rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What do you travel around with?

Backpacks or rolling luggage carriers? Any ideas on how to avoid looking like a tourist/backpacker, while still carrying around more than your phone and wallet? You don't want to look like a target in some of the 3rd world countries I would think.

You are only carrying your bag to the hotel the first day you get to a city, so it doesn't matter.

Check out this thread on Suiting up while while traveling:
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-3502.html

Regardless, you could leave your things in the city for a few days (many train stations, for example the one in bangkok, have baggage storage) and use a pocket backpack for the trip. REI sells them, they are about 2"x4" folded up and hold a good amount when let out.

If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It's the only good fight there is.

Disable "Click here to Continue"

My Testosterone Adventure: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V

Quote:Quote:
if it happened to you it’s your fault, I got no sympathy and I don’t believe your version of events.

If you have a nice, sleek-looking backpack, you should be alright. I use this backpack, and I think it's appearance is more clean and more put-together than what the backpackers carry.

[Image: Porter_46_back.jpg]

It opens like a suitcase which is very convenient for getting to your stuff without the backpack hassle of taking everything out.

Or you could go with Fisto's advice to use a duffel. I've been upgrading my style recently and have thought of switching over to a stylish duffel as i think it would fit the new look better. This may not be the best idea if you spend a lot of time hiking around, but if you travel mostly airports and straight to the hotel, it's fine.

As for phone and wallet, I generally put those in my bag these days. I've never had a bag stolen (knock on wood) and keep it pretty close, but I'll often keep my debit card in my pocket just in case. When I'm not en route, I've generally got my laptop bag with me as I'm always working, so I put wallet and phone in there most of the time.

If you'd rather keep the wallet in your pocket, get one of these.

[Image: Free-Shipping-wholesale-100-genuine-Cow-...50x350.jpg]

I like them better because wallets are way too bulky for my tastes, and I'm already a big guy, so a wallet in my back pocket isn't very flattering (or secure). I prefer one of these slipped into the front pocket and it's a lot less noticeable.

It can be a nuisance when you get a lot of small bills, but you can always temporarily tuck those in the pocket and then use them next time you make a purchase. Or try to find one with a healthy-sized cash pocket. If you don't use a lot of cash, won't be a problem much.

You also might consider one of these (wear under pants, obviously) for when you're on the road.
[Image: 2013011512393250396_lrg.jpg]

Might be overkill but they're very secure if traveling through a shady region - most people will never imagine this is tucked away on your leg, and you'll know that even if your bag gets stolen you've got money, passport, and cards tucked on your leg.

As for phones, try getting in the habit of leaving it at the room. Wean yourself off if possible.

I carry mine these days because it makes for easy work email checks, and I just leave it in my laptop bag or under the seat of the motorbike when cruising around town, but I'm trying to get in the habit of leaving it behind in the room more often because I use it way too often when I don't need to be using it. If that's a problem for you, leave it in the room, or at least turn it off and leave it in your bag when you don't need it.

I need to work on heeding my own advice here, but I think modern men would do well to break away from the phone a bit more and live in their surroundings more.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

I hate rolling bags, personally. I use this Killspencer backpack:

[Image: black_leather_daypack_fron-copy_6.jpg]

with the Filson Medium Travel Bag:
[Image: ce876ca9_3409177548_0efa3a9029_z.jpeg]

I'm going to be upgrading this to a Killspencer Weekender bag. This is the bag with the same backpack and basically the same outfit, the kind of look I go for.

[Image: Screen_Shot_2015_06_15_at_11_41_22_PM.png]

The VERY last thing I want to look like is that I'm going hiking. I wear nice leather shoes, usually some designer leather sneakers or loafters, boot cut Bonobos jeans and a black v-neck or polo shirt. I also have a "travel blazer" by Uniqlo which is VERY compact and doesn't wrinkle for those nice nights on the town. I keep my wallet in my breast pocket sometimes or a compact camera/phone. I also have an awesome pair of Lululemon pants that have zipper pockets, they are basically the perfect pant for travelling. Secure with zip pockets, very lightweight and they look decent with a blazer or a nice windbreaker.

Ultralight blazer
http://www.uniqlo.com/us/product/men-ult...htweight/~

Lululemon Pants (kind of like this)
http://shop.lululemon.com/products/cloth...smpantsgym

My wallet is a front pocket wallet/card case whenever I'm traveling in a metro area.

Oh yeah, I actually bought a "fanny pack" but a pretty nice one by LEXDRAY. It looks like a larger camera case and you can secure it to a belt buckle pretty securely. It doesn't carry that much, but more than your pockets. If you have a compact camera its a nice option.

http://www.lexdray.com/products/stratton-soft-case

[Image: Aspen-Case_0a283e1b-38c9-459f-910c-2c98c98a258e.jpg]

^ Slick backpack there, Drazen.

I have been using both backpacks and rolling bags.
It really depends on what kind of trip you are doing to choose which one is more convinient.

Example: When I travelled around in Russia I had a rolling bag, I moved around a lot and mostly in cities and train stations where it was comfortable having a rolling bag. However the downside with a rolling bag is when I wanted to take a piss at a overcrowded toilet in a train or bus station and it was sometimes impossible to get inside with a large rolling bag. Then a backpack would have been more suitable.

Currently I'm rocking with a Samsonite roller and a leather shoulder bag.

[Image: attachment.jpg26831]   

Good ideas, basically just don't look like a hiker. Also I'd never keep my wallet in my back pocket Beyond Borders, I've actually read a book on pick pocketing, and the easiest targets are people that have wallets in their back pockets and women who leave their purses lying around.

I was actually thinking of getting something like this. http://www.adventureunderwear.com/#products
No one is take your underpants, hopefully...

I never get called a tourist or a backpacker.

[Image: 71obFtEjQQL._SL1000_.jpg]

[Image: wild-turkey-101-rye-whiskey_1.jpeg]

[Image: ear-plugs.jpg]

[Image: malibu_drug_rehab_040711l-300x300.jpg]

[Image: cs-fka.jpg]

[Image: testosterone-cypionate-injection-bottle.jpg]

Quote: (06-16-2015 01:59 PM)LINUX Wrote:  

I never get called a tourist or a backpacker.

[Image: 71obFtEjQQL._SL1000_.jpg]

Wheres that backpack from?

^ 5.11 Tactical

I really like the look of the GORUCK range.

http://www.goruck.com/gr1-black-/p/GEAR-000066

[Image: GoRuckGR1_6.png]

"Osprey" has a series of convertible (suitcase/backpack) travel luggage, from 40 to 70 liters in size - with a small detachable day pack - which converts to kangaroo style luging, if needed.

Here's the "Farpoint" 55 liter reviewed with top ratings:

The Porter, The Wayfarer, The Tempest, The Escapist - there are too many to keep up on all of them.

I went with the Farpoint 55 because it got rave reviews at Amazon, was suited for any length trip - and although not carry on sized, under-packed and out of high season air travel, it will work. (In a pinch, just zip off the carry on day pack and check the bigger bag into luggage.)

Plus, many have said it shined on monthlong travel trips - precisely my purpose.

Like this guy, doing a 6 month trip in Asia:

And here's a comment explaining how to 'squeeze fit' carry-on bag restrictions. THIS works!
Quote:Quote:

It's not technically approved carry-on... I have never had any problems. Most airlines have a 45 linear inch restriction. This backpack is about 26 x 14 x 9 so it is a little big but as long as you don't overfill it you can compress it down. I also detach the daypack and use it as my "personal item" and haven't been turned down yet.

(Osprey includes a lifetime warranty. They are based in SW Colorado, near the "four-corners region" of Durango - but originally from Cali. Like many firms in sportswear and sporting goods, they needed lower overhead and moved to the intermountain west in the last decade or so.)

PS I see Beyond Borders is rockin' with the Porter from Osprey! What can I say except that Great Minds think alike!

“There is no global anthem, no global currency, no certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag, and that flag is the American flag!” -DJT