rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

500,000,000 people in India still shit out in the open...
00,000,000 people in India still shit out in the open...
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-33438573

Quote:Quote:

New research suggests pregnant women who defecate in the open are more likely to have a premature delivery or give birth to a baby with low weight than those who use toilets.

Among the rural and tribal women studied, almost 60% said they had no access to toilets when questioned during the first three months of their pregnancy, while of the 40% who did live in a household with one installed, more than half reported using it rarely or a few times a week.

Essentially, with or without a toilet most people in rural India still prefer to crap wherever.

I suggest you have this article handy the next time a nose-pierced, mocha-sipping fattie in the US bitches about how companies don't offer enough paid maternity leave.

If only you knew how bad things really are.
Quote: (07-08-2015 01:43 PM)Peejers Wrote:  

New research suggests pregnant women who defecate in the open are more likely to have a premature delivery or give birth to a baby with low weight than those who use toilets.

Among the rural and tribal women studied, almost 60% said they had no access to toilets when questioned during the first three months of their pregnancy, while of the 40% who did live in a household with one installed, more than half reported using it rarely or a few times a week.

Essentially, with or without a toilet most people in rural India still prefer to crap wherever.

I suggest you have this article handy the next time a nose-pierced, mocha-sipping fattie in the US bitches about how companies don't offer enough paid maternity leave.

So they screech for fair trade Colombian coffee beans and maternity leave, when their Indian counterparts don't even have clean water and sewage? Who's the monster here?

[Image: zkchHW99a6tB6.gif]
I have a feeling being a tribal woman in India with little to no food or healthcare, has more of an influence on birth weight than where you choose take a shit.

But then again I went to state college.
Quote: (07-08-2015 01:58 PM)LINUX Wrote:  

I have a feeling being a tribal woman in India with little to no food or healthcare, has more of an influence on birth weight than where you choose take a shit.

I agree. Also, the sample size was also only 670.

I thought shitting squatting down was better for a person and the more natural way to take a dump?
Quote: (07-08-2015 01:58 PM)LINUX Wrote:  

But then again I went to state college.

Actually, many believe poor sanitation is more at play with India's health problems than caloric intake. Chronic digestive disease prevents absorption of nutrients and calories in the intestines.

From NYTimes:

It is a question being asked about children across India, where a long economic boom has done little to reduce the vast number of children who are malnourished and stunted, leaving them with mental and physical deficits that will haunt them their entire lives. Now, an emerging body of scientific studies suggest that Vivek and many of the 162 million other children under the age of 5 in the world who are malnourished are suffering less a lack of food than poor sanitation.

Like almost everyone else in their village, Vivek and his family have no toilet, and the district where they live has the highest concentration of people who defecate outdoors. As a result, children are exposed to a bacterial brew that often sickens them, leaving them unable to attain a healthy body weight no matter how much food they eat.

NYTimes: Poor Sanitation in India

“There is no global anthem, no global currency, no certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag, and that flag is the American flag!” -DJT
In the background of this story is the Indian economy turning out more computer scientists and programmers than civil engineers.

Arguably, with China next door, it's the failure of representative democracy.

WIA
I once went running and toward the end I really had to take a shit, so I did on my neighbor's lawn. This caused me a certain, though ephemeral, guilt and it will surely fuck up my unborn child.
Everyone should experience taking a shit in nature at least once in their life. You got crickets chirping around you, the babbling of a nearby stream and you're looking up at the stars while you drop a deuce.

Problem with the Indians is they do it even in the cities.
Quote: (07-08-2015 04:38 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

Everyone should experience taking a shit in nature at least once in their life. You got crickets chirping around you, the babbling of a nearby stream and you're looking up at the stars while you drop a deuce.

I used to think that. Then I took a dump while floating in the ocean. I now understand why some women choose to do a water birth.

10/14/15: The day I learned that convicted terrorists are treated with more human dignity than veterans.

And other hikers show up out of nowhere while you're squatting down barely out of sight, even though you had had the trail to yourself for the past two hours.
I guess I went wrong by taking a daylight shit rather than waiting for the crickets, stars and cover of nighttime.
Quote: (07-08-2015 01:43 PM)Peejers Wrote:  

I'm sure the fatties during child birth thought it was just a large shit coming through.
Quote: (07-08-2015 04:51 PM)teh_skeeze Wrote:  

I used to think that. Then I took a dump while floating in the ocean. I now understand why some women choose to do a water birth.

So true. I've set many a loaf free in the ocean while surfing (I'll piss in my wet suit but refuse to squamp in it or when I just dont feel like paddling in just to pinch one). It is best way. Plus the saltwater ass wash is way better than toilet paper. I highly recommend it

"Leap, and the net will appear". John Burroughs

"The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure."
Joseph Campbell
Also an issue in Mainland China.

You have to admit though, poison ivy pretty much sucks as toilet paper.
The problem is more severe than it seems.

The difference between piss and shit is night and day. Piss is a sterile mixture of actually beneficial nutrients that was even used for sterilization in WWI and WWII (if you don't have anything better). You can use piss for healthy and good fertilizer and even medicine to some degree.

Shit however is a toxic dump of our bodies - absolutely not suitable for anything but a long process of natural reintroduction into nature.

The biggest problem is that they are shitting in the fields where they grow food. So essentially India's local food supply is tainted by human shit and this is not something that we can eat. But many Indians do eat it and tourists do so too by proxy. India is associated with diarrhea for a reason.

Another point is of course the fact that people step into shit everywhere they go and flies stick to it. Next thing the fly comes and sit on your face or on your food spreading fecal bacteria onto your food. Even animals have the instinct of burying their shit in nature, whenever they can. The barest minimum of civilization is a latrine, where you dig a hole, shit into it and when full, bury the crap. When I was in the military on some exercises in the deep woods, one of the first things aside from setting up camp was to dig a deep hole for a latrine.

A lot of the unwillingness to change in India stems from tradition. They have even people who live in the cities and still continue that practice, because it feels more "natural" to them. That proves that if it is natural to carve out 10 people's hearts every morning, then people get used to it and call it natural. "What? We have always been killing 10 people each morning just for good luck, why stop a perfectly good tradition?"

In some instances you gotta do it by force and fines. When education in Europe for children was started there was a huge resistance of the peasants. They had to send out the army to collect 6 year olds for school. The people will resist even changes they will benefit from, just because it goes against their previous experience.
One of many reasons why India will always be "the world's next superpower"
Actually in china, I have never seen anyone above the age of 8(?) shit in public. Sanitation is certainly not up to par with the west but miles ahead of India.
Quote: (07-09-2015 04:25 AM)Swooper Wrote:  

Actually in china, I have never seen anyone above the age of 8(?) shit in public. Sanitation is certainly not up to par with the west but miles ahead of India.

It's certainly not something you see in major cities. Adults and children piss literally everywhere, but you'll rarely see anyone pinching off a loaf.

However, if you head west, my understanding is that conditions farther from coastal China are pretty devastating. It could be an issue there.

I'm the King of Beijing!
With a population of one billion in India. There is another way of looking at this statistic.
500,000,000 or 50% of the Indian population now use toilets to crap in. A testiment to the advance of India as a more modern and civilised nation. This is not a bad statistic but a good one!
As Speakeasy pointed out this was never a issue when you had people in rural villages taking dumps in a back medow, but with rapid urbanization you turn towns and cities into bio-zones quickly doing stuff like this.

In Victoria London when they would throw thier shit in the streets from the chamber pots it all just ran downstream and back into the water killing people from cross a contamination.

This is a case of modernization happening faster then rural cultures can adjust. I don't know if it more education that is needed but a middle ground has to be met. In other developing nations they still squat to shit but they build a sanitary drop hole which is incased in concrete for them to shit in.
Quote: (07-09-2015 04:56 AM)Suits Wrote:  

It's certainly not something you see in major cities. Adults and children piss literally everywhere, but you'll rarely see anyone pinching off a loaf.

However, if you head west, my understanding is that conditions farther from coastal China are pretty devastating. It could be an issue there.

I'll never forget my last visit to Shanghai where a mother helped her ~3 year old son piss all over the wooden floor in a nice restaurant, a few meters from the door to the several available toilets.
Quote: (07-09-2015 07:18 AM)MikeS Wrote:  

Quote: (07-09-2015 04:56 AM)Suits Wrote:  

I'll never forget my last visit to Shanghai where a mother helped her ~3 year old son piss all over the wooden floor in a nice restaurant, a few meters from the door to the several available toilets.

Keep in mind, this is the country where I recently had a coworker tell that her parents would never allow her to marry me, because she was born in the year of the snake and I was born in the year of the tiger.

High level thinking here.

I'm the King of Beijing!