rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

I need 35hrs of audiobooks

I will be travelling next week and need about 35 hours of audio books to listen to. Can you guys suggest a few books or lectures that you find excellent?

There are plenty of online courses I'd want to watch and audio books I want to listen to but so many of them have screeching feminists lecturing and I can't stand that.

Any topic, but please only suggest material you've listened to yourself.

If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It's the only good fight there is.

Disable "Click here to Continue"

My Testosterone Adventure: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V

Quote:Quote:
if it happened to you it’s your fault, I got no sympathy and I don’t believe your version of events.

I suggest downloading some of Tim Ferriss' Podcasts:
http://fourhourworkweek.com/podcast/

They're free, cover a broad range of topics, are geared towards self improvement, and have very interesting people in them. I have listened to more than half of them, the one with Arnold is my biggest recommendation.

Not all of them are great though - this one was hard to listen to for me, and I lost about 50% of the respect I had for Tim until then:
http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/05/20/google-x/

The way he asks them questions about soulmates and love reveals Tim as quite the blue pill beta in the dating arena. On top of that he seems overly supplicating and uncritical towards these two self-declared "relationship experts". I haven't listened to his podcast with Neil Strauss yet, maybe that one will make up for a little bit of the lost respect.

Thomas Carlyle is an excellent historian and philosopher, who coined the concept of history being "but the biographies of great men" as well as the term "the dismal science" for economics. Here several audiobooks of his are available for free. I am currently listening to the Early Kings of Norway. His book on the French Revolution is widely reknowned for excellence.

He is a bit infamous among those who even know him because he was plainly against democracy and the ideals of the French Revolution.

https://librivox.org/author/4602?primary...et_results

http://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-series/ the best ever history podcast I have ever listened to

As audiobooks I enjoyed Under the Banner of Heaven,Jon Krakauer's book about the Mormon religion; Cinderella Man, the boxing story made into a movie with Russell Crow, and Columbine, Dave Cullen's book about the massacre (written years later, it upends a lot of the "bullying/trenchcoat mafia" stuff bandied about shortly after).

Also, Adam Carolla's books are good if you want something light and funny. His podcasts are also good, and free. If you haven't tried them, he does a "best of" show around the holidays every year--actually I think they are called the Ace Awards--that are good listening.

Also Sam Harris has some good podcast episodes.

Black Phillip Show

The Teaching Company lectures. College level courses on whatever you want to learn about. Careful though, they guard their intellectual property fiercly...

Terence McKenna has oodles of talks... hundreds and hundreds of hours of audio. such a good talker he is!

https://archive.org/details/PsychedeliaR...kennaTalks

Also, the archive site has heaps of very well produced Audio files on it. It is a treasure trove of old and new classics!

Great suggestions. Dan Carlin has been recommended many times before. Worth looking into.

Quote: (08-13-2015 04:15 PM)Gorgiass Wrote:  

The Teaching Company lectures. College level courses on whatever you want to learn about. Careful though, they guard their intellectual property fiercly...

Gorgiass which lectures from TTC do you recommend?

Quote: (08-13-2015 04:43 PM)tiggaling Wrote:  

Terence McKenna has oodles of talks... hundreds and hundreds of hours of audio. such a good talker he is!

https://archive.org/details/PsychedeliaR...kennaTalks

Also, the archive site has heaps of very well produced Audio files on it. It is a treasure trove of old and new classics!

From the site it is not clear what this is about. Psychedelic experiences?

If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It's the only good fight there is.

Disable "Click here to Continue"

My Testosterone Adventure: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V

Quote:Quote:
if it happened to you it’s your fault, I got no sympathy and I don’t believe your version of events.

I'd recommend EconTalk. The podcast has a range of topics beyond the scope of economics. There are probably close to 500 episodes. I've learned the fundamentals of many different economic concepts and theories through the podcast.

I love listening to Anthony Bourdain's Audiobooks. I find his delivery just very relatable. I think I liked "A Cook's Tour" the best but I don't think its on Audible I got the CDs for that one.

Also liked the 48 Laws of Power. Book moves pretty quickly with interesting anecdotes.

I just started Game of Thrones today, and it's excellent so far; vastly superior to the show. It's 33.5 hours so it fits with your time requirement.

'Logic Over Emotion Since 2013'

Danger and Play podcast and the Black Philip Show

Im a technophobe, can someone give me the information of an app I can download. So I can listen to audio book podcasts on my shitty samsung smartphone.

The Slight Edge (nearly 4 hours)

Psychocybernetics (over 6 hours)

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Quote: (08-14-2015 09:23 AM)Constitution45 Wrote:  

Im a technophobe, can someone give me the information of an app I can download. So I can listen to audio book podcasts on my shitty samsung smartphone.

For podcasts I use Podcast Addict. For audiobooks I use Smart Audiobook Player.

--

OP, check out the audiobook of Andy Weir's The Martian. The narrator is 10/10, and so is the story. It's about 13 hours long. Here's the sample:

Terence McKenna waxes lyrical about everything under the sun, but psychedelics like DMT and Mushrooms are themes he keeps coming back to.

pimsleur, learn a language

Why not just crank through one long book? Ulysses, Crime and Punishment, something like that. I went through Crime and Punishment one week when I was home sick and really enjoyed it. It was around 30 hours if I remember correctly.

Free on itunes too (thought I don't think this is the exact version that I listened to).

https://itunes.apple.com/us/itunes-u/cri...9677?mt=10

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

Quote: (08-13-2015 06:28 PM)storm Wrote:  

Great suggestions. Dan Carlin has been recommended many times before. Worth looking into.

Quote: (08-13-2015 04:15 PM)Gorgiass Wrote:  

Gorgiass which lectures from TTC do you recommend?

Really depends which subjects you're interested in. The one on economics by Timothy Taylor stands out most in my mind. Both on the World Wars were interesting, although they were probably 35 hours each at least. One of the shorter good ones was highlights of medical advancements - "Doctors - The History of Scientific Medicine Revealed Through Biography". Amazing to hear what surgery was like only 150 years ago. The one on Russia was good, might have been "Rise and Fall of Communism" I'm thinking of. I have a ton of them and haven't listened to most, but looking over the list I'm going to start up again. Picked the username shortly after listening to the one on Plato's dialogues but that and most of the philosophy ones were pretty dry, nihilism aside. All personal preference, you can get courses on everything from physics to art from them.

If you don't have something already check out http://www.amazon.com/Soundfly-Player-Tr...B0018P7WZ2 Just load up a thumb drive and plug and play. For longer files it's useful to use a program to divide a single file up by either time or number of smaller files, several free programs will do.

Use keepvid to get your copy of video or audio only of stuff you want from youtube.

Infinite jest by David foster Wallace is incredible writing and the reader of the book is the best audiobook reader I've heard. I listen to audiobooks almost everyday.

Infinite jest is 50 hours or so. Very few slow parts.

There are a lot of good audiobooks and articles on mises.org

Quote: (08-13-2015 10:48 AM)Sonsowey Wrote:  

Thomas Carlyle is an excellent historian and philosopher, who coined the concept of history being "but the biographies of great men" as well as the term "the dismal science" for economics. Here several audiobooks of his are available for free. I am currently listening to the Early Kings of Norway. His book on the French Revolution is widely reknowned for excellence.

He is a bit infamous among those who even know him because he was plainly against democracy and the ideals of the French Revolution.

https://librivox.org/author/4602?primary...et_results

Thomas Carlyle is great

Stefan Molyneux is great. You can find him at Free Domain Radio

"You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it." -Monsieur Gustave H, The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Ketosis Datasheet
Diet Update #1

I have greatly enjoyed many of the "Stuff They Don't Want You to Know" podcasts. Also, "The Naked Scientists" has entertained me quite a bit.