rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Female EMT fired for refusing to respond to dying infant

Quote:Quote:

DETROIT — A Detroit Fire Department EMT, less than a mile away from the home of an infant in cardiac arrest, refused to respond according to two internal investigations. The child was revived, but died later.

The 8-month-old infant was 0.9 miles away from the quick response SUV of EMT Ann Marie Thomas, but Thomas took six minutes to reach the incident and then parked her unit on a street corner away from the incident. Thomas told dispatchers unit "33 is in position on Pembroke around the corner from the scene," reported WDIV.

In the investigation report, Thomas told her boss, "I'm not about to be on no scene 10 minutes doing CPR, you know how these families get."

A supervisor, in the dispatch audio, is heard ordering Thomas, who was just a few streets away after a previous call, to get to the house. "Thirty-three, I’m going to need you to make that scene," said the Detroit Fire EMS supervisor. "You’re going to have to make patient contact."

http://www.ems1.com/ems-products/cpr-res...ac-arrest/

DETROIT — An EMT who refused to respond to a call for an infant in cardiac arrest has been fired after two internal investigations.

Detroit Fire Commissioner Edsel Jenkins said EMT Ann Marie Thomas is no longer employed with the Detroit Fire Department, ClickOnDetroit.com reports.

"Today, we conducted an appeals hearing, which Ms. Thomas requested,” Jenkins said in a statement. “After reviewing all of the facts of this incident, I have determined that the appropriate course of action is to terminate Ms. Thomas' employment with the Detroit Fire Department effective immediately.”

Thomas was less than a mile away from the home of an infa 8-month-old in cardiac arrest. She took six minutes to reach the scene, then parked her unit on a street corner away from the incident. In the internal investigation report, Thomas said, “I’m not about to be on no scene 10 minutes doing CPR; you know how these families get.”

Dispatch continued to update Thomas, saying the infant was born premature and was hooked up to an oxygen machine, and that the mother performed CPR on scene. The infant was revived and transported to a hospital, but later died.

http://www.ems1.com/ems-products/neonata...or-infant/

"The point is, marriage is stupid. Every year there are a million hot, new 22-year olds going into bars, and call me glass-half-full, but I think they're getting dumber." -Barney Stinson

I think this story says more about Detroit than it does about female EMTs.

I'm the King of Beijing!

Suits, can't say I've never been but, from what I've heard it wouldn't surprise me. I think the fact that she was initially suspended rather than fired was definitely an attempt at a pussy pass. I don't know their disciplinary process. Every where I have worked, I would have been walking out the door without a job and possibly wearing cuffs.

"The point is, marriage is stupid. Every year there are a million hot, new 22-year olds going into bars, and call me glass-half-full, but I think they're getting dumber." -Barney Stinson

This doesn't sound like a female issue, as much as it is an individual's low conscientiousness issue.

Thomas remarked: "I’m not about to be on no scene 10 minutes doing CPR; you know how these families get."

List of traits related to conscientiousness from Wikipedia:

I am always prepared.
I pay attention to details.
I get chores done right away.
I like order.
I follow a schedule.
I am exacting in my work.
I leave my belongings around. (reversed)
I make a mess of things. (reversed)
I often forget to put things back in their proper place. (reversed)
I shirk my duties. (reversed)

And women are generally higher in conscientiousness than men.

This could be re-titled "Black EMT Fired for Refusing to Respond to Dying Infant" with no attrition in insightfulness.

#NoSingleMoms
#NoHymenNoDiamond
#DontWantDaughters

Quote: (06-25-2015 11:44 PM)Medic42 Wrote:  

A supervisor, in the dispatch audio, is heard ordering Thomas, who was just a few streets away after a previous call, to get to the house. "Thirty-three, I’m going to need you to make that scene," said the Detroit Fire EMS supervisor. "You’re going to have to make patient contact."

Haha, "you're going to have to make patient contact" sounds fucking hilarious. Like some kind of alien encounter, special forces mission, or Level 5 containment lab shit.

I don't understand the actual protest here to begin with. Was it a bad neighborhood?

Quote: (06-26-2015 06:22 AM)Vicious Wrote:  

I don't understand the actual protest here to begin with. Was it a bad neighborhood?

If you don't work emergency services, you wouldn't see the bad journalism here.

There is about a 99.9% chance the call came in "Parents woke up, the baby is cold, blue an unresponsive.". Baby died several hours ago, sometime last night.

The blue baby call is a horrifically grueling event emotionally for first responders, one you'll never forget no matter how often you get shot at or spat on during other calls. You have to treat the baby as alive, and keep performing CPR, as the parents go into their own horrific emotional death. It's not fun, but you still have to do it, EMT sucks for not being willing to try. Her "Feeewwwiings" might be hurt by other people's suffering.