rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Glaucoma

Glaucoma

I've been diagnosed with Glaucoma in the past couple of weeks. While rare for people before their 50's and 60's, anyone can be diagnosed.

In short, Glaucoma is the rise of inter-ocular pressure(IOP) inside of the eye. Usually over the course of a very long time period, greater than 25 years, this constant additional pressure destroys nerve endings in the retina. Many people equate Glaucoma and the resulting blindness for 'just getting old', however it is anything but that. It is fully treatable and livable if it's detected. The best analogy to describe Glaucoma is the sun setting in your vision over the course of 25-30 years. Much like it doesn't suddenly become dark over the course of an evening, extend that analogy out over 30 years. Most people that don't realize they're losing infinitesimal amounts of vision on a daily bases.

Glaucoma is asymptomatic in 90% of cases - luckily I am in the 10% who was symptomatic. About six weeks ago I began intermittently seeing halos out of my eyes - when stressed, after intense exercise, after a hot bath, sometimes for no particular reason at all. They would come and go, at one point I was nearly two weeks without the halos.

Conceding I needed to see a doctor about it after the halos came back after a two week absence, the doctor performed the initial eye test where they shoot a puff of air into your eyes and the reading came back that I did indeed have high IOP.

Since then I've been run through much more extensive tests which confirmed the diagnosis of open angle pigmentary glaucoma, I've been put on an eye drop, which I'll likely have to use twice a day for the rest of my life. Of particular note is that I will have to be very careful about the type of exercise I have to do - namely any exercise that drops my head below my heart.

Here's where I turn to you guys on the forum:

What additional medical advice do you guys have to share, specifically with pigmentary glaucoma? Foods? Supplements? Exercise regimens? Best practices?

I've read a consistent pattern of research suggesting that any sort of strenuous exercise is in fact very bad for those who have pigmentary glaucoma.

Does anyone else on the forum have glaucoma? What have your experiences been?

I've done significant reading in medical journals the past couple of weeks, but there is a dearth of actionable information available on the internet that goes beyond 'don't worry, you can do it!'

Glaucoma

I'm sure you'll get better advice but I'll give you my 2 cents.

First, I think this stresses the importance of yearly eye exams. My father just had his pressure checked in order to establish a baseline for the coming years. It's good that you went in and got checked.

Here is what I would do. I would get a juicer/blender and start blending carrots, kale and spinach. Carrot juice is good and I would try to have it as often as possible. Kale and Spinach also contain beneficial nutrients. You can add more stuff to your blend as you go but start with this and then build up.

Lutein with Zeaxanthin is also good for the eyes. Yes, you can get it in foods but you may find it beneficial to take a supplement. Jarrow puts out a good product on amazon.

I would look into the AREDS 2 formula. It was formulated for people with Macular Degeneration but it has a lot of good nutrients that are beneficial to the eyes. Be careful if you are taking additional supplements like a multivitamin when you start this because you can overdose on a certain vitamins which can lead to absorption issues of another. Too much zinc for example can impair copper absorption.

Ask your eye doctor before you would start any of this. I would hate to give you advice that makes your problem worse.

Lastly, maybe you could look into Apple Cider Vinegar. I hear it cures anything. [Image: smile.gif]

TLDR- look into blending carrots, AREDS 2, and Lutein with Zeaxanthin

Glaucoma

@OP: Here are a couple of links for your perusal just off the top of my head:

http://www.znaturalfoods.com/Glaucoma

I would look specifically at the Forskolii root powder and do some research into the role of Forskolin (it was also mentioned in the next link) as well as the information on bilberry extract powder (as opposed to bilberry powder).

Also:

http://www.earthclinic.com/cures/glaucoma.html

I was disappointed that there wasn't more here on glaucoma, but there are some ideas that may be worth looking into. Hope this helps.

Both of these sites more generally have been good resources for me for years.

Glaucoma

This is something I've been studying alot. There seems to be various times when your body actually produces more cortisol and adrenaline than it really should, and it results in high blood pressure. This high blood pressure is good when exercising but damaging if it like that all day every day. If you look up diabetes, cushing's syndrome(defect in the management of these hormones) or hyperthyroidism(excess production of thyroid hormones) you'll find glaucoma is a common symptom of these. So if you are a skinny hyper guy with this problem it may be hyperthyroidism. If you are overweight or high fasting glucose it could be diabetes. Treating hyperthyroidism is a little complicated. Diabetes I believe is mainly an excess of acid in the diet(you might try something as simple as drinking that alkaline water they sell now that has alot of potassium in it or try apple cider vinegar-its net effect is alkaline because after the CO2 in it is metabolized its alkaline).

That high intraoccular pressure is extremely important I had a friend who lost vision in one eye because his idiot doctor didn't give him a pill within 72 hours to reduce the pressure(at super high pressures it causes optic nerve damage).

Buy a home blood pressure monitor, so that you can see what is actually having positive effects on your numbers, and experiment. Your eyesight is too valuable to lose.

Glaucoma

Start smoking weed (srs).

If you don't like smoking, buy a vape for the best bang for your buck.

Other than that, it's good you caught it early!

Glaucoma

Quote: (12-22-2015 08:08 AM)slppryslp Wrote:  

Buy a home blood pressure monitor, so that you can see what is actually having positive effects on your numbers, and experiment.

Blood pressure has nothing to do with pressure of the clear fluid inside the eyeball. These are two different things.

Annual eye checkup is very important to detect glaucoma. Putting in eyedrops consistently is important as well.

Eye drops are pretty good; there are various brands if one doesn'twork. Lasersurgery (which makes one or moretiny holes in the eyeball to drain fluid ) are an option but laser is 1)expensive 2)surgery (I prefer eyedrops) and 3) needsto be done again after a few years.

Oh,and the eye drops workfine. The line that people need "medical" marijuana todeal with galucoma is bull.

Glaucoma

Quote: (12-22-2015 09:09 AM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

Start smoking weed (srs).

If you don't like smoking, buy a vape for the best bang for your buck.

Other than that, it's good you caught it early!

I'm not sure about the laws in the US but in Canada glaucoma patients are prescribed medical marijuana so it's something to look into, as The Beast mentioned, you don't necessarily have to smoke it if that's not your thing.

Glaucoma

Quote: (12-22-2015 02:13 PM)mammal Wrote:  

Quote: (12-22-2015 08:08 AM)slppryslp Wrote:  

Buy a home blood pressure monitor, so that you can see what is actually having positive effects on your numbers, and experiment.

Blood pressure has nothing to do with pressure of the clear fluid inside the eyeball. These are two different things.

Annual eye checkup is very important to detect glaucoma. Putting in eyedrops consistently is important as well.

Eye drops are pretty good; there are various brands if one doesn'twork. Lasersurgery (which makes one or moretiny holes in the eyeball to drain fluid ) are an option but laser is 1)expensive 2)surgery (I prefer eyedrops) and 3) needsto be done again after a few years.

Oh,and the eye drops workfine. The line that people need "medical" marijuana todeal with galucoma is bull.
Yes, there is.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1772559/

Glaucoma

Quote: (12-22-2015 01:06 AM)MiscBrah Wrote:  

First, I think this stresses the importance of yearly eye exams. My father just had his pressure checked in order to establish a baseline for the coming years. It's good that you went in and got checked.

Absolutely this.

I get my eyes checked yearly, without fail. It costs nearly $100, but that is so worth it for peace of mind.

My doctor says I don't need to get a checkup that often since I'm still "young" (once every 2 years is probably good enough he says) but fuck that. If there are any impending problems with my vision, I want to know as early as possible so I can avoid/correct them.

Imagine being told that you were on the verge of losing your eyesight. How much would you pay to correct that? $100 bucks a year is nothing now.

My friends and family shrug laughingly when I ask them when was the last time they had an eye exam and they reply 4-5 years. It's kind of infuriating that people don't take it as serious as they should.

Advice to you gents: If the last time you had an eye exam was over 2 years ago, GO BOOK AN EYE APPOINTMENT TOMORROW.