rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Ultimate Home Gym - Worthy?

Saw this the other day and thought it needed to be shared here.

This guy took his garage
[Image: vwyD1WT.jpg]

Gave it an interesting paint job
[Image: 8rAy6B9.jpg]

Redid the floor to take and put down mats
[Image: fNfSNKt.jpg]

Transformed it from a normal garage into a much more useful space
[Image: VIjm5r5.jpg]

[Image: QE2irgC.jpg]

[Image: qH80xE8.jpg]

[Image: opkXAlj.jpg]

So of course I saw this and my brain started thinking about it. Apparently the guy learned quite a bit in the process of making this -
Quote:Quote:

During the project I learned a little about electrical, sheetrock, taping, painting, and epoxying. It took about 4 months to finish prepping the garage for the equipment. Once I placed my order it came in about 6 weeks.

All in all it has
Quote:Quote:

BFS Full Cage with Landmine attachment, Dip attachment, and Swivel Pullup Grips.
BFS Leg Press/Hack Squat Machine
BFS Leg Extension/Leg Curl Machine
BFS Lat Pulldown/Row Machine
BFS Seated Calf Machine
BFS D1 Flat to Incline Bench
2 Dumbbell Racks
5-115 Pound Dumbbell Set
Cap ob-86b Barbell
15 lb Curl Bar
5' 30 lb Barbell
635 lbs of Olympic weights
Body Solid GDCC200 Functional Trainer
Rogue Dip Belt
Valeo Weight Belt
5, 8, 10, 12, 15, & 20 lb Cap Workout bars

Says it cost him about $12k all together, which is basically the cost of a gym membership spread out over decades, but I imagine if he leaves it in the house when he sells the place it will increase the value to some extent to the right buyer. All that equipment can be bought cheaper used.

I'm thinking this might be worth replicating, because I hate the actual journey to the gym, especially in winter when it gets to be -20F.

Thoughts? Opinions? Possible improvements? Worthiness?

If you are going to impose your will on the world, you must have control over what you believe.

Data Sheet Minneapolis / Data Sheet St. Paul / Data Sheet Northern MN/BWCA / Data Sheet Duluth

Assuming that the main purpose is as a solo gym, not using it with kids or buddies, it seems like overkill. For a tenth the price I have (off the top of my head) a power rack with three pullup angles, Olympic barbell with plates, adjustable dumbbells 14" and 18" (ordering longer ones), adjustable bench, skullcrusher bar, EZ bar, T-bar platform, plywood carpeted deadlift/weight platform. Some kettle bells. Still need a dipstation to attach to the rack.
And a treadmill! I assume the guy does his cardio outside? If I had a whole garage to use, I'd get a rowing machine.
It would definitely be more convenient to have those separate dumbbells and leg machines, but their main purpose here seems to be to take up space. As I suspected, the functional trainer is one of those mini cable cross things that aren't very useful.
He should hang or stencil some motivational quotes on the wall, too.

You don't need to spend nearly that much. Buy used and let someone else take the depreciation. Paintjob is cheap and 90% of the look.

Other than that though, the principle of my own gym works for me. I have a mish mash of kit at my works yard, probably paid about £200 total. Bought mainly from middle aged idiots who bought it, then sold cheap because they couldn't hack it. The squat rack and some 20kg plates came from a black guy who filled the doorway when I called to collect- he was upgrading to Olympic [Image: biggrin.gif]

I'm twice as likely to exercise when it's right there after work. Not been to a real gym in months.

I don't reckon you can count on it increasing your home's value- more like decreasing it for 95% of buyers. Even if the bloke fancies it, soon as the woman sees it....[Image: dodgy.gif]

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...

Fuckin' a, that home gym is as nice as a lot of commercial gyms out there (just not as big)… major props to this dude.

If 12.000 $ are chump change for you, go for it!

Otherwise, I'd stay away from it as the marginal costs are simply too high to justify. Plus, I think a real gym can be a really cool place to socialize.

Still looks pretty nice, though. I'll get me a home gym like this once 12.000 $ don't matter to me anymore.

I have a home gym, in which I can do 95% of what he can do in his, and a bunch of stuff he (currently) can't, with odd objects, implements, home made thickbars etc. I reckon my total expenditure is under £300. It's a natty gym, no doubt, but results are bought in a very different currency, and no amount of snazzy paint jobs or fancy machines can change that.

His gym is much, much nicer than mine (my power rack is 2x adjustable scaffold trellises), but I wouldn't do what he'd done unless the only other option was to set the money on fire.

Seems like an overkill, but I can see the advantages as well. If you buy a house you should use it as you wish. There are a lot of worse ways to use your garage and gym is definitely at the top.

Too bad the guy is a beta. His exact words:
"I'm lucky I found someone who will let me do a project like this"

Well it seems to be working: http://imgur.com/a/ZlCPJ

It's lovely, but he could probably have gotten a 99% as useful setup for about $2k or less. The DBs in particular are a total waste of money and space. Why not just use plates on normal adjustable DBs?

If hes got the dollars to spare though then more power to him, I guess. Having a home gym means theres absolutely no excuse for missing workouts, you can always fit in 30m here or there.

Nice job but what surprises me most is that one room took 4 months and he didn't even weld and build the equipment himself.

Personally I could make one, and I have space for it but I like working out somewhere else.

As an investment for the right type of buyer, why not.

I've always wanted a set up like this. In fact, the space and outbuildings are something I will be looking for when I move out of the city in a year or so.

I'm gonna have absolutely anything I can get my hands on...bodybuilding machines for every muscle niche exercise, astroturf with sleds, literally everything I can think of.

Plus a space for a supercar or classic car to look at whilst I'm working out.

Someone I know has a 4000 sqft gym in their house in France...to be honest, it's amazing having World class facilities not only at your own house but that nobody else can use!

I get really excited thinking about this project!

Nice gym!

But neon green?! Is he a ninja turtle?

I didn't see a single heavy, bag, speed bag, double end or even a sand bag as far as that goes.
Seems more like a monument tribute to man-cave building and such.
I am all for home gyms it is the way to go, but it looks like the guy is overcompensating by spending a large unnecessary amount of money for an average power lifting gym. You cant buy results, bro. It just screams look at me!-Male attention whoring, unless this guy is such a power-lifting beast that between SNL's, protein slamming, and making oodles of cash he doesn't have time to drive his gigantic truck to the local gym. I also naturally assume a guy who would buy that for 12K also spends more than that each year on test, deca and HGH. I like to be au naturel.

"Time will tell who are the real revolutionaries"-Robert Nesta Marley

Quote: (08-19-2015 11:25 PM)Osiris Wrote:  

Says it cost him about $12k all together, which is basically the cost of a gym membership spread out over decades, but I imagine if he leaves it in the house when he sells the place it will increase the value to some extent to the right buyer. All that equipment can be bought cheaper used.

I'm thinking this might be worth replicating, because I hate the actual journey to the gym, especially in winter when it gets to be -20F.

Thoughts? Opinions? Possible improvements? Worthiness?

As for the cost, it varies from gym to gym the cost of working out. That $12k is worth it in the period of 30 years is $400/year($33/month) and its worth in a period of 50 years is $240/year($20/month).

Most gym equipment don't last that long unless its meant to handle heavy duty lifting. Most gyms I've seen have broken down equipment/machines after 2 years of use after joining different gyms over the years.

Also that setup depends on where you live. He lives in a desert climate which is more suitable for a home gym. Someone like myself who lives by the water, the equipment is at far greater risk of being destroyed by moisture.

I would likely go with a combination of a fitness gym for winter workouts, isolation machines and treadmills and build my home gym exclusive for compound movements(A squat rack and bench), dumbells(adjustable) and kettle bells(adjustable).

I like the initiative. He spent way too much money.

The dumbbell rack is a waste of money (buy adjustable dumbbells). The leg extension/curl machine is a waste of money (good way to wreck your knees though). The seated calf raise machine is a waste of space and money. I'm not a fan of leg press/hack squats, so another waste of money.

The bench, rack, bars, and plates are nice. They're the only pieces of actually necessary equipment, though.

If you're not fucking her, someone else is.

Quote: (08-20-2015 03:23 PM)Truth Teller Wrote:  

The leg extension/curl machine is a waste of money (good way to wreck your knees though).

Please expand on this.

I pay 7.70$ a month for my gym subscription. Can work out 7days a week. Need to be in before 17:00. Gym is fully equipped.

Home gyms are for people with ironclad discipline anyway. Its too easy to skip or postpone a workout when you don't feel like it.

Not worth it.

Book - Around the World in 80 Girls - The Epic 3 Year Trip of a Backpacking Casanova

My new book Famles - Fables and Fairytales for Men is out now on Amazon.

Quote: (08-20-2015 03:46 PM)Nascimento Wrote:  

The leg extension/curl machine is a waste of money (good way to wreck your knees though).

Please expand on this.

Leg extensions and leg curls are extremely unnatural movements, as your quads and hamstrings were not built to lift things that way. Front squats and RDLs are far superior for quads and hammies and are much safer for the knees.

So what you're saying is that your knees were not meant to extend or flex.

I could see some damage being done if someone loaded 200lbs on the leg extension machine and heaved the weights; but assuming the person knows how to train properly, cite a source to support your claims.

I guarantee you more people injure themselves doing front squats and RDL's than they do with leg extensions and curls.

The dumbbell rack is a waste of money (buy adjustable dumbbells). The leg extension/curl machine is a waste of money (good way to wreck your knees though). The seated calf raise machine is a waste of space and money. I'm not a fan of leg press/hack squats, so another waste of money.

The bench, rack, bars, and plates are nice. They're the only pieces of actually necessary equipment, though.

Who are you? Mark Rippletoe?

[Image: 0624_trainer3.jpg]

Quote: (08-20-2015 10:29 PM)Nascimento Wrote:  

I could see some damage being done if someone loaded 200lbs on the leg extension machine and heaved the weights; but assuming the person knows how to train properly, cite a source to support your claims.

I guarantee you more people injure themselves doing front squats and RDL's than they do with leg extensions and curls.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term...ilitation.

The leg extension places a ton of stress on the knees.

Quote: (08-20-2015 10:40 PM)redbeard Wrote:  

Who are you? Mark Rippletoe?

[Image: 0624_trainer3.jpg]

Yeah, I'm totally Mark Rippetoe. I love squatting in an incredibly unnatural way and shouting about hip drive. Also, a gallon of milk a day or you're not doing the program. Finally, I hate bent over rows. Fuck bent over rows. Do power cleans instead, because they somehow work your back better than bent over rows. Ignore my poor posture and multiple shoulder surgeries caused by the imbalance in my shoulders.

Obviously, I'm not Mark Rippetoe, and before it looks like I shat on Starting Strength too much, I do think Rippetoe is knowledgeable and means well.

I'm a guy who thinks the adjustable barbell is the greatest piece of exercise equipment ever invented. The greatest drug free physiques ever were built with barbell and dumbbell lifting. The leg press can be useful for people who can't squat.

Quote: (08-20-2015 10:29 PM)Nascimento Wrote:  

Yea the knees were meant to extend and flex. They weren't meant to sit in a chair and lift heavy things from 90 degrees to parallel using your ankles. Legs and knees aren't designed to lift things in that manner.

Why I stopped doing leg extensions. Even though it was one of my favorite leg exercises.

At 8:00 minutes.

Book - Around the World in 80 Girls - The Epic 3 Year Trip of a Backpacking Casanova

My new book Famles - Fables and Fairytales for Men is out now on Amazon.

The dumbbell rack is a waste of money (buy adjustable dumbbells).

Once you get past a certain weight adjustable dumbbells can become a royal pain in the ass for several reasons:

It's time consuming changing weights.

It's tough to find room on an adjustable dumbbell to accommodate 100lb+

It's tough having confidence that your collars will hold 100lbs of weight as you haul these thngs over your head....

IMO Dumbbell racks look damn cool, they are must for my home gym.