rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Euro 2016

Euro 2016

No Euro cup thread?

France vs Romania going on right now, tied with 10 minutes to go. I'm cheering for Romania.

Euro 2016

Quote: (06-10-2016 03:38 PM)Teutatis Wrote:  

No Euro cup thread?

France vs Romania going on right now, tied with 10 minutes to go. I'm cheering for Romania.

Vive la france. Btw I'm in a french city without an England game yet why are all these english people here? Worst fans ever

Euro 2016

Aren't they forbidden to drink in the UK in Stadions? Explains a lot.

I like France, but I didn't see many french playing.

Romanian strippers are the best, I wanted them to win.

Euro 2016

Well, France was unimpressive. Let's see what Germany and Spain are made of.

Euro 2016

Always been a Portugal fan ever since watching Euro 2000 and seeing them lose last minute against France in the semis with that unwarranted penalty Zidane scored.

Should be an easy win against Iceland though.

Used to like England too but have given up on the possibility of them winning any cups. Shame really. They've always had a complete team.

Euro 2016

Quote: (06-10-2016 04:42 PM)Anabasis to Desta Wrote:  

Always been a Portugal fan ever since watching Euro 2000 and seeing them lose last minute against France in the semis with that unwarranted penalty Zidane scored.

Used to like England too but have given up on the possibility of them winning any cups. Shame really. They've always had a complete team.

Pff, don't even start about Euro 2000. I don't even remember France vs Portugal back then, I think I blacked out after Holland missed about a 100 penalties against Italy.

Euro 2016

Quote: (06-10-2016 04:42 PM)Anabasis to Desta Wrote:  

You're kidding Anabasis, right? That was a clear-cut handball and a stone cold penalty, watch Xavier's stretching his palm out for the save (great goalkeeping effort there):

https://youtu.be/pYTBZnqI-9Q?t=2m07s

“Nothing is more useful than to look upon the world as it really is.”

Euro 2016

^ Sometimes you're just not meant to win. That Holland-Italy game was a perfect example. Italy was on defense the whole game and Patrick Kluivert never missed a penalty before. I think Frank Deboer and Edgar David missed penalties too.

Did they get rid of Golden goals in the Euro Cup though? That shit is unfair.

Quote: (06-10-2016 04:59 PM)911 Wrote:  

You're kidding Anabasis, right? That was a clear-cut handball and a stone cold penalty, watch Xavier's stretching his palm out for the save (great goalkeeping effort there):

https://youtu.be/pYTBZnqI-9Q?t=2m07s
Oh wow. You're right ... I always thought Xavier's hand was outside the line. Rationalization hamster. Then again I was only 10 back then & cried when they lost. I could have lived without this knowledge [Image: confused.gif]

Euro 2016

Quote: (06-10-2016 05:02 PM)Anabasis to Desta Wrote:  

^ Sometimes you're just not meant to win. That Holland-Italy game was a perfect example. Italy was on defense the whole game and Patrick Kluivert never missed a penalty before. I think Frank Deboer and Edgar David missed penalties too.

Did they get rid of Golden goals in the Euro Cup though? That shit is unfair.

Yeah, both Kluivert and de Boer missed in the regular game. Then de Boer missed again in the shootout.

I think the last time they had golden goals was back in 2004, when Portugal lost to Greece haha

Euro 2016

^ Nice.

That was the year Postiga and Rui Costa scored against England right?

Euro 2016

That Greece win was epic, most unlikely nations soccer winner of all time. Best bus parking job of all time.

Euro 2016

I'm excited about this year's tournament but it just doesn't seem right to not have Holland participating. How'd they fall so far and so fast in just two years? Was Van Gaal that critical to their success during the last World Cup? I do know they've had some key players decline/retire such as Van Persie and (to a lesser extent) Robben, but I still can't believe Iceland and Turkey bested them during qualifying.

Euro 2016

Quote: (06-10-2016 05:18 PM)911 Wrote:  

That Greece win was epic, most unlikely nations soccer winner of all time. Best bus parking job of all time.

Yeah, I remember they also beat the Czech Republic, via golden goal. And the Chezs were the best team I'd think.

Mourinho probably studied Greece a lot too

Euro 2016

That greece win was sad, fuck them..I was at the france game... it was great seeing all the english sulk after they lost to Portugal in 2004. I was in the stand where Beckman tired to hit me with a soccer ball [Image: wink.gif]

Euro 2016

I don't know, football isn't as nerve-wracking as it used to be. Or maybe it's just my priorities shifting. But I still think 98 to around 2010 was the best time for football.

You just don't have nerve-wracking games like the 1999 Champions league final, Liverpool coming back from 3-0 and beating AC Milan in the 2005 UCL fina,l the UCL game Chelsea Vs Barca in 2004 (when Chelsea scored 3 goals in the first 20 minutes & Stamford bridge was collapsing) or Italy beating Germany 2-0 during extra time in the 2006 WC semis anymore.

Euro 2016

Quote: (06-10-2016 05:21 PM)Diop Wrote:  

I'm excited about this year's tournament but it just doesn't seem right to not have Holland participating. How'd they fall so far and so fast in just two years? Was Van Gaal that critical to their success during the last World Cup? I do know they've had some key players decline/retire such as Van Persie and (to a lesser extent) Robben, but I still can't believe Iceland and Turkey bested them during qualifying.

It's a long story, but it all started of wrong when they appointed Hiddink, while almost everybody wanted to have Koeman as coach. And just when it seemed that Hiddink was getting the team to play better, they fired him and replaced him by his assistent, who basically lost every game after.

Total shame. Actually van Persie did not retire, he just was not called on anymore, and we had a lot of bad luck with Robben, who was injured most of the time. They don't call him the man of glass for nothing.

Still, it's a total shame we did not qualify, looking at the opponents in the group and also because this is the tournament with the most participants ever. And we ended fourth in the group stage.

And yeah van Gaal was very important, also because of the tactics he used at the world cup, playing very defensively with a 5-3-2 formation and all balls to Robben [Image: tongue.gif]

Euro 2016

Who else cheered when Payet scored that delightful hit inside the top corner? I did [Image: smile.gif]

Most of my friends could care less about football though lol.

Euro 2016

Quote: (06-10-2016 05:31 PM)Anabasis to Desta Wrote:  

I don't know, football isn't as nerve-wracking as it used to be. Or maybe it's just my priorities shifting. But I still think 98 to around 2010 was the best time for football.

You just don't have nerve-wracking games like the 1999 Champions league final, Liverpool coming back from 3-0 and beating AC Milan in the 2005 UCL fina,l the UCL game Chelsea Vs Barca in 2004 (when Chelsea scored 3 goals in the first 20 minutes & Stamford bridge was collapsing) or Italy beating Germany 2-0 during extra time in the 2006 WC semis anymore.

Yeah, you are right. Games are different now. If you are talking about 98, you should check out the goal Bergkamp made versus Argentina again. Amazing stuff.

Euro 2016

yeah that was wicked good.

Euro 2016

Agree. Modern-day football is like trench warfare. More emphasis is placed on adherence to tactics and raw physicality than on creativity or technical skills. You just don't get beautiful games anymore. I remember the Netherlands v Czech Republic game from Euro 2004; it was beautiful to watch. Nowadays I'm not even bothered to watch Champions League or international games. It's just too boring.

Euro 2016

Quote: (06-10-2016 11:38 PM)911 Wrote:  

yeah that was wicked good.

Quote: (06-11-2016 01:58 AM)Khan Wrote:  

Agree. Modern-day football is like trench warfare. More emphasis is placed on adherence to tactics and raw physicality than on creativity or technical skills. You just don't get beautiful games anymore. I remember the Netherlands v Czech Republic game from Euro 2004; it was beautiful to watch. Nowadays I'm not even bothered to watch Champions League or international games. It's just too boring.

I'd respectfully disagree. Football goes through different time periods and eras. Remember that in the period before 98-2010, you'd have to say that defensive football (Italians/Argentinians) reigned from about 84-94. And then obviously before that you'd have the great Dutch Total Football sides.

Football styles oscillate, stuff goes in and out of fashion. I think perhaps you are saying that fun ended around 2010 because of the emergence of suffocating possession football, which probably actually started in 2008. However I think that over the next few years, teams will change to a more counter attacking style, with powerful midfielders (look at the emergence of players like Pogba, Matuidi and Kante for France, Dier/Alli for England, even players like Bale and Neymar could be described as powerful.

As you will see tonight, Hodgson won't start with Wilshere. 4 years ago in the height of possession football, he definitely would have played.

Lastly, COME ON ENGLAND!

Euro 2016

Quote: (06-10-2016 05:38 PM)mikado Wrote:  

Who else cheered when Payet scored that delightful hit inside the top corner? I did [Image: smile.gif]

Most of my friends could care less about football though lol.

Amazing goal from Payet ex Marseillais
Allez les bleus!

Euro 2016

Today I'll support Albania. It's funny when you think that best players from the swiss side are actually albanians themselves

Euro 2016

You know When You've Become a True RVFer when you start supporting every eastern european football team...
Anyway I'm betting some money on Germany... it's hard to forget that world cup ownage, some of those players are still there and I'm sure Joachim Low has a better blueprint for his team... and Germany vs Poland will be fun to watch

[Image: 56962371.jpg]

I'm going to hell for this..

Euro 2016

I'm of course in support for Germany.
Its also a joy to read about the English fans in Marseilles. They get a lot of blame but when you read careful they get attacked by local Muslims and did stand their ground.

We will stand tall in the sunshine
With the truth upon our side
And if we have to go alone
We'll go alone with pride

For us, these conflicts can be resolved by appeal to the deeply ingrained higher principle embodied in the law, that individuals have the right (within defined limits) to choose how to live. But this Western notion of individualism and tolerance is by no means a conception in all cultures. - Theodore Dalrymple