger Wrote:  

I'm on it - been working on plans for this for a bit, but accelerating it now.

Go hard Gilfoyle.

- Ann Coulter

Team ∞D Chess

The day sites like this go dark I think a line is going to be crossed whereafter people go from complaining about the globalists to actually disposing of them.

The public will judge a man by what he lifts, but those close to him will judge him by what he carries.