rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Advice For A Newbie

Advice For A Newbie

Hey Guys

Been lurking on the site a few days now - so happy I came across the site, enjoying reading through several threads has been eye opening.

In short, I am off to SA & CA for 6 months starting April 2012 - I know its a bit off yet but by reading all your tales I am chopping and changing my plans everytime I read something new.

Do you guys think it possible to start off in Argentina, then go up through Chile, Ecuador, Colombia - sidestep to Venezuela, and continue up through CA finishing in Mexico City (my cousin lives there). Personally I think that is way too much countries in 6 months - especially if I want to lay up in any particular place for a while.

Should I just stick to the north of SA - eg Colombia and Venezuela and then travel through CA ? Think this might be better but I would miss out on Peru & Argentina.

Of all countries I am positive I want to spend time in Col, Ven, El Sal & Honduras. No advice needed on Brazil, have been there 3 times and have 3 ex-girlfriends from there, worn that t-shirt. Any advice would be sweet.

First post done & dusted .....

Advice For A Newbie

Hmmm 6 months. Here is what id do

- Argentina - BsAs (2weeks)
- Peru - Lima & Cusco (1month)
- Colombia - Medellin, Bogota, & Cartagena (1month)
- Venezuela - Maraciabo & Merida (2 weeks)

This leaves you with 3 months to travel up through CA. Id hit all the main/cool spots on the way up

This is a pretty wild trip I just laid out. But if ur wanting to see/experience the most than this is the best bet imo.

Id skip Chile man. Nothing worth while there imo it would be cutting into alot better spots.

Advice For A Newbie

Wow - thanks for the quick reply Mr. Dash, I was hoping you would reply, as I see you are off to El Sal & Hon in August. Your route seems workable, and has got me thinking, couple of questions though ;

Why 1 month in Peru ? Is the game that good ? I am going overland all the way so can't really avoid Chile, maybe I should get a flight from BA to Lima ...... this cuts out Chile.

I think my biggest problem will be hooking up with a gal and falling for her ..... not wanting to leave. I'm at that age (mid 30s) when most men get broody for the stable life. TBH I wouldn't mind finding the one while I'm there ........

Advice For A Newbie

If you could id catch a flight from BsAs to Lima. Hell I would consider scratching BsAs all together and just doing Peru, Colombia, and Venezuela. You are GONNA love those countries if you are a stylish gringo, more time for them the better imo. You really need more than 1 month in Peru bc you will HAVE to leave Lima and go to Cusco and check out the ruins if you havent done soo already. And for your other question, the game is REAL good in Peru, Colombia, and Venezuela.

Revised trip My style/steez ovcourse [Image: smile.gif] In correct order

Cusco (2weeks)
Lima (3weeks)
Medellin (2weeks)
Bogota (1week)
Cartagena (1week)
Maraciabo (1week)
Merida (1week)
Panama City (2weeks)
Costa Rica (2weeks)
Nicaragua (2weeks)
Honduras (2weeks)
El Salvador (2weeks)
Guatemala ( 2weeks)

Then on to Mexico City.

**Id prob subtract 2 weeks from countries in CA (Guatemala & Honduras) and add them to 2 of the SA cities/countries.......

I cant even begin to tell you the amount of ass and overall fun this trip potentially has.

Advice For A Newbie

Mr.minibar,
spending 6 months in SA and avoiding Brasil is a travesty IMO. No country in LA can compare with it in terms of variety of things to do, places to see and people. Yes it's not as cheap as it used to be, but there's no place like Brasil in all of LA. You've been already 3 times in Brasil you say? Were these all in Rio? How about going to smaller and less touristy cities specially in Minas or the interior of SP? You'd have a blast.

Advice For A Newbie

VP,

He said he has been to Brasil 3 times already. No need for him to go back when he will greatly need that time for new countries and cities on this trip.

Advice For A Newbie

Dash,
I know and I mentioned that. He can go there for more and get to see other areas. Brasil is not a country, it's a continent with so much to offer that none of the other countries can even dream of. Yes I'm extremely biased towards Brasil and that's why I find it uncomprehensible that someone would spend 6 months in SA and skip Brasil. To me it doesn't make sense, but to each their own. Btw, whenever you can, go to Brasil and you'll forget the rest of LA...

Advice For A Newbie

@ VP

I would go back to Brasil just for the food - never mind the mulheres !! I have been to Rio, lived in Salvador for 3 months, been to other places too ...... i was with a girl from salvador for pretty much most of my time in Salvador, beautiful girl - lived in her room most of the time, she had cable in her room and her Mum cooked for me !! Great times - but she wasn't the one .... Work might take me back to Rio so I'll be back, but not this trip.

@ DG

Thanks for the info ! One also has to think about the sights .... and missing out on Patagonia might just come back to haunt me, but I realise doing too much will only drain me ....... maybe Lima is the place to start, it seems like a good country to start with for both the ladies and the sights. Or, could start the other way round in Mexico ..... also by sticking to these countries I won't have to bother with 'winter' clothing for the south of Argentina, making my backpack lighter.

Can't wait ...... haven't taken holidays for 2 years, I need to do a trip like this to get it out of my system ..... I really do not want to settle down with a broad from here (UK), where would the fun in that be. Nope .... I've experience the Latina Lovelies to ever go back, brown nipples over pink ones any day of the week !

Advice For A Newbie

Quote: (06-24-2011 12:42 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Dash,
I know and I mentioned that. He can go there for more and get to see other areas. Brasil is not a country, it's a continent with so much to offer that none of the other countries can even dream of. Yes I'm extremely biased towards Brasil and that's why I find it uncomprehensible that someone would spend 6 months in SA and skip Brasil. To me it doesn't make sense, but to each their own. Btw, whenever you can, go to Brasil and you'll forget the rest of LA...

Have you been to Goianas ? I met a dude who was with a chick from there (drop dead beautiful), she said that there are so many beauties in Goianas that are willing in able .........

The more you talk about Brasil, the more I want to go back !

Advice For A Newbie

Apologies .... typo .... should read 'willing and able'

Advice For A Newbie

Quote: (06-24-2011 12:42 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Dash,

Trust me I know. Brazil and its women is my favorite country bar none. I would also find it unacceptable for someone to do a SA tour and not include Brazil, but the OP has been numerous times soo he will need all the time he can muster for new countries and experiences on this trip.

For such a trip like this he really needs 7-8 months, but the itinerary I laid out can be done in 6 and still give you enough time to game and have fun.

Advice For A Newbie

not having been to most of those places personally I wouldn't presume to offer specific advise about what is or is not a 'must see'; but here is my 2 cents about travelling these days.

first, think about your budget and try to get an accurate sense what is going to be more or less expensive to do. also, unless you just like the idea of being on the road and nomadic, it really is worth basing yourself in a city for at least a month and then taking day/weekend trips from there. last, do i understand correctly that you plan on doing all your travelling over land - why? are there no budget airlines in south america?? oh yeah, one more thing: think about the weather and try to make sure you are in places at the right time of year. damn something else, take a tablet or a smartphone and figure out how to use it (relatively) cheaply throughout yr travels + pack lite (and not in a backpack).

often times the places that get talked up on here are not really tourist destinations per se. for instance, the little beach resort in ecuador where all the european-locals go. in my mind, you are going to get a lot more out of a place like this if you plan it as a short trip from a base and try to go w a group so you can roll up w some cred and some contacts.

for instance, i think that chile has a lot to offer. but if you aren't interested than definitely fly from bsas to lima (or quito).

if your cousin lives in mexico city i think it would be good to start there. get yr sea legs, exchange info w people who have just 'been there, done that' also there is tons to explore in mexico. you could even do guatemala as a side trip from mexico city.

its cool that you spent time in brazil, but why venezuala. its pretty dangerous these days. just go to miami for the women.

Advice For A Newbie

Quote:Quote:

do i understand correctly that you plan on doing all your travelling over land - why? are there no budget airlines in south america??

No there isn't any budget airlines in South America. Air travel costs a fortune and isn't worth it. He's got 6 months, he should travel overland as planned, it's the best way to travel and really see a country, flying from city to city is not very adventerous and it's great fun cruising through South America on the buses.

I was in South America for 5.5 months not so long ago and did it overland, I started in Rio and travelled overland right down through Brazil into Argentina, on to Chile, upwards into Bolivia, went right round Peru then flew back to Brazil for Carnival before going home. I got stuck in a few places, Rio for almost a month, SP for another, Buenos Aires for 2 weeks etc. Could have easily visited lost more places than I did, most people on simialr time scales to me managed to fit in Ecuador, Colombia, Uruguay etc.

My route went something like this Rio > Buzios > Rio > Paraty > Rio > Sao Paulo > Buenos Aires > Mendoza > Santiago > San Pedro De Atacama > Uyuni > Potosi > Sucre > La Paz > Copacobana > Isla De Sol > Cusco > Arequipa > Nazca > road tripped right up the coast of Peru stopping in tons of places on the coast including Huanchaco, Ica, Pisco Trujillo and more > Mancora > Lima then flight back to SP > Rio for Carnival.

Don't miss San Pedro De Atacama in Chile, there's so much amazing scenery round there from dried out salt lakes in the desert, salt water lakes, lunar valleys, geyzers etc then you can take off on a 3 day 4x4 adventure across the Bolivian salt flats which will blow your mind. Don't miss Machu Picchu in Peru, nor Lake Titikaka and the Nasca Lines, Igazu Falls in Brazil / Argentina, go down the mines in Potosi, Bolivia to see an actual working mines and toss some dynamite around with drunken, high miners, defo visit some Peruvian beach towns like Huanchaco and Mancora (especially here!). Go to La Paz and try and do the San Pedro prison tour if it's on and go to the worlds only cocaine bar, what a mad city. You could do all this easily within 4 months if you don't get stuck places, many people do much more. With 6 months Ecuador & Colombia are definitely possibly though trying to get Central America fittedm in would be difficult.

And for your other question, the game is REAL good in Peru, Colombia, and Venezuela.

You been to Peru or Venezuela or more speculation and basing this on other people's stories? I hate to keep pulling you up but I never know whether to take your reports on first hand experience or whether you're just going on what you've read online / a friend told you.

Having been to Peru I can give you some info on it, the locals like the white gringo and it's very easy to get laid. I used couchsurfing to my advantage a couple times to hook up with girls and pulled in clubs easily, as did anyone I was travelling with at the time. Girls are cute too IMO.

Brasil is not a country, it's a continent

Did you really mean to say Brazil is a continent or did you just try and express that it's a REALLY big country?

Id skip Chile man. Nothing worth while there imo it would be cutting into alot better spots.

Just really shows how little you know then really. Defo visit Chila for both the south and the north of the country, polar opposites but both incredible. Chicks are kind of cute too.

also, unless you just like the idea of being on the road and nomadic, it really is worth basing yourself in a city for at least a month and then taking day/weekend trips from there.

It's also more expensive to need to constantly keep returning to that city, plus you need to rent somewhere to stay or find somewhere to put your stuff when you're away on trips. Then you've got added costs of accomodation in the places you visit at the weekend. It makes more sense to just keep on moving.

pack lite (and not in a backpack).

Of course he's going to take a backpack. He's going backpacking for 6 months in South America and doing it overland, the easiest and most convenient thing by far is a backpack. Lugging a suitcase around doesn't make sense, much easier to be able to jump on public transport with your backpack and chuck it above your head or under the seat, take it in the back of taxis etc. Suitcases aren't as practical.

Advice For A Newbie

hi

Advice For A Newbie

Quote:gringo Wrote:

You been to Peru or Venezuela or more speculation and basing this on other people's stories? I hate to keep pulling you up but I never know whether to take your reports on first hand experience or whether you're just going on what you've read online / a friend told you.

Having been to Peru I can give you some info on it, the locals like the white gringo and it's very easy to get laid. I used couchsurfing to my advantage a couple times to hook up with girls and pulled in clubs easily, as did anyone I was travelling with at the time. Girls are cute too IMO.

OP was looking for advice and opinions which I gave him. I think we can let him decide as to which info to believe and not to believe. Anyone with a brain know white guys do well in Colombia, Venezuela, Peru, ect. Its like Thailand and p4p, common knowledge to a knowledgeable traveler. And dont worry about bringing me up, as I will always be right behind you [Image: smile.gif]

Quote:gringo Wrote:

Just really shows how little you know then really. Defo visit Chila for both the south and the north of the country, polar opposites but both incredible. Chicks are kind of cute too.

Here again this is MY opinion and advice to the OP. I wouldnt advise the OP to go to Chile on this trip due to time constraints alone. If he is looking for hot girls (please dont tell me the flat assed minimal style Chilean women compare to chicas from Colombia) His schedule is tight without Chile, how in the hell would he be able to do Chile on top of the other countries? Id have to assume you would want him to take out either Peru, Colombia, or Venezuela, in which id laugh at the thought. You tell him to visit BOTH the south and north then follow it up by saying the chicks are KINDA cute lmao! I mean fuck, if you are gonna tell the OP to go to Chile you better tell him of some sick ass cant miss tourist sight or experience.

You get an A for effort and persistence Gringo, I like that [Image: smile.gif]

Advice For A Newbie

Time constraints? He has 6 months. You're trying to explore Central America in 10 days! He's got plenty of time to do a great trip and see all the countries he mentioned. Plenty of other people manage it.

Yeah Dash he should visit both North & South Chile, South for Patagonia and North for San Pedro De Atacama (for the salt flats, geyzers, desert etc and the starting point for the 3 day 4x4 trip to Uyuni - 100% unmissable and a MUST for every visitor to South America) which I already mentioned. I added that the chicks were cute as an after thought. There's cute chicks everywhere in the world, there isn't Patagonia, salt lakes / flats etc everywhere in the world. This stuff is unmissable, we're talking unique, wonders of the natural world here that you might never get a chance to see again, this stuff might not even be here in 10 - 20 years time, the chicks still will be. And anyway he'll still have plenty of time for partying and chasing women.

Advice For A Newbie

Quote: (06-25-2011 08:48 AM)Gringo Wrote:  

Time constraints? He has 6 months. You're trying to explore Central America in 10 days! He's got plenty of time to do a great trip and see all the countries he mentioned. Plenty of other people manage it.

Yeah Dash he should visit both North & South Chile, South for Patagonia and North for San Pedro De Atacama (for the salt flats, geyzers, desert etc and the starting point for the 3 day 4x4 trip to Uyuni - 100% unmissable and a MUST for every visitor to South America) which I already mentioned. I added that the chicks were cute as an after thought. There's cute chicks everywhere in the world, there isn't Patagonia, salt lakes / flats etc everywhere in the world. This stuff is unmissable, we're talking unique, wonders of the natural world here that you might never get a chance to see again, this stuff might not even be here in 10 - 20 years time, the chicks still will be. And anyway he'll still have plenty of time for partying and chasing women.

Im actually only trying to see 3 countries (not sure u can even say countries more like 3 cities/things) and best believe if I had more time id take it. I would only advise short travel as a last option.

He has plenty of time huh? This itinerary is already WAY to much traveling. There is just no way to add in Chile and still see and enjoy this trip. He would be in a bus for half the damn trip. Hell he is already gonna be in a bus more than anyone can imagine. Im sure the OP knows what the deal is. There is a reason no one talks about Chile on this board. This isnt the ThornTree buddy! lol

Cusco (2weeks)
Lima (3weeks)
Medellin (2weeks)
Bogota (1week)
Cartagena (1week)
Maraciabo (1week)
Merida (1week)
Panama City (2weeks)
Costa Rica (2weeks)
Nicaragua (2weeks)
Honduras (2weeks)
El Salvador (2weeks)
Guatemala ( 2weeks)

Advice For A Newbie

Dash you've never done this trip or anything like it so your insight isn't worth much and that itinerary you've just posted is poor. You've pretty much missed out most of Latin Americas highlights. The OP will have to cut out Central America out of his trip to make it more realistic however IF he wants to see most of South America.

The OP has clearly said he wants to see the sights and places like Patagonia, he obviously isn't planning on spending 6 months solely to chase Latino women around so your itinerary probably isn't what he wants. Imagine travelling all the way overland to and throughout Peru and only going to Lima and Cusco, madness! Two weeks in Cusco would bore most people and 3 weeks in the dump that is Lima drive anyone mad.

He wouldn't be in a bus for half the trip, most long distance buses are overnight so you don't waste anytime really, you just sleep through it and arrive in your destination in the morning. Longest bus journey I had to take was 24hrs though that was the exception rather than the rule, others ranged from a couple hours to 12hrs or so overnight type journeys. The buses for the most part are OK, some are first class and absolute luxury.

Advice For A Newbie

Gringo,

Im sure the OP knows my itinerary is more geared towards women and fun as he has already read and seen alot of my posts. He knows what he is getting with me, soo no surprise there. With that said there is PLENTY of sight seeing to be done with my itinerary as there is cool things to see and do around most of those locations.

Like I said, let the OP decide and make up his mind for himself. If you want to contribute and give YOUR ADVICE than do that and try to restrain from attacking other posters opinions and advice unless you can PROVE what they said was a lie and misleading. Focus more of your efforts on contributing to the forum by dropping datasheets & trip reports on topics/places of interest. Gringo incase you havent noticed I just dropped a dope sheet on teaching in Colombia, and guess what i have NEVER taught one class much less in Colombia. Soo we can disregard your comment of "Dash you've never done this trip or anything like it so your insight isn't worth much". I guess my insight on ESL in Colombia isnt worth much huh? lmao

To the OP,

Come to think of it id scratch Honduras off the list. Only thing id advise you to see there is the Roatan Islands (sp?) Those 2 weeks could def be better used in SA imo.

Advice For A Newbie

Still doesn't change the fact that your suggesting he visits places you haven't even been to yourself. It doesn't hold any value and it IS misleading. From reading your posts all over the board I could quite easily assume you had travelled all over South America and Asia, had lived and worked in Colombia and South Korea...but none of that's true is it, you haven't done most of that yet. You've just read about in on the net or plan to do it.

Advice For A Newbie

I have never been to NYC, LA, or Miami. Where do you think I will recommend foriengers to visit in the US? North Carolina? Fuck no. Im gonna say go to NYC it is a sick diverse city with alot to offer. Or I will say go to Miami, awesome beaches, hot women, good nightlife ect. Your theory holds no weight or value. I already disproved that the the sheet on ESL in Colombia and that simple example above.

Like I said, focus on contributing the the forum aka getting those rep points up and less time focusing on other ppls opinions and advice

that will conclude this discussion...

Advice For A Newbie

@ Dash

I like the quote re Thorn Tree - that made me giggle.

@ Gringo

I really really appreciate your time & dedication regarding my itenary, I agree with everything you say however I would reserve those kind of trips / sights if I was with a girl and we were travelling together. As much as I would like to see all that SA has to offer in terms of natural beauty I am willing to side step some in order to concentrate on my main aim while in the Americas - to bang as many hotties as possible. Dash knows where I am coming from - before happening upon this wonderful site I was travelling to COL, VEN and PAN for sure - I was going to give each country a couple of months a piece but now after reading all the excellent reports I now have new destinations in mind - Peru & El Salvador being definates, obviously while I'm in all these countries I will be taking in the must see sights but as previously stated my MO is OPERATION CHO CHO.

@ Dash

If you had to pick - Mexico or Honduras ? I don't have to go to Mexico - my cousin is a she but she bats for the other team / putts from the rough so to speak, so mixing in her circles would only have me talking gay all night, maybe I'm wrong - her girlfriend may have a lot of cute straight friends, it would be a shame not to travel to Mexico City being as close as I would be, but Honduras is a lot closer and has good game .......

I know I'm 9 months away but fuck am I itching to get away ......

Advice For A Newbie

Quote: (06-25-2011 10:57 AM)mr.minibar Wrote:  

@ Dash

I like the quote re Thorn Tree - that made me giggle.

@ Gringo

I really really appreciate your time & dedication regarding my itenary, I agree with everything you say however I would reserve those kind of trips / sights if I was with a girl and we were travelling together. As much as I would like to see all that SA has to offer in terms of natural beauty I am willing to side step some in order to concentrate on my main aim while in the Americas - to bang as many hotties as possible. Dash knows where I am coming from - before happening upon this wonderful site I was travelling to COL, VEN and PAN for sure - I was going to give each country a couple of months a piece but now after reading all the excellent reports I now have new destinations in mind - Peru & El Salvador being definates, obviously while I'm in all these countries I will be taking in the must see sights but as previously stated my MO is OPERATION CHO CHO.

@ Dash

If you had to pick - Mexico or Honduras ? I don't have to go to Mexico - my cousin is a she but she bats for the other team / putts from the rough so to speak, so mixing in her circles would only have me talking gay all night, maybe I'm wrong - her girlfriend may have a lot of cute straight friends, it would be a shame not to travel to Mexico City being as close as I would be, but Honduras is a lot closer and has good game .......

I know I'm 9 months away but fuck am I itching to get away ......

Yea the ThorneTree was pretty good. Gringo sorta left himself open for that one! haha

I knew your focus was on ass and having a good time, hence ur on the RooshV travel forum and not Lonely Planet or Frommers. Gringo types without thinking most of time. Gotta excuse him.

I would def focus more on Mexico City or any other city than Honduras. Tegucigalpa is pretty rough and I dont say that lightly as I like the grittyness of CA/SA cities. It has NO hostels. You would have a better time in Peru or Colombia than Honduras imo. Dont get me wrong I think men showed explore and conquer EVERY city that lies within their accepted fuckability. ex I wouldnt go to Africa to swoop bc I dont like black chicks.

But you know what, Fuck it, I say go to Honduras and do the itinerary I laid out. You will be in the area so why not! Yea disregard the above paragraph, the trip provides soo much ass and fun that you dont need to takeout destinations for that. Get a taste of EVERYTHING!

Advice For A Newbie

I really really appreciate your time & dedication regarding my itenary, I agree with everything you say however I would reserve those kind of trips / sights if I was with a girl and we were travelling together. obviously while I'm in all these countries I will be taking in the must see sights

Well make your mind up, these places I'm talking about the nature etc ARE the must see sights. Why do you need a chick to be blown away and astounded by some of the most amazing sights in the world? It would be really sad to spend 6 months in South America and not even bother to see all these amazing places it has to offer, this is the reason people flock from all over the world to visit the place, genuine wonders of the modern and natural world and you're gonna spend that whole 6 months chasing women? There's women everywhere in the world, they are ten a penny. Don't get me wrong I love bedding exotic women as much as the next person and always make time for it when travelling but it's a total waste to go to South America JUST for women as lovely as they are. There's plenty of time to everything especially with 6 months. If you go to certain countries and don't get any luck (it's happened to many others) you're gonna be REALLY dissapointed, what a waste of time, money and energy. Patagonia, Salar De Uyuni, Igazu Falls. Machu Picchu etc aren't likely to dissapoint.

If you had to pick - Mexico or Honduras ?

I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't been to either. Have you Dash?

Advice For A Newbie

Minibar... understand that if you don't travel in the way that Gringo does then you're wrong and stupid. He has reached nirvanna while no one else has.

Thank God he takes breaks from experiencing enlightenment to grace us with his gentle wisdom!