rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How much per year do we need for our lifestyle?

Sometimes i feel like stop working and i start believing that i already have enough money to live this lifestyle, but then i think about making those millions and have lots of consistent income for the rest of my life and this made me decide that i need to combine both time and money, 6 months hard hustling, the other 6 months to travel around the world and just chill (sometimes i may just take two holidays a year if im really busy working).

However i wonder how much do we really need to live a confortable life with our lifestyle, taking into account that im not the type to spend 100 dollars in one night when i go clubbing, neither i usually stay in expensive hotels, i dont spend money buying dinners for women, unless im really cool with her or i fucked her already and i believe although i like eating out everyday, im not the type of person who spends a lot of money.

How much per year do you think we need to live a good lifestyle similar to ours?

Im 25 so im also thinking long term. I know we have some olders on here, i would appreciate your advice.

Thanks.

Quote: (06-08-2011 03:08 AM)pitt Wrote:  

Im 25 so im also thinking long term. I know we have some olders on here, i would appreciate your advice.

Thanks.

It depends on where you live, but if you want to stretch your money as far as possible you'll want to live and travel in places that offer the lowest cost of living. Latin America is really great for this, especially countries like Uruguay, Paraguay, and Ecuador...

Even in the more expensive countries like Brazil, if you stay out of the big cities you can consistently keep your cost of living below $100/day.

A lot of it depends on lifestyle and how much you economize also, but it's definitely doable. Although working 6 months then traveling six months is one way to do it, ultimately I think the best option is detaching your income from your geographic location. So that would mean figuring out a way to make money from anywhere. This way you could live practically anywhere you want, travel whenever you want, come and go as you please.

Obvious statement:
If you go to Latin America (and many other areas but my post is about LA) you can live much cheaper than in the United States, Canada, and similar areas.

Evidence:
I was talking to an American woman who married a Colombian guy and they live in Colombia with their son and their total household income is less than $400 per month. (He works, she does not)

A European guy lives in Peru along with his Peruvian wife and child and makes about $375 per month teaching English. I am not certain if she still works but if she did it would be less than $350 per month. So definitely less than $725 a month in income.

A friend who lives in Buenos Aires works full time as a graphics designer/photographer and makes $600 a month. He does side jobs as well for an additional $100 to $200 per month. $800 per month max. (not married, no kids)

They all survive and have a good life. For me, I will like to have a much larger income and never have to worry about ever falling short.

My goal is to get passive income between $2,000 and $3,000 a month with half online and half offline. I am looking at buying a small office building in the United States and then handing it off to a property manager. The PM take 10% and sends me a check for the rest. With a PM, I do not have to deal with tenant issues or any other headaches. I prefer an office building because tenants are a lot less likely to have all the issues a home renter would have. As for online, I am doing great with that now but with online it can end any day and you lick your wounds and build something else.

It definitely depends on where you want to go. At first, I'd suggest taking full advantage of geo-arbitrage, that is where your money goes so much further. Thailand is a great place, as are the Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia even China. Argentina as well is a good place for that. For these places, i'd say a minimum of 2k/month is required to have a GREAT lifestyle altough, in most of these places, 1.5 or even 1k would do it if one is more frugal and goes local. Agreed that Brasil outside of the major cities can be done for cheap, but you'd have to go local pretty much.

I don't make a whole lot of money, but even when I wasn't using money to regularly to pick up women I was spending about $500/mo going out. Now, that number is closer to $1000/mo. The key is being smart with what you have.

My dad probably spends about 3x (at least) that and lives very comfortably. I think you can get away with $2k/mo and live a happy lifestyle of game without being a baller.

Vice-Captain - #TeamWaitAndSee

Quote: (06-08-2011 08:05 AM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Argentina as well is a good place for that.

I would think so with the exchange, however, I keep hearing conflicting things about the cost of living in BA. I'm pretty confused about BA.

For me my main priority is FREEDOM to go and do the things I wanna do.

I dont need a big house or the nicest car. I dont need to stay in the nicest hotels when I travel or eat out every night.

Lets say there is a concert in so and so, I want to be able to pickup and go without thinking twice. Lets say I wanna go to SA for a month. I wanna be able to do that no problem.

For me at the very least I could live a nice freedom lifestyle is if i could make 1-2k OVER my expenses every month.

I gonna hing all my bets on the Real Estate game when I get up a decent stash from working in Asia hopefully within the nxt 2-5 yrs.

That question is way to general and way too many variables, there are a millions ways to define success or good lifestyle but one way to define failure, not doing what you want too.

If you live in NYC and want to have fun its gonna take alot more $$ than living in Thailand. One you need $20,000 a month another $2,000 so create the kind of life you want and calculate the cost. Read 4 Hr work week if you need help.

In the DR I can't spend more than 2K a month and I try very hard, eat out breakfast lunch dinner, drinks, party bottle service, day trips etc, my friends have a 2-3 bedroom apartment across street from beach drink party, etc and they make about $1000 -$1200 a month and they have girlfriends and children.

Hell the rent on my place in Dallas was $1900 a month and texas is lower cost, so it depends.

Create you dream life, then price it out.

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/lifestyle-costing/

Come on guys, i thought you had better goals..im thinking 10 thousand dollars minimum a month. 2000 a month will make you want to have more and more, 2000 dollars a month is not money to make you relaxed for the rest of your life (then there is not guarantee that you will make that money for the rest of your life).

Quote: (06-09-2011 10:06 AM)pitt Wrote:  

Come on guys, i thought you had better goals..im thinking 10 thousand dollars minimum a month. 2000 a month will make you want to have more and more, 2000 dollars a month is not money to make you relaxed for the rest of your life (then there is not guarantee that you will make that money for the rest of your life).

In my case, I can't spend more than 2k a month (I make over 10k a month so that's not the issue.)

It's just the point of me trying to make 30k+ a month won't improve my lifestyle that much, the trade off is not worth the additional effort.

There is no guarantee you will you will make it to your 6 months of relaxing after your 6 months of hustling either, or continue to make $10 k a month once you reach it.

And you can't knock someone else answers, you posted the question. Sounds like you wanted some validation on your "work you ass off for the next 10-15 year while you try to make millions" then travel the world and enjoy it plan (theory).

I think you need to check out the AARP forum to see how that plan worked out for people that followed the same plan.

It seems most of the people on this forum tend to value Freedom.

Quote:Quote:

"And How much per year do you think we need to live a good lifestyle similar to ours?"

If you already living it, then you should have your answer?

taking into account that im not the type to spend 100 dollars in one night when i go clubbing, neither i usually stay in expensive hotels, i dont spend money buying dinners for women, unless im really cool with her or i fucked her already and i believe although i like eating out everyday, im not the type of person who spends a lot of money.

Then wth do you need millions for if you not spending alot of $$ anyway. $100 a day is around $3k a month and you state you spend LESS than that so what's the point.

I think what you really wanted to know is how much do other people living this lifestyle make ?

txbeachbum great points, but let me disagree with you in some points.

Your income is far from being the average income of most people that want to live this lifestyle, so i highly believe that your income gives you the perspective of living today, enjoying it today and basically dont postpone your happiness or freedom. If everybody on this forum was making such money, believe me they would be just travelling and not worrying much about the future.

I probably could also move to a country that i really like and start living there without doing anything and i would probably still be making 1000 dollars minimum per month, but i need to think long term and put it in my mind that i really need more money than i spend. Also just travelling without doing anything bores me after a while. Usually when im on holiday and no matter how much fun im having, after 2 months maximum of staying in that place, i get bored and i feel like i want to have a responsibility. So why not combine both work and freedom. There are many jobs out there that you dont need to be working 12 months per year, if you get to work 6 months per year and make good money and do whatever you want with your other 6 months than it is perfect.

Now im thinking of Steven Pavlina, he is a great writer, but i dislike the fact of him disencouraging people from working for a company. Although i would agree that it is always good to have your business, but recommending people to give up their career jobs and go run their own business, it is not something smart to do, specially when you know that it is a proven fact that only 5% out of 100 succeed in business.

Quote: (06-08-2011 11:42 PM)txbeachbum Wrote:  

That question is way to general and way too many variables, there are a millions ways to define success or good lifestyle but one way to define failure, not doing what you want too.

If you live in NYC and want to have fun its gonna take alot more $$ than living in Thailand. One you need $20,000 a month another $2,000 so create the kind of life you want and calculate the cost. Read 4 Hr work week if you need help.

In the DR I can't spend more than 2K a month and I try very hard, eat out breakfast lunch dinner, drinks, party bottle service, day trips etc, my friends have a 2-3 bedroom apartment across street from beach drink party, etc and they make about $1000 -$1200 a month and they have girlfriends and children.

Hell the rent on my place in Dallas was $1900 a month and texas is lower cost, so it depends.

Create you dream life, then price it out.

here's an nyc benchmark: my friends and i priced out a moderate lifestyle in nyc at around 160k. at that income you can basically go out 4x week, take trips, have a nice studio pad (no roommates), save a bit of money, go on dates, pay your student loans, have nice clothes, etc. at this level, you're eating at mediocre restaurants and maybe a nice steakhouse once or twice a month. you're definitely not baller status, but it allows for a comfortable lifestyle and you're not thinking about your checking account balance every time you throw your debit card down. agree with gmac, i spend about 1000/month going out. the key is to make that much money and still have the time to enjoy it.

Quote: (06-10-2011 02:32 AM)pitt Wrote:  

so i highly believe that your income gives you the perspective of living today, enjoying it today and basically dont postpone your happiness or freedom.

Correction I had that perspective BEFORE I started making that kind of money, I chose to pick freedom over security..that is why I obtained both.

Also just travelling without doing anything bores me after a while. Usually when im on holiday and no matter how much fun im having, after 2 months maximum of staying in that place, i get bored and i feel like i want to have a responsibility.

That is a personal hang up that you have, what and who defines "responsibility" ? Is getting a mortgage, getting married, having kids, doing yard work, climbing the corporate ladder make you a responsible person?

You can travel and still have responsibility you just need something bigger than yourself to work on during your travels, volunteer, write a book, start a blog about you passion doesn't matter.

So why not combine both work and freedom. There are many jobs out there that you dont need to be working 12 months per year, if you get to work 6 months per year and make good money and do whatever you want with your other 6 months than it is perfect.

Who says you can't do this with your own business?

Now im thinking of Steven Pavlina, he is a great writer, but i dislike the fact of him disencouraging people from working for a company. Although i would agree that it is always good to have your business, but recommending people to give up their career jobs and go run their own business, it is not something smart to do, specially when you know that it is a proven fact that only 5% out of 100 succeed in business.

Steve Pavlina blog is for the 5% of people who want to live extraordinary lives, it is called "Personal Development for SMART PEOPLE" not everybody.

Once again what is this career thing people keep talking about, especially at 25 yrs old, the chance of having a 10-20 year career in any field is just as slim as your chances of starting a business but with a much lower payoff.

If your need for security and being responsible is higher than your need for freedom, then this lifestyle may not be for you.

Scared man (or money) can't win!

In all honesty it sounds like you are looking for validation aka excuse to follow the path you're on, but by posting here you obviously are having some doubts about the plan and know deep down it isn't you, you just afraid to fail. You trying to figure out a way to play it safe (security) and still have still some freedom. Won't happen.

There is an inverse relationship between security & freedom those people with the most security have the least amount for freedom.

Example - people in military have guaranteed, food, shelter clothing etc, but they also have the least amount of freedom. (Please keep your one off stories about this one person you know in military who... bla bla bla that is the exception not the norm)

Prisoners - have everything taken care of for them, but are also told when to sleep, eat, shower, etc.

Just like the other post about how important are friends, if it didn't really bother you, you would not have posted the question. looking for validation.

Those who are out there traveling understand being a lone wolf is part of the game, and accept it. The price you pay. Otherwise you could be an sheep and have all the friends you want, but for me it's not a option.

Some people are mentally stronger than others due too many factors, and I think it comes into play when you trying to live this lifestyle.

People who are in alignment with the path they're on don't seek validation from others, it just feels right and you don't need to ask you just do it.

Also speaking of Steve Pavilina he mentions your 6 month on off work schedule in his post 1 week on 1 week off

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2010/02...-week-off/

But never call the grapes sour, because you can't reach them.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.

Here is a pic for you

[attachment=1834]

Sure you can live for $1,000 in Brazil or Argentina but you'll be living in a shitty part of town and counting every peso.

$2,000 a month is a good target for South America to live comfortably in a decent part of town.

$3,000 a month will be approaching pimp status in South America, Eastern Europe, SE Asia.

Roosh,
For Brasil, as I'm not too familiar with the rest of SA, $3k/month will give you a good lifestyle if you live as a local. To live a pimp lifestyle, you'd need a lot more. To a favelado/a, having 3k/month, yes you'd look as a pimp, but to a middle-upper class, you'd look a broke ass dude. Btw, when I say you, I'm not referring to you personally but as a general you. Just want to clarify things...
For SEA, depending on places, in BKK or the Philippines (in the Phils for 3k/month, you'd be a royalty almost LOL), definitely, you'd live it up quiete nicely. For other areas like Hong Kong, Singapore and especially Tokyo, you'd be barely covering your rent at most.

texbeachbum,
Thank you for posting that link to Steve Pavlina's one week on, one week off strategy. One of my main challenges has been focus and productivity and I'm going to apply that game plan from now. I'll report how it goes.

Cheers.

txbeachbum i have been travellling around the world non stop since i was 16, in the last 5 years i have been doing it more intensive than ever before, never had a job till 3 months ago, loved my freedom, always had my businesses. But i looked at everybody who lived a similar lifestyle to mine, they are now in their late 30's, early 40's, dudes are broke as fuck, all they do is tell you stories and im not looking to live off stories. Plus my business busted and when shit is going wrong, i think people should look for better options, thats what i have done, and you said that i cant combine both work and freedom? Many do it, few people like this are even on this forum. Its great that shit worked for you in a different way, but advising younger cats to follow the same route you did with way less income than you have, not a wise option for me. My 1000 dollars a month is not even guaranteed for the next 2 years, why would i just travel around the world and then become hella broke again and start all from zero.

I think we all have different perspectives in life, however i wouldnt mind limit my freedom for few years in order to make more money and then become more stable and secure. But i just wanted to hear how some of you cats are living this lifestyle and what i have done till now, works completely fine for me and if it is working fine, then im definetely not doing anything wrong.

Here is my opinion which is controversial amongst some....

If you want to travel (many different places) or even just game all day, I would say this is the best setup (assuming you are American)

1) Get a job and live in a smaller town near a big city. A job that pays well, and more importantly if you are in to travel, has either lots of vacation time or flexible work hours location. The reason being that outside of the city your costs are lower and if you want to party on the weekend (only time you usually have anyway) or fly out to an exotic destination, you can do that.

i.e., why live in Manhattan when you can live in Poughkeepsie? Or why live in Midtown ATL when you can live in Decatur or Rockdale County? Same with SF, LA etc.

Especially at young ages, saving money is important and remember every dollar you waste on a $2k apartment or eating out at 4 star restaurants reduces your budget to travel and live.

If you are within 2 hours of a major international airport, watch for ticket savers or plan ahead and take your trips.

2) Choose a job that will eventually offer international opportunities. This can be hard since it means you will probably have to work for a big MNC but it can give a lot more opportunities.

If you do this and LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS 5 days a week (i.e. cook for yourself, make your own lunch, no impulse purchases) and have some "fun" money for the weekends, you can do a lot with $50k/year before tax or even $40k though you would have to save for a while to build up a kitty at that level.

I have to say if you are 25 and your target is 10k/month that's a little ambitious.

Major piece of advice: think about how long you plan to live the international traveling playboy lifestyle - 10 years, 20 years, or forever? Till you are 40, 50, 60? How about 70? Life expectancy for a US male is 78.
What if you decide to get married, have kids, buy a house to raise them in, and send them to college?

It's easy to look at a guy like Roosh and tell yourself "I want to live like that" - but Roosh probably sells 500 books/month @$10 and putting his $5k in the bank for when he decides to settle down with his Mariana or whatever 10 years down the road. Are you going to be doing that, or just living it easy while you are young and free?

The way I look at it is this.

I want to LIVE UP my 20'-30's traveling the world and having fun.

For most ppl it just isnt realistic to be able to TRULY live the life when they are young and save and build for the future esp in a corporate environment. There is not to many jobs that will allow you to take off 2 months and go party it up in Colombia or Brazil. Fuck those lil one week trips. That aint shit and only makes me depressed.

For me personally, even if all the money I save up and invest FAILS by the time I hit 40-50 its gonna be all good. By that time i will have a family and kids and I will not need anything grand. Any average job, average house, average car will do. I will have lived the life I wanted to and will have no regrets!

Now obviously I hope I succeed with my business/money plan and dont have to get a 9-5 when I get 40 but either way its ALL GOOD.

Also if your goal is to spend $10,000 a month on your lifestyle you need to be making a lot more than $10,000 a month, probably closer to $20,000 once you pay taxes and put a little aside.

Quote: (06-10-2011 10:51 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Roosh,
For Brasil, as I'm not too familiar with the rest of SA, $3k/month will give you a good lifestyle if you live as a local. To live a pimp lifestyle, you'd need a lot more. To a favelado/a, having 3k/month, yes you'd look as a pimp, but to a middle-upper class, you'd look a broke ass dude. Btw, when I say you, I'm not referring to you personally but as a general you. Just want to clarify things...
For SEA, depending on places, in BKK or the Philippines (in the Phils for 3k/month, you'd be a royalty almost LOL), definitely, you'd live it up quiete nicely. For other areas like Hong Kong, Singapore and especially Tokyo, you'd be barely covering your rent at most.
When you say 3k are you referring to 3000 in income or 3000 in spending money?

Quote: (06-10-2011 10:04 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

$3,000 a month will be approaching pimp status in South America, Eastern Europe, SE Asia.

This depends. Some major expenses are:
  • Car. I like to roll in a nice car. Even a midsize sedan costs $1000/mo to run.
  • Rent, if applicable. $800-1000/mo for a studio is the norm in all major Indian cities.
  • How often you go out for recreation and what that entails. If you do cocaine, bang high end hookers (an unfortunate necessity in this part of the world) and generally have a blast: $500 is the absolute minimum for a night out.
  • Consumerism/stuff you buy. I don't have this problem but a lot of people like to buy stuff regularly.
So I'd say 5k/mo spending money to be comfortable. 7k for pimp status. Double that income minimum...

A bit off topic and most of you probably already know this, but making 15-20k/mo is not that hard. To make $1k/day you need to make $41 an hour. That could well be four websites selling something with a $20 profit margin and one sale every couple of hours (12 sales a day each site).

Nothing happens until a sale is made.

Don't forget Inflation...eats away at your savings silently....have the bulk of your savings in relatively save investments:Blue chip stocks/Index linked fund/Bonds.

Everybody wants to escape the Grind...reality is there's always a price to pay and a commitment to make,for whatever it is you want.