rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

SJW's are trying to change the way we play Baseball (culture clash in MLB)

Social Justice Warriors are at it again, only this time they are trying to infiltrate a century old game so dear to Americans, baseball.

Over the last 20 years there has been an influx of players from Latin America hailing from places like Mexico, Venezuela, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Panama, Cuba and among other places.

This has created a culture clash with the American players who by and large have unwritten rules on how to play the game of baseball.

Here are the unwritten rules.

1. Don't steal bases when greatly ahead. It is seeing as disrespectful.

2. If a pitcher hits a teammate, hit one of theirs.

3. Don't see or admire a home run. It is seeing as classless.

4. Don't step on the pitcher's mound.

5. Don't step on the batter's box when the pitcher is warming up.

6. Don't bunt to break up a no hitter. It's seen as disrespectful.

7. Don't step in front of umpire or catcher on way to batter's box.

8. Don't flip the bat when you make a homerun. Its seen classless.

9. Don't steal 3rd base when there's two outs already.

These are unwritten rules dating back to the late 1800s and breaking them is a form of disrespect.

What's occurring now is that this new influx of Latin players who don't know these rules or who never grew up with these rules are breaking them at an alarming rate causing fights and clashes between teams.

According to a USA TODAY Sports study of 67 bench-clearing incidents in Major League Baseball over the past five seasons found the main antagonists hailed from different ethnic backgrounds in 87% of the cases. Meaning White Americans fighting Latino players and vice-versa.

[Image: brian-mccann-carlos-gomez-e1443634083379...343&crop=1]

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2015/09/30/majo...hnicities/

Quote:Quote:

A scene from the Texas Rangers’ clubhouse at Oakland's Coliseum last week neatly captured the blending of cultures that’s so prevalent in baseball.

As Shin-Soo Choo highlights flashed on a TV screen, a group of seven Latin players sitting around a table – some born in the U.S., others abroad – howled in delight while the Korean outfielder yelled “take that’’ in Spanish at the sight of every line drive.

Baseball teams regularly bring together people from diverse backgrounds striving for a common cause, which in the best of circumstances results in the quintessential melting pot. But when the dynamic changes and the bonding element is replaced by the fire of competition, a different kind of brew arises and sometimes boils over.

A USA TODAY Sports study of 67 bench-clearing incidents in Major League Baseball over the past five seasons found the main antagonists hailed from different ethnic backgrounds in 87% of the cases.

Just more than half of them - 34 - pitted white Americans against foreign-born Latinos. Another four featured white Americans and U.S.-born Latinos.

The figures are startling in a sport where white Americans compose about 60-65% of the population. Based on Opening-day figures, most of the rest is made up of players born outside the U.S. (26.5%) – the vast majority from Latin countries – African Americans (8%) and an undetermined number of Latinos born on U.S. soil.

The season that will conclude Sunday has taken the squabbles to an even higher level, with all 16 bench-clearing instances pitting adversaries of different ethnicity. The Kansas City Royals were involved in four such episodes in the season’s first three weeks, and Dominican-born pitcher Yordano Ventura was a participant in three of them, against Mike Trout, Brett Lawrie (Canadian) and Adam Eaton.

Fritz Polite, former president of the North American Society for the Sociology of Sport and a consultant to the NFL, said that while the institutionalized aspects of baseball are still dominated by whites, the participants have changed.

“Whites still constitute the majority of the league, but there might be frictions with this slow tilt of percentages,’’ Polite said. “It’s not quite tilted yet, but it’s leaning that way.’’

Baseball confrontations often start with a hitter getting plunked, and though there may be several reasons for their high rate among different ethnic groups, many cases point to a culture clash. Baseball has long held to a tradition of unwritten rules of etiquette whose interpretation may vary, with factors such as age and country of origin as part of the mix.

How much is a hitter allowed to “pimp’’ or admire a home run? When is a bat-flip acceptable and when is it offensive? To what extent can a pitcher celebrate getting a big out? What’s the difference between rejoicing over a favorable play and showing up the other team? What kind of actions demand retaliation?

Nobody knows for sure, but there are consequences – typically in the form of a fastball to the ribs or a hard slide – for those who break the code.

“With it being an unwritten rule, there’s unwritten definitions to a celebration or a taunt,’’ said well-traveled outfielder Jonny Gomes, now with the Royals. “It’s in the eye of the beholder.’’

And the application of the rules may depend on which uniform the supposed instigator wears. What irritates an opponents may be deemed amusing or colorful by a teammate.

Houston Astros outfielder Carlos Gomez, a main participant in four dugout-emptying episodes in the last three seasons, is beloved by teammates, who feed off his energy and all-out hustle and defend his right to express himself on the field.

Astros pitcher Dallas Keuchel calls him “personable and probably one of the better teammates I’ve seen.’’

Opponents, on the other hand, often get irked over Gomez’s flamboyant ways. Less than a month after joining the Astros via a July 30 trade with the Milwaukee Brewers, Gomez got into a yelling match with the New York Yankees dugout after displaying frustration over making an out in a blowout.

Gomez, a Dominican native, argues that he doesn’t try to disrespect opponents and notes that he never looks in their direction when celebrating a good deed. He’ll even tip his hat to an opposing pitcher who has done especially masterful work in getting him out.

“Why can a pitcher show you his emotions and you can’t show yours to him? Those are baseball rules from a different time,’’ Gomez told USA TODAY Sports in Spanish. “It gets to the point where, when you’re by yourself, you think, ‘What did I do? I didn’t do anything inappropriate.’ It’s a bit frustrating, because all I’ve ever done is play the game with passion, with desire, with love, giving it my all, and a lot of people take it the wrong way.’’

Count San Diego Padres pitcher Bud Norris among them. In a conversation about what’s proper on-field behavior and what’s not, Norris mentioned Gomez as a particularly egregious violator of the rules. While praising Gomez’s ability, Norris said some of his actions are disrespectful.

When told the large majority of the benches-clearing incidents involved players of different backgrounds, Norris nodded knowingly.

“I think it’s a culture shock,’’ Norris said. “This is America’s game. This is America’s pastime, and over the last 10-15 years we’ve seen a very big world influence in this game, which we as a union and as players appreciate. We’re opening this game to everyone that can play. However, if you’re going to come into our country and make our American dollars, you need to respect a game that has been here for over a hundred years, and I think sometimes that can be misconstrued. There are some players that have antics, that have done things over the years that we don’t necessarily agree with.

“I understand you want to say it’s a cultural thing or an upbringing thing. But by the time you get to the big leagues, you better have a pretty good understanding of what this league is and how long it’s been around.’’

After the episode in New York, Astros manager A.J. Hinch said baseball sometimes gets caught in between wanting to be entertaining and traditional. Those in the latter camp, often veteran players, usually feel compelled to play the role of rules police.

In his final season with the Atlanta Braves, in 2013, Yankees catcher Brian McCann twice confronted opposing players he felt had pimped a home run too much, once Gomez and once Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez.

San Francisco Giants left-hander Madison Bumgarner, only 26 but already a six-year veteran, has twice this season yelled at hitters – the Los Angeles Dodgers’ Alex Guerrero and the Texas Rangers’ Delino DeShields – simply for acting upset when they popped up against him. The incident with DeShields prompted the dugouts to empty, and Bumgarner wound up exchanging words with Rangers third baseman Adrian Beltre.

Alan Klein, a professor of sociology at Northeastern University in Boston who has written two books on Dominican baseball, said antagonism against a different ethnic group may be harbored within the clubhouse and come out against opponents on the field.

“I think that’s more likely to come from white players than from Latin players,’’ said Klein, speaking generally, not about any specific players. “There are white guys who celebrate exuberantly. But when the guy happens to have slightly darker skin, I think it becomes part of something larger. It’s not just a guy celebrating, it’s a Dominican celebrating.’’

While there’s a certain uniformity to the way the game is played in the U.S., the standards are quite different in other countries. In Korea, for example, bat-flipping is commonplace, without negative repercussions.

In Latin countries, the pros typically play more to the crowd, and actions that are often called “antics’’ in the U.S. are regarded as simply part of the show. Dominican-born reliever Fernando Abad of the Oakland Athletics said players often “dog’’ or taunt each other, but it’s considered fun, not disrespectful.

“Baseball back home is very different than here,’’ Abad said. “In Venezuela it’s the same as in the Dominican, where players gesticulate and point a lot. Fans expect it. They’re used to seeing the players do that. It’s part of the custom.’’

Rangers catcher Chris Gimenez, who has Spanish ancestry but was born and raised in Gilroy, Calif., just south of San Jose, said his experience playing winter ball in the DR and Venezuela was “an eye-opener.’’

The fervor and exuberance he saw made it clear baseball is more than just a game in those countries, and he developed an understanding of what it’s like to grow up in that kind of setting.

“In Latin American countries, baseball is your life,’’ said Gimenez, who does not speak Spanish. “There’s just a love and passion for that, and it shows on the field. To be able to see that and be immersed in the culture and witness it first-hand, it helps you to understand it. I feel like that’s why I have a little bit of a soft spot for it.’’

Gomez would like to hear more sympathetic voices like that, but he’s not about to change how he plays regardless. He might not have developed into a two-time All-Star otherwise. Gomez also points out Latin players are hardly the only ones who display boundless emotion.

AL MVP favorite Josh Donaldson of the Toronto Blue Jays, the A’s Lawrie and Cincinnati Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips stand out as players with a distinctive style. Not surprisingly, they’ve drawn the ire of opponents at times as well. Phillips was one of the main antagonists in the ugly brawls between the Reds and St. Louis Cardinals in August 2010.

Phillips didn’t get thrown at by a pitcher as part of that scuffle, which started when he and Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina exchanged words, but contends he’s a favorite target of opponents. Since his first season with Cincinnati in 2006, Phillips has been hit by 72 pitches, nearly twice as many as the closest Red.

“When they want to hit somebody on our team, they always want to hit me. I know that for a fact,’’ said Phillips, who is African American. “I don’t know why I’m always the one to get hit, but I take it as a compliment. But I don’t like getting hit. It sucks.’’

The purpose pitch remains the weapon of choice for laying down the laws of the game. Gomez, for example, believes it was no accident that lefty Paul Maholm hit him three times before their matchup of Sept. 25, 2013. When Gomez homered off Maholm in that game, he yelled at the pitcher as he rounded the bases, leading to the encounter with McCann.

Gomez defends his actions that day as taking out his frustrations for getting hit, and he says displays of flair and exhilaration have become more accepted over time. But he notes that players’ backgrounds do have an impact on how they approach the game.

The large majority of American players, he points out, have much better educational opportunities than their counterparts born in Latin countries, who often carry the economic survival of their families on their shoulders. That’s how Gomez felt when he first arrived in the U.S. in 2004 as a scared and homesick 18-year-old, desperately missing his relatives but knowing he had to forge ahead without them. That fuels some of the fire he plays with.

“We learn to play the game a different way than they do,’’ Gomez said. “They play the game by the book, and I don’t mean that as a criticism. We learn to play the game with our ability, with our passion. That’s the difference.’’

Examples of these forms of disrespect and breaking American baseball's unwritten rules.

Carlos Gomez flips the bat and watches his own home-run while showboating and talks trash while he runs the bases. Feud ensues.

Jose Fernandez admires and watches his own homerun, feud ensues.

Yanel Escobar steals 3rd base with 1 out left, feud ensues.

Carlos Gomez again, flips bat and gets mad at himself saying something in Spanish, infuriating the catcher and the Yankees coach.

ESPN First Take with Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless debate this topic. It seemed that they were trying to lecture us that we should just deal with it and take it because of the changing demographics.

They are not only changing our country, but our game as well.

Non story. Stop getting trolled.

Players of all races have been doing these things forever. And baseball has a way of dealing with it (just bean them the next at bat.)

Quote: (10-05-2015 05:21 PM)TornadoByProxy Wrote:  

Players of all races have been doing these things forever. And baseball has a way of dealing with it (just bean them the next at bat.)

True, it used to happen occasionally back in the day.

But it has escalated at an alarming rate in the past 10 years where its very frequently, and when the Latino players are 87% of the antagonists, that's a problem, for baseball fans and baseball overall.

Quote: (10-05-2015 05:36 PM)EL CHAPO Wrote:  

Quote: (10-05-2015 05:21 PM)TornadoByProxy Wrote:  

True, it used to happen occasionally back in the day.

But it has escalated at an alarming rate in the past 10 years where its very frequently, and when the Latino players are 87% of the antagonists, that's a problem, for baseball fans and baseball overall.

Is it really a "problem"? I also think this is a non story. I have been getting more into baseball this year since the Jays are doing well this year but some of those "rules" are just whatever. Who wouldn't wanna admire a home run sometimes? I am not saying the players should "break" these "rules" but I just don't see the big deal.

Also, I would bet you anything league office and the teams love it because it's stupid drama, the fans will love it and it might even help the ratings.

If anything drama like this might be just what baseball needs to get the 18-35 demographic more interested in the game. If I remember correctly baseball has the worst 18-35 (in terms of ratings and fan interest i.e.) participation out of the 4 major leagues in North America.

So the Latin players are making baseball watchable?

Quote: (10-05-2015 06:03 PM)aSimpNamedBrokeback Wrote:  

If anything, I think the influx of Latin players is the main reason why ratings for the sport has dropped.

Think about it. It used to be a white dominated sport, and all of a sudden in the past 15 years, MLB has brought an influx of Latin players which caused White Americans to stop watching.

More Latin foreigners, less ratings. The stats back it up. Ratings have dropped since the influx.

Quote: (10-05-2015 06:06 PM)EL CHAPO Wrote:  

If anything, I think the influx of Latin players is the main reason why ratings for the sport has dropped.

Think about it. It used to be a white dominated sport, and all of a sudden in the past 15 years, MLB has brought an influx of Latin players which caused White Americans to stop watching.

More Latin foreigners, less ratings. The stats back it up. Ratings have dropped since the influx.

Not really. Baseball still does pretty well with older viewers. They struggle with the 18-35 demographic. It's got more to do with the younger audiences not connecting to the game because it's considerably more boring compared to football, basketball and even hockey. It's also because the games can be longer than the other 3 leagues and smartphone obsessed millennials simply don't care as much for baseball.

In my opinion you're seeing connections between two things where there are none.

Race troll spotted, wait for further threads involving... you can guess.

Quote: (11-15-2014 09:06 AM)Little Dark Wrote:  
This thread is not going in the direction I was hoping for.

Carlos Gomez is a cunt. That said, anyone that has a problem with bat flipping after home runs is ridiculous. There are ways to show enthusiasm for the game that don't disrespect the other team, and anyone who isn't autistic can generally figure it out. The ones that don't get hit by a fastball. Easy.

Quote: (10-05-2015 06:06 PM)EL CHAPO Wrote:  

More Latin foreigners, less ratings.
The stats back it up. Ratings have dropped since the influx.

[Image: troll.gif]

Seriously this is a non issue and has been going on for years, people break unwritten rules all the time, not all of them end up with the benches clearing.

This article from last fall is an excellent reference on the history of the "death of baseball":

The Dead Ball Century

It makes for very instructive reading. Not a decade has passed for the last 150 YEARS in which experts, scribes, and even the players themselves would not shake their heads and proclaims that baseball was, subtly or not so subtly, in a state of decline and that something about its soul was being lost day by day.

Here are some sample quotes:

Somehow or other, they don’t play ball nowadays as they used to some eight or ten years ago. I don’t mean to say they don’t play it as well. … But I mean that they don’t play with the same kind of feelings or for the same objects they used to. … It appears to me that ball matches have come to be controlled by different parties and for different purposes …

This was written in **1868**.

Here is a verse from 1886:

Oh, give us the glorious matches of old, when love of true sport made them great,
And not this new-fashioned affair always sold for the boodle they take at the gate.

1890:

“The rage for base ball appears to be dying out,” the Omaha World-Herald declared in May 1890. A month later, the Arkansas Gazette imagined “the ghost of Baseball dead and gone come back for the benevolent but solemn purpose of exhibiting itself as an awful warning to its successor.”

1928:

“The automobile and golf are commonly held responsible for the decline of baseball,” the Aberdeen Evening News reported in 1928.

1945:

In 1945, the conservative columnist Westbrook Pegler mused on the death of baseball. Pegler alighted on what would, in succeeding years, become the greatest serial killer in baseball history. Call it the American character. The theory goes like this: Something about America changed — its mood, maybe, or the pace of life — and baseball got left behind. “I detect a sad and desperate admission that the game, itself, is outmoded,” Pegler wrote.

As Pegler saw it, the kids of ’45 were too easily distracted for street ball. “Frankly, baseball, love it though you may, is a complex game requiring more organization and enthusiasm than boys today are willing to give it,” Pegler wrote.

It goes on and on and on, through every decade, the '50s, the '60s... and through present times. The decline of baseball is always around the corner, its soul is always being lost, and "the kids these days" are too dumb and too easily distracted to understand the game.

Maybe there is a lesson here, LOL.

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...

First of all, anybody who gets bent out of shape about someone flipping a bat should go get laid.

"2. If a pitcher hits a teammate, hit one of theirs"

I don't know where you pulled this from, but intentionally throwing at someone is disgraceful and potentially dangerous. And this seems to be something that pitchers of all races have been doing, take the Royals/Jays series earlier this year as an example.

I notice that white-dominated sports such as baseball, hockey, golf, tennis, etc seem to have a hatred for any player who shows a little flair, and heaven forbid adds some excitement to the game. Showboating isn't "classy" but it puts people in the seats. And that's something that baseball is lacking.

Quote: (10-05-2015 06:25 PM)iamdegaussed Wrote:  

Carlos Gomez is a cunt. That said, anyone that has a problem with bat flipping after home runs is ridiculous. There are ways to show enthusiasm for the game that don't disrespect the other team, and anyone who isn't autistic can generally figure it out. The ones that don't get hit by a fastball. Easy.

Well I guess I'm ridiculous. Bat flipping falls into the category of "showing up" your opponent. It is grounds for a fastball between the shoulder blades. Act like you've been there before. Barry Sanders never spiked a football in his life.

Quote: (10-05-2015 06:14 PM)TheSlayer Wrote:  

Not really. Baseball still does pretty well with older viewers. They struggle with the 18-35 demographic. It's got more to do with the younger audiences not connecting to the game because it's considerably more boring compared to football, basketball and even hockey. It's also because the games can be longer than the other 3 leagues and smartphone obsessed millenials simply don't care as much for baseball.

In my opinion you're seeing connections between two things where there are none.

Boring is subjective. Personally I can't stand basketball (only the last 2:00 matter, and that could take up to 40 min to complete). American football is ok on tv, and torture to watch in person (roughly 20 min of actual action over the course of 3 hours). Hell they show entire games (minus standing around) in 30 minutes on the NFL network during the week. I used to be a huge hockey fan (NJ Devils), but I stopped watching after all of the labor disputes. I'd buy season tickets to the Red Bulls, but I hate the infrastructure around their stadium.

If I were to rank sports in order of how much I enjoy them it would go:

1. Baseball
2. Soccer
3. Football
4. Hockey
>9000. Basketball

It should also come as no surprise that the first two were sports I played in an organized fashion. Baseball is the religion of my house. I think millenials' disdain for baseball says more about millenials than it does about the game of baseball.

I will concede that while baseball is our national pasttime, football is the national passion.

Quote:younggun Wrote:

I don't know where you pulled this from, but intentionally throwing at someone is disgraceful and potentially dangerous
Which is exactly why you hit one of their guys. Once there is retaliation, the umps will issue warnings. This is a man's game. Stop being a wuss.

10/14/15: The day I learned that convicted terrorists are treated with more human dignity than veterans.

Quote: (10-05-2015 07:31 PM)younggun Wrote:  

First of all, anybody who gets bent out of shape about someone flipping a bat should go get laid.

"2. If a pitcher hits a teammate, hit one of theirs"

I don't know where you pulled this from, but intentionally throwing at someone is disgraceful and potentially dangerous. And this seems to be something that pitchers of all races have been doing, take the Royals/Jays series earlier this year as an example.

I notice that white-dominated sports such as baseball, hockey, golf, tennis, etc seem to have a hatred for any player who shows a little flair, and heaven forbid adds some excitement to the game. Showboating isn't "classy" but it puts people in the seats. And that's something that baseball is lacking.

There's always football and basketball if you wanna jiggaboo and holla atchu fans. Point being: if you wanna behave like a diva, go to the sports where that is already common, don't muddy up every sport

Anyone else see the irony of someone who named himself "EL CHAPO" complaining about Latin Americans?

Ummmm....where do SJW's come into this? Considering its in the title of the thread. I dunno, I don't see the connection. Not all Latins are SJWs and not all SJW's are latins.

OP, so you feel that Latin players are damaging the integrity of baseball(while not ostensibly violating any actual rules) more than the fact that Barry Bonds is still recognized by the MLB as the all-time home-run leader despite a plethora of evidence that he used PED's?

[Image: 545434b57b055fcd675f7b914890e9d1ce47035e...3df074.jpg]

Quote: (08-18-2016 12:05 PM)dicknixon72 Wrote:  
...and nothing quite surprises me anymore. If I looked out my showroom window and saw a fully-nude woman force-fucking an alligator with a strap-on while snorting xanex on the roof of her rental car with her three children locked inside with the windows rolled up, I wouldn't be entirely amazed.

I think it's more the fact that on the First Take clip it was basically "white men need to get over the changes going on around them". I was actually surprised I agreed with Stephen A. Smith, master of the race card.

You still get a like because Spiderman is awesome.

Edit: Just realized who the OP is. Apparently the names Juan Marichal and Roberto Clemente (just to name 2) mean nothing to him.

10/14/15: The day I learned that convicted terrorists are treated with more human dignity than veterans.

What? So you want people to play a game the way you see fit?

I don't even like baseball but if a player wants to cement their lead or celebrate a good play that's their choice. If there is one thing that really bugs me is hearing people tell others to follow their 'unwriten' rules for a game. Only one person can put his opinion of how a player should act before/during/after a match and thats the coach. Even then the final choice is and will always be upon the player.

I don't even like baseball but if a player wants to cement their lead or celebrate a good play that's their choice.
And if a pitcher decides he's had enough and puts a 90+MPH fastball 2" behind the batter's head, that's his choice. It cuts both ways.

Unwritten rules are the players policing themselves. It makes it so someone doesn't get killed. There's playing the game hard and celebrating your success. Then there's rubbing your opponent's nose in it. It's called common respect. If you lack it, you will get put in your place.

From what I'm seeing in this thread. Those who have a problem with the way the game is played are fairweather fans at best. It's like virgins talking about the best way to fuck a chick.

Wow, I didn't expect the lefties to come out of the woodwork.

I respect and admire Latino culture, but that doesn't mean I want it to take over my culture. I don't want my favorite sport to get ruined by the showboating of the Latino players. That's all. What's with everybody bringing up the race card?

There are rules in everything. The Latino players knew what they were getting themselves into when they came to the states and if you’re going to come into our country and make our American dollars, you need to respect a game that has been here for over a hundred years with its customs and its rules. What is wrong with acknowledging that?

I think many of you guys aren't legit baseball fans. Real baseball fans are appalled by this.

Quote: (10-05-2015 09:08 PM)EL CHAPO Wrote:  

Wow, I didn't expect the lefties to come out of the woodwork.

I respect and admire Latino culture, but that doesn't mean I want it to take over my culture. I don't want my favorite sport to get ruined by the showboating of the Latino players. That's all. What's with everybody bringing up the race card?

There are rules in everything. The Latino players knew what they were getting themselves into when they came to the states and if you’re going to come into our country and make our American dollars, you need to respect a game that has been here for over a hundred years with its customs and its rules. What is wrong with acknowledging that?

I think many of you guys aren't legit baseball fans. Real baseball fans are appalled by this.

[Image: kqiu9.gif]

Chapo, you need to chill. Just because people disagree with you doesn't mean they are leftists. Those sorts of attacks may work on the Chans, but you aren't going to discredit anyone with that here. You are the one that made the assertion that the increase in Latinos in baseball are the causation of the drop in ratings. Making a statement like that, you have to expect some heat.

Personally, I think the media is trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. A bench clearing brawl happens roughly 13.5 times a year according to the study quoted. Considering that teams play 162 games a year. With 30 teams that means there are 2430 regular season games played. That means that a bench clearing brawl happens in one half of one percent of games. If you hadn't made this thread, I never would have thought about it. This is master bait (heh) from E!SPN.

Lations hate being disrespected just as much as the rest of us.

I'll say before bowing out of this thread as it inevitably becomes a race thread, we should remember at the end of the day it's sports. It's just entertainment, it's not that serious. We are not talking about the NFL going all pink with their breast cancer support or the NBA making PSAs on 'Lean In'. That's real SJW crap, this is a non story as far as I am concerned.

All this drama over the "culture clash" will only get fans more interested and may even increase ratings. Sports fans love drama more than anything else.

There's a lot of SJW bullshit floating around in our culture but I am not seeing the connection here. As LOZ pointed out people had similar concerns all the way back in 1868.

Quote: (10-05-2015 09:05 PM)teh_skeeze Wrote:  

I don't even like baseball but if a player wants to cement their lead or celebrate a good play that's their choice.
And if a pitcher decides he's had enough and puts a 90+MPH fastball 2" behind the batter's head, that's his choice. It cuts both ways.

Unwritten rules are the players policing themselves. It makes it so someone doesn't get killed. There's playing the game hard and celebrating your success. Then there's rubbing your opponent's nose in it. It's called common respect. If you lack it, you will get put in your place.

From what I'm seeing in this thread. Those who have a problem with the way the game is played are fairweather fans at best. It's like virgins talking about the best way to fuck a chick.

You're comparing a guy celebrating to another guy trying to seriously [possibly fataly] injure someone because he celebrated too much.

As you said, the "unwritten rules" are the ones the players [and coaches] police themselves. This is not up to couch potatoe fans, this is up to the team [players, coaches, owners and anyone else] to explain and control their players.

Just like how college football doesn't allow [if I recall correctly] too much celebrating when the players score a touchdown [elaborate victory dances and such] the team establishment is responsible for that.

But then again, you're talking to someone who only takes part in the actual sport/event culture and has 0 interest in fandom. [Image: tard.gif]