rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Am I American?

Am I American?

I have dual citizenship -- USA + Spain (I am US born and raised and went to college in the US).

The question is: am I American? I find myself in the oddest of situations because I don't think anyone else experiences this. In Spain I am considered "americano" even though I speak 100% fluent Spanish and Catalan. I have been living in the country for over 10 years and people still consider me "el americano". But then, I am not sure if Americans (those born and raised and who do not live in Europe) would consider me "American". I've never asked but I'd be curious to read other opinions.

Am I American?

"A stripper last night brought up "Rich Dad Poor Dad" when I mentioned, "Think and Grow Rich""

Am I American?

There's only one way to answer that question with certainty:

who are you voting for in November?

Am I American?

If you accept American culture and embrace the ideas that made the country what it is today, then you are as American as anybody else. The old Vietnamese dude who speaks horrible English, just got his citizenship, and runs the convenience store is about as American as you can get. That's what makes the country great.

Am I American?

[Image: troll.gif]

Am I American?

Quote: (07-14-2016 10:49 AM)Daddy Chains Wrote:  

There's only one way to answer that question with certainty:

who are you voting for in November?

I won't say but can tell you it will definitely NOT be Hillary Clinton.

@Space Cowboy: I do but I wonder how I am perceived at times...because often when you live abroad for such a long time people start to change perceptions about you.

Am I American?

Quote: (07-14-2016 10:52 AM)Baldrich Wrote:  

@Space Cowboy: I do but I wonder how I am perceived at times...because often when you live abroad for such a long time people start to change perceptions about you.

Americans don't give a shit where you're from. They're all mixed up, ancestrally speaking, and a sizable chunk of Americans don't even have English as their first language.

Am I American?

You're a born and raised American who spent the last decade living somewhere else. Don't know why you would think you are Spanish or anything else, especially if you are white.

Am I American?

Traditionally, Europeans are parochial and go by your birthplace:

If you were born in the U.S. and lived there for one day, and lived the next 50 years in Europe, they still consider you American.

If you were born in Europe and lived there one day, and lived the next 50 years in the U.S., they still consider you European.

Am I American?

Quote: (07-14-2016 11:00 AM)General Stalin Wrote:  

You're a born and raised American who spent the last decade living somewhere else. Don't know why you would think you are Spanish or anything else, especially if you are white.

I'm white skinned yes...the reason I sometimes say I am Spanish or Catalan is because my parents (BOTH) are from Spain. But Spanish people most definitely do not see me as Spanish.

Am I American?

Quote: (07-14-2016 11:02 AM)Daddy Chains Wrote:  

Traditionally, Europeans are parochial and go by your birthplace:

If you were born in the U.S. and lived there for one day, and lived the next 50 years in Europe, they still consider you American.

If you were born in Europe and lived there one day, and lived the next 50 years in the U.S., they still consider you European.

Very true! They always go by your birthplace here...except Brits...which are much more similar to Americans and go more by ethnic background, etc.

Am I American?

Quote: (07-14-2016 10:54 AM)Space Cowboy Wrote:  

Quote: (07-14-2016 10:52 AM)Baldrich Wrote:  

Americans don't give a shit where you're from. They're all mixed up, ancestrally speaking, and a sizable chunk of Americans don't even have English as their first language.

Those Americans who don't speak English as their first language...do they feel American or more from their country of origin?

Am I American?

Quote: (07-14-2016 11:06 AM)Baldrich Wrote:  

Those Americans who don't speak English as their first language...do they feel American or more from their country of origin?

Hopefully American. If they feel differently, they're free to fuck back to the shithole whence they came. America is one of the only countries here anybody can become an American, but it's on the condition that you embrace being an American.

Am I American?

If you truly believe you were American, you'd be proud to say you were American, unless you are having American guilt... There's plenty of that going around.
If you feel like a Spaniard, own it!
Do you feel like an outcast because people in Spain don't see you as one of their own?

I my self don't know if I'm a Texan or American first.

Am I American?

When I was in Japan(and most Asian countries) while the stereotype of Americans being only white or black is mostly gone, there will still be that random "I don't believe you" when Asian Americans say they are American. In parts of Asia, your ancestors' homeland still very much determines what they see you as and not where you're born. For me personally, I don't care too much what people call me, as long as they don't deliberately go out of their way to make your life harder, I don't see how it matters too much.

Am I American?

@Baldrich:

I believe so. You should go to a citizenship ceremony where people become U.S citizens. I would see women and men jump with joy with their little U.S. flags and American pins. They probably know more about the U.S. constitution and history than the average mative born American. These are things we take for granted.

The way I see it is that if you embrace America and love America then you're an American to me regardless of race.

Welcome aboard OP.

Am I American?

Quote: (07-14-2016 10:43 AM)Baldrich Wrote:  

I have dual citizenship -- USA + Spain (I am US born and raised and went to college in the US).

The question is: am I American? I find myself in the oddest of situations because I don't think anyone else experiences this. In Spain I am considered "americano" even though I speak 100% fluent Spanish and Catalan. I have been living in the country for over 10 years and people still consider me "el americano". But then, I am not sure if Americans (those born and raised and who do not live in Europe) would consider me "American". I've never asked but I'd be curious to read other opinions.

You're the Spanish-American johnbozzz.

“Nothing is more useful than to look upon the world as it really is.”

Am I American?

Quote: (07-14-2016 11:28 AM)Brown Pride Wrote:  

You should go to a citizenship ceremony where people become U.S citizens. I would see women and men jump with joy with their little U.S. flags and American pins.

They are in for a rude awakening when they move back to Somalia, and still have to pay U.S. taxes for the rest of their lives.

Am I American?

You've got it backwards. Of course you can consider yourself American.

Quote: (07-14-2016 10:43 AM)Baldrich Wrote:  

I find myself in the oddest of situations because I don't think anyone else experiences this. In Spain I am considered "americano" even though I speak 100% fluent Spanish and Catalan. I have been living in the country for over 10 years and people still consider me "el americano".

This is very common in Spain, wherever the person moves to. I wouldn't let it bother you. Somehow it's something to look down upon that you or your family moved to a place with better opportunities and standard of living? Very common of course during the 1930s-1970s. Lately it's been happening again with the crisis, especially young people emigrating nowadays.

They have Christmas trees and Halloween now in Spain, all thanks to America's influence. Don't take it the wrong way when they call you americano, if anything embrace it. If they are saying it in a negative way: agree and amplify

You speak three languages and have a more diverse life experience. You can appreciate the good things of each of those cultures and share them with others. Sounds great to me.

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.

A true friend is the most precious of all possessions and the one we take the least thought about acquiring.

Am I American?

Most Americans would probably mistake you for Puerto Rican, which despite being part of the US for over a century, they wouldn't consider to be "American".

Am I American?

Before it became cool to be different (meaning American nationality progressively got diminished by globalists breaking down our culture and letting 3rd worlders in who are more tribal), everyone knew they were "American."

Now, because of the anti-American bias and cultural change, children of 1st generation immigrants are confused. He's just another one of them.

Of course he's American.

A black person in the States (a descendant of the slave trade) is an AMERICAN, there's nothing African about him. Using that term is as stupid as any other - (dash).

Admitting it is just being mature about reality.

Am I American?

Quote: (07-14-2016 11:17 AM)Dons D Wrote:  

If you truly believe you were American, you'd be proud to say you were American, unless you are having American guilt... There's plenty of that going around.
If you feel like a Spaniard, own it!
Do you feel like an outcast because people in Spain don't see you as one of their own?

I my self don't know if I'm a Texan or American first.

No, in my case it's not guilt. It's just that I really was genuinely curious as to how "born and raised" Americans see me versus Spaniards who do NOT see me as "their own". I don't feel like an outcast in the negative sense since being from a country like the US is actually something positive in Spain. The people seem to love it and find you more interesting.

Am I American?

Quote: (07-14-2016 01:01 PM)Mikan Wrote:  

Most Americans would probably mistake you for Puerto Rican, which despite being part of the US for over a century, they wouldn't consider to be "American".

Really? Why? I've never been mistaken for a Puerto Rican. In fact in the USA Spanish-speakers do not see me as a Spanish speaker since I don't "look" like "stereotypically" Latin at all.

Am I American?

^

You're one of us, my man.

(-:

Am I American?

Quote: (07-14-2016 02:18 PM)Kid Twist Wrote:  

Before it became cool to be different (meaning American nationality progressively got diminished by globalists breaking down our culture and letting 3rd worlders in who are more tribal), everyone knew they were "American."

Now, because of the anti-American bias and cultural change, children of 1st generation immigrants are confused. He's just another one of them.

Of course he's American.

A black person in the States (a descendant of the slave trade) is an AMERICAN, there's nothing African about him. Using that term is as stupid as any other - (dash).

Admitting it is just being mature about reality.

Interesting. I agree with you on this...we have been taught to hyphenate our identities. In Europe it doesn't happen as often. For Europeans, if you were born and raised in the US, you are "American" no matter if you even speak their own languages like a "native".