rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Location independent resources

Hi guys

My plan is to read up on living a location independent lifestyle now. So I am wondering if there are any good blogs or books on how to do this? Any useful resources you can point me to?

I almost managed to get this lifestyle trough working on the oil rigs with 2 weeks on and 4 weeks off work. But the oil sector went to shit, and in retrospect I would rather live with less money and more free time.
Work steals your soul [Image: dodgy.gif]
I still work in the oil business, but can use all that free time to try to get an location independent lifestyle up and going instead.

Any tips would be awesome

What kind of job do plan to do in general? You should clarify this questions before you read up a lot of garbage on the internet.

Do you want to freelance like those digital nomads and sell e-book, webinars or whatever? Or do you want to go to countries and settle for a few months working in an office for a client?

How do you imagine you new lifestyle?

To tell you the truth random guy, I have no clue.
I haven't got enough information to make a decision of what should be the right way of doing this.

Looking for books, podcasts, blogs ect of people who have managed to live this life successfully. So that I can get a feel of what direction would be the right way to go.

What different kind of ways do the digital nomads make money?
Blogs, books, webinars. What else?

You can take a look at UpWork. It's a job portal for freelancers which means you can do mostly 99% of the work remotely. Pick a category and look if you might interested in some of those jobs.

https://www.upwork.com/i/freelancer-categories/

Maybe the "4 hour work week" would be a book to introduce you to this kind of lifestyle and the prospects. http://www.amazon.com/The-4-Hour-Workwee...0307465357

Speaking of a podcast series there is the Tropical MBA which many guys prefer. Check it out here http://www.tropicalmba.com

This is more than enough otherwise you will buffer overflow. Good luck.

I made the jump from corporate slave (lawyer) to semi-independent location freelancer in two years. One was spent saving like crazy, reading all I could, preparing my logistics and finances, and, most importantly, accepting myself and finding skills which could be worth to someone willing to pay me remotely.

The other year was spent posting bids on freelancing sites and adjusting to my new lifestyle.

Again, most importantly, do you believe in yourself? Do you have any marketable skills which could be worth to someone willing to you remotely? Do you have debt? Can you engage into a minimalist lifestyle?

Quote: (02-05-2016 05:55 PM)RandomGuy1 Wrote:  

You can take a look at UpWork. It's a job portal for freelancers which means you can do mostly 99% of the work remotely. Pick a category and look if you might interested in some of those jobs.

Not sure about the other categories, but at least for me freelance writing and web development on Upwork has been kind of a crapshoot that I wouldn't really recommend. Yeah I have made a few thousand on there over the last year, but the headaches caused by the massive amount of low quality clients isn't really worth it IMO.

There is also a lot of time wasting where I spend several hours consulting with a client getting the details of their project and discussing how we can proceed just to have them disappear off the radar. Im not saying don't try your luck on Upwork, but I wouldn't count on building a reliable full-time income there. As a side hustle, sure..

I've noticed that the amount of BS has gotten significantly worse after the Elance + Odesk merger (now called Upwork). The quality of clients on Elance were much better, and the software itself was definitely better as well. On Upwork literally every other page I click on pops up an error message.

Anyway, see this thread for more freelance info thread-47266.html