rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Location Independent Lifestyle

Hi guys, I was just wondering if any of you could provide some advice and tips on developing a location independent lifestyle? It's something I've always dreamt of and ever since university the more I slave away in an office in front of a computer, the more apparent it is to me how much I want that kind of lifestyle. It's ironic how your fed so much crap at a young age, go through university, get a good job, pension, you know the drill.

I am currently 24 and work in banking in the UK, I could try and become a trader but there are no guarantees. I don't really have a lot of capital behind me at the moment, although I am trying to save bit by bit - I understand this is the most important aspect. I have been reading the '4 hour work week' by Tim Ferris which is an interesting read and gives some useful advice, although seems to be sensationalised. I want to get a perspective from guys who have been there and done that. I think ideally I would invest in property and want to be able to develop something that gives me a 'hands-free income.' I recently came back from Colombia, and I loved the country and the women, I want to experience things like this on a regular basis and not just my alloted 25 days holiday a year. My questions would be:

- Why did you decide to pursue this lifestyle?
- How do you sustain it?

That sort of thing...Any stuff would be appreciated.

You must be able to generate passive income.

Only logical ways I know to do this is web-based income, real estate, or anytime type of self owned business where you do not have to be present to generate income.

There are definitely a bunch of threads already on here about this topic. I think one of them is called "How are you guys making money?"

I'm currently in Bangkok, building my own web-based business so that I can reach my own location independent lifestyle.

Another option is just getting a job with ALOT of time of 2+ months a year. Not exactly ideal but atleast you will have decent amount of time to travel

I think too many people get hung up on trying to get the perfect 4-hour week or whatever. I'd put down serious cash to wager that Tim Ferris works a hell of a lot more than 4 hours a week right now.

Other options are getting actual jobs in locations around the world you'd like to visit or working as a consultant/on contract (as you know lot's of this contract work in the major City banks) for x months in a year and travelling for the remainder. If you where lucky enough to own your flat in London outright (Yes, easier said than done) you could easily work just 6 months of the year and travel for the other 6 using savings and income from renting out the London flat.

http://www.flexjobs.com