rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

GPS watch for running

GPS watch for running

I'm looking to buy a garmin forerunner, i'm only running 20 mpw right now and currently use the nike+ app, holding the phone in my hand gets annoying when i get close to 4min/km pace. I plan on increasing the weekly mileage gradually.
I have a 5k race 3 months from now and i'm seriously considering running a marathon 14 months from now.

What's a good model in the cheaper range (50-150$)? I definitely don't need the heart rate monitor or many of the newer features. It would be nice if i can buy one i can connect to the garmin app or strava to track progress.

I've been looking at some offers on amazon on refurbished or used watches, they are a great deal considering the newer model are 400-500$. Thoughts on this?

I've seen a couple of reviews on youtube that say some models are impossible to read during the race due to a small screen or battery life not lasting more than 3 hours on gps mode.

Any advice appreciated.

GPS watch for running

Get what you want just find a deal.

On ebay for all sellers offering Make Offer option, submit a lowball.

Use a site like http://www.searchcraigslist.org/ and search craigslist and blanket the people selling with lowball offers. One will usually take the bait.

GPS watch for running

I would go for the Polar M400, check Ebay for deals in addition to Craigslist.

GPS watch for running

I already went and bought a forerunner 210.
Seems like older models like the 205/305 have a problem with finding satellites so they can take a few minutes to lock on a signal.

The cheaper ones like the fr60/fr70 are not gps watches, they work with a footpod which gets very unaccurate at faster speeds.

The 610 is a bit more expensive than the 210 and some runners claim that the touchscreen is not benefitial while you're running, physical buttons are much better.

In terms of reading the screen the 310, 910 or 920xt are the best when it comes to size, but their size makes them a watch not usable as an everyday watch unlike the 210, 220 or 230. Also they have many features that regular runners would never use, and they seem to be geared more towards triathlons making them a lot more expensive.

At the higher end i've seen nothing but praise towards the fenix 3 (600$) which comes with a hr monitor on the back of the watch.

Anyway that's what i found maybe somebody will find it useful.

GPS watch for running

Dog,

It's out of your stated price range, but I love the Garmin 920XT. Best fitness tracker/watch combo I've ever owned. I tried three different fitness trackers (Fitbit, Runtastic Orbit, and one other one I can't recall), and they all had at least one flaw or issue that was a deal breaker for me. Eventually I decided to suck it up and shell out for the 920XT, and I don't regret it.

This thing does it all, has incredible battery life, and doesn't look terrible on your wrist.

Wow -- that sounds like and advert. I swear I don't work for Garmin. I just love this watch.

EDIT: Tried to delete post after noticing that OP stated he already purchased the Garmin 210, but keep getting "Not authorized to access page" error, and post is still here.

GPS watch for running

Similar to JayR, I have the Garmin 9 series but mine is the older model, the 910XT. Love it!!!

I do 4 types of running:
1) Long Distance (Zone 1 and Zone 2)
2) Tempo Running
3) Interval Running
4) Brick Training

My watch makes the difference! I set the splits accordingly. I also set the run alerts at distance and time which is important for my Tempo runs.

If your in Canada, you can pick one up at MEC, test drive it and return within 30-45 days with no questions asked.