rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The new browser from Mozilla's shitlording former CEO

[Image: brave_browser_logo.jpg]

If you recall, Mozilla's former CEO was forced to resign a couple years ago when it was discovered that he supported anti-gay marriage legislation in California.

Well, now he's got his own browser out, called Brave.

The browser has built-in ad and tracker blocking, which not only enhances privacy but makes web browsing way faster.

I'd actually been using it for the past couple weeks without knowing who started it, and it's definitely very smooth. It's still in the early stages in terms of features, but supposedly it's already faster than Chrome, Firefox, and IE.

You can find out more here: https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/01/brave-...5-million/

And you can download here: https://www.brave.com/

Semi dupe... Somewhere

I recommend TOR + VPN but Brave with disconnect is a good start

I'm one of the luckiest man alive, nothing in my life has been easy...

I'm not talking about privacy, I'm talking about speed. Tor is slow as shit, especially when you're behind a VPN. If you're doing something that's particularly secretive, that's great, but when I'm just researching things online, I don't have time to waste with that.

Also, the anti-SJW angle is a good one.

Instantly attracted to the logo, name, attitude and story behind creator - I am going to try it out.

I was supremely disappointed by Brendan's firing. MikeCF shared Brave on Twitter a few months ago, and I've been using it on mobile since.

Overall great experience, highly recommend. I'll be checking out the desktop version soon.

This is how the war is won.

Thanks for the heads up, will check it out.

In the long term, they plan on making you pay a monthly subscription for using Brave.

Unless you allow Brave to show ads. In which case you allegedly share 'anonymous' info about yourself and then you get to see targeted ads specifically designed not to slow down your internet browsing.

So they want you either to pay with money or pay with your data. Their long term plan is not to provide ad-free internet, rather they are trying to build up their own alternative ad infrastructure.

Their long term diabolical plan to make you pay for using a web browser is detailed here:
https://blog.brave.com/braves-payment-sp...per-input/

Quote: (08-02-2016 08:33 AM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

In the long term, they plan on making you pay a monthly subscription for using Brave.

Unless you allow Brave to show ads. In which case you allegedly share 'anonymous' info about yourself and then you get to see targeted ads specifically designed not to slow down your internet browsing.

So they want you either to pay with money or pay with your data. Their long term plan is not to provide ad-free internet, rather they are trying to build up their own alternative ad infrastructure.

Their long term diabolical plan to make you pay for using a web browser is detailed here:

And this is why I prefer my software open-source. I was just raving about the browser to a buddy of mine of Skype.

Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

Maine and Canadian lobsters are the same animal. Prove me wrong.

Quote: (08-02-2016 08:33 AM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

I'm not an expert on the subject by any means, but the post you just linked to claims they will pay YOU, the user, when you allow it to show ads. And the ads you see will be "replacement ads".

You only pay if you want to see no ads whatsoever.

"For ad-replacement mode, once an ad campaign is reconciled and our advertising partners pay us, the total views from the ad-replacement users are aggregated into a weighted list for publishers. From the total payment, our ad-matching partner takes a share (15%), we take our share (15%), we reserve the user revenue share of the total payment (15%) for ad-replacement users, and the remaining amount is allocated to the publishers (e.g., 55%). The payment to each publisher is then calculated using the weighted-ratio method. In order to enhance privacy, the payment to each ad-replacement user is calculated independently of the actual ad impressions served to that user – Brave Software does not keep track of which users were served which impressions.

So, what happens when you're in ad-replacement mode? The Brave Ledger makes a transfer of the user revenue share to your Brave wallet! You have two choices: you can "donate" the funds to your favorite sites (this is the automated default); or you can transfer the funds to another Bitcoin wallet and spend them yourself. However, in order to take money out of the system, Anti-money laundering (AML) and Know your customer (KYC) regulations require that Brave Software verifies your identity. If you choose to verify your identity, then you'll need to demonstrate control of a phone number and an email address. Even so, there will be no way for Brave Software to correlate your browsing history with payments to your wallet."

Quote: (08-02-2016 08:39 AM)Il Bersagliere Wrote:  

And this is why I prefer my software open-source. I was just raving about the browser to a buddy of mine of Skype.

Brave is open source, as far as I know. That's what it says on their website and that's what it's been reported as.

What are the technical specs on this browser?

What's the javascript engine based on?

Genuinely curious, I'd like to stop using Chrome.

nope, shitty.

Ad blocking is something I'd consider paying for. It's surprising how much faster pages can load when they aren't drowned in ads. Nothing in life is free.

This is the clincher for me right here, and for plenty of other people:

"Because of its ad-blocking and script-blocking features, mobile users will also see less battery consumption and data usage."

[Image: 10yje.gif]

Tried it out yesterday - it's great.

Vice-Captain - #TeamWaitAndSee

Quote: (08-02-2016 08:39 AM)Il Bersagliere Wrote:  

Turns out that other people want to get paid for their work too...

There's no such thing as a free lunch. Open-source software suffers from something called "being a steaming pile of crap". Take any open-source software and compare it to it's best paid competitor and it can only hope to be 10% as good. When you pay, everything just works, everything works good and in ways you've never imagined it could. Just take a look at [shudder] Gimp versus Photoshop.

The only time apparently free software is free is where you can't see how you're being monetized. Either you're free guinea pigs and word-spreaders for the developers who then collect big consulting fees from corporate customers who want installation/customization/support etc (this forum software is an example). Or in the case of Mozilla and its "google is the default search engine" contract with Google, from which they get most of their money -- and in turn Google gets another pillar of search engine hegemony.

Damn thing keeps logging me out of the forum every two minutes...

“As long as you are going to be thinking anyway, think big.” - Donald J. Trump

"I don't get all the women I want, I get all the women who want me." - David Lee Roth

I have used Epic Browser https://www.epicbrowser.com/ in the past. It is based on Chromium and seems to be in constant beta. Plus whatever proxy they go through to hide you (???) isn't the greatest.

I have been waiting for Brave to mature and it seems a version 1.0 is coming out soon.

Quote: (08-03-2016 06:36 AM)Phoenix Wrote:  

Turns out that other people want to get paid for their work too...

There's no such thing as a free lunch. Open-source software suffers from something called "being a steaming pile of crap". Take any open-source software and compare it to it's best paid competitor and it can only hope to be 10% as good. When you pay, everything just works, everything works good and in ways you've never imagined it could. Just take a look at [shudder] Gimp versus Photoshop.

I have a differing perspective.

Open Source allows everyone to code review and test the code. You don't need to have it be free to be Open Source. Yes, there is no such thing as a free lunch and software needs to be monetized for value of work. But Open Source does not translate into "free".

Any paid competitor can also suffer from "being a steaming pile of crap". Often times they suffer from "hotsjwceoputsonshortskirtandgoesintoboardroomtobegformoney" such as Theranos.

I don't see the benefit over Firefox with this. Free extensions for ad blocking like uBlock Origin and tracking protection via Disconnect or Privacy Badger already exist.

Brave's main selling point is built-in ad and tracker blocking, but they themselves have admitted they're not going permanently block ads, they're merely going to swap existing ads for their own ad network. No thanks, I'll stick to blocking them all thank you.

Quote: (08-03-2016 05:54 AM)WalkingMan Wrote:  

Ad blocking is something I'd consider paying for. It's surprising how much faster pages can load when they aren't drowned in ads. Nothing in life is free.

Breitbart doesn't make a dime off me.

Not because I don't want them to make an income, but rather they have so many fucking ads on their site it barely loads at times.

In fact Breitbart is the reason I finally installed adblock.

Quote: (08-03-2016 07:32 AM)ivansirko Wrote:  

But Open Source does not translate into "free".

In what way?

I've been using Brave on Ubuntu. Not really exciting and a little bit buggy.

It is a lightweight application and relatively fast compared to Chrome and significantly faster than Firefox.

In the build I have, the pages flicker when you have multiple tabs open. Never had that issue with that and with my sensitive eyes, it's a no-go.

It's decent, but has a few quirks and could benefit from a tune-up with some of the catch-all features in Chrome/FF (plug-ins, proxy support, etc.). I under stand it's still under development, but I'll be keeping up with it.

Maine and Canadian lobsters are the same animal. Prove me wrong.

Tried it last month on my phone. It seems slower than Safari.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

Quote:Quote:

However, in order to take money out of the system, Anti-money laundering (AML) and Know your customer (KYC) regulations require that Brave Software verifies your identity.
Yeah, because I'm gonna fund terrorist receiving cents a day.

I'd rather fund the website that puts some effort to create content I like.

Easiest way to infect computers is thru malicious ads. Ad blocking software is the first software I install in my computer. If I use somebody else browser, I install it too.

This looks pretty damn cool. Thanks for posting.