rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Considering applying for a job with an old employer

Problem is, I worked for this guy when I was 20 and it didn't really go that well. Not a disaster, but not well. The problem was my lack of experience and general lack of structure.

Now this guy is running a department at a lobby organization offering a pretty cool gig that I am considering applying for.

I am going to give him a ring and try to feel him out if I will be rejected out of hand or have a possible shot.

Any advice on ways to approach this?

EDIT. This was 8 years ago and all those "glitches" are fixed.

A year from now you'll wish you started today

I've done something similar to this in the past. If it's a large organisation and there were other people, aside from the guy you mentioned, you worked well with then contact them first and try to get them to support you in getting hired.

As an aside: If you believe you will be dependent on regular type work in the future never blow your top when leaving an employer. No matter how much you may want to. Even if the city you work in has a few million people in it the world really is a lot smaller than it seems. Everything you do WILL come back to you.

Depending on your rapport, I'd call apologize and ask to go to lunch. If you can't bury the bone, you dont want to work for him anyways.

Good luck!

I've worked for the same employer twice - first starting in 1997 then again in 2007.

Career-wise it was a disaster. Everybody assumed my skills were the same as they were the first time round, so I never got any career progression.

The biggest satisfaction was that I left in 2012 on double the salary I was on when I left the first time around.

So give it ago, but IMHO it's such a beta thing to do.

It depends

I worked for the same guy and in both cases things were good.
Calling him will be good. Keep it to the point and if the past comes up say that you are older and wiser.

Better the devil you know

"I love a fulfilling and sexual relationship. That is why I make the effort to have many of those" - TheMaleBrain
"Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb." - Spaceballs
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine" - Obi-Wan Kenobi