rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Teens invent color-changing condoms to warn of STDs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/33...ve-company

Three teenage boys from Britain have won a TeenTech Award for an invention beyond their years. The 13- and 14-year-olds came up with the idea for a condom that changes colors if it comes into contact with a sexually transmitted disease.

Daanyaal Ali, Chirag Shah and Muaz Nawaz, students at the Isaac Newton Academy in London, won in the "Future of Health" category. They dubbed their invention the "S.T.Eye" -- a play on STI, or sexually transmitted infection.

"We created the S.T.Eye as a new way for STI detection to help the future of the next generation," Ali, 14, said in an interview posted on the TeenTech website. "We wanted to make something that made detecting harmful STIs safer than ever before, so that people can take immediate action in the privacy of their own homes without the often-scary procedures at the doctors. We've made sure we're able to give peace of mind to users and let people act even more responsibly than ever before."

What they proposed is to cover the condoms with antibodies that would react and change color in the presence of bacteria or antigens found in infected bodily fluids.

"Once the fluids come into contact with the latex, if the person does have some sort of STI, it will cause a reaction through antibodies and antigens hanging on to each other, which triggers an antibody reaction causing a colour change," Ali told the BBC.

The boys said their invention is still at the concept stage, but they've been contacted by a condom manufacturer who may be interested in trying to bring it to market.

The three young inventors won £1,000 (about $1,500) for their school, and will reportedly get to go to Buckingham Palace.

The TeenTech Awards are given to recognize young achievers in science and technology across the U.K. More than 100 young innovators and inventors took part in the competition

[Image: popcorn5.gif]

Quote: (06-26-2015 12:23 PM)JayMillz Wrote:  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/33...ve-company

Three teenage boys from Britain have won a TeenTech Award for an invention beyond their years. The 13- and 14-year-olds came up with the idea for a condom that changes colors if it comes into contact with a sexually transmitted disease.

Daanyaal Ali, Chirag Shah and Muaz Nawaz, students at the Isaac Newton Academy in London, won in the "Future of Health" category. They dubbed their invention the "S.T.Eye" -- a play on STI, or sexually transmitted infection.

"We created the S.T.Eye as a new way for STI detection to help the future of the next generation," Ali, 14, said in an interview posted on the TeenTech website. "We wanted to make something that made detecting harmful STIs safer than ever before, so that people can take immediate action in the privacy of their own homes without the often-scary procedures at the doctors. We've made sure we're able to give peace of mind to users and let people act even more responsibly than ever before."

What they proposed is to cover the condoms with antibodies that would react and change color in the presence of bacteria or antigens found in infected bodily fluids.

"Once the fluids come into contact with the latex, if the person does have some sort of STI, it will cause a reaction through antibodies and antigens hanging on to each other, which triggers an antibody reaction causing a colour change," Ali told the BBC.

The boys said their invention is still at the concept stage, but they've been contacted by a condom manufacturer who may be interested in trying to bring it to market.

The three young inventors won £1,000 (about $1,500) for their school, and will reportedly get to go to Buckingham Palace.

The TeenTech Awards are given to recognize young achievers in science and technology across the U.K. More than 100 young innovators and inventors took part in the competition

This sounds dodgy to me. A couple of teenagers have actually created the technology where antibodies coming into contact with an STI will cause the condom to change colour? How did they carry out the research and testing required to produce this kind of technology?

And how could STI detecting condoms be possible? For example, tests for gonnerhea and chlamidiya in men require urine samples or swabs to detect the bacteria in the urethra which would not be exposed to the condom.

As someone who works in the Immunological field the invention sounds like bullshit that is just a concept. Antibodies don't change color when they bind. They have to be conjugated to something like a gold nanoparticle which pregnancy tests use. I doubt you'll be covering your condoms is hazardous liquids to put in some sloot's anus. Even if you go that route it still wouldn't be able to properly detect it since the antibody would be red without any movent to indicate binding. I'm not sure antibodies have the sensitivity to detect bacteria in a freeform like that. You generally need an enzyme to increase sensitivity. The antibodies also won't be stable or have any shelf life on latex along with the huge cost of coating condoms with antibodies.

Cliffs: Probably won't be investing in this idea

So they had an "idea" that they "proposed" and is still in the "concept stage." Right. So they have nothing. This is not an invention at all, it is a concept. Presumably they can conjugate to a fluorescing compound, or some other chemical that causes a color change upon anti-body binding.

Have they thought about false positive rates? False negative rates? Have they even had sex? I hope they filed a patent application, because if not, they've just created their own prior art (at least in Europe).

Quote: (06-26-2015 01:17 PM)Menace Wrote:  

So they had an "idea" that they "proposed" and is still in the "concept stage." Right. So they have nothing. This is not an invention at all, it is a concept. Presumably they can conjugate to a fluorescing compound, or some other chemical that causes a color change upon anti-body binding.

Have they thought about false positive rates? False negative rates? Have they even had sex? I hope they filed a patent application, because if not, they've just created their own prior art (at least in Europe).

They're 14 years old.

[Image: 4e17bd6ea8.jpg]

Antibodies in itself don't automatically show that you have an STD - just that you have been in contact with it. You would require a sizable amount of it. Somehow I doubt that the test will be as easy as that. Some STDs even produce false positives after extensive blood tests. That condom will probably light up falsely so often, that it will become the biggest cock-block out there.

I heard it on the radio, reminded myself why I don't listen to the radio, thought it was the most stupid idea I've ever heard, and then realized nobody in their right mind would ever purchase this product or technology.

"Money over bitches, nigga stick to the script." - Jay-Z
They gonna love me for my ambition.

The best thing about all these anti-rape, anti-std, etc precaution technologies is that they're a great way to screen for girls with a screw loose who are likely to false rape accuse you.

They should invent a condom that glows blue to warn you when you´re about to stick your dick in crazy
or are too close to a fat/busted/feminist slut.

[Image: a63a49c2e59a07a267c8e15f67fa442a.jpg]

Besides the issues around selling something covered in biological matter (antibodies) over the counter, am I the only one who sees the major issue being that these things have to actually come into contact with the STD to work - that is, if they ever do get "invented"?

You either wear it and hope that when you finish it hasn't changed colour, and if it does then the pair of you argue over who almost gave who the clap; or you have some awkward conversation beforehand like "Hey baby, before we get down to business would you mind if I stuff this condom in your twat to see if you have any STD's? No baby I wasn't implying you're a disease-ridden whore, don't be that way!"

Or if you sneakily slip one on your fingers before digital penetration even:

Her: "Ooh baby I want to feel you inside me"
You: "Waitaminute, lemme just check this thing... GREEN??? You didn't say you had syphilis, LATER BIATCH!!"

Surely you would need to be using some sort of nanotechnology for this to work?

Maybe they should move to the clinical trial stage.

Something tells me these gents won't themselves be the test subjects.

Maybe the forum membership should volunteer?

What a great product and even better journalism.

1. This technology doesn't even exist in the laboratory yet. It would be great if the nurse just had to rub your cock with her special latex glove and get instant results. Well, she'd get some results from me but not the STI diagnostics. They have to take urine and blood samples for a reason. HIV and herpes aren't just chilling on the surface.

2. Who wants to wrap his dick in a chemical blanket? Design a lab-on-chip system that requires a piss-jizz-blood cocktail (sounds like the celebratory drink of the #LoveWins crowd) that gives couples a green light before having sex.

3. Lack of condom use is the culprit in the first place. Those young kids don't know any better but the experts should have: condoms are shit. We wouldn't have such a problem with sexually transmitted diseases if people used protection. If you don't want to use a normal latex condom then you're definitely not gonna use this fucking thing.

What's the point, really? Apart from all the pitfalls the other posts ITT listed already, when you're wearing a condom and fucking someone with an STI, the whole question if that girl has an STI is kind of moot already and it's too late. Condoms already protect you from most STIs so just knowing that after the fact when you've fucked someone with a condom is just pointless.

Of course the rawdog crew who thinks they are the pullout professionals or something and are the actual people who are at risk of getting and STI and would maybe somehow profit from such a technology won't use condoms anyway.

tl;dr
People who used condoms = will still use condoms to prevent STIs and it won't matter if they stay the same color or turn chameleon
People who don't use condoms = will still not use condoms and brag on RVF that they're the pullout kings while being at risk of getting an STI

Yeah, I can't see this getting any headway even if it is real.

People who know they have an STD will be more motivated to skip condums. And for those who don't know or arent sure if they have an STD, the last scenario they want to find out is when putting on a condum with someone they're about to have sex with.

Talk about pressure.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

So sort of like a traffic light systems? Green is go red is get the fuck outta there.

People who don't care about STDs don't use condoms anyway.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Pull Out King.
Fearless Rawdogger.
Not bragging...
?