rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Thyroid damage from dieting?

I was lifting with my buddy today and started talking to a trainer who said if you diet too much (different for everyone), you risk messing up your thyroid and could permanently and negatively impact your metabolism.

I haven't done too many diets but this past year I have done RFL 3 times.

It works for me, but am wondering if what the trainer was saying was true.

I did a search https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=ch...n+thryroid

Seems like most articles talk about hypothyroidism and how sudden drop in carbs can affect your thyroid.

But nothing about permanent lasting damage.

Just curious if anyone has heard anything like this before.

Thanks.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

The only thing that will affect the thyroid from dieting is the lack of intake iodine in the diet to cause hypothyroidism. Doing many different diets without proper nutrition in place can cause iodine deficiency. This can be avoid with proper multivitamin or using table salt.

If you diet a couple of times you'll be find. This is mainly for the obese and anorexics aka the extremes patterns of eating. Related to bodybuilding, is the use of T3, a thyroid increasing drug. If you're not careful with this one... then for sure you'll develop a thyroid deficiency as your body might become addicted to it.

Also a good habit to develop when you're dieting is to slowly build the carbs back up in your diet to avoid too much of a rebound effect when your body holds water like crazy. I like to build back up my carb intake over a 4 week window. It's a bit long, but that way the transition from dieting to regular eating is smooth & pleasant.

Quote: (05-20-2016 06:07 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

I was lifting with my buddy today and started talking to a trainer who said if you diet too much (different for everyone), you risk messing up your thyroid and could permanently and negatively impact your metabolism.

I haven't done too many diets but this past year I have done RFL 3 times.

It works for me, but am wondering if what the trainer was saying was true.

I did a search https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=ch...n+thryroid

Seems like most articles talk about hypothyroidism and how sudden drop in carbs can affect your thyroid.

But nothing about permanent lasting damage.

Just curious if anyone has heard anything like this before.

Thanks.

Dieting for extended periods does alter your thyroid hormone production which will in turn slow your metabolism temporarily but as for permanently, no. Take your most extreme example of dieting, anorexics, their thyroids have been shown to bounce back given time and most dieters will never reach that level of we'll call it dedication lol

Thanks for the info guys.

Captain Gh, can you elaborate on your carb intake process?

On RFL, I get to have a major refeed once a week.

If you take carbs back to quickly, you are saying water retention can be an issue?

Thanks.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Quote: (05-20-2016 10:47 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

Thanks for the info guys.

Captain Gh, can you elaborate on your carb intake process?

On RFL, I get to have a major refeed once a week.

If you take carbs back to quickly, you are saying water retention can be an issue?

Thanks.

Yeah definitely. First of all, I didn't know what RFL was, so I had to Google it. As soon as I saw that it's a Rapid Fat loss diet, then I was pretty sure it has a Ketogenic or Low Carb base to it. While I'm not a big of doing Ketogenic/ Low Carb on a long term basis, I do know the science behind it, and I know it works. In your case Sam, don't worry about water retention since you need the refeed to replenish your glycogen stores, and to avoid lowering your metabolism. O this diet, lowering your metabolism is Enemy #1, so it must be avoided, no matter what.

In my case, since I always keep my carbs really high (80-85%), when I'm ending a cut, I've got to bring my carbs back up slowly to avoid the bloat and weight gain since my glycogen store stay mostly full all the time due to me being always High Carb. In your case, the water retention is just a minor pain that you absolutely have to deal with in order to avoid something far worse, which is metabolic slow down.

You just have to time your refeed window depending on how you want to look. If you plan on going to the beach, then your refeed has to be relatively small & clean with good complex carbs like Rice and a low amount of fruits since they contain a lot of water. If you have nothing really going on, then you can definitely go balls deep on your refeed and eat whatever. Just make sure to keep your fat low on refeeds.

Carb & Fats don't like each other at all! Here's a video that will definitely help you with your refeed since it's got the same principle as the Rapid Fat Loss Diet: it's regarding the Anabolic Diet, which also deals with refeeds. Jerry doesn't look his Best in this Vid, but he's a Boss that knows what he's talking about. Accurate info guaranteed!