rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Books written by women suck

Not too long ago I bought a book that was suggested on London real Youtube channel, the book is called ''how to work a room, the ultimate guide to making lasting connections'' by Susan Roane.

When I started reading the book, I noticed a lot of non sense as if the writer had no idea on how to engage with strangers. I swear that I didn't even know the book was written by a woman by the time I started reading the book and then while reading it, I just thought to myself ''this book was probably written by a woman, no way a man would write such non sense''. I had decided to check out the authors name and boom, it was written by a woman.

I quickly returned the book and got refunded for it (I hate to return books though, I only do it when I can not get any value from them).

This is not the first time that it happens. It happened to me few other times that I have actually stopped buying books that were written by women.

Anybody else been through the same experience?

I will never again read a non-fiction work written by a women. I'm not a big fiction reader but there are some quality novels written by female authors.

The last book I read by a woman was "A History of God" by Karen Armstrong. The sentence structure and organization was absolutely terrible. It was hard to focus at times due to run-on sentences and excessive use of clauses with "however" and "therefore". The book could have been shortened 20% if a man rewrote each sentence.

There are plenty of poorly written books by men too. But at least I know there's a chance it will be good if there's a male name on the cover.

Let women stick to the world they know: fantasy.

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. Great book, one of my favourite novels.

Although some say it wasn't (at least, entirely) written her. When it comes to creating/making art, the most beautiful art a women will ever create is life itself.

Fiction and fantasy are better suited to women than non-fiction of course.

I've read some really good books written by women, most of which from the past. Rose Wilder Lane wrote a really good book around 1943 about liberty. But modern books I tend to write off if a woman is the author.

One way to tell is if the first and middle name are initials. For some reason, women authors will do that, I guess to disguise the fact that they're women.

I've read plenty of decent books by women, but I generally ask myself "What could a woman teach me on this subject?" I also check reviews extensively, looking for comprehensive reviews from people who have obviously read the book.

Don't agree.

Margaret Atwood is an awesome writer who is a woman and *gasp* a feminist.

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.

I'd say, overall I prefer male writers. However, Ayn Rand has written some of the best contemporary literature known:

Atlas Shrugged
The Fountainhead

Red pill stuff too.

- One planet orbiting a star. Billions of stars in the galaxy. Billions of galaxies in the universe. Approach.

#BallsWin

Relationship and psychology advice written by women usually sucks; it's written from a woman's POV and usually all about 'hearts and flowers', 'accepting people', etc

The jist of it from what I've got is that it usually offers little in the way of real self improvement and just focuses on vapid concepts like "accepting people for who they are" or "loving yourself" - which sounds nice in romantic comedy but is the polar opposite of real life advice that's designed to actually help people do better rather than just "feel good" about themselves

There a couple of good non-fiction writers, namely Doris Kearns Goodwin and Barbara Tuchman.

J.K. Rowling probably is the greatest female novelist ever. Whatever you may think of Harry Potter, those books are superbly written.

Try Barbara Tuchman. You'll have to be into history, but she's an excellent history writer.

I've read A Distant Mirror as well as The March of Folly. The first gave me excellent insight into what happened around the time of the black plague preceding the Renaissance. The second gave a fantastic refresher on The Catholic Church/Schism/Reformation, The Revolutionary War, and Vietnam.

I'll second robreke for Ayn Rand. She gets a lot of hate, but her description of masculinity, feminine desire to be dominated, as well as man's agency being the most powerful force of nature is difficult to discount for its importance.

I've tried reading Camillia Paglia. She's extremely interesting, but also verbose. Entertaining. However, she reminds me of a very intelligent meth addict rambling quasi-coherent thoughts against cultural decline, feminism, and the weaker sex.

Quote: (01-26-2016 09:59 PM)philosophical_recovery Wrote:  

Try Barbara Tuchman. You'll have to be into history, but she's an excellent history writer.

She is indeed an excellent history writer. I've also been meaning to get to Veronica Wedgwood's book on the Thirty Years War, which is reputed to be among the better works on the conflict. Good female historians may be considerably rare, but they're there.

Jane Austen was a brilliant author.

This one doesn't suck. Far from it.

Mozart and Me

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSft5JqT5RfpabQxgSVxc...z8e2uGVd99]

Agatha Christie?

But women should stick to fiction.

Not all books written by women are like that. Jackie Collins for one. I have even heard that the real author of Shakespeare's work was a woman.

Don't debate me.

Quote: (01-26-2016 08:19 PM)Jones Wrote:  

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. Great book, one of my favourite novels.

Although some say it wasn't (at least, entirely) written her.

It wasn't. It was basically unpublishable until her husband, the much more talented poet Percy Bysshe Shelley, heavily edited it.

Remissas, discite, vivet.
God save us from people who mean well. -storm

This thread turned out to be a real eye opener for me. I've been an avid reader and collector of books for years, since long before I discovered this forum or the red pill. I decided to go check out my library and see which books by women stood out to me as good reading.

I have many, many books. A room full of bookshelves and another of boxes, with a system that basically works like this; Whenever I read something, if I think I may want to read it again or use it for future reference I put it on the bookshelf. If not, I put it in a box to sell/give away.

Of the hundreds, possibly thousands of books on the shelves, only a handful were written or co-written by women, and all of these are very similar in nature. They were all written in the early 1900s by women who lived genuinely hard lives in the Australian bush. They are true tales of survival.

Of the thousands of books I own, there are no more than two or three by women that I would want to re-read, yet if I was asked to recall the very worst books I have ever read in my life...Well, you guessed it.

Statistically speaking, I stand by OP's analysis.

Quote: (01-19-2016 11:26 PM)ordinaryleastsquared Wrote:  
I stand by my analysis.

Not all women are poor writers, especially classics. A lot of the authors I wanted to comment on have already been mentioned so no need to bring it up further.

OP, you want fireplace worthy books, check out these two:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Their_Eyes...tching_God
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Awaken...pin_novel)

I've noticed this trend before too, but as others have pointed out, there are quite a few exceptions, so it's best to remain somewhat receptive to the possibility of a book by a woman being good.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

George Elliot's The Mill on the Floss is one of the most touching, subtle, perceptive and witty books it has ever been my pleasure to read. There are fewer female authors worthy of note, and I think women are perhaps less inclined to great art than men, but the best of them can hold their own in the most exalted company.

I won't say books by women suck, exactly, but they rarely appeal to me. (I'm mostly talking about fiction here.) I think I'm simply not in the intended audience. I can only take so much internal monologue about shit only women care about.

Quote: (01-26-2016 09:54 PM)TigerMandingo Wrote:  

There a couple of good non-fiction writers, namely Doris Kearns Goodwin and Barbara Tuchman.

J.K. Rowling probably is the greatest female novelist ever. Whatever you may think of Harry Potter, those books are superbly written.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. She's a great storyteller, but I wouldn't say the books are particularly well written. Not that they're badly written or anything. Just my opinion though.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H L Mencken

I'd say the explanation, and we've talked about this already a few times on this forum, is to be found in the different distribution of skill and intelligence in men and women.
Men tend to fall into the extreme ends of the scale more often, while women hover around the average middle. So men are more likely to be of outstanding intelligence and skill, but also more likely to lack those. Consequently, there are a lot more brilliant male writers than female ones.
Note that there are female ones, just not nearly as many.

Women also tend to live relatively sheltered lifes compared to men, which gives them less noteworthy experiences and valuable insights, which is often the requirement and inspiration for producing great literature.

Nowadays however it is much easier to publish literary work.
Thanks to technological progress the entry barriers are a lot lower and having a pussy pass is always helpful, all leading to less rigorous standards being applied.

Also, as more women than ever are literate and reading, the market for books by female writers is larger than ever. Unsurprisingly, female writers tend to write books intended for a female audience, and women love to read books by other women, especially about their life experience, real or perceived hardships of being a woman, etc., all things which they can easily relate to.
Objective quality is of lesser concern, and not even needed to make a profit. It's called chick crack for a reason.

This leads to a bulge of average books being written by average writers for an audience of average tastes. Why, because $$$.

Thus it is more likely that a book written by a female author will be of average or lower quality. Male ones of the same quality will probably not be published, due to more talented competition and less likely profitability.

Quote: (01-27-2016 08:36 AM)Celtic_Austrian Wrote:  

I'd say the explanation, and we've talked about this already a few times on this forum, is to be found in the different distribution of skill and intelligence in men and women.
Men tend to fall into the extreme ends of the scale more often, while women hover around the average middle. So men are more likely to be of outstanding intelligence and skill, but also more likely to lack those. Consequently, there are a lot more brilliant male writers than female ones.
Note that there are female ones, just not nearly as many.

Women also tend to live relatively sheltered lifes compared to men, which gives them less noteworthy experiences and valuable insights, which is often the requirement and inspiration for producing great literature.

Nowadays however it is much easier to publish literary work.
Thanks to technological progress the entry barriers are a lot lower and having a pussy pass is always helpful, all leading to less rigorous standards being applied.

Also, as more women than ever are literate and reading, the market for books by female writers is larger than ever. Unsurprisingly, female writers tend to write books intended for a female audience, and women love to read books by other women, especially about their life experience, real or perceived hardships of being a woman, etc., all things which they can easily relate to.
Objective quality is of lesser concern, and not even needed to make a profit. It's called chick crack for a reason.

This leads to a bulge of average books being written by average writers for an audience of average tastes. Why, because $$$.

Thus it is more likely that a book written by a female author will be of average or lower quality. Male ones of the same quality will probably not be published, due to more talented competition and less likely profitability.

I don't think leading a sheltered life leads to a lesser quality work, but many works by sheltered women have been rather solipsistic. Take Emily Dickinson or Sylvia Plath as examples. Wouldn't want to read their stuff for "fun" but rather to try to figure out what the hell smart chicks moving toward the right of the bell curve think about.

My personal experience of a lifetime of interacting with women is that, for all their talking, they are simply bad communicators and story tellers. They are bad communicators because they can't or don't discern which parts of the message or story are important and which aren't. I'll give you a professional example.

I have a reputation at work for sourcing hard to find materials. While I don't work directly in that part of the business anymore I'm still asked occasionally to help find something when an old supplier dries up on us. I received a rather lengthy email from a female co-worker requesting this assistance earlier this month. The first 3 to 4 paragraphs detailed at length all the trouble she went through to try to get the current supplier to cough up more of the product, the internal discussion that her team (which is entirely female in composition, we call it the Drama Factory) had been having as they were running low on the product (including ofc why this was No Ones Fault) and a few leads they had tried that had gone nowhere. This email was about 10 paragraphs long and took a while to read.

Nowhere in this entire message was the actual product ever identified, even once. There was not even enough off hand information to make an educated guess, except that it was an input for one of their products, which narrows it down to about 25 items. She did include every team members opinions on how they ran out so much faster than they anticipated and how this was definitely Not Their Fault.

When I replied that she had not actually included anywhere in that wall of text what the product they asked me to source was, her reply?

"I must have!"

Eventually I got the name of the material out of her and found in in about 5 minutes using nothing but Google. Its a 3M product that is part of their standard offerings, not even special order. Their re-seller ran out, that's all that happened.

Ayn Rand
Simone Weil
Willa Cather

also, have never read but many trustworthy people have said the Brontes and George Elliot.