rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The United Kingdom really sucks?

Whats' the ugly truth about the UK?

Many(most English)guys here often bash the UK,saying things such as:

"Don't go there"
"The UK is a shitty place"
"London stinks"
"Birmingham is a shithole "
"the Girls are ugly,Stag parties, the food is terrible, the weather makes you want to kill yourself"

and so on.

On the other hand, now and then, I listen to some friends from med/tropical places (Like Brazil,Portugal,Spain) state the opposite:

"I had the time of my life in London".
"I was able to bang and meet girls from the US,Australia and from all over the world in London".
"I loved Brighton".
"Scots are great people"
"Wales is charming"
"I've never partied as hard as I did in London"
"UK is the best place to earn money (even on crisis time) and to have access to culture,consumer goods and easy travel roots for other EU location"

I know some people who came from money background in Brazil that loved London so much that they were never able to come back.

So, that's the question that's on my mind :The UK really sucks?

Chicks need to be on rotation like a Netflix queue

I grew up in the UK, right in the heart of London. I wouldn't go to any other part of UK personally as London was the most multicultural. Whenever I went to other parts of UK, I realised what it is like if one grows up as a minority. Never felt like a minority in London.

However, I found London mean and expensive. I hate the weather. After travelling to the US as a teen, I didn't see why I had to work thrice as hard to get half as hot women and an apartment half as small and half the amount in food.

But that's just me, I am comparing it to other Western countries. If I grew up in Brazil, I'm sure I'd have a different level of appreciation.

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

Personally I think there's elements of truth in both sets of statements (the first set is exaggerated though - although Birmingham is a shithole [Image: smile.gif] ).......if you have money, free time and know where the hotspots are London is easily the best city in Europe to party in.....
I would expand on this but I'm on my 'phone in the one part of the UK that doesn't believe in 3g....when I get proper signal I will!

I am English.

I lived in London for about 15 years and I still have a pad there today.

London is easily the most cosmipolitan city in the world. You can live there and pick up 50 different flags if you wanted to.

British girls, with some notable exceptions, are not really hot but in a cosmopolitan place like London its not really a problem.

"The UK really sucks?"

No.

I think London is dope. Hell, there are honestly only a couple of American cities that even hold a candle to it.

The class and quality of the place makes America look cheap in comparison.

Expensive though.

Quote: (06-06-2011 09:26 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

"The UK really sucks?"

No.

I think London is dope. Hell, there are honestly only a couple of American cities that even hold a candle to it.

Expensive though.

G no offense but you have never lived there. Going to somewhere as a tourist is an ENTIRELY different perspective.

You are just quoting travel brochure talk. You went there with money, you went to Marylebone, they oo'd and ahh'd your American accent and your swag and you made your mind up.
Work there, live there for years and then I'd love to hear your song.
You'll run back to the U.S with tears in your eyes.

You try living there for five years and I'll see you sing the same tune when you have to buy a rainjacket to prevent your custom suit from Saville Row from being destroyed by the incessant downpours. When you find out that there is hardly any sun and when you see the level of hater-ism in London.

I remember playing ball once, these guys both jumped this guy from NYC just because they were hating on America. The British culture is about hating.

For an interesting and accurate depiction of London, obtain and watch the two films called Kidulthood and Adulthood. It's based on the West London lifestyle (West London is the most affluent part of London, Madonna and Gillian Anderson have a house there and you will often see Hugh Grant milling around).
When you absorb that film, you will see what the deal is with London.

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards

London is also small and crowded.

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards

Quote: (06-06-2011 10:03 AM)Moma Wrote:  

[
G no offense but you have never lived there. Going to somewhere as a tourist is an ENTIRELY different perspective.

I lived in London for 5 years, and it is one of the greatest cities in the world..

Quote:Quote:

No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."

"Sir, if you wish to have a just notion of the magnitude of this city, you must not be satisfied with seeing its great streets and squares, but must survey the innumerable little lanes and courts. It is not in the showy evolutions of buildings, but in the multiplicity of human habitations which are crowded together, that the wonderful immensity of London consists."

Samuel Johnson wrote that in the 1700s. It is just as true today as it was then.

Quote: (06-06-2011 10:09 AM)ManAbout Wrote:  

[

I lived in London for 5 years, and it is one of the greatest cities in the world..

And where are you now?

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards

Quote: (06-06-2011 10:04 AM)Moma Wrote:  

Small?

Hmmm, I lived there 15 years and did not get a chance to explore every district of the city.

Quote: (06-06-2011 10:41 AM)Lumiere Wrote:  

Small?

Hmmm, I lived there 15 years and did not get a chance to explore every district of the city.

LOL, you must be from the land of gulliver then! I exhausted London quickly. Small roads, small houses, small portions of meals, small shoes, small clothes..etc..

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards

Quote: (06-06-2011 10:35 AM)Moma Wrote:  

And where are you now?

I am in Toronto now. I have also lived in NYC and Boston. I was depressed for the first 2 years I moved here from London. This was a while ago when Toronto was not nearly as cosmopolitan and worldly as it is now. It is better, but still nowhere near London.

Quote: (06-06-2011 10:50 AM)ManAbout Wrote:  

And where are you now?

I am in Toronto now. I have also lived in NYC and Boston. I was depressed for the first 2 years I moved here from London. This was a while ago when Toronto was not nearly as cosmopolitan and worldly as it is now. It is better, but still nowhere near London.

When did you move here from London?

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards

Quote: (06-06-2011 10:47 AM)Moma Wrote:  

Quote: (06-06-2011 10:41 AM)Lumiere Wrote:  

Small?

LOL, you must be from the land of gulliver then! I exhausted London quickly. Small roads, small houses, small portions of meals, small shoes, small clothes..etc..

Ridiculous, London is huge, where exactly would you consider a big city?

Quote: (06-06-2011 10:47 AM)Moma Wrote:  

I exhausted London quickly.

What this tells me is that you did not actually see London. You 'did' London.

Toronto is bigger than London. London has more people but you have a lot more space in Toronto. That's my statement of size. Ability to move around without having to smell your neighbour's fart every other second.

You guys can keep your London. How about you swop your American passport for my British one? Then you can sip your warm beer, huddle underneath your umbrellas and watch your footie while staring into the cavity riddled mouth of a British bird who doesn't brush after tossing her cookies.
I'll pour one out in your memories as I pound out yet another fat pig from DC...

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards

Quote: (06-06-2011 10:53 AM)Moma Wrote:  

And where are you now?

Over 10 years ago. And your statement that London is "small" is quite amusing. Even if you spent your whole life there, you wouldn't be able to "exhaust" London. You are totally way off.

Maybe London is the most cosmopolitan (I'm not sure I believe that, although it is certainly up there), but the UK, and London to a not much lesser extent is a pretty racist place. I have several cousins who live there and its not always pleasant. This year the current prime minister stated multiculturalism has failed in the UK. So much for being cosmopolitan....

Quote: (06-06-2011 09:26 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

"The UK really sucks?"

No.

Expensive though.

You are just quoting travel brochure talk. You went there with money, you went to Marylebone, they oo'd and ahh'd your American accent and your swag and you made your mind up.
Work there, live there for years and then I'd love to hear your song.
You'll run back to the U.S with tears in your eyes.

You try living there for five years and I'll see you sing the same tune when you have to buy a rainjacket to prevent your custom suit from Saville Row from being destroyed by the incessant downpours. When you find out that there is hardly any sun and when you see the level of hater-ism in London.

I remember playing ball once, these guys both jumped this guy from NYC just because they were hating on America. The British culture is about hating.

For an interesting and accurate depiction of London, obtain and watch the two films called Kidulthood and Adulthood. It's based on the West London lifestyle (West London is the most affluent part of London, Madonna and Gillian Anderson have a house there and you will often see Hugh Grant milling around).
When you absorb that film, you will see what the deal is with London.

Moma -

True.

I am basing my opinion on staying there for a 3 week clip and under. A short to medium stay tourist not a person living there.

And when I go it is usually during the months with better weather.

Point well taken.

Good tips on the movies.

THe uk has issues but if you can't have a good time in London then you definately need help. I lived there for a few years and now I live an hour away and still there are hundreds of areas I have never been to. As a center of night life and culture London is hard to beat by any city I have been to.

Quote: (06-06-2011 11:04 AM)ManAbout Wrote:  

Quote: (06-06-2011 10:53 AM)Moma Wrote:  

And where are you now?

Over 10 years ago. And your statement that London is "small" is quite amusing. Even if you spent your whole life there, you wouldn't be able to "exhaust" London. You are totally way off.

No offense, but I grew up in London. I went to primary school, secondary school etc there..if there is any authority on the city, esta mi. I exhausted that place. I do not regret moving away for any day. The place is over populated, over priced, dirty and small.

If it was so great for you, why did you leave? Why didn't you do everything in your power to remain there?

Let me drop a new post listing the pros and cons and you can refute any of those that you think are misguided from my standpoint.

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards

I grew up in the UK, South London to be exact. I wouldn't go to any other part of UK personally as London was the most multicultural. Whenever I went to other parts of UK, I realised what it is like if one grows up as a minority. Never felt like a minority in London.

Now personally, I've had the fortune to have travelled widely. I have fam dispersed all over the U.S, some family friends situated in Canada (which I leveraged to position myself here) and I have fam in the Caribbean and Afrique.

Contrasting ALL of these environments, I find London to be severely inferior. Standard of living does not MATCH up to Canada or the U.S. I have friends and fam that were born and bred in the U.K, they leveraged me as the first opportunity to fly into North America and all were wow'ed by the standard of living I have.

Bear in mind, I am not balling. I don't have a whip, I am renting but just the basic necessities that I have totally overwhelm theirs in the UK (they all drive and are mortgaging a tiny house).

CONS TO THE UK
I can only give you my account of London as I did not grow up outside of London, never lived outside of London and to be honest, I had no interest in living outside of London.
As my mum aptly stated, the thing about the UK is that the only place that is really jumping in DIFFERENT avenues is London. There are no other major cities (unless things have changed) that even compare.

As a quick comparison, you have multiple cities in the U.S where you can get things 'popping' i.e. Miami, NYC, LA. Chicago, Houston etc)
I used to go to Liverpool often for summers to visit fam. Every time people heard I was from London, they would swarm me like I were John from the Beatles.

For Canada, you have Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver that can hold their own.

Now...
For you guys (and gal) that grew up in warm sunny countries, you will find the British weather oppressive and depressing. As rudebwoy stated in the other thread, winter months can result in days without seeing sunshine. People used to sunny weather especially those with darker complexions i.e Latin people, Afro people will suffer from SADS (Seasonal Affect Disorder Syndrome).
They become moany, complain and gripe with huge chips on their shoulder. Sense of humour lies in seeing someone else suffer and get hurt.
Yes, they are obsessed with sex. Most of the jokes involve wanking, spunking, wanking, shagging, arse etc. For those of you from countries where sex is no sweat but part of the culture you will find that people will target you only to fcuk you and then after that, they move on.
My Danish friend found that out quickly when she dated seven or more guys. She fcuked them all (casually) and after that found out the guys wanted no more to do with her. The relationships with women (in London) didn't seem to expand much further than just wanting to fcuk (very small minded).

All people wanted to do was get drunk (lean), or smoke 'sum ting' and fcuk a gyal.
That was a LunnPoly for the guys.
So many people would smoke and spit, spit. So much spitting in London. Nasty.
Dirty streets. No enforced anti-litter campaign. The amount of time I stepped in dog shyt was unbelievable.

EXPENSIVE

You pay for everything. Transport is expensive, petrol is expensive, car etc. With this in mind, you will find that people will be constantly aware of how much it costs. Let's say you want someone to drop you off somewhere. They might drop you off at a bus stop because they are very cognizant of petrol prices.

Take some friends out for a dinner. 60 bucks (quid if you are in the UK) will NOT get you the same quality that you would get if you were to pay for that in a restauraunt in Toronto or some city in the U.S.
For Pete's sake, last time I was there, there was a restauraunt charging 15 pounds for a plate of roaches and other associated vermin!!

If you rent, you have to pay housing tax, you have to pay for a tv license, you pay for every unit of electricity and gas that you use.
This means what one might be used to in North America, coming home and running all sorts of electrical appliances will be disproved of in the UK because these will all eat your bill.

Many days I came home forgetting how much I had put on the gas meter, to light the stove to warm up some baked beans and find out the stove wouldn't light.
Why? Because I'd run out of gas and I had to go to the petrol station to top up my card.
There was no free outgoing phone calls (all incoming are free whether you have a mobile or a house phone). So pillow talk will run ya pockets (if you initiate the call).

I heard of a lot of robberies when I grew up, mainly behind the Stanley knife but they have now graduating to guns.

Good things about U.K.

You meet a large variety of intelligent people there. The general level of intelligence is higher there compared to... With scarcity in materials, you have to be really sharp in order to get a job. Just going for a temp job, they want to know what you got in your GCSE's (a UK equivalent of the North American GED except it is completed by 15 or 16 years old at latest).

If you don't have those qualifications, forget it, hit the construction site or something.

Even game, I was FORCED to step it up to get some pussy. I was on redpoint and wasn't going to get NO pussy being beta so I came to a point and said fcuk it. I saw all sorts of guys banging lizards around and I said..fcuk dat, I have nothing else to look forward to and I copied what I saw which was road game (a big part of South London).

I got less flakes in the U.K. If a woman didn't want you, she might just say so or be kinder and say she doesn't have a phone right now.
I remember one woman that was just cussing out my best wingman after we just finished at the Ministry of Sound.
Here in Toronto, she would have smiled at him and given him her real number (and never picked up when he calls).
I think due to the fact that there it is expensive in London, if a woman links you, she will most likely test out the sex. If she doesn't like you and doesn't give you the pum, she will NOT go out with you again. It's not worth wasting her time and yours.
Torontonians will encourage beta-ism and happily 'date' a guy for months with no intimacy.
In London, I'd never gone to a woman's place or have her come to mine in private and not been able to hide the sausage. And I'm not saying because my game was super tight, that's just how the UK mentality is.

They are less anal than North America are about things such as minor criminal offences. I often knew of assaults between grown adults with no charges. My wingman went through a series of weeks where he was assaulted by the bouncer one week, a woman the next week and no charges were brought up.

There, the Feds generally used their common sense. They know that peoplewill have a disagreement at times and will let certain things slide to a certain level.
Here in North America, you breathe on someone the wrong way, they report it, you are charged and you have a record and then you are fcuked.

You can drink alcohol on the streets. They will only card you if you blatantly look under 18 (in London). Smaller cities you can get a drink if you are 14 if you so wish.
Here in Canada, they don't card me but they give me this silly brown bag to keep my alcohol in???!! When I first moved here, I was holding my rum and drinking it in my hand (fcuk a brown bag!!) the way I always do in London and I was getting funny looks. Then I remembered from the movies, that peeps always used to keep that bullshit covered up.

As previously said, you can travel to other European cities for the price of piss (which is nothing) compared to Canada which is the North American rape central of travelling.
I went return to Paris via ferry and coach for 20 quid. I did Amsterdam return (coach) on 60 quid.
My friend flies from Denmark to London return for about 8 quid or sometimes 4 quid.
One of my friends will do a return to Bulgaria for about 40 quid if he is tired of the London B.S.
So, with the right mindset, you can really experience and enjoy Europe by living in London.

The sterling is still powerful on a global scene so you can actually send that money back home and get your people to open up a stall, or build a house because as long as you keep that money in the UK, you will NEVER get the same return you would on a global scene.

I know one cat who did the smart thing and built a house in Jamrock using the pounds so he can retire without all that landtax shyt etc that Lizzie likes to do to fund her handwaving campaign.

Also, if you stay in the UK for a decade, you get citizenship. I know two guys that hung around for that frame and finally got their maroon books.
I know you can live in the US for a million centuries and they will tell you to fcuk off unless you get the papers the right way.
Canada is fairly similar although Canada is more lenient on how many peeps they let in (after all, there are taxis to be driven and who better than a qualified heart surgeon?).

So those are the pros and cons from an insider (now outside).

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards

"I loved Brighton".

The only guys saying that are gay.

Some interesting points Moma.

With very large cities there are always going to be lots of different opinions, it's like if were to ask 20 peoples views on New York. Everyone's will be different, you can't really nail it down because it is just so diverse.

I'm from the UK so no US passport to trade you.

I'd definitely agree with two of your main gripes; it can be very expensive and the climate isn't great.

To state another Pro for the UK, I love their parts of their culture. I guess that at least 2/3 of the music I listen to is from the UK. Just think Blur, The Smiths, Oasis, Coldplay, Pulp, Depeche Mode, Joy Division, Arctic Monkeys or Muse. That's one thing I admire about that country. Also, British TV has some jewels to offer (Blackadder, The Office, IT Crowd, Extras, Monty Python, Fawlty Towers). Then you have a really intense take of football (maybe too intense sometimes). So, there is something in British culture that really speaks to me. Never mind the weather, where I come from we basically have the same rainy weather.