rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Drubers approach log

Drubers approach log

I've decided to take the plunge, and start approaching solid for at least two weeks.

I'll briefly include the interactions, and write my thoughts on how I could've improved my style, etc. Please feel free to add any comments, and any criticisms are welcome.

About myself: I'm in my early forties, and I've been mostly a introverted type which has impacted my social life and skills badly. 6'1 and muscular, and about 4 in looks.

Socially, was always withdrawn and came across as very awkward. But am addressing this now by hopefully joining groups (like meetup.com). I'm starting to practice on checkout clerks, by just talking about general stuff and it's starting to pay off. Also beginning to relax, and not really give a monkeys if I say something stupid!

Day 1.

Spent a few hours rolling solo. Began by asking people the time, etc, to get me into an approaching mood.

Although I don't smoke, I'm using cigarettes as a prop (ask for a light).

Asked several women for 'a light', and tried to engage but was tongue tied, so thanked them and went on my way. But met up with a Swedish chick who obliged in giving me a light. We spoke about travelling in Europe, and I then suggested that we meet up for a drink. But she used the 'I'm married' line, and I kinda teased her about that. My first real blowout!

Started to approach women in sets (usually two), who were stationary and stood around smoking. So I did my cigarette routine with a couple of youngish goth/rocker chics, and used elderly conversations re the best cafe to eat, etc (as one of them mentioned they were about to eat). Should've asked re the night life, and best places to drink and then transition onto a meet up.

Made my way into the centre, and striked up a conversation with an older chick in her early thirties. She mentioned that her car was due for an MOT, and we spoke about finding a decent garage, etc. She seemed interested in the convo (some IOIs), but I missed an opportunity as we spoke about the night life in the city (and how she preferred quite pubs). I should've made a suggestion to meet up, but I missed it by a clear mile!

Some thoughts. I need to slow down when speaking, and to also find a nice pace to fall into. Noticed that I sometimes come across as too friendly, and that's got to stop as it's kinda creepy (especially with the younger females). Just need to slow down a bit, and also noticed some stuttering (which surprised me, as I never really suffered from this).

My eye contact wasn't too bad (trying to find the right balance), but I sometimes catch myself staring (been told I come across as serious), so need to keep it casual.

Also seem to laugh at inappropriate times (too forced, trying too hard to appear relaxed?), so need to work on that.

But, managed to get some females to laugh and mostly felt comfortable (don't really want to fall into clown game, as I'd rather come across as genuine). Feeling optimistic after today, so will keep on ploughing on.

Drubers approach log

Keep on trucking. The fact that you're even approaching at all puts you miles ahead of most dudes.

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.

Drubers approach log

yee yee buddy keep it goin

Drubers approach log

Due to work, and other daily crap, I'm trying to get out as often as possible.

Tues 22nd March.

Travelled to a nearby city, and I felt kinds 'off' (headspace wasn't too great), which impacted my approaches.

Ended up walking around, and asking for: the time, directions, for a light, etc. Kinda pissed at myself for bottling it.

Anyway, not put off by this as I'll continue to stick to this for myself; a) to beat social anxiety/confidence issues, b) to enjoy the whole process and to develop a IDGAF attitude.

Drubers approach log

Weds 23rd March

Spent a good afternoon at a new city (totally unfamiliar to me, so a bit disorienting). No major progress in sealing the deal, but considering I was a complete recluse for a decade, I feel like I've come some way and am stepping in the right direction.

Found some prime spots where there were plenty of people, so took advantage by planting myself in a particular spot. Just used the good old old openers: time, light, and directions. I'm noticing that my openers are getting better (without stuttering), and more natural.

Sometimes, once they've given me the info, I then start asking questions re their accent (where are you from), etc, and kinda run out of things to say at this point. Really want to take it further, but feel like this is the major sticking point.

The main thing is overcoming my issues with being outside in crowded areas, and also in areas where their is high stimuli (noises, lights, etc) as I can now just block it out. Confidence in this area is getting better with constant exposure.

One thing I've noticed is that I'm pretty good with situational openers, so that's a bonus! The main thing is to remain relaxed during the interaction, and don't use too much eye contact (as I sometimes seem 'intense'). Was able to laugh, and to also smile more (trying not to go overboard!). Also noticed that, due to my large size (6'1 and build like a tank), some females flinch slightly and so I'm having to adjust my proximity, and to just keep it casual.

Going to stick at it, but I really need to take that final leap and go for the closure (ie her no) and accept rejection and move on.

Keep on trucking!