rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Former Tennis Star James Blake and mistaken identity

No need to put any kind of spin on this, just goes to show no matter who you are possessing all the trappings of success: Fame, Money, acclaim doesn't necessarily insulate you from police harassment.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34205643

"There's no reason for anybody to do that to anybody," Mr Blake said

New York City police officers have mistakenly detained a former professional tennis player as he waited for a car to take him to the US Open.

James Blake told the New York Daily News that a group of five plainclothes officers slammed him to the ground and held him for 15 minutes on Wednesday.

The police said in a statement that the officers mistakenly believed he was a suspect in a theft case.

Once it was determined that Mr Blake was not the suspect, he was released.

Mr Blake, 35, said he suffered a cut on his arm and bruises on his legs. He said the officers did not speak to him before they pushed him to the ground.

"You'd think they could say: 'Hey, we want to talk to you. We are looking in to something'," Mr Blake told the Daily News.

"You would think at some point they would get the memo that this isn't OK, but it seems that there's no stopping it."

Once the fourth-ranked player in the world, Mr Blake was set to make an appearance at the US Open for the Time-Warner Cable company.

He retired following his US Open exit in 2013 after winning 10 singles titles in a career in which he also became the number one US player.

Police said a "cooperating witness" mistakenly identified Mr Blake as being involved in "a ring dealing in fraudulently purchased cellphones".

Racial concerns

Mr Blake, who is black, said race may have contributed to the incident. All of the officers were white.

However he said his primary concern was with the amount of force used.

"In my mind there's probably a race factor involved, but no matter what there's no reason for anybody to do that to anybody," he told the Daily News.

The New York Police Department said it was investigating whether the officers used excessive force.

The department has recently been involved in a number of high-profile cases involving accusations of police brutality.

In the most prominent case, a man selling illegal cigarettes died in July 2014 after being subdued by several police officers. Eric Garner's violent arrest was filmed by a bystander.

A decision not to criminally charge the officers led to widespread protests across the city.

Very curious to see what will come of the NYPD's internal investigation. Kind of like fox investigating himself for chasing hens.

MDP

Mandatory police cams will solve many problems for the American police and public.

Lawsuit. I honestly wouldn't be interested in it since the damages don't seem to be the greatest and I think you would have to proceed on a negligence theory rather than an intentional tort like false arrest or malicious prosecution.

Quote: (09-10-2015 07:41 AM)MY DETROIT PLAYAS Wrote:  

Police said a "cooperating witness" mistakenly identified Mr Blake as being involved in "a ring dealing in fraudulently purchased cellphones".

Mr Blake, who is black, said race may have contributed to the incident. All of the officers were white.

Untrue (apparently): the lead officer, who brought J. Blake to the ground, is himself a "metis" ("mixed-blood Afro")

http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/Actualites/...gir/589360
"Bratton a surtout tenu à ôter toute connotation raciale à l’affaire, soulignant que Blake ressemblait comme un jumeau au suspect et précisant que celui qui l’a interpellé – et n’a toujours pas présenté les excuses que l’ancien joueur attend – était métis"

"“Sorry, race has nothing at all to do with this,” he (police chief) said earlier on CNN. “If you look at the photograph of the suspect it looks like the twin brother of Mr. Blake."

Quote: (09-10-2015 07:41 AM)MY DETROIT PLAYAS Wrote:  

Very curious to see what will come of the NYPD's internal investigation. Kind of like fox investigating himself for chasing hens.

He could file a complaint with the Civilian Complaint Review Board but from my experience they're no more helpful than Internal Affairs.

Similar situation happened to me, different borough though. Plain clothes hopping out of a vehicle, tackling you, arrest you and asking questions later. Know a handful of other guys here that have had the same thing happen.

Internal affairs will interview him, take a statement ask him to ID the officers. He won't hear back from them for a couple of months. The cops fucked up and the city will settle if he presses charges.

It's a nice payday off police incompetence, it's totally worth spending a night in Central Bookings.

Quote: (08-18-2016 12:05 PM)dicknixon72 Wrote:  
...and nothing quite surprises me anymore. If I looked out my showroom window and saw a fully-nude woman force-fucking an alligator with a strap-on while snorting xanex on the roof of her rental car with her three children locked inside with the windows rolled up, I wouldn't be entirely amazed.

Even if they had the right guy, the arrest is over the top. It's not a potential murderer, some suspect for identity fraud for Christ sake

Good to see egg on the face of the nypd police commish. He tries to find scapegoats like the mayor but this one he can't ignore

Dailymail has article this morning with pictures.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...s-cop.html

This is the picture of the person they were looking for:

[Image: 2C2B6EB400000578-3231347-image-a-135_1442006092089.jpg]

This is Blake:

[Image: 2C2C6D7600000578-3231347-image-m-108_1442004469897.jpg]

What do you make of it?

“The greatest burden a child must bear is the unlived life of its parents.”

Carl Jung

Quote: (09-11-2015 04:44 PM)debeguiled Wrote:  

This is Blake:

What do you make of it?

I would need to know the height and weight of each guy (Blake's about 6'1" and pretty thin) to be sure about reasonable articulable suspicion, but I think they are pretty close facially.

Quote: (09-11-2015 08:10 AM)Kaizen Wrote:  

Even if they had the right guy, the arrest is over the top. It's not a potential murderer, some suspect for identity fraud for Christ sake

Good to see egg on the face of the nypd police commish. He tries to find scapegoats like the mayor but this one he can't ignore

This is the thing...I've arrested murderers and other horrific people, and even then I give them the chance to go peacefully and turn around and put their hands behind their back. If they have a hard time making up their mind then I grab their arm and turn them around. If they try to pull away THEN I go for the tackle. And obviously if they're running they get tackled, or get in a combative stance (at this point I know when people are going to try and hit me) they're dealt with appropriately, but there really isn't the need to tackle a guy that isn't resisting.

And people give up all kinds of shit when you just talk to them prior to arrest. And sometimes talking just sorts things out so an arrest isn't needed.

Quote: (09-11-2015 05:08 PM)Merenguero Wrote:  

This is Blake:

What do you make of it?

I would need to know the height and weight of each guy (Blake's about 6'1" and pretty thin) to be sure about reasonable articulable suspicion, but I think they are pretty close facially.

So it is a possibility that the actual identification, if the two are similar in height and build, might not have been racist, although the actual takedown definitely was out of line.

“The greatest burden a child must bear is the unlived life of its parents.”

Carl Jung

Quote: (09-11-2015 06:18 PM)debeguiled Wrote:  

Quote: (09-11-2015 05:08 PM)Merenguero Wrote:  

This is Blake:

What do you make of it?

So it is a possibility that the actual identification, if the two are similar in height and build, might not have been racist, although the actual takedown definitely was out of line.

Pretty much and cross-racial identifications can be extremely difficult and my understanding was that these officers were white. One of the tactics which I use is trying to get a non-Hispanic officer or civilian to identify one of my clients, all of whom are Hispanic, in court. My record in doing that is the same as my betting record. I'm undefeated. It's almost as if those people intentionally pick out the wrong person.

What's funny is that if James Blake weren't a public figure, I seriously doubt we would even be hearing this story. He isn't an A-list celebrity, but tennis fans and much of the general public definitely know who he is.

Video of the J. Blake's arrest is below. Normal arrest, no extreme violence used at all. Only thing surprising me is the very tamed, almost beta-ish reaction of Blake, who's a professional sportsman and didn't physically react at all...

But look at the video, you'll see it is a non-story that SJWs are trying to spin into a big racially-charged deal:

http://www.clarin.com/embed/video_CLAVID..._0049.html

Quote: (09-11-2015 07:57 PM)Going strong Wrote:  

Video of the J. Blake's arrest is below. Normal arrest, no extreme violence used at all. Only thing surprising me is the very tamed, almost beta-ish reaction of Blake, who's a professional sportsman and didn't physically react at all...

But look at the video, you'll see it is a non-story that SJWs are trying to spin into a big racially-charged deal:

Are you blind? Looks like the cop didn't even announce that he was the police until he was right on him. He didn't even give the guy the chance to surrender without using force because in the video Blake is not even resisting. He just walked up to Blake and threw him on the ground. I've seen murders get arrested with less force. From what I've read it seems like the guy they were looking for was part of a identity theft ring which means a non violent crime and probably not armed and/or dangerous.

Thanks for the vid. People are so used to seeing extreme videos of police work (or movies), they don't realize that most arrests are peaceful. This looked pretty heavy handed to me. Doesn't look like the cop IDed himself, went hands on immediately etc.. That lends itself to shit shows like this. And the guy wasn't mobile, get on the radio, you're in the city, backup is usually pretty damn close. If you're concerned about him getting frisky, you start the encounter with a body on either side of him. "Peace through superior firepower" is still peace,

There are times you need to be heavy handed, but this didn't look to be one of them.

Blake has had some bad luck. He broke his neck during a routine practice when he slipped on the court, almost ending his career.

It was always fun watching him play at the Open. The crowd was always into it.

Quote: (09-11-2015 08:23 PM)PrimeTime32 Wrote:  

Are you blind? Looks like the cop didn't even announce that he was the police until he was right on him. He didn't even give the guy the chance to surrender without using force because in the video Blake is not even resisting. He just walked up to Blake and threw him on the ground. I've seen murderers get arrested with less force. From what I've read it seems like the guy they were looking for was part of a identity theft ring which means a non violent crime and probably not armed and/or dangerous.

I am not blind, thus I noticed that J. Blake's backside and left side were totally hidden from view (see the way he is leaning against a luggage rack). So the policeman had no clear view of Blake's left side and back...

Therefore he had to restrain him quickly, no question asked, just on the off-chance that the "perp" had a gun hidden on him (or hidden on the luggage by his left side). Standard police procedure.

Quote: (09-11-2015 08:23 PM)PrimeTime32 Wrote:  

Are you blind? Looks like the cop didn't even announce that he was the police until he was right on him. He didn't even give the guy the chance to surrender without using force because in the video Blake is not even resisting. He just walked up to Blake and threw him on the ground. I've seen murders get arrested with less force. From what I've read it seems like the guy they were looking for was part of a identity theft ring which means a non violent crime and probably not armed and/or dangerous.

GoingStrong: so if you were saying that had been you - just a regular guy checking his cell phone outside a hotel lobby who was suddenly violently blindsided and tackled and then not told anything for 15 minutes by someone who may or may not have been a cop or thug - you would just go, "no sweat! no big deal! Good job, Mr Police Officer!" because you would have viewed your tackle as just an ordinary arrest?

Imagine this situation: you are a student at a college university hanging out in the Quad. Unbeknownst to you a girl claimed she was rape the night before and the perp and you looked similar. So you're hanging out in the Quad and all of a sudden you're blindsided from the back, thrown to the ground, a knee shoved in you and told you're under arrest by someone in plain clothes. You're then taken to the police station and not told anything at all. Even worse, because you're not a world famous athlete with lawyers, agents and high profile friends on speed dial, you're detained for 24 hours. That would be alright by you?

Sorry, that arrest might be acceptable in a third world country and this is America. If America wants to maintain its propaganda as a country governed by the rule of law, it should be acting that way.

Quote: (09-10-2015 09:28 PM)Goldin Boy Wrote:  

It's a nice payday off police incompetence, it's totally worth spending a night in Central Bookings.

Well the thing is if that had been you or me - being that we're regular Joe Schmoes and not world famous athletes - there'd be no payoff for us, just our indignant treatment and the knowledge that we live in a police state.

The video's been released.

Terrifying to think that a yoked up guy in a white t-shirt can tackle you, and if you don't immediately comply he'd probably shoot you.

The arrest was ridiculous. Maybe it's not clear in the video, but I didn't see the cop show a badge. If some dude ran up to me like that, I would immediately think he was trying to rob me, and I would attack. Anyone who has trained martial arts in any capacity would have the same reaction. Then either the cop or the civilian would be killed/injured, or both.

I don't give a shit about "black lives matter," Ferguson, or any of that. But from my personal experience, the cops are poorly trained thugs who love to abuse their power when they get a chance.

Unless the suspect is an imminent danger to others, there is no reason for that kind of takedown.

Quote: (09-12-2015 12:29 PM)BallsDeep Wrote:  

The video's been released.

Terrifying to think that a yoked up guy in a white t-shirt can tackle you, and if you don't immediately comply he'd probably shoot you.

So dude was standing, minding his own business when he got ambushed (arrested) by the cop. There was no warning given, no attempt made to decipher his identity, straight tackle and arrest. Yeah, I don't see how this is acceptable.

It's very good that there is clear video evidence here or you would have heard the cops talk about him "resisting arrest" or some other bullshit.

Quote: (09-12-2015 10:22 AM)monster Wrote:  

Well the thing is if that had been you or me - being that we're regular Joe Schmoes and not world famous athletes - there'd be no payoff for us, just our indignant treatment and the knowledge that we live in a police state.

I beg to differ.

Blake does favor the criminal but it was a bad arrest. When cops show that much ineptitude you go for the jugular, file appropriate complaints and lawyer-up asap.

Like I mentioned in my first post, I was in a similar situation, here's the cliff notes: Three plainclothes officers, without badges displayed came out of car and arrested me in broadday in 2003. I was arrested for resisting arrest(lol), they offered a plea which I rejected. It was a short trial and all charges were dropped. A civil suit was filed, they settled for a sum in 2008. Less lawyer fees, I made-out pretty well.

I have friend from the same hood that have similar stories and they don't sue. They don't even try! I ask them why and they say what you said. Not all cops are bad but there are mechanisms in place to hold bad cops accountable.

If there was police state, I'd have a criminal record for a nonsensical issue. You have to stand-up for yourself, like Roosh did in Canada, when you've been wronged/targeted: The City is like the wizard of oz, behind the intimidating facade of stoic cops and palatial courthouses they're just men like us. You can fight them and win.

Quote: (08-18-2016 12:05 PM)dicknixon72 Wrote:  
...and nothing quite surprises me anymore. If I looked out my showroom window and saw a fully-nude woman force-fucking an alligator with a strap-on while snorting xanex on the roof of her rental car with her three children locked inside with the windows rolled up, I wouldn't be entirely amazed.

Quote: (09-12-2015 07:15 PM)Goldin Boy Wrote:  

Quote: (09-12-2015 10:22 AM)monster Wrote:  

I beg to differ.

Blake does favor the criminal but it was a bad arrest. When cops show that much ineptitude you go for the jugular, file appropriate complaints and lawyer-up asap.

Like I mentioned in my first post, I was in a similar situation, here's the cliff notes: Three plainclothes officers, without badges displayed came out of car and arrested me in broadday in 2003. I was arrested for resisting arrest(lol), they offered a plea which I rejected. It was a short trial and all charges were dropped. A civil suit was filed, they settled for a sum in 2008. Less lawyer fees, I made-out pretty well.

I have friend from the same hood that have similar stories and they don't sue. They don't even try! I ask them why and they say what you said. Not all cops are bad but there are mechanisms in place to hold bad cops accountable.

If there was police state, I'd have a criminal record for a nonsensical issue. You have to stand-up for yourself, like Roosh did in Canada, when you've been wronged/targeted: The City is like the wizard of oz, behind the intimidating facade of stoic cops and palatial courthouses they're just men like us. You can fight them and win.

Was there a video of that incident with you? It seems that since everyone starting having video cameras on their phones, there have been many more cases in it was able to be proven that the police have falsely arrested/charged someone and the person who was falsely charged has been able be compensated. Why? Because cameras don't lie, people do. When I first went out on my own, a guy came to me with one of these cases. I really didn't trust the guy and was 100% percent sure he wasn't giving me the whole story and therefore didn't take the case. It turns out that he was partially lying and partially telling the truth and was able to get a really good settlement (the overwhelming odds are that he immediately blew it all, but that is for another thread). Even knowing what I know now, I'm not sure I would have taken the case.

Where's the picture of the supposed man in question? I'm hearing that he looks like Blake but until I see the picture then I don't believe it.

There's a difference between getting arrested and getting tackled to the ground while standing around. He's not even a large guy so cops couldn't use that excuse like in other cases.

A man is only as faithful as his options-Chris Rock