rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

2nd Tier France - It's worth a longer stay ?
nd Tier France - It's worth a longer stay ?
I could spend sometime in France during my EU journey,It would be great to get some impressions about the country,girls and specially 2nd Tier Cities that I could Stay for 1 month learning French. Or Should I skip a long stay in France?

Off course I'll deliver strong datasheets with Video/Photo of the places I go.

For now this are the places I'm already decided to visit during my stay.

Sweden - Gothenburg
UK - London + 2nd Tier (maybe Notthingham)

My Profile:
Fair Skinned Latin -Dark Hair
25 yr old

Objectives:
Learn new languages
Study/cultural opportunities
Swoop
Swoop
Swoop

Chicks need to be on rotation like a Netflix queue
Lyon is full of hot easychicks
Mr.GM -

Aren't you Brazilian?

Do you surf?
Quote: (06-29-2011 12:53 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Mr.GM -

Aren't you Brazilian?

Do you surf?

First question: Yes, I am.
Used to surf a bit when younger , but as I'm living far from the beach and working like crazy for the last years it's been a while since. But definetely wouldn't hurt to be located in a dope surf spot.

"Lyon is full of hot easychicks"

Pacman, could you elaborate on your experience a lil bit ?I've thought about Lyon , will be great to hear some info.

Well I'll let the other member tell us more about his experience in Lyon [Image: wink.gif]

So! If you decide to go then you might consider Strasbourg too. I'm mentioning Strasbourg because you wrote that you're Latin and being a Mediterranean looking guy from southern France myself I've always noticed that those fair-skinned girls from Alsace had a soft spot for guys with a tan. You can take the high-speed train in Paris and be there 2h30 later. The city in itself is great as there're lots of things to do and the architecture is amazing. A lot of people from various European countries too.

In the northern part of the country there's the Lille urban area. I've never been there personnally (I'll be there in two weeks for a wedding actually) but it shouldn't be too hard for an experienced traveller/player. People from the North are known for being easy-going and warm and I can say that's true as all those I've met were fun to be with. I have a crebidle friend who studied there and he was doing very good with girls. There are a lot of smaller towns around Lille that were thriving coal production centers until thirty years ago and have turned into depressing, pauperized shitholes since. I guess girls would litterrally jump on any stylish foreigner there. I can't comment on the quality of girls though. You'd probably see a lot of people from polish and italian descent if that gives you an idea.

If you're interested in a more refined experience then Bordeaux might be for you. The historical center is awesome and it's an important tourist destination. A lot of people from all over the world come here to see the wine estates located all over the region. I've already been there twice in the summer and I remember seeing loads of cuties shopping along the main commercial arteries in the downtown. There's also a small pretty island 200kms north of Bordeaux which attracts a lot of upper-class Parisians in the summer... more and more commoners with each passing year though. It's definitely worth-seeing if you're in the region during the summer vacations.

In the South there's Marseille and Aix-en-Provence which I like. Aix is a posh university town and has a bourgeois vibe to it but people are friendly and will be eager to meet strangers as long as they don't look like total losers. Actually since girls form the majority of university students the ratios should be favourable in any college town. However most people will probably look like you in Southern France so you won't be able to rely on your sole look and exotic value to score. Montpellier could qualify in the South too.

Another tip that could come in handy if you were to stay in a place with a noticeable African/Carribean community. French dudes don't even look at black/métis ('mixed', it's a colonial term, I don't know how to say it in English) girls. Don't ask me why, I just don't know the answer. Unless the girl is a real head turner they just won't notice her. So in some places black girls are dying for attention. That's especially true in 3rd-tier cities.

Well there's a saying here in France which is like 'Paris and the French desert'... and it's quite relevant as far as economics are concerned. But it doesn't apply to chicks imho. Don't forget most of us live in medium-sized towns as we only have six urban areas that barely exceed a population of one million (Paris included). Feminine girls are everywhere but there are obviously more sluts in the big urban centers.

Overall I think that you can have a great time if you go to the right places at the right time of the year. French girls aren't particularly hard and are quite open-minded. There's no doubt you'll get approached occasionnally if you're classy and look confident and if you're in the right venues. Remember that the vast majority of the male population only get laid through social circle.

Oh yeah that's important by the way. Befriend a few cool guys and have them introduce you to their friends. Being a foreigner will help if you play it right, as quite a lot of people (especially the young ones) tend to be (rightly) self-depreciating towards their own country here. Openning will be definitely easier too. We're a multicultural country so you'll meet people with different backgrounds but if you're from a place that is labelled as cool and exotic you'll get a little bonus (the american continent, Australia, Pacific islands...). I'd say Brazil has a quite positive image so that's good. Being a Brazilian who can speak French with a strong melodious accent would be a big bonus.

I'll be glad to help if someone needs more information and if someone has visited the cities I mentioned recently any correction is welcomed. What a great forum by the way [Image: tongue.gif]
Quote: (06-29-2011 12:45 PM)Pacman Wrote:  

Do they speak English?
Quote: (06-29-2011 05:03 PM)oldnemesis Wrote:  

Quote: (06-29-2011 12:45 PM)Pacman Wrote:  

Do they speak English?

That's a very interesting topic. Thanks a lot for bringing it up. I'm also waiting for Pacman's impressions as a foreigner in Lyon.

On university campuses I'd hazard that roughly 60% of the students can have a basic conversation in English. I mean they understand English enough to be able to socialize with other English speakers. Understanding non-native English speaker is easier because they use words from a more limited vocabulary pool.

However bear in mind that a lot of people aren't confident at all with their English so if you approach them in the street in English they might panic and pretend they don't understand because they're shy to speak English in front of the passer-bys. This is due to the fact that the French school system is extremely demanding and make students feel ashamed of themselves for making mistakes. But it's another story.

To give you a very rough idea a survey taken by the French Market Research Institute in 2011 has shown that 40% of those questioned (all aged at least 18) judged their English to be « good » while 42% of them declared it was « quite bad ». Only 18% said their English was « very bad » to the point of hindering effective communication.

http://www.ifop.com/media/poll/1525-1-study_file.pdf

There are almost 130000 university students in Lyon. It's the second largest urban area in the country and one could argue that it's more than a mere tier two ctiy. If you can't find English speakers there, I don't know where you'll find them to be honest. I currently live in a university town of 150000 in a rural area and most of my friends are conversational in English. They don't master the language perfectly (but who really does in continental Europe anyway... apart from the English-speaking expatriates ?), have a noticeable accent and make mistakes but they know enough to make themselves understood for sure.

Contrary to what most anglo-saxons tend to think, a large portion of the french youth is actually fascinated by the culture of the English-speaking countries. You should take advantage of it.

People over 30 are different though. When they grew up the Anglo-Saxon media and pop culture weren't as prevalent as they are today and fewer people went to high-school. I think it'll be hard to find a lot of English speakers outside of Paris in this particular age group.

The language barrier isn't as impeding as it used to be but it's still a problem. Not everyone will be able to speak English especially outside of town centers. The lack and misuse of vocabulary will be the biggest obstacle you'll face when dealing with French people.

Sorry for being so long-winded [Image: icon_redface.gif]
You want to surf and check out all the cuties,be in Biarritz during August.
You won't be disappointed..stay at hostels,hotels or camping...take your pick.

Then you can go down the coast into Spain for San Sebastian .
And there's also a 5 day long street party in Bayonne in late July if someone is interested. Google "fêtes de Bayonne". There are similar parties all over southern France but some of them are just drinking sessions of no interest.

As far as other regions are concerned in early september there's a huge street market in Lille. It's one of the biggest gathering in Europe. There's also a great celtic festival in Lorient, Brittany in August. I was mentioning Aix-en-Provence earlier but I forgot to add that there's a famous arts festival in Avignon (about 100kms north of Marseille) in July. There're a lot of street performances.

Those events drain masses of visitors.
Wow, thank you guys for the info.It seems that early September will be the possible time for me.

I have 0 French skills,I will study by myself in July and August to try to have at least a basic conversational level.But my Idea is to stay 1 month studying there anyway.
Biarritz seems great but isn't dead after august?If the answer is yes, It's a deal breaker for me.

Tresor where in France do you live man? +1 for your info.
Don't wait for the other guy to break down Lyon, It would be great to hear your report as well!

Like I said in my trip till now there are only 2 "sure" locations that I must go : UK and Sweden. I'm looking for a 3rd and 4th country to stay , France seems great.

Tresor great info, also one of my favourites datasheets here so far.

Tresor in your opinion what is the easiest city in France to fuck? I dont mean the one with the hottest chicks, i mean one where chicks are easy to fuck..what is your one?
Thank you guys. I'm just trying to help. I've noticed that there were few discussions related to France here so I've thought it'd be a good idea to go into the details.

Quote:Quote:

Wow, thank you guys for the info.It seems that early September will be the possible time for me.

Good. Definitely one of the best time of the year as far as the weather is concerned. In September most vacation spots and beach towns will be really quiet or worse... they'll be filled with seniors from Belgium and Netherlands travelling in RVs. So unless you have a fetish for grannies those aren't the places you want to go to in September. In general people gradually go back to their hometown after August 15/20.

I have 0 French skills,I will study by myself in July and August to try to have at least a basic conversational level.But my Idea is to stay 1 month studying there anyway.

Since French and Portuguese are closely related languages you shouldn't have too much difficulties. I mean if you study seriously and regularly you'll manage to reach a very strong intermediate level in two or three months.

I was thinking that if your main targets are college students one of the best thing to do would be to pick up girls in the universities. You can also hang out in parks, coffee shops and bookshops around the campus just like in any other country of course. But gaming inside the universities is an option you should consider. Be warned though that some universities are pretty dirty not to say crumbling.

Anyone can enter the campuses because most of the time there's no control. If someone ask what you're doing you can always pretend that you're taking French classes or anything. They'll only check your student identity card if you want to borrow books or use the computers. With a bit of luck you could even have your lunch in the university cafeterias without showing a student card (the meals only cost 3 euros).

Honestly girls are rarely approached by strangers on campuses. In four years I've only seen one dude approach a set of two girls between two lectures and he had no game. So girls end up fantasizing about their lecturers or rugby players they meet on weekday parties. Ah, the biggest parties are held on thursday nights in general. A lot of students go back to their parents' home for the weekend.

The majors with more girls are psychology, languages, law, philosophy and art history so focus on the places where those subjets are taught. Business students are famous for being shallow party animals but most of the business schools are private so the entrance is restricted.

Tresor where in France do you live man? +1 for your info.

I'm in Clermont-Ferrand, 180kms West of Lyon. It's a cheap town and the nature is wonderful here. Plus we have a lot of foreign exchange students from China, Belarus and Spain and a huge Portuguese community. Tow days ago I even met an Estonian chick that came here to work... thank you Schengen [Image: banana.gif] But I wouldn't advise foreigners to stay here, they'd get bored after a week. There're more interesting places to see if it's your first time in France.

Tresor in your opinion what is the easiest city in France to fuck? I dont mean the one with the hottest chicks, i mean one where chicks are easy to fuck..what is your one?

Simple. Any tier two or even tier three city located in a mountainous or remote area. Places where the male competition is almost non-existant and girls don't see a lot of guys from world class international cities.

So there's the town where I currently live but also Besançon, Limoges, Saint-Etienne, Dijon, Brest, Tours. Grenoble and Le Mans too maybe. All those towns have a population of more than 120 000 and see few international tourists. There're universities in all of those towns too. English is less widespread in those places however.

But the difference in the ease of getting laid between those smaller cities and larger urban centers like Lyon, Marseille, Lille and Strasbourg won't be enormous I think. And if you have no luck with French girls it'll be easier to find backpackers to save your trip [Image: wink.gif]
tresor knows much more than me. but my 2cents:

4-tier France is still very much worth it. But whether or not it is the best place for you right now depends in part on your budget and mnay other things. if you are planning to spend a month at a language school you definitely want to figure out what kind of students predominate at that school and how much interaction the foreigners have w frenchies studying a foreign language.

marseille isn't the most visitor friendly in the sense that it is large so people drive rather than walk and also notorious for racial ghettos so another strike against street life. if you are going in september you want to be in a town w a university (or city if you want real '2nd tier') Aix or Montpellier should both be excellent. to my mind a place like biarritz would be best in august as it is a holiday town.

otherwise i think that strassbourg could be good as it is a euro city so girls from all over the ec. similarly lyon, ie lots of exchange students.
You're right when you point out that there are dangerous ghettos in Marseille... but there're also dangerous neighbourhoods in Lille, Lyon and Strasbourg.

Anyway, it's true that both Aix and Montpellier are better than Marseille. And if he ever chose Aix for example he could easily spend a weekend in Marseille.

I agree that Strasbourg and Lyon would be good choices.

Private language schools are expensive here. The language courses offered by the universities are cheaper but I doubt that you can just register for a month. A better option might be to set up language exchanges with a few girls.
First of all, I am french so I think I know what I m talking about:
most french girls suck at english, even the most educated ones
So IMO if you dont speak french, you d better be supa-good looking or italian (they LOVE those suckers) or black and classy

Biarritz: I have spend 7-8 summers with my crew there so I can tell you that it s fuckin dead after August...otherwise it used to be a very decent spot to pick up chicks but it s quite small: you have one decent disco there called "Le playboy"...the other one is located in spain in Irun "Jennifer"
Btw this could be outdated when it comes to club names it s been a few years since I ve been there...
Most of the chicks in btz are french btw...

Lyon:I ve been a student 2 years there and spent a lot of week ends there during 6 years. This town is amazing: I can not remember of even one week end where I was not closing a chick. We even had a contest with my friends about who would close the most WITHOUT even talking, just by dancing on the dancefloor. And ho yes I ve banged my first model in the toilets there lol...The girls are really cool there, not cliquy...quite unique spot in France...I dont know why but the mentality is special there

Strasbourg: I ve been a student 3 years there and my advice is forget it, it sucks...it s SUPA clique atmosphere, so if you re not connected like nuts you wont do anything there...but at the time I was there I had no game at all...at the time I was in Lyon as well btw, and now I have very little [Image: smile.gif])

That all guys, I ve only talked about the spots I know VERY well....if I were you I would spend September in a EE spot like Prague, Bucharest or Budapest...especially if you dont speak french
Quote: (06-30-2011 03:41 PM)Pacman Wrote:  

First of all, I am french so I think I know what I m talking about:
most french girls suck at english, even the most educated ones
So IMO if you dont speak french, you d better be supa-good looking or italian (they LOVE those suckers) or black and classy

Ok ,I have some questions for u guys:

1)It would be a good/possible strategy to stay 1 month studying in a cheap school in a cheaper city and then relocate to,lets say Lyon?Classes are really that expensive?(Don't need to pe private)
any sugestions?In London there is this Callam method schools , they are very cheap and have short - intensive english courses

2)Pacman said about pulling girls in clubs almost without speaking.For me this sounds like French Night Game(At least Lyon) is similar to Brazil's.Agressive approach would do well there?That could be excellent to keep chating to the minimum due to my lack of French.

I may to go EE later, but I'm not interested in France just to get pussy, It is a country that I've always wanted to visit.

How do French girls typically look?

Mr gm - a few people on this board have said French girls have a thing for Latinos. Good luck!
Awesome to see other Frenchies in here! Welcome Tresor and Pacman![Image: smile.gif]
Great data sheet on the 2nd tier cities Tresor!
Speaking of Biarritz, I used to go there in the 90's as I grew up in the region and each year, at the end of August, early September, one of the biggest surfing events of the international surf pro calendar was held in Biarritz. Is it still on nowadays? I remember back then when I was a teenager, it was filled with hot hot girls from all over Europe. I was too young to be into gaming at the time but I'd love to return there if not this year, next year for sure.

Cheers.
Nice report on Lyon Pacman. You confirmed what a friend of mine currently studying in Lyon told me. I like the idea of going direct on girls so I guess I should consider trying the nightlife there after this summer.

Your opinion on Strasbourg surprises me though. I actually thought girls were pretty open-minded there. Incidentally everytime that I'm approached by a girl here, she turns out to be from Alsace [Image: blush.gif]

Quote: (06-30-2011 06:56 PM)houston Wrote:  

How do French girls typically look?

There's a lot of diversity in looks. Browsing a few profiles on livemocha.com or any other social networking website will give you a basic idea of what to expect in France.

1)It would be a good/possible strategy to stay 1 month studying in a cheap school in a cheaper city and then relocate to,lets say Lyon?Classes are really that expensive?(Don't need to pe private)
any sugestions?In London there is this Callam method schools , they are very cheap and have short - intensive english courses

There's an Alliance Française branch in Lyon. According to their webiste the registration fee for a 1 month course (15h a week) is 406 euros.

http://en.aflyon.org/
Good to hear some civilized french are here [Image: smile.gif]

Vacancier Permanent: yup I was in btz in the 90s as well [Image: wink.gif]

Tresor: I agree: girls from Alsace in general are easy lays, but Strasbourg is a different game IMO

GM: man if you want to learn good french in one month...you d better work your ass off 16 hours a day...maybe you could use Rosetta Stone software...I ve tried it by myself to learn german and it s pretty good!
A friend of mine who speaks 12 languages (this bastard can speak to almost any chick in her native language, a huge DHV I can tell you) always learn through Rosetta Stone.

If you like aggressive direct game, welcome to Lyon my friend, we had a saying there with my friends: "If you have to talk to her, it s not good" [Image: smile.gif]
I was on holiday once near Montpellier and it was very impressive as well in terms of direct game effectiveness...the disco was calld "La nitro" but I ve been there just one summer 12 years ago, so this might be totally outdated...or not [Image: wink.gif]
Quote: (07-01-2011 12:11 PM)Pacman Wrote:  

I was on holiday once near Montpellier and it was very impressive as well in terms of direct game effectiveness...

I would be interested to hear more about Montpellier and the south of France, i.e. Perpignan, Marseille, Toulon, Nice etc.
Quote: (07-01-2011 08:01 AM)Tresor Wrote:  

There's an Alliance Française branch in Lyon. According to their webiste the registration fee for a 1 month course (15h a week) is 406 euros.

http://en.aflyon.org/

Thank you Tresor!Great School.I'm almost decided to go there.They have also good affordable accomodation.This is why I like this Forum So much.

Anyone else have experience in Lyon?

Mr G.M. if you're going to the UK I can give you the low down on many places. In terms of parties, Nottingham for it's size has great night-life. It's very student orientated. There are one or two foreigners on account of the student population but I guess you could be fairly exotic there. During term time i.e. September-July there you can pretty much party every night of the week.

I lived in Nottingham for 4 years when I studied there so I know it like the back of my hand. There is an old myth in England that the ratio here is more women to men, and in most cases it's true! It's not the most amazing city and you won't have any epiphanies or wow moments...but it could work. If you want a full break down on Nottingham let me know.
Quote: (07-02-2011 08:04 AM)dk902 Wrote:  

Mr G.M. if you're going to the UK I can give you the low down on many places. In terms of parties, Nottingham for it's size has great night-life. It's very student orientated. There are one or two foreigners on account of the student population but I guess you could be fairly exotic there. During term time i.e. September-July there you can pretty much party every night of the week.

I lived in Nottingham for 4 years when I studied there so I know it like the back of my hand. There is an old myth in England that the ratio here is more women to men, and in most cases it's true! It's not the most amazing city and you won't have any epiphanies or wow moments...but it could work. If you want a full break down on Nottingham let me know.

Hey Dk, please Break Down nottingham, I was thinking about going there but found some disturbing videos abouT the city.

Please check the "UK really sucks?" thread.

Maybe I was wrong thinking that nottingham is Chav territory.

I would love to read your info,I'll be the first to give +1.Tks bruv

@Mr. GM- The U.K. gets a bad rap round here. I've been to Belfast, London, Birmingham, Newcastle, and a few points in between, and would go back in a minute. I'm also interested in a breakdown on Nottingham.