rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Working as a Ski Instructor data sheet

Apart from just adding random comments to this forum I thought I would add something that might be something of value to some people.

Following is a list country by country of how you can work as a ski instructor in various countries around the world, what qualifications you need. I'll try to add in some data about pay too but of course that varies.

GETTING IN
In order to become a ski instructor it follows that you you have to be a reasonable skier to start off with. Most people then dip their toe in the water and get certified with the most basic level in the national system of the country they want to work in, or in another country's system that is accepted by the country that you want to work in.

Most systems have two elements to their instructor exams, the performance skiing side and teaching side. Both increase in difficulty the further up the ladder you go.

The other super useful thing to have is languages. Currently, I teaching in both English and French. I've also done in the past a 3 hour lesson only using 5 words of Portuguese and I have a few Italian and Spanish phrases. The more languages you speak the more in demand you will be.

FRANCE

France is known as the most difficult country in the world to obtain your certificate (Brevet Federale) in. In order just to get in at the entry level to become a trainee (stagiere) you'll need to ski a timed slalom run called the test technique. For this, you'll have to ski a slalom run to with 18% (male, 25% female [Image: tard.gif]) of 0FIS points. Zero FIS points is the best slalom skier in the world (Marcel Hirscher).

Once you get through this, you have around 4 or 5 years to get all of your teaching, off piste mountain safety technique exams. You are assigned a mentor and he trains you and gets you through the system before you sit the exam at the top of the system which is called the Europeans speed test. The same applies as per the test technique (18% rule) except that it's giant slalom and you have to get to within 0FIS (ted ligety anyone...).

For both this and the Test technique, you get 2 goes a year, each of two runs. I've personally tried this and the pressure on the frenchies not to fuck up their runs is immense. I should mention that realistically, the only ski schools that can take on stagieres is the ESF (Ecole de Ski Francais).

After all this, they are full cert and can go on to earn anywhere from EUR50 an hour and upwards. They also have the right to establish their own ski school and teach anywhere in Europe.

Arguably the French system is geared towards racing as they get a lot of drop out from their ski racing program at a local level and these guys have to do something in winter otherwise they would have no money so the French system incentivises ex racers.

The French ski beautifully at the highest levels and have a pronounced early edge inside knee pushing movement. Very fluid with their upper body.

ITALY

In Italy it's a little more complicated. The instructor qualifications are all handled regionally but you can expect more or less the same as the French.

HOWEVER, The Italians don't have a test technique, they have the Euro Speed Test as the entry to their system. So basically you have to be able to race before you can start to learrn how to lay down a decent snowplough.

The Italians have in their system all of the same ingredients, so exams on teaching, skiing performance, off piste mountain safety etc etc

Once they've done all this, they get the Maestro di Sci qualification and can teach anywhere in Europe. Again their system incentivises ex racers because they have a lot of them due to their racing pyramid. Interestingly, there is no moguls assessment in their technical skiing exams.

Pay scale and right of establishment similar to France.

Italian skier are characterised by a quite up and down style of skiing and are unsurprisingly quite flamboyant.

AUSTRIA

The Austrian system is different to the above in that the entry level is much lower and anyone with languages and a bit of skiing ability can turn up and do a qualification called the 'Anwerter'.

This is basically a kiddie qualification that lets you loose to teach kids and teach up to a basic level. It is about 10 days long. You will need to be able to speak German in Austria as they require a basic level of knowledge

If you want to continue in the Austrian system, there are two more levels of increasing difficulty, containing all of the elements described in the French and Italian systems) until you reach the top of the Autrian system and you come across the Euro Speed Test.

Pay rates similar at the highest level to what was mentioned about and decreasing for the lower levels of qualification.

Austrian skiers ski in a strong bull like stance. Are technically solid but you can recognise them a mile off like skiing terminators.

SWITZERLAND

Switzerland is slightly different to the other 'alpine nations' in terms of how they qualify their ski instructors. Firstly, they don't yet recognise the speed test. In their level 2 patente exam, they have what is known as the ISIA speed test which is less fast.

The curious thing about the whole Swiss system is that you can work in it with no qualifications at all. If the ski school director thinks that you are good enough, he can sign you off and that will do. This is gradually changing but if you speak loads of languages and can ski well, there are jobs a plenty in Switzerland. This also means that if you aren't fully qualified in your own countries system or you have a qualification from a different system, Switzerland is a good bet to look for jobs.

In Switzerland you have a number of qualifications at the lower level. There is a kiddie qualification, like the Anwerter that gives you the basics. After that, there is the degree 1 which is the basic ski instructor and then the degree 2 which includes a bunch of other stuff like the ISIA speed test, off piste mountain safety and second discipline (snowboarding, telemark etc etc).

After that there are some other written exams on tourism and how to run a ski school and you can then set up independently or start a school (brevet Federale).

Pay rates for degree 2 are around 60fr per hour and for full Brevet Federale, they basically keep what the client pays. When you become degree 2, the ski school that employs you has the right then to employ a further 5 ski instructors of lower levels so you are much in demand. At the bigger resorts one can also have a retainer just to keep your degree 2 on the wall.

The Swiss system has a large focus on agility and whilst they have some strange ideas here and there about skiing, most of it makes sense and produces some very elegant and agile skiers.

BRITISH

The British have a system called BASI. There is lots of useful and well presented information on their website.

The British have 4 levels in their system. Levels 1and2 are the super basic ones and teach you how to teach up to basic parallel level. Levels 3 and 4 are where it gets more serious and you have to do the off piste mountain safety, second disciple, second langage test, and various other modules. At the top of their level 4 is also the Euro Speed Test.

The British tend to have a quite functional, all mountain style but looks a little robotic compared to some of the alpine nations.

One the British system is completed to level 4 you have right of establishment to start a ski school in France for example but the majority of people qualified in this system tend to not reach the heights of level 4 and go to work in other places in the world like Switzerland, Canada, Japan, Australia, New Zealand etc with whatever levels that they have.

IRISH

The Irish system is identical to the British and very similar in style and working rights at the end of it. However, at the top of the Irish system, you have an option t take the Euro speed test or the ISIA speed test. The reason for this is that some of the Irish members would prefer to then convert into the Swiss patente system.

NEW ZEALAND AND AUSTRALIA

I don't know much about these systems. If anyone wants to know, I can research and add later.

I do know that this pay rates are terrible though. Because all of Europe and the northern Hemisphere's instructors wants to ski in the summer, Aus and NZ get flooded with applications for work. They only take the best and pay around 10-15 dollars an hour. Most people break even on a Southern Hemisphere summer.

The NZ and Australian system have got a weird, keeping low style about them and they suck up their legs in the transition between the turns so they look like they are skiing in a tube or tunnel. They have taken some odd ideas lately from the Japanese and Koreans.

USA

The key difference in the US is that the mountains are owned by the operator of the ski resort. As a result, compared to their Euro counter parts, the per hour rate for ski instructors in the US is fuck all with the instructors relying on tips.

The US tends to have a solid all mountain style that isn't so focused on racing as they euro guys. If you look at US resorts and the controlled off piste and prevalence of fatter skis, this makes sense.

There are 3 levels to the PSIA system in the US. The level 1 is fairly basic and teaches you how to tech the basics. As you progress though the levels the technique and teaching requirements goes up. Their website is fairly comprehensive and is found easily online.

CANADA

Similar to the US in terms of reward for work, the Canadian instructor system has 4 levels. The Canadian 1 and 2 levels are at the lower end of the spectrum but the guys at level 3 and 4 really can ski.

Pay structure and reliance on tips similar in Canada to the US.

The PSIA and CSIA (American and Canadian) quals are widely recognised in Europe and I know plenty of people who use those qualifications here in Switzerland.

I know that we have a large US-centric forum base here so I am sorry about my limited knowledge of what it takes in the US and Canada but I am Euro based and focused so my main bulk of knowledge lies here. I also know nothing about Japan or Korea or China.

This information is the framework for a book I plan to write later this summer on how to go about becoming an instructor.

Any questions, I would be happy to answer.
SP

That's great stuff skipro. I'm not going to be anywhere near good enough to teach but how do I progress from parallel turns to carving??

It seems so much smoother carving.

I'm glad that there are some ski alpine enthusiasts on rvf. Skiing is simply one of the greates sports existing! From which part of Switzerland do you come from?
____

I often thought about doing a ski instructor gig during the winter holidays but never really informed myself or got into it. How do you start out? Do you just approach ski schools and ask them if they need instructors? Will the ski school provide accommodation while I work for them?

Good datasheet Ski pro.
+1
I am far from becoming a ski instructor, so my interest is not selfish. I can barely ski myself and can not really snowboard at all.

Trust me or not I was thinking about exactly this subject recently. A very good friend of mine, actually best friend is good at skiing and plays hockey semi-professionally. Basically sport is his life, but he is struggling from the financial side. I was thinking that ski-instructor or diving instructor would be a good possible job for him.
I will take this datasheet of your as a sign from above.

Which country would you suggest for EU citizen. Easiest to get in, reasonable money wise and not too strict on Languages?

Are you a ski instructor yourself, and how does it help getting girls. What kind of girls you are encountering. What kind of difficulties lay in your way and what are your tactics to make the girls "slide" into your bedroom?

Great breakdown.

I have a two (three, including his wife) friends who have made lives for themselves as ski instructors and guides.

They have put considerable time and effort into it, and have given up most of the luxuries of life because of their love of the mountains. They maintain a great spartan life (except for their gear, of course) and now into their 30's have a bit more consistency in paychecks.

The couple are from Sweden and teach in Are mostly. Also Norway, and some in Austria. They guide rafting in the summer and also some abseiling. They can pool their money and can afford a bit more luxuries by living this way. Staying out of the party scene mostly also keeps money in their pockets as ski areas are notoriously expensive.

The other friend is Japanese and is one of those monks that has pretty much hitch hiked around the planet. Walked through the 'Stans, Iran and has skied nearly every range imaginable. He gives motivational talks to high schools and is a now a private guide to the wealthy in Zermatt/Cortina and is an instructor/private guide in New Zealand. He has just finally hit his jackpot in life. His Dream.

He now has a house in Hokkaido that he shares with another woman for nearly nothing (they had to tell the local government they were planning on starting a family). He gets there total maybe a month a year to ski, but its the best. He lives an eternal winter, essentially, but makes it to places in the shoulder seasons he has not been to yet (the list is getting short, he made 100 countries last year).

I met him through a ski buddy here in Canada. We shredded Whistler for a winter a long time ago and I have visited him to ski in Italy and Swiss.

It can be a dream lifestyle for certain people. I give my respect to those who manage to do it. Those that can, are among the healthiest and happiest people I know.

Quote: (05-02-2016 01:15 PM)Guitarman Wrote:  

That's great stuff skipro. I'm not going to be anywhere near good enough to teach but how do I progress from parallel turns to carving??

It seems so much smoother carving.

Obviously this will be difficult to describe just here on a forum. Carving is basically putting a ski on an edge and riding it. Yes, if you can handle the pressure and the speed, it's a much better way to get around and very cruisy. There are three flex joints for this which gradually create bigger edge angles, ankles, knees and hips. The bigger the angle and the more that you can bend the ski, setting the edge against the snow, the better your carving will be. Next time you are going skiing, PM me and I'll give you some things to try.

Quote: (05-02-2016 04:23 PM)Caravaggio Wrote:  

I'm glad that there are some ski alpine enthusiasts on rvf. Skiing is simply one of the greates sports existing! From which part of Switzerland do you come from?
____

I often thought about doing a ski instructor gig during the winter holidays but never really informed myself or got into it. How do you start out? Do you just approach ski schools and ask them if they need instructors? Will the ski school provide accommodation while I work for them?

I agree with you on this, skiing is a sport like no other. If you want an even better experience, try telemark. It has even more room in it for self expression. I work in the Swiss French bit. That's all I'm prepared to say about my location in the public part of this forum.

I started out by first getting qualified to a basic level and then writing to literally every ski school in Switzerland. This got me 3 interviews, 3 job offers (because I wrote to them in French) and I picked the one I liked best. Haven't looked back since and have gradually got myself more qualified and further up the ladder.

Some schools do provide accomodation, Japan, US and Canada, Aus certainly do for some of their resorts. In Europe you have to find your own and get in early because there is usually a shortage of affordable accomodation in resort. A good way to start is to apply to something called Interski. They do 2 or 3 weeks in Italy and you can dip your toe in the water to see if you like it.

Quote: (05-02-2016 10:53 PM)Vinny Wrote:  

Good datasheet Ski pro.
+1
I am far from becoming a ski instructor, so my interest is not selfish. I can barely ski myself and can not really snowboard at all.

Trust me or not I was thinking about exactly this subject recently. A very good friend of mine, actually best friend is good at skiing and plays hockey semi-professionally. Basically sport is his life, but he is struggling from the financial side. I was thinking that ski-instructor or diving instructor would be a good possible job for him.
I will take this datasheet of your as a sign from above.

Which country would you suggest for EU citizen. Easiest to get in, reasonable money wise and not too strict on Languages?

Are you a ski instructor yourself, and how does it help getting girls. What kind of girls you are encountering. What kind of difficulties lay in your way and what are your tactics to make the girls "slide" into your bedroom?

Hi Vinny.

I was coaching a young hockey player this year. Because of the dependence on the inside foot in hockey, they take some time to adapt but usually ski parallel real quick and have amazing agility and no fear of falling.

What's languages does your friend speak? I would suggest starting out in Switzerland or as I mentioned before, try Interski.

I am a ski instructor yes. In terms of getting girls, the mountains tend to be quite cock heavy. You have to remember that women in general don't like being cold so in the colder months, you have bars full of dudes.

The game that seems to work out here (and I won't lie to you, being an instructor helps) is asshole game and a large dose of social proof. I'm in a committed relationship myself [Image: dodgy.gif] with a girl from a different city but the guys I see who slay it the best are always seen out with girls and have usually slept with most of the village. They literally don't give a fuck, say what they want, do what they want. This attracts both local girls and girls here on their week long holiday. Every week a different crop of tourists [Image: smile.gif]

The thing to think about out here is that there are a lot of strong alpha male characters around. Natural ones. Skiing and the mountains is a sport that attracts strong willed people. How are you going to stand out amoungst all that?

Aah skiing! A pastime that is very close to my heart.

Ski pro - thanks for the write up. Other than becoming an instructor (which doesn't pay very well initially) or maybe opening a bar/restaurant/accommodation (which are big commitments on your time and bank account) are there any other careers/business ventures you are aware of that lend themselves to a mountainside existence?

Preferably in Banff or Whistler to be precise.

Pros, cons, limitations, likelihood of success - any info gratefully received.

Quote: (05-03-2016 08:27 AM)Lagavulin Wrote:  

Ski pro - thanks for the write up. Other than becoming an instructor (which doesn't pay very well initially) or maybe opening a bar/restaurant/accommodation (which are big commitments on your time and bank account) are there any other careers/business ventures you are aware of that lend themselves to a mountainside existence?

Pros, cons, limitations, likelihood of success - any info gratefully received.

Working as a waiter at apre ski places or ski lodges. It's stressful, you'll not be able to ski much but they pay very well. Just be sure to apply early because these jobs are in demand.

@skipro: thank you very much! I'll look into it and see if it fits my scheduled.
Another question: Do you usually prefer doing one to one lessons or large (kids) groups? I wonder if there is a large difference in the pay and obviously doing kids is way more exhausting

- telemark: looks interesting, never heard of it before! I usually enjoy skiing on the slopes though, I neither have the gear nor the skill set for serious off-road/ freeride skiing.
Do you recommend skiing in Switzerland? I'm from Austria and I envy your landscapes but it's ridiculously expensive

Move to a ski resort to become a waiter and be too busy to ski?

Are you shitting me?

Quote: (05-03-2016 05:09 PM)Lagavulin Wrote:  

Move to a ski resort to become a waiter and be too busy to ski?

Are you shitting me?

that's the reality of seasonal jobs. you live there for e.g. one month (many students do this), you can sleep and eat there for free and get paid to work 6 days a week. i can't think of other employment opportunities (beside ski teacher) during the winter months which will allow you to spent much free time because ski resorts are usually very expensive (accommodation + lift pass) and they live from a couple of months each year so they work much and hard in this period.

Yeah I get that. I appreciate you taking the time to reply man but I didn't really mean seasonal jobs. I had in mind a permanent move and wondered if the OP with his experience might have insight into areas I hadn't previously considered.

The kind of thing you mention does have its place for younger dudes who are just looking to go abroad for a season but im past that.

Last few ski trips, Ive noticed that a lot of places (US resorts) employ a good number of girls from outside the country. Mostly South American girls, especially from Argentina and Chile. I imagine they come in to work for the season, then go back home after the season ends.

If I were a ski instructor/ lift operator / resort staff, these would be the girls I would target.

These girls are young (18 to early 20s), and stay in dorm-type accommodations, usually with a roommate. As an employee there for the season, you might have an in with these girls over some tourist who is only in town for the weekend. Obviously it would also help if you had some spanish skills as well.

Other than that, some guys I talked to who gave lessons and did the after ski party scene said they cleaned up pretty well. Lot of college age girls working there as bartenders and wait staff for the season looking to get wild on the weekends. Most girls who are tourists are lost causes since they are usually with dudes but sometimes you can get lucky. I once made out with a drunk party girl from South Africa on a shuttle ride because I gave her a cigarette. I think she was one of those wild types who was there to ski and party on their rich daddies money.

Quote: (05-03-2016 05:52 PM)Lagavulin Wrote:  

Yeah I get that. I appreciate you taking the time to reply man but I didn't really mean seasonal jobs. I had in mind a permanent move and wondered if the OP with his experience might have insight into areas I hadn't previously considered.

The kind of thing you mention does have its place for younger dudes who are just looking to go abroad for a season but im past that.

Hey, I saw your last two comments and yes, there are plenty of people who come out to the mountains and never go back.

You need to bear in mind that there is all of the infrastructure that exists in cities and urban areas, still exists up here and still needs people to do it. The whole spectrum of work exists up here and it's easier for men. Women tend to be waitresses or cleaners and that's about it.

For example, I know guys that do building work for most of the year and then take the winter off and ski every day. Obviously the building firms can't work outdoors in the winter months because everything is covered in snow so they just tell everyone to take 3/4 months off and then come back in April/may.

The other option is doing this whole location independence thing. Clearly with that you could be anywhere. I know people who work online or who commute to the UK for 4 days a week, live here on long weekends.

It takes a while to set up and a long time to start making it work but the key thing is that if you want to live out here, you have to commit, move, opportunities come your way after that.

Quote: (05-04-2016 05:43 AM)Dirtyblueshirt Wrote:  

Last few ski trips, Ive noticed that a lot of places (US resorts) employ a good number of girls from outside the country. Mostly South American girls, especially from Argentina and Chile. I imagine they come in to work for the season, then go back home after the season ends.

If I were a ski instructor/ lift operator / resort staff, these would be the girls I would target.

These girls are young (18 to early 20s), and stay in dorm-type accommodations, usually with a roommate. As an employee there for the season, you might have an in with these girls over some tourist who is only in town for the weekend. Obviously it would also help if you had some spanish skills as well.

Other than that, some guys I talked to who gave lessons and did the after ski party scene said they cleaned up pretty well. Lot of college age girls working there as bartenders and wait staff for the season looking to get wild on the weekends. Most girls who are tourists are lost causes since they are usually with dudes but sometimes you can get lucky. I once made out with a drunk party girl from South Africa on a shuttle ride because I gave her a cigarette. I think she was one of those wild types who was there to ski and party on their rich daddies money.

^^This in a nutshell.

Yes, if you are here all season and you have a bit of game, you'll do pretty well. Although you won't be finding any unicorns up here. Normally everyone has slept with everyone.

[quote] (05-03-2016 10:28 AM)Caravaggio Wrote:  

[quote='Lagavulin' pid='1291883' dateline='1462282030']

Pros, cons, limitations, likelihood of success - any info gratefully received.[/quote]

@skipro: thank you very much! I'll look into it and see if it fits my scheduled.
Another question: Do you usually prefer doing one to one lessons or large (kids) groups? I wonder if there is a large difference in the pay and obviously doing kids is way more exhausting

No, in our ski school we are paid a flat rate regardless of what you teach. I don't really find the teaching that exhausting but I'm a bit further up the ladder now so I don't do much snowplough with 3 year olds. I love skiing about with kids, going on adventures and introducing them to the mountain. Kids of around 7-10 years old are great, they love to learn and bomb about having fun, jumping off of shit. The other lessons that I'm usually specialist at is nervous, milf women. Often, husband is away and they just want someone to talk to, not really interesting in learning. A bit of game goes a long way here [Image: dodgy.gif]

The groups I find toughest are the adult learners. They can be more intimidating and ask questions that challenge your knowledge more.

Do I recommend skiing in Switzerland? Yes, it's expensive, often for no reason but you also have amazing skiing in Austria. I really like Austria.

Good stuff. I worked as a snowboard instructor at Blue Mountain in Canada - was a good gig. Decent pay, plenty of babes and fairly easy to get certified, although it's fairly easy in Ontario. There aren't any massive mountains. I'm guessing the certification to work at Whistler is a lot harder.

Thanks Ski pro for the data sheet.

I'm an avid skier that gets out about 10 days a year (five in the Rockies, five in the Dolomites) and wishes he could do more. Switzerland is where I would really like to live, and becoming an instructor is an interesting back-door entrance into this amazing country.

I always like reading posts like this because it's inspiring to see that there are ways to make money doing something you love.

It's certainly one way of getting to Switzerland but you would have to consider what you would do after the ski season is over because you would need a work permit to stay and these generally are attached to jobs, assuming you aren't doing this whole location independent thing.

If you are that into skiing, now Is about the time that I'm starting to see my fb feed fill up with people I know heading off to the Southern Hemisphere, nz, Aus, South America etc and starting their winter season. It can be more or less endless winter if you are prepared to chase it.

My dog and commitments in this region prevent me from this option so I tend to ski at least twice a month on the glaciers in the summer.

Awesome thread, just wondering skipro, any idea on the snowboarding side for europe? Do snowboard instructors get decent pay there? Would an ISIA cert do?

Quote: (05-02-2016 12:51 PM)Ski pro Wrote:  

USA

The key difference in the US is that the mountains are owned by the operator of the ski resort. As a result, compared to their Euro counter parts, the per hour rate for ski instructors in the US is fuck all with the instructors relying on tips.

The owner of the resort does not necessarily own the mountain itself, but often leases the land. In VT, there are three ski areas in the Green Mountain National Forest; I don't think they can actually own that land. Out west, areas like Winter Park which was at one time owned and operated by the city of Denver (through 2002, now they have some kind of partnership). It makes a difference when it comes to things like snow making, which requires water rights, etc. and sometimes gets into heated battles with environmental greenies.

In any event, I don't see how this affects the system of relying on tips; ski instructing isn't all that different from scuba instructing or white water rafting instructing, jobs which also in the US rely on tips as a substantial part of the compensation. Other than that, great data sheet.

Quote: (06-09-2016 08:47 AM)bleaknight Wrote:  

Awesome thread, just wondering skipro, any idea on the snowboarding side for europe? Do snowboard instructors get decent pay there? Would an ISIA cert do?

Snowboarding is a funny one in Europe and the only specifics I know about are France and Switzerland.

In Switzerland it's the same as I mentioned above, ie. If the snowboard chef de technique thinks you're good enough you'll be able to land a job.

In France, you have to be a qualified ski instructor in the French system to be able to get a carte pro to teach snowboarding. In the French system there isn't a snowboard specific route.

However, if you were to go through, for example, the british system of qualification, at the top level of that, you do have the right of establishment and can set up your own sb school in France. Bear in mind that to get to that top level you'll have to go and get FIS points in either slope style or sbx. I know someone who just did it and it's not easy.

The only thing to bear in mind with snowboarding is the declining participation numbers. Sad to say it but we don't have many sb pros teaching now and many have resorted to skiing to make ends meet.

Let me know if any more questions.

Quote: (06-09-2016 09:22 AM)SlickyBoy Wrote:  

Quote: (05-02-2016 12:51 PM)Ski pro Wrote:  

USA

The owner of the resort does not necessarily own the mountain itself, but often leases the land. In VT, there are three ski areas in the Green Mountain National Forest; I don't think they can actually own that land. Out west, areas like Winter Park which was at one time owned and operated by the city of Denver (through 2002, now they have some kind of partnership). It makes a difference when it comes to things like snow making, which requires water rights, etc. and sometimes gets into heated battles with environmental greenies.

In any event, I don't see how this affects the system of relying on tips; ski instructing isn't all that different from scuba instructing or white water rafting instructing, jobs which also in the US rely on tips as a substantial part of the compensation. Other than that, great data sheet.

I agree with you on this and it was a bit of a big generalisation. I was more referring to the vail resorts type of model which is getting a lot of bad press lately. Obviously there are privately owned hills where you make a better per hour rate and get tips.

The whole tip thing is just a cultural difference I don't really get. We rarely tip here in switz because everyone earns shitloads and in restaurants is max 5%

Yep, at least you recognize that. Some Canadians still often come down here and tip shitty or not at all, pretending to not know the custom. It's well known by now - tips are the main source of income for waiters.

also take into account that the lift systems in Europe aren't conducive for snowboarding - unlike North America, many of the runs require long traverses, something doable on skis but a pain in the ass for snowboarders. it's one thing to hop or unstrap and skate for a few yards, in the alps, some of the traverses are at least 100 yards apart