rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How to get a tech job for a company that isn't so gynocentric?

I'm a fresh grad and I've been looking for jobs in quantitative finance and data science. In the last company I worked for that dealt with data, it just seemed so overly gynocentric and catered towards youngsters who still think like high schoolers. During orientation, we had to tell everyone things like our favorite disney movie, what movies and TV shows we've seen recently, how our high school prom went, talk about our facebook and instagram, and listen to pop songs played out loud in the office. I felt like the oddball because even though I'm also young, I'm not into modern pop culture as I can't stand the gynocentrism in movies these days, I haven't watched TV in years, I rarely use facebook, etc.

I just want to work somewhere where I put in my 40 hours/week and then can go home and have my own social life and do what I want, as opposed to broadcasting all of this to my coworkers and doing things like going to happy hours or shooting nerf guns with other manginas. Unlike most other fresh grads, I do not want to work at Facebook because of their culture. I was thinking I may fit in better at a larger company as opposed to startups. I do not find working at a table in an open-space where my coworkers can see everything I do on my computer appealing. I like some amount of privacy.

Anyone know which types of companies are best suited for red-pill guys like us? Would working in finance be better than tech companies and startups?

Finance is pretty good. Tech has a very PC reputation.

The stereotype of finance is Patrick Bateman...but reality is much more tame. You still have some diversity initiatives, monitoring of trading floors, etc. You can't act stupid in the office and certainly not within regular business hours. It's a bit more relaxed later in the evenings. Hence the "would I be able to sit next to them in an airplane test."

Off the clock can be different if you hang with your co-workers. But choose carefully. Skirt around non-PC subjects.

Back office people (ie not markets or deals) vary much more, from younger guys hustling for a career to older women who want to yap about their kids for 20 minutes before starting a meeting. Big bank = big bureaucracy, which = politics to get anything done. You have to to roll with it.

What it really sounds like is that you're looking for INTENSITY. Look for long hours and stressful positions. The people will be much more results oriented. Less women, and the guys will have more testosterone.

My advice to you is that you need to learn how to socialize, or at least ACT social if it doesn't come naturally. Unless you're a quant trader, programmer, or someone else who doesn't need to deal with other people at ALL (and even then it's still useful), you need to at least blend in when it comes to socializing. Otherwise this will limit your career progression, you might lose out on jobs and promotions. You won't be promoted to manager or a client facing position with responsibility without it. Take heed.

Next time, go with the flow. Be comfortable answering silly questions. Agree and amplify. Someone says their favorite musician is Justin Bieber? "Oh, I still jam out to the Spice Girls on the treadmill." Sounds like you're uptight. I've been there. Work on this.

Pay attention to having a superiority complex. You can probably learn something even from those "manginas", even if it's only something work related. Make them feel like the special snowflakes that they see themselves to be. Go out for drinks for a bit, make a few people smile, then take off early for a polite reason.

Just like with girls, you need to learn certain behaviors to succeed in the office. The best gamesmen let people see themselves as they want to be seen...i.e. in a flattering light.

Look up Wall Street Playboys blog and find Cobra's data sheets here.

Data Sheet Maps | On Musical Chicks | Rep Point Changes | Au Pairs on a Boat
Captainstabbin: "girls get more attractive with your dick in their mouth. It's science."
Spaniard88: "The "believe anything" crew contributes: "She's probably a good girl, maybe she lost her virginity to someone with AIDS and only had sex once before you met her...give her a chance.""

"where I put in my 40 hours/week

In tech?
In finance?
In anything lucrative?
In 2016?

[Image: laugh5.gif]

Quote: (07-08-2016 11:22 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

In 2016?

aka "The Current Year" [Image: banana.gif]

work for yourself

Basically look for smaller companies.
Companies of under 50 people usually struggle and have less time for the PC crap.

My advice: Prioritise your needs.
Once you do that you can find companies who fit better to your demands. This will take time.

"I love a fulfilling and sexual relationship. That is why I make the effort to have many of those" - TheMaleBrain
"Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb." - Spaceballs
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine" - Obi-Wan Kenobi