rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Materials Engineer Needed

My buddy and I have an idea and business plan for a product in the hiking industry that needs an engineer to develop and execute. I've had no luck on Google or in real life trying to find someone to develop the technical side of our concept. We need someone who is an expert in materials to develop our product, or to tell us that it isn't feasible.

I hate soliciting on RVF but I can't find someone in my market with expertise on materials. If one of you guys have knowledge on this subject, I'd love to know. The development of the product is location independent.

I need a guy who can develop a finished product out of raw materials. It could become big. We're essentially creating a new fabric.

Unfortunately I'm still a student (final year) so I probably don't have the expertise you're looking for. My branch of materials engineering is more towards metals and ceramics, this seems more like a synthetic textile?

Sounds interesting. I'll keep my ears open when I head back to university if there's someone in the field that could be of use to you.

There aren't too many materials engineers around so good luck with your search. If there are any lurking this forum, feel free to send me a PM

How complex is it? What is the product?

Go hit up Elance.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks for the replies so far and the couple guys that hit me up over PM.

We're still on the fence of whether or not it's feasible, but I got some really great advice through PMs.

Quote: (07-27-2016 01:11 AM)wi30 Wrote:  

I need a guy who can develop a finished product out of raw materials. It could become big. We're essentially creating a new fabric.

This seems too big to outsource.

What's the goal, a new fabric made out of recycled material? A product made out of a specific material?

I may be able to put you in touch with some folk. PM me

My off-hand advice would be to approach a local materials engineering university department with DNC/ND agreements in hand and a figure in-mind.

Perhaps try to first approach students directly as professors might be bigger dicks about payment and other such details. That being said, a professor who oversees what you need will probably be more thorough and assure that whoever is working on your project covers everything that is pertinent; especially if they see it as learning experience for the students.

If approaching students doesn't work or you opt out of it, approach a professor during office hours, tell him what you want, and ask if any faculty or students might be interested in helping. Let them suggest the price. The price should definitely be discounted from professional prices, so maybe have an idea of the market price for such consultancy going in. You can always counter-offer on price.

For cost, I'd be thinking anywhere from pizza and soda for a student group session to a few hundred dollars for a one-on-one consultant who is going to essentially offer you what a full-service professional would but who perhaps just isn't licensed yet (though, that price is a guess - I have no reference point for the cost of these services). Also, be ready to ask and negotiate on differing services: feasibility analysis, design consulting, etc

Through a google search, find out at what point in their education they get licensed. Aim for students who are just shy of that license, by perhaps one year or less. But also take what you can get, especially if a professor will somewhat supervise what you get for your money.

Last, don't say anything overly-specific about the product until you have the DNC/ND papers signed.

This strategy is sort of like the technology equivalent of getting a cheap haircut at the barber college. The result might not be exactly what you would get at a professional firm, but for the price it may likely be good enough.

All great advice. I think the best route would be partnering with a guy who could develop it.

I come from a marketing/management/distribution background and my buddy works in IT and software. Splitting it three ways would be a win/win/win and all bases would be covered.

Quote: (07-29-2016 12:02 AM)wi30 Wrote:  

I come from a marketing/management/distribution background and my buddy works in IT and software. Splitting it three ways would be a win/win/win and all bases would be covered.

If this would be your first partnership, I'd only have this perspective to add:

Partnerships sometimes seem like an easy way to boot-strap resources and knowledge, but they are far more of a liability than they are almost always worth.

In my opinion, partners are the single largest risk factor for a new business with an otherwise viable idea, and the more partners the bigger the risk. Even one partner drastically raises the risk of implosion/failure and is undesirable. I'd do everything in my power to avoid a partnership, and would only agree to one after he was vetted for personality, background, and home-life stability.

If you partner with married guys or guys to be married, you have to realize that you are actually also partnering with their wives who will have a lot of power to tear the whole thing down; if not by a direct stake should a divorce happen but also by their influence over their husbands. A marriage is a legal partnership between two people, and you are considering partnering with a person in that other partnership.

Two partners, in my mind, is almost a non-starter. I'd think long and hard about bringing on another person, and avoid it at all costs even if it means putting off the project until you can acquire the resources that he would bring to the table without having to add another partner. If you really think that your idea is solid, which is the only reason you should pursue it, then make sure to eliminate such wildcard risk factors.

And, just so I'm not misinterpreted, I don't think that even a good-on-paper partner is worth the risk. It would be an option of absolute last resort.