rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Traveling gets old??

Traveling gets old??

Like all thing in life we humans eventually get tired of everything. At what point does it happen when you don't receive the same pleasure from things that used to make you happy, in this case traveling to various foreign countries where odds of getting quality notches are in your favor compared to home turf.
I have been traveling overseas for 9 yeas now(mostly asia and SA) and I can tell you from my experience that these things dont excite me as much as I they used to.
Banging quality young chicks is fun, no doubt, but when you think about these girls you have to realize most these women who sleep with foreigner on a first or second date are slutty or loose. Morally they are not any different to local western women you find in your town or city, yes they are much more pleasant and feminine but still very loose to be considered dating or marriage material.
I don't think i banged single foreign women where i was her first foreigner, they always seem to have western exes, facebook friends, contacts in whatapp.
You might feel good about yourself thinking your game is good but remember they play the game too and maybe they play it more effectively than us

Do you eventually get bored of it and wanna settle with someone? What is endgame?

Traveling gets old??

Quote:Roosh Wrote:

"Finding yourself" through casual relationships, hedonism, nomadic travel, and severing of family bonds causes you to lose yourself instead.

Source: https://mobile.twitter.com/rooshv/status...2592413696

Traveling gets old??

Quote: (01-09-2016 08:57 AM)topdog Wrote:  

Quote:Roosh Wrote:

"Finding yourself" through casual relationships, hedonism, nomadic travel, and severing of family bonds causes you to lose yourself instead.

Source: https://mobile.twitter.com/rooshv/status...2592413696

As wisdomful as it might sound... I'm pretty sure that was a Aprils fools tweet

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Traveling gets old??

Eventually you will get bored of anything. That's life. Once we find that special someone, we'll eventually get bored of that too. Go back to playing the field, eventually you get bored. It's like a see-saw really. I think the only real peace is getting off the see-saw altogether, and I don't mean not being with women, just not seeing them as the answer.

Creating a life where you have enough leisure time to enjoy your hobbies, pursuits, and women is probably the best situation any man can ask for. The financial freedom to do that is not an easy thing to achieve.

Traveling gets old??

It can get less exciting, not necessarily boring. You can always go to new countries or even new areas of countries you've been. You can travel differently i.e. get an Airbnb apt for a month and stay in a big city like BKK or Rio instead of moving around. And let's be real: ppl aren't exactly doing anything back in their home countries. They work 9 to 5 or more as a corporate slave and go home and watch TV, maybe go to the gym. Maybe they hit a happy hour once a week. On the weekends they are going to Home Depot etc and meeting bitchy local girls who are all the same shit. That's the average life of most ppl. When ppl travel they expect it to be perfect for some reason, but even if it's only a 6 or 7 out of 10 it's still better than the 3 or 4 back home.

Traveling gets old??

There is no end-game, no settled state, in life. You always have to decide whether to keep doing what you're doing or do something new. We do that a bunch of times and then we die.

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

Traveling gets old??

Have you read Emerson's Self-Reliance?
http://www.emersoncentral.com/selfreliance.htm
If not, do a Ctrl-F for "travel"...

Quote: (01-09-2016 06:48 AM)Bananaman711 Wrote:  

Like all thing in life we humans eventually get tired of everything. At what point does it happen when you don't receive the same pleasure from things that used to make you happy, in this case traveling to various foreign countries where odds of getting quality notches are in your favor compared to home turf.
I have been traveling overseas for 9 yeas now(mostly asia and SA) and I can tell you from my experience that these things dont excite me as much as I they used to.
Banging quality young chicks is fun, no doubt, but when you think about these girls you have to realize most these women who sleep with foreigner on a first or second date are slutty or loose. Morally they are not any different to local western women you find in your town or city, yes they are much more pleasant and feminine but still very loose to be considered dating or marriage material.
I don't think i banged single foreign women where i was her first foreigner, they always seem to have western exes, facebook friends, contacts in whatapp.
You might feel good about yourself thinking your game is good but remember they play the game too and maybe they play it more effectively than us

Do you eventually get bored of it and wanna settle with someone? What is endgame?

Traveling gets old??

To the OP. The reply posters have got a point, in some ways there is no real end-game, the learning and lessons and struggle for newness will remain life-long... but I totally see where you're coming from. I've traveled a lot in the past decade, and the same experiences that would blow my mind years ago are now starting to get a bit stale. It's not the travel itself, but we see and experience so many amazing things that we become a little bit numb... and we have a state of mind that struggles to relate with the average lemming's mundane existence.

I would suggest setting up a second or third base in stepping into a new phase. Most people evolve from:
1. traveling fast because they want to see as much as possible,
2. then slow-travel or do stay-cations (i.e. a month of two in one place)
3. then becoming a global player by being truly "set-up" in 2 or more places i.e. planting flags... set up a business, quality friendships and connections in a place you deem worthy.

You have been to so many places so by now you'll have a strong opinion on where is the best for you. Go on one or two more big scouting trips and then settle down with a high calibre LTR and enjoy this chapter of your life. Don't meet this LTR in a big city, go to 2nd and 3rd tier cities, and do it via social circle and off the beaten path, that way there's a lower chance that she's had foreigner experience.

Traveling gets old??

It's far more likely that "staying still" will get old, in opposition to travel.

"Christian love bears evil, but it does not tolerate it. It does penance for the sins of others, but it is not broadminded about sin. Real love involves real hatred: whoever has lost the power of moral indignation and the urge to drive the sellers from temples has also lost a living, fervent love of Truth."

- Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Traveling gets old??

I can see where you are coming from.

To many, people seek travel as a way to change their perspective, but I've gone enough where its just something I do. Whenever I am about to embark on a journey, I have all kinds of annoying friends ask "are you excited/pumped" or when I get back are really curious how it was. I leave for two weeks and all of a sudden people want to get together one last time as if I'm going away for a year. It really isn't that big of a deal.

Its always the same: I had a good time, I see some new things, new experiences but I don't try to use travel to reinvent myself, find myself, or whatever the hell people do. I travel to try local foods, local culture, see some art I want to see, and hook up with girls from different cultures.

It really doesn't change me long term, its just a memory after I come back, its just an extension of life. Going to Europe or Asia isn't really that different for me now than going to Chicago or New York.

Traveling gets old??

The problem here isn't necessarily travel - the problem is motive and the way you spend the time.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with chasing tail in various places around the globe, but it shouldn't be your only purpose for traveling, and if it is, you're bound to start wanting more out of life.

The same is true if you stay back home - if all you do is spend time partying and having sex with shallow women from the local clubs, a point will come when you'll feel empty and unsatisfied by it all.

Sure, you can get burnt out by constantly being on the move or by having no home, but it doesn't sound to me like you've explored the possiblities abroad enough to reach that point yet. Maybe instead of seeing it as a choice between travel and settling in you should consider that it might be time for a personal evolution.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Traveling gets old??

Travel certainly gets old. Once one's routine sets in, settings and sights and surroundings seem to pass by almost like props on a stage. Over sustained periods, my travel tends to become more efficient and less poetic, but still enjoyable.

Long-term travel is still a very worthy pursuit. The road, though, will change you and your expectations, and what would have been a stunning experience after one week of travel might appear average after two months. Slowing down the pace and getting used to a place interspersed with a faster journeying tempo has helped me deal with "travel fatigue". Also, if you have time and safety isn't a concern, travel without guidebooks, that way you'll find more surprises along your path.

Also, concerning the pace of travel in general, there's no shame in going fast or slow, it depends on one's preference and their goals (and money). Do you want to see a ton of great sights and places, or would you rather get to know a certain city or region in depth? There's no one answer.

Traveling gets old??

Travel does not get old.

The people that you meet on your travels, however, and their knowledge/intelligence of the world, reduces relative to your experience, and that is what gets old.

When I was 19 and first moved to Hong Kong, everyone was a mentor to me. If he was 21, 25, 33, expat or local, I could learn something from them. There were even country names I could not pronounce, and the bits of insight provided by even the dumbest drunken douchbags were of fascinating use to me. However, nowadays I struggle to find even the 1% who is more intelligent than me, forcing me to hang out with entrepreneurs who have lived in a multitude of countries in order for me to grow at all. Which is not a bad thing, except you spend a lot of time weeding people out.

Or, perhaps I'm the only one here who travels only to grow / optimize my life back home >_> It depends on what your goals are, but if life optimization is your goal, it only gets old in the sense I described above. Otherwise, you are doing something wrong.

The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary.
DATASHEETS: Singapore (2014) | Vietnam (2015) | Cebu (2015) | Honolulu (2016) | Couchsurfing (2016) | KS, Taiwan (2018)
BTC: 1MoAetVtsmM48mkRx66Z9gYkBZGzqepGb5

Traveling gets old??

I'm in Colombia now, and I'm having a super time. But yeah, it's not the wonderland it was the first time. Was "Jaws" as good the second time you watched it? Things wear out with time.

Traveling gets old??

Quote: (01-12-2016 04:54 AM)Cyclone Wrote:  

Travel does not get old.

The people that you meet on your travels, however, and their knowledge/intelligence of the world, reduces relative to your experience, and that is what gets old.

When I was 19 and first moved to Hong Kong, everyone was a mentor to me. If he was 21, 25, 33, expat or local, I could learn something from them. There were even country names I could not pronounce, and the bits of insight provided by even the dumbest drunken douchbags were of fascinating use to me. However, nowadays I struggle to find even the 1% who is more intelligent than me, forcing me to hang out with entrepreneurs who have lived in a multitude of countries in order for me to grow at all. Which is not a bad thing, except you spend a lot of time weeding people out.

Or, perhaps I'm the only one here who travels only to grow / optimize my life back home >_> It depends on what your goals are, but if life optimization is your goal, it only gets old in the sense I described above. Otherwise, you are doing something wrong.

Sounds like we should be amigos. I pretty much feel the same way, but it's not the easiest to find others in that 1% since we're busy.

Traveling gets old??

Quote: (01-13-2016 02:05 PM)natas305 Wrote:  

Sounds like we should be amigos. I pretty much feel the same way, but it's not the easiest to find others in that 1% since we're busy.

Well, there are ways such as going to online expat meetups (internations, couchsurfing, maybe even meetup.com) where you can find well-traveled men to connect / get business ideas with. But yes it does depend how busy you are and no matter what it'd take months on end...

The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary.
DATASHEETS: Singapore (2014) | Vietnam (2015) | Cebu (2015) | Honolulu (2016) | Couchsurfing (2016) | KS, Taiwan (2018)
BTC: 1MoAetVtsmM48mkRx66Z9gYkBZGzqepGb5

Traveling gets old??

Yep, much of life as we get older is just chasing the dragon. Here's Roosh's take on the matter. [Image: blush.gif]

Traveling gets old??

Quote: (01-13-2016 11:47 AM)BrewDog Wrote:  

I'm in Colombia now, and I'm having a super time. But yeah, it's not the wonderland it was the first time. Was "Jaws" as good the second time you watched it? Things wear out with time.

There's a difference, though, and it's so glaringly obvious it shouldn't even need mention.

"Jaws" is a two-hour and ten minute movie that never once strays from the exact same plot and dialouge every single time you watch it.

The ENTIRE WORLD on the other hand, is so vast and diverse you could spend an entire lifetime checking out a small region of it and still not see everything worth seeing - and definitely not do everything worth doing.

Back the OP, I'll reiterate that it's very clear why he's bored with his experiences. He's living the same shallow experience out over and over again and expecting something to change. At best, it's a recipe for boredrom and dissatisfaction. Or at worst - as a wise man was once rumoured saying, it may even be the definition of insanity.

Here's the OP again for emphasis.

Can you not see his problem written right there in his words? His problem is that his whole focus in his wanderings is women. And the worst kind of women. I mean, I don't even travel for the women, and yet I still find it ludicrous this man has been traveling for 9 years and not once been with a girl who hasn't been with a foreigner before.

Even if women was your sole focus in travel - and again, it need not be - this is silly and a stark proof that OP is doing even his own particular brand of traveling wrong.

I would even venture to say that, judging by the singleminded nature of his post, OP is not even trying.

Considering that he doesn't even bother mentioning any other aspect of travel, your metaphor is apt; he is essentially watching the same movie over and over again - your error, however, is insinuating that need apply to everyone's travels.

If travel to you is is going to various cities around the planet to have sex with easy girls and go to clubs, or to go from reggae bar to reggae bar in various tourist areas, or to lie on similar-looking lawn chairs on a scattering of white sand resort beaches, sure, it is the same experience over and over again and sure to lose its allure.

The same may be true of the typical pattern of going to new places and checking off all the most popular local tourist sites one by one, even though that at least offers variety.

But there's no reason why you can't change the way you travel and your why as you age. First off, travel in itself should not be thought of as a hobby - that may be enough at first, but eventually, it's a backdrop to an infinite number of actual real-world interests.

Start chasing these interests around the globe instead of the destinations.

As of now, I have no real specific interest except that I'm endlessly fascinated by the variations between human cultures, and personally, that in itself serves as an endless point of exploration for me. I studied this stuff in school and don't think it'll ever get old. I can go to any city on Earth and post up on a random corner and just sit around and marvel at the slightest dynamics that many people seem to miss.

As I said in another thread once:

Quote:Quote:

[...] you've probably played video games where you can just wander the city and you want to peek into every corner and talk with every person and try to open every door just to see what's there - to me, that's every city on Earth, and how could that be boring or lonely or leave room for depression? Why not the very city you're in right now?

And I could dig back into the literature on cultural anthropology at any time to open up a million new doorways. Or even local books in any specific destination. The variety of cultures in a place as overdone even as Thailand, for example, is simply staggering.

But even if that grew boring in itself, I can think of countless other fascinations that are interesting enough to keep me wandering around the planet - or what is more likely for me, rooting myself down in various destinations and digging in for a long period of time.

Is that trying too hard? Should you have to constantly evolve your hobbies and interests to keep travel exciting?

To me, that's looking it all wrong.

The truth is you have to constantly evolve your interests to keep LIFE exciting whether you travel or not. Travel is just a vehicle for doing that because it puts so much more possibility in your lap. I mean, are all your friends who are back home working regular jobs and never going anywhere living excited, inspired lives? Aside from the most interesting, most are probably not, and it isn't because they aren't traveling either.

My point is that if you're bored, you'll be bored, whether you travel or not, and travel is not the problem.

On top of that, the constant novelty stretches your experience of time and in a way thus prolongs your life on Earth. To me, this is the most underestimated benefit to the lifetime of novel experiences offered by global travel.

If Colombia has grown drab to you, the simple temporary fix is just go somewhere else.

Or hell, take a break for a while and focus on a more stationary lifestyle choice. Everyone thirsts for stability and roots at times.

But comparing the endless opportunities created by world travel to a 2-hour movie is a gross error in perspective.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Traveling gets old??

This is a great thread for me, as I think of this topic often. My perspective is a little different. I discovered South America (Colombia) about 8 years ago and travel 2-3 times per year. It is my plan to retire there. I have worked all my life, was married for a long time and raised a family. Now, I look forward to travel during the last phase of my life. Even at my age (60), I can bang beautiful ladies in South America with ease. I also like the lifestyle and cost of living. Where I want to relocate, I can live in high style for around $36,000 per year.

During my adult life, I have made several major moves. In each situation, I thought the place I would move to was the greatest place on earth. For the first 5 years or so, I would love everything about it. Then after a while, things become "normal". After about 10 years or so, you are sick of the place.

So, I fear that after 5-10 years of retirement in paradise I will get bored and will be looking for a new place to live. I have also seen that many older expats tend to drink and drug too much. I do see some older guys who get involved in helping the poor and others who become well integrated into the society and have a LTR or marry one of those beauties.

Regardless, I really dont have an option. The choices for women in my age range in the USA are abysmal. I am one of those guys who enjoys having a LTR and marriage. It can be very good for a man to have a good woman in his life.

Traveling gets old??

I have travelled to countries like Belgium, Spain, Holland, Ireland, Wales, Iran, Dubai, Turkey, France but all with my family and some when I was only 6-7 years old. I would like to experience it differently either on my own (freedom) or with a group of friends (lads holiday)

Traveling gets old??

What is endgame?

If you want to answer this question, imagine being beyond the 'endgame' -- at the very end itself. Then, you may find the answers you've been hiding from yourself emerge bright and clear.

The following is an excerpt from the book '100 ways to motivate yourself'.

Quote:Quote:

1. Get on your deathbed
A number of years ago when I was working with psychotherapist
Devers Branden, she put me through her "deathbed" exercise.
I was asked to clearly imagine myself lying on my own deathbed, and to
fully realize the feelings connected with dying and saying good-bye.
Then she asked me to mentally invite the people in my life who were
important to me to visit my bedside, one at a time. As I visualized each
friend and relative coming in to visit me, I had to speak to them out
loud. I had to say to them what I wanted them to know as I was dying.
As I spoke to each person, I could feel my voice breaking. Somehow I
couldn't help breaking down. My eyes were filled with tears. I
experienced such a sense of loss. It was not my own life I was
mourning; it was the love I was losing. To be more exact, it was a
communication of love that had never been there.
During this difficult exercise, I really got to see how much I'd left out of
my life. How many wonderful feelings I had about my children, for
example, that I'd never explicitly expressed.

At the end of the exercise, I was an emotional mess. I had rarely cried
that hard in my life. But when those emotions cleared, a wonderful
thing happened. I was clear. I knew what was really important, and who
really mattered to me. I understood for the first time what George
Patton meant when he said, "Death can be more exciting than life."
From that day on I vowed not to leave anything to chance. I made up
my mind never to leave anything unsaid. I wanted to live as if I might
die any moment. The entire experience altered the way I've related to
people ever since. And the great point of the exercise wasn't lost on me:
We don't have to wait until we're actually near death to receive these
benefits of being mortal. We can create the experience anytime we
want.
A few years later when my mother lay dying in a hospital in Tucson, I
rushed to her side to hold her hand and repeat to her all the love and
gratitude I felt for who she had been for me. When she finally died, my
grieving was very intense, but very short. In a matter of days I felt that
everything great about my mother had entered into me and would live
there as a loving spirit forever.
A year and a half before my father's death, I began to send him letters
and poems about his contribution to my life. He lived his last months
and died in the grip of chronic illness, so communicating and getting
through to him in person wasn't always easy. But I always felt good that
he had those letters and poems to read. Once he called me after I'd sent
him a Father's Day poem, and he said, "Hey, I guess I wasn't such a bad
father after all."
Poet William Blake warned us about keeping our thoughts locked up
until we die. "When thought is closed in caves," he wrote, "then love will show its roots in deepest hell."
Pretending you aren't going to die is detrimental to your enjoyment of
life. It is detrimental in the same way that it would be detrimental for a
basketball player to pretend there was no end to the game he was
playing. That player would reduce his intensity, adopt a lazy playing
style, and, of course, end up not having any fun at all. Without an end,
there is no game. Without being conscious of death, you can't be fully
aware of the gift of life.
Yet many of us (including myself) keep pretending that our life's game
will have no end. We keep planning to do great things some day when
we feel like it. We assign our goals and dreams to that imaginary island
in the sea that Denis Waitley calls "Someday Isle." We find ourselves
saying, "Someday I'll do this," and "Someday I'll do that."
Confronting our own death doesn't have to wait until we run out of life.
In fact, being able to vividly imagine our last hours on our deathbed
creates a paradoxical sensation: the feeling of being born all over
again—the first step to fearless self-motivation. "People living deeply,"
wrote poet and diarist Anaïs Nin, "have no fear of death."
And as Bob Dylan has sung, "He who is not busy being born is busy
dying."

Traveling gets old??

Like all thing in life we humans eventually get tired of everything. [...]
Good topic to reflect about. After a little more than a decade of very intense traveling to 27 countries on three continents, I am starting to get a little tired of it as well. Part of it I contribute to the fact that in most countries, tourism really exploded in the past 10 years when it comes to the sheer number of tourists, which has all the negative side effects like crowded squares, city centres, sights, restaurants and so on, and local people (and especially girls) totally used to masses of foreigers wanting to hook up with them. That's not the only point of course, there still are hidden gems in many European countries that don't see a lot of tourism, though there are a little less of these spots every year.

I think the main problem is that, like all other things in life, traveling at some point loses its fascination, its first-time experience feel, its mysticism when you do it on a regular basis. At some point every airport looks the same, flying becomes as usual like taking the city bus, you see a lot of resemblances and identical elements in cities and countries of the same cultural/architectural background, it's just like comparing driving a car for the first time at the age of 18 and doing it on a daily basis for your commute at the age of 30.

The problem is not travel itself. In a settled life with 9-to-5-job, a permanent city of residence which is often enough your birthplace or at least in the same country you were born is, as many or most of us will probably life, traveling is still one of the nicest, most diversified and individual things to do with so much for all your senses to check out, in fact for me as an early-thirty-something who is really bored by the everyday routine of job, commute and so on, traveling is probably the only thing in life that really still puts some life energy into me.

What I see now, in my circle of friends who are all male early-thirty-something business professionals, there are two groups right now: the ones who already married and settle down with their wife and have kids and devote all their life to family and kids, and the other half which is single or in a LTR but unmarried, who one-by-one start to get really bored with life and wonder how to fill this emty spot inside themselves that gets nagging more and more when you have everything and can't think of anything more to introduce into your life.

Traveling gets old??

Quote: (01-19-2016 12:32 PM)goldenhinde Wrote:  

Like all thing in life we humans eventually get tired of everything. [...]
Good topic to reflect about. After a little more than a decade of very intense traveling to 27 countries on three continents, I am starting to get a little tired of it as well. Part of it I contribute to the fact that in most countries, tourism really exploded in the past 10 years when it comes to the sheer number of tourists, which has all the negative side effects like crowded squares, city centres, sights, restaurants and so on, and local people (and especially girls) totally used to masses of foreigers wanting to hook up with them. That's not the only point of course, there still are hidden gems in many European countries that don't see a lot of tourism, though there are a little less of these spots every year.

I think the main problem is that, like all other things in life, traveling at some point loses its fascination, its first-time experience feel, its mysticism when you do it on a regular basis. At some point every airport looks the same, flying becomes as usual like taking the city bus, you see a lot of resemblances and identical elements in cities and countries of the same cultural/architectural background, it's just like comparing driving a car for the first time at the age of 18 and doing it on a daily basis for your commute at the age of 30.

The problem is not travel itself. In a settled life with 9-to-5-job, a permanent city of residence which is often enough your birthplace or at least in the same country you were born is, as many or most of us will probably life, traveling is still one of the nicest, most diversified and individual things to do with so much for all your senses to check out, in fact for me as an early-thirty-something who is really bored by the everyday routine of job, commute and so on, traveling is probably the only thing in life that really still puts some life energy into me.

What I see now, in my circle of friends who are all male early-thirty-something business professionals, there are two groups right now: the ones who already married and settle down with their wife and have kids and devote all their life to family and kids, and the other half which is single or in a LTR but unmarried, who one-by-one start to get really bored with life and wonder how to fill this emty spot inside themselves that gets nagging more and more when you have everything and can't think of anything more to introduce into your life.

Yea I get what you say, Some of these destinations are permanently ruined by foreigners, to be honest i cant stand seeing too many obnoxious westerners when i am abroad, they have this unique ability to destroy the place no matter where they go, this is especially true for Anglos(brits,aussies, americans).
Explosion of internet and traveling over the past 10 years has had negative effect on local female population and how they respond to us.
At this pace we have about 10 years before everything equalizes in terms of women all over the planet, by 2030 exotic western men factor will be history.

Traveling gets old??

The error is in believing that any one aspect of life will permanently satisfy you. There is no end-game..

Traveling gets old??

I've been thinking about this recently. It's amazing to go to different places, see different cultures, learn different languages, meet different people...but at the end of the day, you fly back home, back to your same normal life, and you had your experiences abroad and away - it's enriching, you should definitely travel, but again at the end of the day, you go back home.