rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How to find a tribe?

How to find a tribe?

I'm listening to Roosh's Q&A video on YouTube right now.

I strongly agree with his assertion that it is crucial for a man to be part of a tribe. I just don't know how. I'm an old man with no family and my life is full of isolation. I'm not a hermit, I get out to various events and classes, but I'm always an outsider. If the SHTF, I'm screwed, even with the skills and resources I have to offer. If something bad happens to me personally, nobody cares. No matter what, I have to deal with it completely on my own.

So, everything I have tried has failed and I am out of ideas. Suggestions?

How to find a tribe?

IMO, you have to step outside your comfort zone, reach out to people and build your social circle. You ever have someone call you out of the blue to talk and see what you've been up to and you thought to yourself, this dude must be weird or something, but over time he turns out okay? Well, you need to be that guy. Yes, you may come off weird asking for someones number, messaging them or checking in with them (because as a society, we've been conditioned that way these days), but its absolutely necessary to forge bonds.

How to find a tribe?

I'm in the same boat really. There is no easy way AFAIK apart from joining male oriented activities or moving to remote places where community counts for something. At least in the US you have the second amendment.

Poster above nails it as well.

How to find a tribe?

Quote: (07-18-2016 12:28 PM)DimeBait Wrote:  

IMO, you have to step outside your comfort zone, reach out to people and build your social circle. You ever have someone call you out of the blue to talk and see what you've been up to and you thought to yourself, this dude must be weird or something, but over time he turns out okay? Well, you need to be that guy. Yes, you may come off weird asking for someones number, messaging them or checking in with them (because as a society, we've been conditioned that way these days), but its absolutely necessary to forge bonds.

I do step outside my comfort zone. I spent months learning enough to earn a Rifleman patch from the Appleseed Project. Even though I am a computer guy I have taken three classes on political activism and I am taking another class this coming weekend. I was a delegate to the state Republican convention, something I have never done before. In the past few days I have been to two campaign rallies for local candidates.

All of this is in addition to attending up to a dozen technical Meetups a month. I push myself a lot.

How to find a tribe?

^^ That's a great start! Sounds like myself when I moved to a new city. It will happen, keep exposing yourself to social activities. I would also host dinner party's and invite a select group of folks. We forged a bond and have been tight ever since.

How to find a tribe?

One thing that might be right up your alley is HAM radio. Its a very welcoming community with regular meet ups and "HAM Fests", a valuable and necessary skill, and it is easy and cheap to get into. A comms guy will be VERY desirable in any number of SHTF scenarios, with your computer background it would be very easy for you to pick up. I can put together a basic how to if you'd like.

Im younger but similar to you in that I have moved around my whole life and I don't have a tribe or roots anywhere. Id rather be something more than a hired gun if SHTF.

Few more suggestions:
-Crossfit
-Church
-Volunteer (volunteer FF/EMT get trained for free most times)

How to find a tribe?

Quote: (07-18-2016 01:45 PM)Adonis Wrote:  

One thing that might be right up your alley is HAM radio. Its a very welcoming community with regular meet ups and "HAM Fests", a valuable and necessary skill, and it is easy and cheap to get into. A comms guy will be VERY desirable in any number of SHTF scenarios, with your computer background it would be very easy for you to pick up. I can put together a basic how to if you'd like.

Im younger but similar to you in that I have moved around my whole life and I don't have a tribe or roots anywhere. Id rather be something more than a hired gun if SHTF.

Few more suggestions:
-Crossfit
-Church
-Volunteer (volunteer FF/EMT get trained for free most times)

-.-. --.-

I've been a ham for over 25 years. The local ham groups are full of antisocial old farts, including a lot of them who are younger than me. I've given up on that "community". Some of the resources and skills I mentioned above include ham radio.

Crossfit has been hit and miss. It's a franchise and the places nearest to me seem sketchy. And expensive. So, I have tried it and it hasn't worked.

Church? The last church I belonged to has become massively SJW and anti-male. I left after it became unbearable. I live in a miserably "liberal" city, so most churches around here suffer from that. Plus, there really isn't much acceptance for an old single man like me around here.

I am doing some volunteering for political campaigns, so I will see how it works out. As far as FF/EMT, I would have to volunteer a long way out in the sticks, the cities have their own professionals.

How to find a tribe?

Op what city or state or area are you?

How to find a tribe?

The formerly nice city to live in known as Austin. Now overrun with liberals, SJWs & feminists...

How to find a tribe?

How old are you?

How to find a tribe?

Quote: (07-19-2016 06:48 PM)hydrogonian Wrote:  

How old are you?

No insult intended, but I am probably older than your mother. I'm old and living in a city that is for young people. I was a young people when I moved here decades ago.

Bad things have happened in my life that have led to me losing most of the connections I used to have. I trusted people who I should not have trusted. Also, being someone who has never married and has no children, I'm out of place and not terribly welcome in social circles made up of couples and parents.

It bothers me that if I was to drop dead tonight, not only would nobody care, it would be months before anybody found my body, and that would be the poor schlub from the bank that holds my mortgage.

I do get out quite a bit, but nobody is interested in making real connections with an old man like me.

How to find a tribe?

Bring a young foreign wife from SEA or EE. Have some kids.

Quote: (07-20-2016 06:36 PM)chicane Wrote:  

Quote: (07-19-2016 06:48 PM)hydrogonian Wrote:  

How old are you?

No insult intended, but I am probably older than your mother. I'm old and living in a city that is for young people. I was a young people when I moved here decades ago.

Bad things have happened in my life that have led to me losing most of the connections I used to have. I trusted people who I should not have trusted. Also, being someone who has never married and has no children, I'm out of place and not terribly welcome in social circles made up of couples and parents.

It bothers me that if I was to drop dead tonight, not only would nobody care, it would be months before anybody found my body, and that would be the poor schlub from the bank that holds my mortgage.

I do get out quite a bit, but nobody is interested in making real connections with an old man like me.

How to find a tribe?

Quote: (07-20-2016 07:49 PM)almast Wrote:  

That would be a very foolish move. There would be a concerted effort by feminists to destroy such a marriage. As Roosh said "water takes the shape of the container it is in". Subjecting a woman to that sort of social abuse and group psychodrama would be unfair and unwise.

Instead, I'm working on how to move over there instead. Into a society that supports marriage and families.

How to find a tribe?

Find one that speaks little English. Keep her at home busy with kids. As to moving there, should you have a disagreement with her/her family, divorce court may not be their first choice if they decide to get rid of you.

Quote: (07-20-2016 08:06 PM)chicane Wrote:  

Quote: (07-20-2016 07:49 PM)almast Wrote:  

That would be a very foolish move. There would be a concerted effort by feminists to destroy such a marriage. As Roosh said "water takes the shape of the container it is in". Subjecting a woman to that sort of social abuse and group psychodrama would be unfair and unwise.

Instead, I'm working on how to move over there instead. Into a society that supports marriage and families.

How to find a tribe?

Making tribe at an older age is a bit like quitting the smokes once the cancer has set in.

The only way I could see it happening is by moving to a rural location and making a damn good effort to fit in.

edit: As an older guy your skillset is going to be the only serious asset you bring to the table. Anything you're particularly good at? Keep in mind that tribe isn't "friends", it's "people who will turn up with a shovel and a bag of lime".

The public will judge a man by what he lifts, but those close to him will judge him by what he carries.

How to find a tribe?

Quote: (07-20-2016 11:29 PM)Leonard D Neubache Wrote:  

Keep in mind that tribe isn't "friends", it's "people who will turn up with a shovel and a bag of lime".

A friend will help you move. A real friend will help you move a body.

Лучше поздно, чем никогда

...life begins at "70% Warning Level."....

How to find a tribe?

This is the exact same question I've been asking myself lately. But here's what I wonder, where are the good, potentially loyal men?

I'm in San Jose, and I've gone to the networking events but it seems like everyone is either too foreign to know context of american relationships or too autistic and angry from getting no pussy with deep stab-you-in-the-back beta tendencies.

I'm looking to create tribe but can't find anywhere with the raw material worth investing in and building up for the long haul.

I'm tempted to take my family and move away again to a new country, China maybe? (I've heard Beijing is the new Silicon Valley) or back to Latin America. (foreign wife from MX city)

Start businesses, start jobs, and create long-term social capital investment of like-minded, loyal and hard-working people.

How to find a tribe?

Have you tried engaging local Roosh V members? Making a thread on the Travel > Meetup page? You seem pretty dedicated to bettering yourself, if you had to go to say Dallas our Houston every now and then, I'm sure there's plenty of like minded individuals.

How to find a tribe?

Same problem here, although not as bad off as the OP. I find myself the "old guy" at every group meetup I attend. Sometimes I associate with people my age, but that's a great way to fall into the trap of commiserating and you don't want to go down that rabbit hole.
One of my problems is that its hard to find a group of any type which is open and red pill enough to be worth my time. For instance, I'm on a spiritual path these days. Most of the alternative spiritual groups are dominated by SJW's, fat women and people who smoke herb. I really don't want to deal with any of those three, but may have to grit my teeth and put up with them. Chaff tends to get blown away, I have noticed.
I spent 20 years dedicated to a martial art I can no longer compete in due to a medical issue. I never was a "contender", so it's not like I can be the Wise Old Man who shows the young bloods how to do it right. I used to despise the "has-been's" who would show up and talk about what they did in their day. Most of the time they were blowing smoke out of their ass.
So I continue the search. One group which appealed to me seems to be full of slackers. I can't stand organizations who talk big and do nothing. If the group doesn't meet once a week, I 'm not wasting my time on it.
I've been the bull in the china shop before and it never pays off. Several decades ago I was determined to be the savior of a small political movement. The old farts who ran it kicked me out rather than do anything that would have saved the organization. Lesson learned.

How to find a tribe?

Sounds like you are very social, but not good at creating bonds beyond your social activities.

Once the social event is over, you go your separate ways. You have to create gatherings and meetings beyond your social activities. It seems that your social activities are short term(classes, instructions, rallies) and once they are done, everyone goes their separate ways.

Adonis came up with a good suggestion, Volunteer FF sounds like a sustainable social group. You train together, work together and many go out drinking together.

How to find a tribe?

Get a boat and invite people on it. There is a cost to a social circle. Sadly, you will not get a social circle for free because you are not female. Once in the boat community everyone with a boat is your friend. Non boat owners will want to ride on your boat. Young girls will not mind stripping down to their bikinis in front of you.

I do not own a boat but I bought a huge floating island for this nearby lazy river. It is one of the biggest floats and most people just have tubes. I made a dozen connections from that just yesterday alone. People left their tubes and climbed into my island.

How to find a tribe?

Quote: (07-18-2016 02:05 PM)chicane Wrote:  

Crossfit has been hit and miss. It's a franchise and the places nearest to me seem sketchy. And expensive. So, I have tried it and it hasn't worked.

Martial arts. I wouldn't do Crossfit if I was old either because injuries are so common. A good BJJ school is probably be better for both having a community and not getting injured.

How to find a tribe?

There are all kinds of tribes, but the ones which will endure have a way to propagate themselves. Tribes which are based around "adults only" activities will die out unless they continually bring in new recruits. Teh gey is the best example of this and why they are active in the schools and culture.

How to find a tribe?

I am a bit of an introvert myself but I recognise the importance of having men to count on in times of crisis and it is something I consider vitally important in terms mental well-being. Some times it is luck where you meet a good fellow and when you do make sure you put yourself forward as a trustworthy friend and display your true inner self. What is the point of having a relationship with someone when you keep part of yourself secret in case of upsetting them for I.e. political opinions. All the best

How to find a tribe?

Rugby. Hands down, the single best thing.