rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Bulging biceps, big guns advance unhealthy masculinity

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/24488/

Quote:Quote:

‘Being emotional is manly in my opinion’

The size of G.I. Joe’s biceps and Arnold Schwarzenegger’s guns in the Terminator movies is proof that the dominant form of masculinity is out of control.

That message and similar ones were conveyed recently to students during Vanderbilt University’s “Healthy Masculinities Week,” organized by the Margaret Cuninggim Women’s Center. Attendance for students was optional.

The Vanderbilt week kicked off with a lecture by the first man to minor in women’s studies at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst, Jackson Katz. (His alma mater now offers a bachelor’s in women, gender and sexuality studies.)

The self-described “anti-sexist activist” and filmmaker said that sexual violence and domestic abuse are men’s issues and that men would “benefit tremendously from having this conversation.”

Katz founded a consulting firm that “provides gender violence prevention and leadership training to institutions in the public and private sectors” and has pioneered the use of bystander training in the U.S. military, according to his website.

At the event, Katz likened racism to sexism, and told students that “people interrupt other people when they make racist comments.” Therefore they should have the same mindset in response to sexist comments, Katz said.

But he backtracked during an audience question-and-answer session, admitting that sexist comments can be contextually appropriate in a humorous setting.

Hasta la vista, PC

Political correctness has value, Katz said. Supporters of presidential candidate Donald Trump say like they him for “not being politically correct,” but what they really mean is they like him “for saying racist and sexist comments,” Katz added.

Pop culture also has an insidious effect on masculinity, Katz continued, imploring the audience not to “check your brain and moral conscience when you go to the movies.”

He showed clips from his film Tough Guise, in which Katz claims “there has been a ratcheting up of what it takes to be considered menacing in the 1980s and 90s.”

As evidence, Katz noted that G.I. Joe’s biceps have gotten larger over the years and that Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone use bigger guns for their iconic roles as the Terminator and Rambo than did Humphrey Bogart in his 1930s and 1940s film roles.

“The three most destructive words that every man receives when he’s a boy is when he’s told to ‘be a man,’” former NFL player Joe Ehrmann says in the film. Now a minister, Ehrmann spoke on an all-male panel in 2013 titled “Breaking the Male Code,” which was organized by Vagina Monologues writer Eve Ensler.

What a load of crap.

Care to give us a breakdown that goes beyond "what a load of crap"? A little snippet of the article would be nice too as I try not to feed the clickbait.

10/14/15: The day I learned that convicted terrorists are treated with more human dignity than veterans.

Anyone have the picture of the author?

My guess is it's a rail thin mangina or a 500 lb hamuniverse.

1. Proclaim parodies of masculinity (action movies) as the "new masculine norm".
2. State that as a reason why men should turn into whiny pussies.
3. ????
4. Profit!

The guy who wrote that article seems like a real pudwack.

Guess he was the first dude to minor in "women's studies." Probably thought it would help him get laid.

Now he tries to kiss ass by writing books bashing masculinity, and how evil it is.

Guys like him are the reason why feminism has become so empowered.

I found it interesting that he blames the symptoms of the disease the disease itself. For example, he points out how toys like "GI Joe" have bigger biceps now then 40 years ago.

He mistakes this fact for what it is. As masculinity has declined in our society, it has become caricature-ized. Bigger toy biceps is not evidence of "patriarchy", but evidence of the exact opposite: the fact that masculinity has now become a fake, cartoonish exaggeration.

Where it has been removed and shamed from reality, it is now "safely" confined to fantasy, toys, and video games.

Under the logic of "the patriarchy and masculinity also hurts men" which feminists are fond of, this does make perfect sense.

But declining female happiness since liberation shows that just maybe their judgement is flawed.

Or perhaps they only say that so that they can demonize men while insisting that they're helping.

I've seen this a lot lately: feminists claiming that our society is overly masculine and needs to be "corrected", or more of the feminine side needs to be heard.

Down is up, left is right, blue is red.

Sometimes I think we should just have a 'feminist bullshit' thread, to which all these articles are restricted.

Quote: (10-05-2015 11:48 PM)Quintus Curtius Wrote:  

Guess he was the first dude to minor in "women's studies." Probably thought it would help him get laid.

Now he tries to kiss ass by writing books bashing masculinity, and how evil it is.

Guys like him are the reason why feminism has become so empowered.

QC on point as usual.

In fact, just before checking this thread, I posted similar thoughts in the "Gone Girl" movie thread:

thread-41240...pid1125407

Well, that 'masculinity' is so unhealthy that in the year I have been training so far (and I am very far from looking significantly impressive - yet), I have managed to increase the IOIs I receive from women by 200+% (subjective measurement). Not to count significantly more positive reactions during interaction.

This idiocy stems from moronic, culturally marxist definitions of masculinity. For the twats, manginas and feminazis masculinity should be what furthers their ideology. And since that ideology trives only (literally) on the backs of weak, humiliated, pseudocuckolded (sometimes actually cuckolded) men, this is what they preach.

True masculinity is complementary to true femininity - it is what non-toxic and non-culturally poisoned women actually desire and what allows and spurs them to be good wives and mothers.
Physicallity is definitely part of it. The bodybuilder look - not so much. But still it is better than being a fat couch potato.

Darn. I only glanced at the thread title and was hoping it was about how to get huge biceps.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

pudwack.

pudwack.

[Image: laugh3.gif]

I think I could use some more unhealthy masculinity in my life.

I'm the King of Beijing!

Should've worked the biceps at the gym yesterday. [Image: dodgy.gif]

Read my Latest at Return of Kings: 11 Lessons in Leadership from Julius Caesar
My Blog | Twitter

Seems like lifting is coming under attack?

Quote:Quote:

Wimps are 'stronger than bodybuilders', study finds

A gram of bodybuilders' muscle is less powerful than the same amount of tissue from someone who did not weight train, tests show

Wimps might have the last laugh on gym-obsessed hunks - gram-for-gram, bodybuilders' muscles are weaker than those of people who never touch weights, research has shown.
Scientists found that bodybuilders had extraordinarily large muscle fibres capable of generating forces far greater than normal for an average human.
Yet tests showed that a gram of their muscle was less powerful than the same amount of tissue from someone who did not weight train.
Lead scientist Professor Hans Degens, from Manchester Metropolitan University, said: ''Most of us are impressed by the enormous muscle bulk of bodybuilders and think that these people must be extremely strong, like the 'Incredible Hulk'.

''The surprising thing, however, was that a gram of muscle from bodybuilders produced less force than that from non-bodybuilders, and it thus seems that the 'muscle quality' is less in bodybuilders.
''It appears that excessive muscle growth may have detrimental effects on the quality of the muscle, and one may well be better off with normal-sized muscles than with metabolically expensive large muscles.''
Bodybuilders are only strong because they have so much muscle mass - enough to compensate for the weakness of each gram, the research suggests.

''We had no indication that the proteins generating force - muscle motor proteins - work less in bodybuilders, but it could be that they have fewer motor proteins per gram muscle,'' Prof Degens added.
''It would be interesting to see what aspect in the training of bodybuilders causes this decrease in muscle quality.''
The scientists, whose findings are reported in the journal Experimental Physiology, took small muscle samples from the thighs of 12 male bodybuilders, six power athletes such as sprinters, and 14 men who were physically active but did not weight train.

Individual muscle fibres were isolated and tested to see how fast and powerfully they contracted. The results of these experiments allowed the team to make an assessment of muscle quality.
In contrast to bodybuilders, power athletes appeared to have an improved level of muscle quality, the researchers found.
''The training method seems to have an impact on muscle quality, which is of great importance for trainers and coaches interested in improving either performance or appearance of athletes,'' said Prof Degens.

Men don't define what masculinity is. Masculinity is defined by who the women are fucking right now.

I'm the King of Beijing!

The article above is easily debunked by anyone who understands math.

In one sentence, my muscle fibers are 1.1 times stronger than AnonymousBosch's, but he has three times the volume of muscle fibers; hence Bosch is almost three times stronger than me, despite the stronger gram for gram capacity of my muscle fibers.

I've heard of vanity sizing with regard to women's clothing, and this is vanity science with regard to malex mascularity (and masculinity).

Quote: (10-05-2015 11:10 PM)flightofdeath Wrote:  

“The three most destructive words that every man receives when he’s a boy is when he’s told to ‘be a man,’” former NFL player Joe Ehrmann says in the film.

Typical.

First round NFL pick in the 70s, 12 year pro football career. Uber masculine, high testosterone, no doubt had women all over the country who've enjoyed the fruits of his masculinity.

Finds Jesus, finds another way of making himself relevant. Now he goes around telling men to be pussies, to put their heads down and slouch their shoulders and cry and talk about their emotions. Meanwhile he's the guy standing up front *leading* them to do that.

He's developed a following of men...and chics dig it.

Game recognized.

“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”

Does this look like unhealthy masculinity to you???? NO it looks BADASS
[Image: NS00lW6.gif]

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

^^^^^^^^^^
I concur

[Image: DILLON_predator.gif]

"You either build or destroy,where you come from?"

Quote: (10-06-2015 09:42 AM)Cr33pin Wrote:  

Does this look like unhealthy masculinity to you???? NO it looks BADASS
[Image: NS00lW6.gif]

Bullshit Cr33pin! This here is what healthy masculinity looks like.

[Image: nerd-buff.jpg]

@Suits:

Heheh...yeah, "Pudwack" is an old word...haven't used it in ages, but it fits here.

I'm going to make a prediction right now, and it's about weightlifting and gyms.

Expect gyms and lifting weights to be the next target for SJW and feminist attack. They're going to target them as another center of masculinity and male improvement.

Expect to see efforts to push this agenda:

1. Cameras in gyms to make women feel "safe"

2. Shaming of muscular guys

3. Intense promotion of pussified fitness activities like "spinning" and Zumba.

4. Female-friendly policies at gyms that marginalize men and pedestalize women.

Quote: (10-05-2015 11:36 PM)eatthishomie Wrote:  

Anyone have the picture of the author?

My guess is it's a rail thin mangina or a 500 lb hamuniverse.

Here he is. It's not quite what I expected.

[Image: 6621_dailyd.jpg]

Quote: (10-06-2015 10:00 AM)Quintus Curtius Wrote:  

@Suits:

Heheh...yeah, "Pudwack" is an old word...haven't used it in ages, but it fits here.

I'm going to make a prediction right now, and it's about weightlifting and gyms.

Thought they already started attacking it with those "Planet Fitness" rules. There really isn't much else they can do about smaller gyms or home weights. It's not like they're going to outlaw bicep circumference to body weight ratios.

"A stripper last night brought up "Rich Dad Poor Dad" when I mentioned, "Think and Grow Rich""

I have a very simple heuristic I follow in life: Do I want to look/be/act like this person who is giving me advice?

It's not fool-proof but I essentially ask that question before I take advice from someone and apply it. It's served me well. Judging by the writer's style he's nothing like the sort of man I envision (and work towards) myself becoming, so I will safely disregard his points. Done.

That said, who really gives a shit what society at large thinks of masculinity? At the end of the day, in their heart of hearts, these beta dudes know they're weak and they wonder why what they're doing never works.

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.

I actually think American steroid use in sports and cinema is a big problem in raising expectations for women above what is normal. Bodybuilding is a sign of the times, women being clearly the choosing sex.

I lift and have for years, but lets be honest about it, we shouldn't have to obsess over fat percentage or bicep size to gain an edge. They don't have to in Asia, our grandfathers didn't have to. I think lifting is very healthy in the modern age for men anyway, but American media presents an entirely false reality as to what a muscular healthy male looks like.

Also, last same of writer is Katz. It's gotten so bad these days, whenever you read an outrageous attack on masculinity or white men, 99% of the time you know which tribe the writer belongs to.