rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Is HBO's Ballers The New Playmakers? (Includes NSFW Video Clip)

I've been looking forward to checking out HBO's dramatic take on life outside of professional football in the form of The Rock's new show, Ballers, which premiered last night, and I'm glad to say I wasn't disappointed.

I was a fan of ESPN's Playmakers, which came on a decade ago and was cancelled after one season due to pressure from the NFL because the show was telling too many truths about professional football on and off the field. Recently, I managed to relate a scene from the series finale of the show to a lesson in game in my last edition of Real Talk Sessions: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-48213.html

HBO's drama seems to be a different take in that it's focusing more on the business and life off the field than the game prior to and on Sundays -- the main character in the show is a financial advisor, whereas in ESPN's show there were multiple lead characters whose lives were followed on and off the field.

All in all, I thought the season premiere of Ballers was dope, it takes place in Miami -- real Miami, not L.A. acting as Miami which happens frequently in television shows -- which for me is an added bonus.

The show definitely has some potential; hopefully it continues to develop it's story and is unafraid to push the envelope to capture the real shit that happens in a world that most people can only fantasize about.

Here's a great scene from the premiere that plays out what is a rather typical experience at a big club on South Beach, a place where regular guys are more often than not invisible and won't have access to the hottest girls/sluts/freaks who are often in VIP areas or trying to get into those areas as they are on the prowl for athletes and other celebrity/perceived celebrity types; I've seen and lived this scene myself throughout the years.

Enjoy.

Why do guy idolize football players????

Quite frankly, who gives a fuck...

I have a good friend that is a former player. Plenty of gayshit back in the 90's, in the locker room, but other than that I pull much better tang than he does.

Who fucking cares?

A lot of cornerbacks were gay as a three dollar bill back in the day. Not much different today.

Quote: (06-22-2015 03:05 AM)Hotwheels Wrote:  

I have a good friend that is a former player. Plenty of gayshit back in the 90's, in the locker room, but other than that I pull much better tang than he does.

Who fucking cares?

A lot of cornerbacks were gay as a three dollar bill back in the day. Not much different today.

[Image: 1418.gif]

I've been excited about this show for a while. It's always interesting to take a look at a lifestyle that you do not live. I watched Playmakers all the way through last year, and I was surprised the NFL let it go past one episode. I think that if this show is successful, it will make it easier for more like it. With most television being about groups of white or "ethnically diverse" friends living a SWPL life in the big city, I appreciate shows like this.

Quote: (06-22-2015 03:05 AM)Hotwheels Wrote:  

Who fucking cares?

I keep looking, but I miss the part where this thread is about the idolization of football players.

I'm sure there are some guys here who are fans of sports dramas and would be interested in the show.

I hardly see how any of that has to do with your ex-player friend and how much "gay shit" was happening in the game in the 90s.

If you're really looking for "who gives a fuck" fodder, start with that information you provided. Ultimately, all your post did is raise the question as to why do guys try to sabotage threads with unsolicited, off-topic opinions.

Just watched the first episode and this show definitely has the potential to be a great series.

Quote: (06-22-2015 07:26 AM)PrimeTime32 Wrote:  

Just watched the first episode and this show definitely has the potential to be a great series.
I like the show so far, I just hope it does not get the "Entourage" treatment where they start focusing on relationships and romance bullshit. Keep it a guy show and it will be popular for several seasons.

Delicious Tacos is the voice of my generation....

Just saw episode 1, looks sick

For guys who are familiar with the Miami club scene, specifically South Beach, that scene I posted above is perfect.

When tall, big, Black guys are in VIP at big-name SoBe clubs, women automatically assume they are professional athletes, that's why she immediately opens him with "What team do you play for?"

He could have smashed in the bathroom if he just played along and kept it simple, instead, he actually tells her the truth, that he's retired and his shit is complicated -- if you're hitting up night clubs looking for fast sex, the truth is the last thing you should be telling.

SoBe club rats don't want to hear all that noise, which is why she dismissed him immediately. At the end of the day, they just want stories to tell, like "Yeah, I fucked this guy last night, he plays for the Dolphins".

She also gave Ricky the classic answer when he asked her what she does for a living, "I'm in branding".

When Miami girls tell you they're in branding, that usually means they work sporadically for different companies for promotional events, most are just wannabe models who are often broke -- those jobs don't pay that well -- which is why they're trolling SoBe clubs for dudes with money, trying to get put on.

When you're going out how those guys are going out, with money and status, then you're really playing night game here, but most guys in these clubs are spectators at-best, and in some SoBe clubs, if you're not in VIP, the dope girls won't even talk to you.

Good pilot to introduce the characters and theme.

A man is only as faithful as his options-Chris Rock

Has an entourage type feel. I think Mark Wahlbarg is apart of the series as well. Hope it does well, I like how the Rock is staying relevant from WWE to moviestar

This looks like its going to be a good one.

Millions of teenage girls are watching that scene and are going to want to fuck in the restroom of a club when they get a bit older. Seriously. Man I love how TV works.

Quote: (06-22-2015 02:20 PM)rpg Wrote:  

Millions of teenage girls are watching that scene and are going to want to fuck in the restroom of a club when they get a bit older. Seriously. Man I love how TV works.

That's already been a rather common fantasy, remember this song?

I liked Playmakers. I thought it was super lame when it got cancelled. Ray Lewis being so against it and basically saying it was bullshit and not accurate was hilarious. They could have written his entire murder case right into the show.

I haven't seen Ballers yet, but I hope it doesn't go the direction of Entourage. I really liked the first few seasons, but then that shit got lame.

I'm a big fan of the Rock. I'd like to see him play some good roles. The guy always seems to end up in shitty movies.

Quote: (06-22-2015 04:08 PM)RioNomad Wrote:  

I liked Playmakers. I thought it was super lame when it got cancelled. Ray Lewis being so against it and basically saying it was bullshit and not accurate was hilarious. They could have written his entire murder case right into the show.

I haven't seen Ballers yet, but I hope it doesn't go the direction of Entourage. I really liked the first few seasons, but then that shit got lame.

I'm a big fan of the Rock. I'd like to see him play some good roles. The guy always seems to end up in shitty movies.

I have a feeling it could lean into the Entourage direction since Entourage was such a big hit but with a football theme. tThey only released the pilot episode so we'll see. Hopefully it doesn't get cancelled also!

I am not a football fan but the reality and the business side of professional sports are interesting to me, I enjoyed the first episode, hopefully this gets picked up.

Didn't know this, but the dude "Ricky" is played by Denzel Washington's son.

Big fan of The Rock these days, it seems like his career is firing on all cylinders. Much respect for him as of late. Tempted to get the HBO streaming service, this may do it. If you want to get inspired follow his Instagram.

Remember LeToya Luckett from Destiny's Child?

[Image: 20az5ht.jpg]

I clicked for the NSFW clip but also looking forward to the show.

^ Wb

Just watched the pilot on HBO Go, not bad. Shows potential. Will continue watching.

Vice-Captain - #TeamWaitAndSee

I really enjoyed the first episode, definitely looking forward to this season.

Quote: (06-22-2015 08:29 PM)eradicator Wrote:  

^ Wb

LeToya is fine as all hell. She was shittin' on Beyonce back in the day, that's why B wanted her out of the group. They finally kicked her out on some bullshit after she modeled for the cover of Tariq Nasheed's The Art of Mackin.

Quote: (06-22-2015 08:40 PM)jariel Wrote:  

Quote: (06-22-2015 08:29 PM)eradicator Wrote:  

^ Wb

LeToya is fine as all hell. She was shittin' on Beyonce back in the day, that's why B wanted her out of the group. They finally kicked her out on some bullshit after she modeled for the cover of Tariq Nasheed's The Art of Mackin.
Note: Real Hair, Real Eyes my kind of girl.

Delicious Tacos is the voice of my generation....